#430239 09/18/17 01:26 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
rms Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Has anyone else run into the problem that Stylemaker can not recognise the interval B to C or E to F as a second OR ANYTHING ELSE !

Also in some keys up a 5th is ok (C,Db,A,Bb,B) but the other keys it is classed as down a 4th (E,F,Gb,G,Ab,D#,F#,G#).

How can you program a specific riff when BIAB can not recognise basic music practice ?

It looks like I will have to set up recorded user tracks ..... but I don't want to get part way there and find it will nor work properly either.

A VERY frustrated user.
Erol

Veteran
Veteran
Erol,

I'm not fully understanding your post.

If you'd like forum members to double-check a procedure could you please outline, step by step, what you are doing so that we can repeat your process and see what happens. We can then try and find solutions for you.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I do not understand the first question, either. I might understand the second if I had a description of when and where this occurs.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
R
rms Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
It is pretty obvious that almost no one uses the midi based stylemaker any more. It is quite easy to check.
No 1.
Start a new song then start a new style. Program a bass riff to play ONLY on the interval of "up a 2nd". Enter chords into song, key of C, chords are C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C. Programmed riff will play on all progressions EXCEPT E to F and B to C.
No 2.
As above BUT program a riff to play ONLY on the interval of "up a 5th".
If the song key is C,Db,A,Bb,B then it will work. If the song key is E,F,Gb,G,Ab,D#,F#,G#. then it will NOT work as "up a 5th" but it WILL work if programmed as "Down a 4th"

I have previously posted to support that stylemaker will NOT play a correct scale in all keys. They have verified that this is a fault in programming.

I seriously doubt stylemakers ability to work at all.

Erol

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, I understand better now. In June, you sent a problem report to PG Music about this. Did anything result from that?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Erol,

Thank you for the extra information it helps a lot.

I'm not an expert at using Stylemaker but when I tried the above, I couldn't replicate your problem; it worked for me. Do you use BIAB 2017? (I'm using the current version with the latest build.)

While this might be due to my limited understanding, one thing I noticed when playing around in Stylemaker is that it doesn't seem possible to predict what octave a bar's first bass note will play in when a song/style is generated.

For example.... Using the style I created, with the bass static on the root note, I entered the progression C-Dm-G-Am-Em-F-C. When I generated the song the first time...

• the bass began on C (as expected) and, from there, followed the below pattern.
  • rose a 2nd to D
  • **rose a 4th to G
  • **jumped down a 7th to A
  • rose a 5th to E
  • climbed a 2nd to F
  • **dropped a 4th to C

The next time I generated the song...

• the bass started on C
  • rose a 2nd to D
  • **dropped a 5th to G
  • **rose a 2nd to A
  • rose a 5th to E
  • climbed a 2nd to F
  • **climbed a 5th to C

I've used ** to show where bass changes into different octaves occurred between the two generations.

Because it doesn't seem possible to know whether a bass note will rise or fall when chords change, my present opinion is that it's probably necessary to consider both options when using Stylemaker. (I anticipate that this is why both those options are present.)

Thus, when one sets up a bass riff (say), it's necessary to preempt the above two up/down possibilities that may occur when the computer generates the song.

As an example, if I use a riff that I want to play when the bass (or chord, presumably) rises a 5th, I also need to set up a partner (or complimentary) riff that will be used in the event that the bass drops a 4th rather than rises a 5th (see image below).

Computers can only do what they are told and by not considering both up/down options when a chord changes,(e.g. the bass goes down a 4th rather than up a 5th and there are no instructions regarding what to do in this event), instrumental silence could occur periodically.

Also, here's something else to try... I found it useful to set the "Relative Weight" to 9 rather than the default 5. (This forces the pattern to play always when the programming requirement is met.)

Hope these thoughts make sense and provide some thoughts that might help. As already mentioned, please keep in mind that I'm not and expert with Stylemaker. Let us know how you go. I'm very interested.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
style maker 3.JPG (33.86 KB, 158 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
rms Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
There does not appear to be any progress on my earlier notification to support.
I am using the latest update, and have done so since 2010 as well as the new version every year.

I will be more explicit so you can see what I mean.

Start new song, start new style (Test1)
In stylemaker bass section
8 beat program C (2 beats) E (3rd above 2 beats), same next bar.
save with no masks and weight of 5

that is only one 8 beat riff.

4 beat program beat 1 C, beat 2 B, beat 3 D, beat 4 Db.
Save with a weight of 9 (always) and next inteval "up 2nd"

in the song set key to C
set 1 chord for each bar (C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C)
that is 8 bars

Open notation, set to bass and generate.

As you can see, when it does not recognise a 2nd it defaults to the first 2 notes of the 8 beat riff (this is the default) and if you set a different Key that it happens at different points.

