Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#433370 10/14/17 05:31 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
One of my favorite steady gigs is playing in a local upscale retirement community cocktail lounge. I play the old Cole Porter, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin jazz standards. The residents, mostly in their 80s and 90s love them as much as I love playing them. They grew up with these songs. Unfortunately these fine folk will be gone before too much longer and so will the appreciation of the Great American Songbook.
The next generation want to hear “Classic Rock”, which is OK but a big step down both musically and lyrically in my opinion. Then what?
Modern pop music isn’t composed and then recorded as an ensemble, it’s “produced”. (“Attached is the hook for your new hit, Rihanna. Please send us your recorded vocal by return email.”) As a result, the songs all sound then same. (I don’t include rap in this category as I don’t consider it music at all.)
Classical music is on life support. City orchestras are reduced to trying to attract younger audiences by playing Led Zeppelin. Really?
The same thing is happening in churches. The most popular ones feature a rock band playing “praise” music, which is OK if you like that kind of thing but it ain’t Bach or Handel. (There is some good new spiritual music being composed which I enjoy playing in church, along with gospel, but it’s in the minority.)
All of which brings me to worry about the future of good music. Does it even have one?

Cheers! -Alastair
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AlastairLC
They grew up with these songs.

You nailed it right there.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All generational. Both in the content of the music and the way it is made. Those who sneer at computers and Pro Tools because "Why, when I was a kid...." likely still write letters, pay bills with checks and have rotary dial phones.

Times change. People should too.

So, "good" is relative. You can choose to listen or not. I choose not, but not because of any old man "and stay off my lawn" stuff. I have just lost my interest in music. I don't even like going into grocery stores where music is playing in the background. The last time I did I got a case of Taylor Swift poisoning.

Video killed the radio star.

Last edited by eddie1261; 10/14/17 01:16 PM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There is a lot of good music being recorded today. The problem is finding it. I listen to a local jazz station that plays old and new jazz and some of these new guys can really play.

If you search the Internet there is great county, Americana, blues, jazz, etc being recorded. The problem is you have to go through a lot of crap prior to finding the good stuff. I like Amazon Prime because it has a lot of good music IF you pick the right genre.

I'm also impressed with some of those young children that are on You Tube. Some of those kids can really play.

I am not worried about music's future.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
I cannot listen to the old stuff like Cole Porter, George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, etc. I understand they probably played a critical role in getting us where we are but then again so did Beethoven and I don't listen to his stuff either! laugh

Like many people I have a strong preference for what I grew up with so The Beatles and Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd get played a lot as does Bob Dylan, John Prine and Paul Simon. There are lots of others of course.

But, I also LOVE a lot of the new music. I really love Sia's Chandelier and Lorde's Royals, both terrific pop songs in my opinion. I enjoyed Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus. And quite a bit of the new music excites me! (I even like a recent Eminem freestyle rap but for different reasons!)

I agree with Eddie about music being generational. I like my music better than my dad's music and better than my kids' music. But I understand that doesn't make my music better (or worse) than theirs!

Also, unlike some folks, I have absolutely no problem with automation or production improvements or voice effects or guitar pedals or synths (or Band-in-a-Box) being used to produce something new and interesting! It doesn't matter to me whether Rihanna sang in a studio or recorded her vocals and emailed them! All I care about is the final product. At the same time I understand how some people remember fondly the "good old days" when the whole band recorded together in the studio; that certainly required some skills! But just like horse & buggy we have moved on!

So, to answer the question "Is Good Music Dying Away?"...Nope!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I agree with Eddie about music being generational.

Wait... what...? We agree on something??? LOL!!

I think the perspective here is in the question more than the answer.

Is the good TO YOU music dying away?

My tastes were always toward the strong vocal groups and the songwriters. I love The 4 Freshman, The Beach Boys and the 4 Seasons because they were such amazing singing groups. I really dig the older school writers like Cole Porter and George Gershwin, but that was my father's music. My fascination with writing started with The Beatles and the Beach Boys. That led into my fascination with production. When you think about the now somewhat primitive equipment that Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper and Pet Sounds were made on, it boggles the mind that they pulled it off. Now with unlimited tracks on Pro Tools.... you record one verse, one bridge, one chorus and then copy and paste it together.

