Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#431818 - 09/30/17 06:34 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: GT40John]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: GT40John
To all,

I downloaded the ASIO driver and it's on the laptop ready for the next time I work on BiaB. I'll let you know if it works for getting rid of that message "Couldn't open wave device."

Big thanks to all on this forum. Your help and enthusiasm is quite wonderful.

John,

Thanks for posting the screenshot. It helps a lot.

Looking at your setup, the program should be running. Also, for what it's worth, BIAB is much friendly with MME than ASIO so it's likely that the ASIO drive might not solve the problem.

Try this as an experiment and see if it helps...

When you start up BIAB, rightclick on the startup icon and select "Run as administrator".

Also, when you installed the program, which option did you choose?

Regards,
Noel

#431824 - 09/30/17 11:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: Noel96]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Example text: Here is the file:

Well picked up Trevor! That completely eluded me.

Ha, Noel. Don't worry, I've been caught before (more than once). That's why I took a guess on the text.
Trev

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#431825 - 09/30/17 11:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: Noel96]
GT40John Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canby, Oregon
Noel,

I started BiaB. I then right clicked on the PC start icon.

I only see 2 things: Properties AND Open windows explorer.

I don't see "Run as administrator"

#431827 - 09/30/17 11:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: GT40John]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: GT40John
Noel,

I started BiaB. I then right clicked on the PC start icon.

I only see 2 things: Properties AND Open windows explorer.

I don't see "Run as administrator"

You don't see this when you Right-click on the desktop icon?

Attachments
2017-10-01_17-20-55.jpg

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#431828 - 09/30/17 11:25 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: Noel96]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

I think it's supposed to be Right-Click (!) (Unless the mouse buttons are swapped.)

#431829 - 09/30/17 11:30 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: VideoTrack]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I think it's supposed to be Right-Click (!) (Unless the mouse buttons are swapped.)

Thanks Trev. My brain seems to be in topsy-turvy land today... it must be yesterday's grand final.

I've removed my above (and very incorrect) post so as not to muddy the waters.

Regards,
Noel

#431830 - 09/30/17 11:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: VideoTrack]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Also can set here, right click > Properties:

Attachments
BB_Admin.jpg

#431842 - 10/01/17 06:49 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: Pipeline]
GT40John Offline
Enthusiast

2 things I did.

1) I thought you meant the "Start" icon for the Windows PC at bottom left of desktop. My bad!

2) I had opened BiaB and didn't see the "Run Administrator". So I right clicked on the BiaB start icon (with BiaB still closed) and NOW I SEE "Run Administrator".
It asks if I want to make changes to the computer with BiaB.

What is next?

#431843 - 10/01/17 06:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: GT40John]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Allow it to make changes... that's what running in Administrator mode is about. BIAB is safe to run in Admin mode.

The aim is to see if running in administrator mode makes a difference. PG Music recommend that BIAB should be run in this mode... it needs to be tested on your computer.

Once you have BIAB running in Administrator Mode, use the program exactly as you would normally and see if the problems still arise.

#431846 - 10/01/17 08:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: GT40John]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I just re-read this thread. I think we are running John unnecessarily through the wringer here.

I agree about Running BIAB as Administrator, which is recommended, cannot do harm, and in some cases is required.

The initial post describes symptoms of BIAB being flaky, but remember, it DID work once. That makes me think all this about drivers is taking us off target.

John, the first thing we do when BIAB was behaving fine but starts acting up, it to reboot the machine and restart BIAB. Obviously, you must have done this many times since your initial report.

The second thing we do is go to the Options menu and do Return to Factory Settings. You can save any custom settings as you do this.

Then close BIAB, reboot and restart. Report back.

If it still has the same problem, I would like to resume the discussion about the audio device. We still do not know what is being used.

If that doesn't pan out, then I'm thinking John should reinstall the program.

And there is always PG Music Support. They are superb. They can even remote-connect to your computer to help diagnose a problem. To get to them, click on the gray Support tab up above. Almost all of us in this forum are fellow users; we're pretty good, but not the ultimate resource.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#431848 - 10/01/17 08:27 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: Noel96]
GT40John Offline
Enthusiast

Hey guys,

You might have taken care of the problem! I did "Run Administrator" in BiaB.

I've then tried a lot of changes and I haven't seen the message [“MESSAGE: Couldn't open wave device. The likely cause is another program is using the audio playback, or has left drivers open.”] come up at all. Not even once. That's good and I hope it stays that way.

A BIG THANK YOU!

I still have the other question about stopping a style change when playing (on the Chordsheet).
My goal is simply to compare the styles for the song.

Here's what I do:
1) Open my song and play it (to listen to the style) / then I click stop. The song stops.
2) I go to Style Picker and select another style (listening in “Quick” mode – not chords of song)
3) When I find a style I like, I select it at “Play using current Chordsheet for song”
4) The chordsheet appears and plays the song using that newly chosen style. But it keeps playing.

