Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to Acronis true image 2018 from a previous version of true image, and if so what do you think of it?

I do have 2010 version myself working fine in windows 7, but only the initial release version will work in windows 10.

I notice now that you do have to activate and just wonder if Acronis are understanding in this regard, for example allocating extra activations should you happen to use them up through hard drive failure etc?

I just got an email from them for a three computer licence upgrade for £20.99 for a perpetual licence.

Thanks for any info.
Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 09/28/17 05:06 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have purchased it (upgraded from 2017), but haven't used it yet, but will as I'll be doing my October monthly image very soon.

You do have to activate it on each computer (I have the 3-pack license); however, I have found that if you download the Linux image (which is slightly different from the one you create from within Windows, it seems to work fine without "phoning home". The activated copy lets you do backups from within the Windows environment in real time while you are doing other things (although I've often wondered what would happen if I was working on a file it was trying to back up).

I'll post back after I use it. I usually use it for full disk images, booting form the DVD anyway.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have Acronis 2016 for 5 computers but have no reason to update - I skipped 2017 and will skip 2018.

I'm sure 2018 is more up-to-date, fine tuned, maybe better interface, etc. but nothing Earth shattering to me. I use it on WIN XP, WIN 7, and Win 10 (3 installs) but still have one license to go becasue on a multi-boot PC - Acronis only counts itself as being installed once no matter how many boot drives it is installed on for that PC (actually a lot of SW works that way).

The touted new features of 2018 are unimportant to me.

I probably WON'T update Acronis unless/until 2016 version becomes incompatible with some future Win 10 update and I am forced to update Acronis, or they advertise a newer Acronis that is significantly faster, compresses better, etc.

I DO LOVE Acronis and I have tested the recover images on EACH drive and each OS (at least one) and actually recovered a laptop three times (while I was building up it's SW I tinkered too much and had to go back a few steps LOL), and I've recovered my desktop multiple times - sometimes easier and faster than trying to "undo" some experimental installs or undo some excessive "tinkering."

Every time I do an image (once a week for desktop with incremental every night - and have copies on both internal and external drives that are physically elsewhere).

Even with incremental backups - I also keep a log of all SW installed, patched, updated, etc. since last full image so I can get back to where I was (minus whatever caused me to re-image drive) - just in case!

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been using Acronis True Image Home since version 10 (which came out around 2007), so about a decade now. And I've done successful backups and (even more importantly) successful restores with every version since then.

I did upgrade (it wasn't expensive), but I agree with Larry that the new features aren't that major.

I have on occasion had a problem where a restored image didn't boot properly immediately after a restore, but I just loaded the OS disk, and repaired boot, and everything worked fine.

I have also used Acronis Disk Director to successfully resize and move partitions (usually in the process of upgrading to a new hard disk. Disk director also used to include a very nice Dual Boot utility in version 10, but they dropped that in version 11 because it kept crashing. I was involved in the testing of that way back when and lots of folks were not happy when they dropped the dual boot support (you got a very nice graphical user interface to select which OS you wanted to boot into. And now on Disk Director 12, they haven't brought it back. No matter, I haven't felt the need to dual boot in a long time (especially after I bought VMWare and just run other OS's in a virtual machine).

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been using Acronis since Norton Ghost gave up the ghost wink

I've yet to upgrade though. I'm in the beginning of a new disk release, and as soon as that settles down I plan to get the upgrade.

It's not expensive and if it lets me backup important files to the cloud without stifling performance, it's worth the money.

Right now I load my customer database up to the cloud, encrypted, and to a secret location manually (no customer credit card numbers are either kept on my site or uploaded).

If anyone has tried that function, let me know how it works. I'll probably upgrade anyway even if I can't use that function.

Insights and incites by Notes.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi folks,

Well went ahead and put in order for a perpetual licence, got an email from Cleverbridge, must be some sort of payment system run by Acronis confirming my order and asking for payment.

I choose Paypal, I was directed to paypal page and correct amount shown, but after reading the instruction there I am very reluctant to agree and pay, as I think this could well be a auto renew system where Cleverbridge could take additional monies next year even though I don't want to upgrade, I would be giving them permission to automatically upgrade and they of course would take payment.

This is the wording on the paypal site,

"By clicking Agree and Pay I confirm that I want to use mybanks name for my current and future purchases with cleverbridge AG. I authorise cleverbridge AG to charge my PayPal account for such purchases and I instruct PayPal to pay such amounts. I understand this lets me check out faster by not having to log in to PayPal to complete my purchase. I understand that if I have a PayPal balance, that balance will be used first and that if my preferred funding source has expired or been declined, PayPal will charge my backup funding source. I can change my preferred funding source or cancel this authorisation at any time in my PayPal Account. The payments will be treated by PayPal as pre-approved payments as specified in the PayPal User Agreement"

In my opinion not clear at all as I don't want any money being taken automatically from my account by auto renew, a very common practice nowadays with a lot of companies.

Just wondering how anyone else sees this?
Thanks
Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 09/29/17 06:12 AM.

Musiclover

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
That would be a show stopper for me. I might have to look at some of the free image backup programs and/or a different paid one if/when I have to upgrade.

The only programs that I have on auto renewal are anti-malwarebytes and Sound Cloud. Both which I use very frequently and find valuable enough to pay each year. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well I think I have managed to sort it out, I went into settings on Paypal and then under payments, manage pre approved payments, you can cancel pre approved payments which should sort it. Cleverbridge are indeed there.

It might be a quicker way to check out as they say and not have to go to paypal but I prefer having control over it.

On acronis 18 itself it installed ok and did a backup of a partition but I can't see any of the old backups done with 2010 acronis.

Ah well that's software or maybe I'm on a bit of a learning curve here.

Musiclover

Musiclover

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Musiclover,

Thanks, that's definitely good feedback for others. A very worthwhile learning curve, probably.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,708
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197