These days, the production is slick, slicker than ever in fact, but for my taste the substance is not there. When music became more visual with the dawn of MTV, (Video Killed the Radio Star) the focus became more on what people SEE. I doubt we'll see another "God Only Knows" or another "Warmth of the Sun" or "Good Vibrations" or "Fool on the Hill" and so forth. That's not the end game of songwriting anymore. But to someone who liked Black Eyed Peas, "I Got A Feeling" is a classic.

So yeah, the good TO ME music is gone. I recently got Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin, and to me it is magic. Brian is like 76 now and still has that "arranger ear". He weaved Rhapsody in Blue in and out of those songs like he was creating a musical serape. I like some groups like Imagine Dragons, Bon Iver and a few others, but the mainstream stuff does not thrill or interest me. I take note that festivals like Lollapalooza, all the newer, younger acts play during the day, but at night? Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I agree with Eddie about music being generational.

Wait... what...? We agree on something??? LOL!!

Yep! smile But I bet we don't agree on Eminem's latest rap! laugh

Damn it, I gotta agree with you again about Brian Wilson, The Beatles and others of that era. What they accomplished with primitive tools has never been exceeded in my opinion. But there are lots of things like that in my life.

For example, when I was a kid canned biscuits were truly not as good as what Mom made but nowadays they are easily as good or better! Same thing for guitars...when I was a kid the only thing I could afford was a trash guitar from Sears and nowadays I can get a Chinese instrument that sounds and plays as good as almost anything on the market! Cars are another example...when I was a kid a cheap car was truly a junker with guaranteed problems but nowadays I can buy a cheap car and it runs and lasts better than my dad's old Caddy did!

And so it is with music. As new tools come out producers use them as shortcuts but as the tools get better and the users get more experienced I feel the music gets even better. I remain very excited about where music is today and where it is going. Too bad I cannot seem to write anything but 70s rock and country styles!

Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
This is a very interesting concept.
https://www.vox.com/videos/2017/10/13/16469744/repetition-in-music

I think we have to accept the musical world as it is rather than as we wish it would be if we want to stay relevant. What will blockchain do for communal music making on the internet for example? I have no idea, but I reckon it could be very interesting and democratic. grin

Last edited by lambada; 10/14/17 04:33 PM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I hope we’re not limited in our musical tastes by our own generation. Mozart has lasted over 200 years; Cole Porter for 80. (How long will Rihanna last?)
Sure, I prefer the Beatles and The Beach Boys to Frank Sinatra or Madonna, but I certainly didn’t grow up with The Great American Songbook playing on the Victoria, and I sure love it now. Even allowing for generational bias, I can’t see modern music ending up anywhere but on the waste dump of music history.

Cheers! -Alastair
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
............... Even allowing for generational bias, I can’t see modern music ending up anywhere but on the waste dump of music history.

I'll bet that is the same thing our parents and grand parents said wink

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I remember when I was young, 9 or 10, and my parents listened to Glenn Miller, both Dorsey Brothers, Benny Goodman..... and being Slovenian, our ethnic variation was polka and waltz. So like a lot of Slovenian kids, my first instrument was accordion. When I turned 11, the long haired guys from England were starting to become the buzz, and I wanted a guitar. Now remember, we are talking parents here, and they though guitar meant Chet Atkins and Les Paul type music. They even went as far as liking The Ventures when they heard my Ventures album had Perfidia on it (note Glenn Miller above). They had no idea my goal was wanting to be The Beatles or The Beach Boys. And like everybody in my generation, I had to hear that "How can you listen to that garbage" stuff.

Just like I say now....

And stay off my lawn.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: MarioD
............... Even allowing for generational bias, I can’t see modern music ending up anywhere but on the waste dump of music history.

I'll bet that is the same thing our parents and grand parents said wink

Yes, and they were right about a lot of it. (“96 Tears” by The Mysterians anybody?).

