Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#431847 - 10/01/17 08:22 AM [My Favorite Things] Music Inspiration
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Just finished a project for an entry to a on-line contest solely using IK-Multimedia's Syntronic. Used nothing but the free demo version of the new release. It was fun and a great learning experience.

But now what. I need a new project. So I open up BIAB and start to Audition styles. BAMM! the very first one I click on and "where has that been hidding?" I didn't expect that...

That is MY FAVORITE THING about BIAB. The ready source of Music Inspiration. grin
SoundCloud

#431909 - 10/01/17 11:13 PM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: MusicStudent]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Dan,

I agree! I did something similar yesterday and today I've got the first draft of a whole new song.

Inspiration lurks around just about every BIAB corner!

Regards,
Noel

#431953 - 10/02/17 07:15 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: MusicStudent]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Dan, I feel exactly the same way. I am playing genres that I would have never even attempted without BiaB. Also the melodist and soloist have generated ideas that have lead to complete songs.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#431974 - 10/02/17 10:52 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: MusicStudent]
Callie - PG Music Online   happy
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
Great feedback - thank you for sharing!

#431982 - 10/02/17 12:07 PM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: MusicStudent]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
So, what do you think about IK Syntronic? I keep getting emails to buy it, but dang, I've got almost everything else IK has put out.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#432013 - 10/02/17 04:10 PM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: jford]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jford
So, what do you think about IK Syntronic? I keep getting emails to buy it, but dang, I've got almost everything else IK has put out.

Thanks for asking. The contest permitted us to use only the "free" version which gives full functionality but only a limited number of sounds. Understand I am not a keyboardist and therefore I did not grow up living and loving the history of the Synthesizer. So while the workflow for the software was adequate as a plugin to Reaper, I found the sounds far from inspirational.

I had a lot of fun working with the software mostly as it was a great learning experience to work elusively in midi with my keyboard. The prizes are a couple full versions of the software with grand prize a keyboard controller with software.

If I win it will be my lucky day and it will mean very very few others entered the contest. But I had fun.

Give the free version a try - easy download if you have an IK account. You may hear some of those old sounds that you fell in love with.
SoundCloud

#432098 - 10/03/17 08:11 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: MusicStudent]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Thanks, Dan. I'll give it a try.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#434872 - 10/23/17 04:24 PM [My Favorite Things] You guys will be so jealous [Re: jford]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

So I entered the contest with my best effort. Remember, you had to only use the free version for all sounds. When I heard what others entered it was like they were using the full version. Hard to believe they were getting such sounds from only the free limited version. Suffice it to say, there were several winners that had some great entries. So, I thought that would be the end of it. No full Syntronik in my future.

Today I got a note from IK saying that they decided to give me the full version of Syntronik! Apparently, Everyone is a winner. grin

Syntronik
SoundCloud

#434877 - 10/23/17 05:36 PM [My Favorite Things] Re: You guys will be so jealous [Re: MusicStudent]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Today I got a note from IK saying that they decided to give me the full version of Syntronik! Apparently, Everyone is a winner. grin

Congratulations! I bet you're glad you entered now!
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#434915 - 10/23/17 10:32 PM [My Favorite Things] Re: You guys will be so jealous [Re: MusicStudent]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Congratulations Dan! That's excellent smile

#434990 - 10/24/17 09:49 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: You guys will be so jealous [Re: MusicStudent]
Islansoul Offline
Journeyman

Loc: St. Petersburg , FL
Just finished a project for an entry to an online contest solely using IK-Multimedia's Syntronic. Used nothing but the free demo version of the new release. It was fun and a great learning experience.

But now what. I need a new project. So I open up BIAB and start to Audition styles. BAMM! the very first one I click on and "where has that been hiding?" I didn't expect that...

