You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#432929 - 10/09/17 11:07 PM [Songwriting] How Steely Dan Composes A Song
pghboemike Offline
Veteran

#440018 - 11/23/17 03:58 PM [Songwriting] Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song [Re: pghboemike]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi pghboemike, This is a great breakdown of his music. The Mu Major chord and how that progresses in to the verses I found quite interesting! - Thanks for sharing! smile

#440260 - 11/24/17 11:46 AM [Songwriting] Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song [Re: pghboemike]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
It's always really interesting to see the creative process of others, but especially when it comes to music. Very interesting! Thanks for the share.

#440322 - 11/24/17 04:32 PM [Songwriting] Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song [Re: pghboemike]
DaveBrooksMusic Online   content
Apprentice

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Hello pghboemike!

Thanks so much for putting this together for the BIAB Tribe. I've always loved "The Dan" and disliked them for prying into my life and writing songs about it! =D

Unfortunately, (IMHO) the Classic: "Deacon Blues" was best appreciated with several glasses of your favorite drink. For me, it made me take a closer look at my life forcing me to give up the "Juice!!!"

But, to this day, I still find myself trying to capture the sound of a saxophone when playing my guitar...

HP Pavilion p6-2330; 1T; GB: 22; AMD Processor; Focusrite Scarlett Solo; Line mixer: Seismic Landsland-12p; DAW's: BIAB, Pro Tools 12.8.2 HD; Wave Pad Sound Editor.

#455597 - 02/04/18 10:04 AM [Songwriting] Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song [Re: pghboemike]
bodhi65 Offline

That was fantastic, can you direct me to more videos like this! I really enjoyed learning their techniques.

#455695 - 02/05/18 01:45 AM [Songwriting] Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song [Re: pghboemike]
DeaconBlues09 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Merkaz, Israel
Always great to see the Dan brought up here (in case my handle hasn't tipped y'all off, I'm a HUGE fan! cool)

#455746 - 02/05/18 08:28 AM [Songwriting] Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song [Re: pghboemike]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

This is awesome - I'm a big fan of these guys, and this was a treat to watch smile Thanks for sharing!

#455846 - 02/05/18 03:53 PM [Songwriting] Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song [Re: pghboemike]
ZUrlocker Offline

Loc: Michigan
I heard a good interview with Donald Fagan on the RollingStone podcast. Always cool to get a glimpse into a band's workings. He talked about that Mu major chord.

#456020 - 02/06/18 12:10 PM [Songwriting] Re: How Steely Dan Composes A Song [Re: pghboemike]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Mu Major.... I remember them discussing that in Guitar Player Magazine several decades ago.

They also discussed how they write and record back in that article. On many of their tunes, no single person with the exception of Becker and Fagan ever heard the finished song before it was released. They provided just enough music... minimal tracks needed, for a given player to lay their tracks.

I don't think I've EVER heard a local NC band play any of their songs. It's just too difficult for the average bar band to try to do and do a good job on it. And the Dan themselves said when they hit the clubs and hear bands trying to cover their songs they "know" if the band knows what they're doing if they hear the Mu Major or just the plain vanilla major chords.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
27831 Members
51 Forums
53000 Topics
439890 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Alan Herring, boblev, JohnMaxwell, yeto, Damian Lluch

27831 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 147