Last edited by AlastairLC; 10/15/17 04:58 AM.

Cheers! -Alastair
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Alastair,

If you want some proof that good music isn't dead, then take some time and check out what is broadly labled as "bluegrass" today and you'll find that good music is alive and well.

Not only are there world class musicians of all ages playing new original music, but the songs of the past are treated to new arrangements and include many genre's.

A good place to start would be someplace like this:

http://www.thebluegrasssituation.com/

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I hope we’re not limited in our musical tastes by our own generation. Mozart has lasted over 200 years; Cole Porter for 80.

Very true but when was Mozart last played live in a bawdy house or nightclub? Back in the day he was just another performer looking for a gig. All classic music whether it be modern classics or classiCAL music from 200 years ago eventually stops being performed in common places and is only played on special occasions in concert to a select crowd. Jazz is already heading that way and classic rock from the 60's-70's will soon follow.

Eddie nailed and so have I every time this subject comes which is quite often around here. It's purely generational.

My favorite example is the Roaring 20's flapper music like stride piano, the Charleston dancing and all that. I'm fairly sure without actually knowing your background that you didn't care for that stuff when you heard your grandmother talking about it or playing it at her house when you visited them. The old folks from that era hated the big bands. It sounds unbelievable now but it's true. I remember my grandfather talking about it. He loved music in his day but he was a WW1 Marine born in 1897. His musical era in Detroit was the 20's and he couldn't stand Glen Miller or Benny Goodman much less Ellington and my grandmother was an original Flapper. She had a dance studio and taught the Charleston.

Everybody thinks their tastes don't stink while everybody else's does.

You know how all of us can go into great detail about this band or that band from 40 years ago? How they changed when so and so left or died? This album had that drummer and that one a different drummer and what a difference it made? I could go on and on with examples of that. Well, I'm a big Lakers fan and I listen to sports talk radio a lot here in LA. The jocks are all younger guys in their mid 30's. They make musical references all the time because part of their talk includes all the stars who showed up at the games last night.

They're all artists you, I and about 90% of this forum have never heard of yet it's obvious they're huge in the industry. The sports jocks will talk about their latest records in exactly the same way we used to. They talk about how he or she changed their rap style from what they did 5 years ago and what a huge difference the new producer made, they know all about it, all the littlest details just like we did with "our" artists. You really want to feel old? Listen to young people talk about their music and all the artists. I don't mean simply tuning them out, I mean really listen. Talk about feeling like the proverbial fifth wheel. All I can do is wait for that to finish and get back to talking about one of the Lakers players or the next game or whatever.

Which part of modern music is going to last, what will be played in special concerts 50 years from now? I don't have a clue, none of us will be around to see it anyway so who cares? I know one thing, I have faith in Western civilization and all of us in general. They'll figure it out and be happy about it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
I
Expert
Expert
I
This is why I have XM radio because I find new stuff that the traditional FM stations won't play (I also love the comedies stations). Yes there will always be great music but the music industry won't help you find it, you will need to find it yourself. If you like jazz look into this.

Last edited by Islansoul; 10/15/17 11:37 AM.

Computer: Macbook Pro, 16 inch 2021
DAWs: Pro Tools, Logic, and Maschine
plays drums, percussion, bass, steel pan, keyboard,
music producer/engineer
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
what is broadly labeled as "bluegrass" today

I am quite curious if you listen to ANYTHING else, Bob. Every thread, every post, you bring up bluegrass. And with you being from West Virginia, I understand that you probably had exposure to bluegrass more than any genre in your life. But does that translate to Mexico, where they grow up on Mariachi and Tejano, or Cuba where they grow up on Mambo and Rumba, or the Dominican where they revere Bachata, or the Caribbean in general where they grow up on Bolero and Merengue?