Erol

Veteran
Veteran
Erol,

Thanks for the second lot of extra information. That was exactly what I was after. Now I can replicate your process and reproduce your problem.

I also found that the F chord produces F natural on the last beat rather than the required F#/Gb.

I've discovered that if one removes the 8 beat pattern so that only the 4 beat pattern remains, it generates properly (because there is no other alternative). The problem seems to be linked to intervals other than major intervals (i.e. F to E and B to C are minor seconds).

For example, if you enter the chords C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bm7b5, C (1 per bar) and then generate, it's possible to see that the pattern is no longer considered, even though the weighting is set to 9 and the chord type is set to 'any'.

The behaviour is definitely inconsistent.

I help test pre-release updates so I will pass this information on to PG Music and include a link to this thread.

Quote:

For those who know Stylemaker and would like to have a look at the style Erol is referring to, the SGU and STY files can be downloaded using the following link.

Erol's problem style (a zip file)

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
rms Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Thanks Noel,
I am an old school jazz piano player and have been VERY frustrated in trying to generate realistic double bass lines, the problems first showed with realtrack jazz bass lines .....very busy with unsuitable rhythms and intervals .... 5th or 3rd played on chord change ..... for my style of playing .... and I can not correct realtracks.

So I thought I will use midi bass lines that I can correct anything I consider is not appropriate.

I do like BIAB, and I do know they have their hands full, but BIAB needs to be musically correct above all else.

Best Regards,

Erol
(just getting older and crankier !)

Veteran
Veteran
Erol,

I totally understand and I agree with you. It should work.

I've now passed the information on to BIAB programmers (these include Dr Gannon). I have provided the SGU and STY files as well as graphics that show the problem generations (see the images below; in Image 1, the two 4 beat patterns are the same - one is set to 'up a 2nd' and the other is set to 'down a 7th').

If you have anything that you'd like to add, please either make a post here (I'll pass on your comments) or write to Support and include the URL of this thread so that they can read the discussion in detail.

All the best,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
stylemaker issue 1.JPG (45.6 KB, 92 downloads)
IMAGE 1... for pattern C-B-D-Db and progression C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C (1 chord per bar); key set to C Major.
stylemaker issue 2.JPG (25.74 KB, 92 downloads)
IMAGE 2... same pattern as above in Image 1 but chord progression Cm-Dm-Ebaug-F-G-Am-Bm7b5-C; key set to C minor.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Erol,

Thank you for inspiring me to get involved more heavily with Stylemaker. I've only ever hiked around the edges of it in the past.

Now, after trying to solve your problem, I have a much more insightful understanding of what it does. It's a very impressive aspect of BIAB! With the masks for controlling riffs, etc., with good source MIDI, and with good MIDI software such Kontakt this would be an amazing tool. I'm going to be playing around with it quite a bit more.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
R
rms Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
You are right Noel, Stylemaker IS the most impressive aspect of BIAB.
Lets hope it can be at a workable level soon.

As good as many bass players are ... they rightly object to the piano player dictating how and what they should play at certain parts of a song, and knowing what the bass will play is vital to the piano. As much as I like live bass players ... it would remove a lot of stress to have midi bass/drums at many gigs.

Cheers
Erol

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rms
As much as I like live bass players ... it would remove a lot of stress to have midi bass/drums at many gigs.

Haha, I had to laugh at this one. I would add the word "good" in there as in I like good live bass players...
I'm in LA, most are very good but man, nothing like a weak bass player to ruin a gig. I've been playing LH bass on B3 for 40 years and I've been told by several drummers that I'm better than a lot of bass players they've played with. My problem is I'm not JoeyD, I can hold down the bass great but it also restricts my solos (Jimmy Smith said the bass is the boss) so I appreciate a good bassist. If the bass/drums are cookin, I get very energetic with two handed solos but I can't do that if I'm playing bass.

As far as the Stylemaker, you're right. On the forum at least it gets no love at all, I doubt if more than one or two posters use it. I've never used it so I can't comment on your problem.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
R
rms Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: rms
As much as I like live bass players ... it would remove a lot of stress to have midi bass/drums at many gigs.

told by several drummers that I'm better than a lot of bass players they've played with.

Bob

Hey Bob ..... I am still laughing over that ...... " how would a drummer know !!!!!! "

Shhhhhh .... if my drummer hears that I'll be looking for another drummer.

Enough with the drummer jokes :-)

Erol

Expert
Expert
I spent a lot of time studying the stylemaker a few years ago.
So I can propose this workaround for the chords serie C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C, key of C.

It works fine IF you add two extra patterns:
a) weight=9 ; Roman mask=III ; Interval to next=any
b) weight=9 ; Roman mask=VII ; Interval to next=any.

The main drawback is that you will have this same pattern for any interval and not only for second intervals.

Reach for excellence
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,734
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197