That is MY FAVORITE THING about BIAB. The ready source of Music Inspiration. grin

BIAB does help me with musical inspiration especially when writing backing tracks, All I have to do is type in the name of a song I want to create a backing track for and bam, it finds a style that is the closest to it. It may not sound the like the original song, but what do I care, I like the Real Tracks.
music producer/engineer

#436920 - 11/07/17 06:52 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: MusicStudent]
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Houston, Texas
Yep, being able to audition the styles is a very nice feature. But I've found that, well let's say PG is putting the style's best foot forward. I've found that a style that sounds great at audition often misses the mark when put to a chord progression I've cooked up. Good thing there are so many to choose from.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/michaelmcbroom/albums

#437589 - 11/11/17 06:09 PM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: cooltouch]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: cooltouch
Yep, being able to audition the styles is a very nice feature. But I've found that, well let's say PG is putting the style's best foot forward. I've found that a style that sounds great at audition often misses the mark when put to a chord progression I've cooked up. Good thing there are so many to choose from.

Michael, you can get realistic song previews using the Stylepicker's "Play Using Current Chordsheet for song" feature.

1. Set up the chordsheet so the first four bars accurately represent your song. Many people start a song with an intro that differs significantly from the main parts of the song so you may need to temporarily lose the intro and use the first four bars of a verse or chorus.

2. Set the Stylepicker tempo to the correct song tempo.

3. Make sure the "4 bar preview" checkbox is selected. This limits regeneration to four bars.

4. Press the "Play" button inside the red square.

Attachments
Get Accurate Song Previews.jpg

#437651 - 11/12/17 06:43 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: cooltouch]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

I've found that a style that sounds great at audition often misses the mark when put to a chord progression I've cooked up.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. That is not my experience at all. Now there have been reports that the audition demo does not play the same as when you load it, but that is a bug which is generally fixed as soon as someone reports it.

I am wondering what type of chord sequences you "cook up". You mentioned you were going to give us a link to some examples of you genre. ---not much gets past us on this forum. grin
SoundCloud

#437658 - 11/12/17 07:10 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: MusicStudent]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

I've found that a style that sounds great at audition often misses the mark when put to a chord progression I've cooked up.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. That is not my experience at all. Now there have been reports that the audition demo does not play the same as when you load it, but that is a bug which is generally fixed as soon as someone reports it.

I am wondering what type of chord sequences you "cook up". You mentioned you were going to give us a link to some examples of you genre. ---not much gets past us on this forum. grin

Dan, I think he is comparing the audio audition against his chord progression. If so then he is right in that they will not sound the same.

Cooltouch, I always addition the demos to my chord progression. Click on play using current chord sheet for song. It is in the lower right hand corner. Be sure to uncheck the 4 bar preview if you want to hear your entire song.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#437700 - 11/12/17 11:27 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: MusicStudent]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
< I always addition the demos to my chord progression. Click on play using current chord sheet for song. It is in the lower right hand corner. Be sure to uncheck the 4 bar preview if you want to hear your entire song. >

Adding to this, I find it useful to sometimes change the first 4-8 bars from the intro chord progression to a particular chord progression from elsewhere in the song that may be distinct to your song.

#437702 - 11/12/17 11:33 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: MusicStudent]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Music Student, Mario and Charlie, doesn't my post above state the same facts you posted? Was my post that confusing?

#437705 - 11/12/17 11:47 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: Jim Fogle]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Music Student, Mario and Charlie, doesn't my post above state the same facts you posted? Was my post that confusing?

No. Not confusing. I was just reiterating to what Music Student and Mario had reiterated you said...

To be honest, I did not go back and read any of the previous comments and only read the post by Mario immediately prior to my post.

I will state that I rarely use the 4 bar preview.....

And if it were such that your post may have been confusing, Music Student, Mario and myself rectified it.... All is good....

#437733 - 11/12/17 05:29 PM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: Jim Fogle]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Jim you're right and I apologize for the redundancy. I have a propensity to write of the top of my head without going back to see if anyone already said that. I have to change my ways.

#437835 - 11/13/17 11:58 AM [My Favorite Things] Re: Music Inspiration [Re: MarioD]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

No issue here Mario and please don't take offense that I even asked the question. Sometimes what my mind thinks differs greatly from what's written. I just needed to make sure this was not one of those situations. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Video - Using the StylePicker in Band-in-a-Box®

We've just updated our StylePicker video tutorial - see the latest version here.
This video uses Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, however all of the functions are applicable to the Mac version.

Forum Stats
27830 Members
51 Forums
52996 Topics
439834 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
yeto, tdh10, Damian Lluch, milesk, alvesbdanilo

27828 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 147
David Snyder 135