QUESTION: How can I stop the song from playing without going to Task Manager?

None of the icons respond (including the STOP icon). The song plays to the end then starts all over again. This happens even with the “4 bar preview” [“Play using current Chordsheet for song”] selected at Style Picker”.

So far, I've only been able to stop the play by going to Task Manager, to End Process {T.M. only shows one process open for BiaB]. Otherwise it'll go on playing forever.

#431853 - 10/01/17 10:36 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: GT40John]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Your result for your second question is not normal behavior for that function. Something is amiss.

If you choose either the demo or the play over your chord chart button, the screen should not go back to the chord chart. (Number 4 on your list) It should remain on the Stylemaker page and either stop button should stop the playback. You can return to the chord chart page selecting either the OK or Cancel button. Back on the Chord chart page, you can change anything--- key, tempo instruments, chords, etc.

I recommend you reset the default settings.

Options/Return to Factory Settings and then restart the computer.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (10/01/17 10:37 AM)

#431855 - 10/01/17 11:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: GT40John]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

What he said.

And that's great Run as Administrator worked (so far).
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#431860 - 10/01/17 12:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: Charlie Fogle]
GT40John Offline
Enthusiast

Charlie, All,

I reset the default settings and restarted the PC. Everything seems to work correct now. It's probably time to close out this post. smile

Thank you,

John

PS. There is a longtime BiaB forum member that lives just 20 minutes from me. He said he would be glad to meet with me and show me some BiaB tips & tricks.

#431871 - 10/01/17 04:20 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: GT40John]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Excellent. Till next time, then.

#431960 - 10/02/17 07:56 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: GT40John]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Another possibility is to update your RealTek audio driver to the latest version. Be sure to download the appropriate driver for your operating system.

Choose the "High Definition Audio CODECs" link, accept the disclaimer and click "Next". Then select the appropriate driver to download.

Attachments
RealTek.jpg

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#431964 - 10/02/17 08:20 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: GT40John]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Nice. John, would that then give you an ASIO choice for the Realtek?

#431969 - 10/02/17 08:51 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Couldn't open wave device - message and a playing styles question [Re: GT40John]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Nope, because the RealTek doesn't have a native ASIO driver. However, I have successfully used ASIO4ALL with the RealTek on two different machines.

Also, if you happen to have purchased any Steinberg products, you get a generic low latency ASIO driver from them as well, which also works with the RealTek.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
RealTracks Artist Quinn Bachand - Hard at Work!

Check it out - this is happening NOW... Quinn Bachand's latest RealTracks recording session!

Image: http://www.pgmusic.com/gfx/Quinn_Session.jpeg

Listen to demos of Quinn's existing RealTracks at http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=61&os=win&sortby=name

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade for Mac

Did you know....

If you are currently using a Band-in-a-Box® 2017 UltraPlusPAK or EverythingPAK and are wanting to upgrade to the new version, with the 202 new RealTracks that were just released, the PlusPAK upgrade is a great option! This is available on DVD, flash drive, or electronic delivery - simply install the content to your existing 2017 BB folder! Add the 49-PAK to your purchase, and you'll complete the RealTracks library with the 40 BONUS unreleased RealTracks!

This package is on sale for just $99 during our special (reg. $129): http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.pluspak.htm.

Get to Know The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK for Mac

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac during our special and you will receive a Free Bonus PAK which includes Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, 10 MIDI SuperTracks, 7 Instrumental Studies, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated bonus Styles, and 52 Loops for Band-in-a-Box!

Take it a step further and add a 49-PAK to your purchase for only $49! Add the 49-PAK to your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac purchase and you'll receive these GREAT Band-in-a-Box Add-ons:
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band
ALL 40 UNRELEASED Bonus RealTracks
22 MIDI SuperTracks
101 Instrumental Studies
Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

Get to Know The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK: Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac- 49-PAK Overview

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Pro & MegaPAK RealCombos!

We've added MORE to the RealCombos included in the Pro & MegaPAK packages with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Pro includes 300 RealTracks instruments in over 100 bands - that's 100+ more than previous years - listen to them here.

There are now over 500 RealTracks in 300 Bands in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 MegaPAK! Take a look at all the RealTracks & RealDrums in the MegaPAK here.

To receive the new version with these new RealCombos, upgrade during our special for as little as $59! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm.

Get ALL the Regular RealTracks & RealDrums when you upgrade to an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition!

Title Track Day, May 23, 2018!

Did you know... today is Title Track Day!

Which album do you think of on this special day? Better yet, have you created your own album and named it after a song?

Join the converation...

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends May 31st!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Forum Stats
27517 Members
50 Forums
51869 Topics
428551 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Terry V, The Captain, KAVEE, JimmyD150155, Stevie G

27516 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 364
Janice & Bud 151