This is kind of exactly what this thread is addressing. What is good TO YOU music. I appreciate the talent of bluegrass players (Andy Leftwich is off the chain!) but I am not huge on the genre as a whole. Why? In Cleveland where I grew up, we had no place to hear "hillbilly music". Cleveland was largely rock and soul in my formative years, and big band before that. There was a time that you couldn't have dragged me to a country music concert with handcuffs and a blindfold. Now I love country. I grew. I changed. Now I should qualify that to add that I still don't like that old cryin' in your beer country, but modern country, "pop" country, is a bunch of well crafted songs played by top caliber musicians.

So, as has been the primary takeaway from most people here, your "good" is not the same as everybody's "good", so to many, yes, it is dying away. I mean, there's not a lot of Latvian folk music coming out these days, and to a huge Latvian folk music fan, they would say yes, good music is dying away. The 20 somethings who like rap, and all those artists with some reference to cool or ice in their name, will eventually die and their genre will peter out when they do. Not a whole lot of surf music produced anymore, is there? I am sure Dick Dale fans are whining about that.

All relative.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
In the Eighties I remember one of my first records was Queen's
" A night at the opera" and I was listening to it , my Dad came in and told me I shouldn't be listening to this crap and it would be forgotten , why not listen to the Beatles because lots of people like them so they where better.
I think its impossible to get rid of talent, and there will always be those with it. They might not play what we like but music gods will always be around and follow their path.
As for Rihanna she might be great, or not, time will tell, as far as I know Tom Jones never wrote a song but 40 years later we all know him.
I suppose u can put Heavy Metal with Rap and most of the Electro music, its fiercely followed and loved by a few,dismissed by the majority. But to say musically there is nothing there, to me is putting your head in the sand.
Money and Greed will always be the motivator for the music business so a lot of stuff sold will be copies of what makes it, and even worse replays of bands 20-30 years old because the 40-50 have all the money. We all want to relive our childhood.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
The debate over what makes art (be it music, painting, literature,...) great has been going on for a long time. In recent decades, those who argue that it's relative have been winning the debate.
I don’t tend to agree. I side with those who posit that the ultimate test of greatness is whether it lasts. That is, does it speak to more than one generation, in fact many generations.
On that basis, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Da Vinci's Mona Lisa, and Shakespeare’s Hamlet pass the test.
So far the Great American Songbook is holding its own. Will the Beatles do as well? Only time will tell.
My concern here is that good music may not get the chance. As long as there are museums and libraries (real or digital), visual and literary art will be viewed and read. I’m just not sure that music will continue to be evaluated on the same basis. I fear that future generations will never have heard of the Beatles, let alone Gershwin or Bach.

Cheers! -Alastair
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Alastair

Been reading this and I mostly and very honestly agree with you. Yes, there are some (very little) good "modern" songs & artists but, on the whole I concur that the last handful of decades of music, is simply crap.

This goes well beyond the expected, then dismissed as, "generational difference of opinion."

Now I to go really dark:

There is, and has been since the ~20's, a non-linear corrosive and erosive growth in "relativism" across all Western thought, discourse, and "self actualization" areas. Including areas that one would think should always be immune to relativism such as: objective truth and objective science.

While the match touched the kindling in the 20's, it is WE Western "baby boomers" that have been the main source of fuel for this destructive fire - and we handed more fuel and matches to our children and their children and told them all fire is good! The Phoenix that finally arises from the ashes of a destroyed Western Civilization will not be good for human kind, at least on this planet. And I'm being UP BEAT!

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 10/15/17 05:26 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You know, until that post I had no idea what The Great American Songbook was. Honestly. I have never been in any kind of band or done a solo act that required those songs. I looked it up and saw the contents, and just from a quick scan I have had to learn probably a dozen of those songs to play at weddings and such, and have learned a dozen more just because they are some of my favorite standards(Embraceable You, I Got You Under My Skin....). And now I have ordered a copy. I do buy music from time to time when I don't feel like I want to invest time in listening back and forth to figure out complex chords or write out a chart. (Like God Only Knows level complex. Incredible piece of writing. MacArther Park as well. Bought those.)

Unfortunately none of us will be around to know if these songs fade in another 50 or 100 years. I wonder if future generations will append it to add new songs to those.

I remember playing some show for high school aged kids (I was only 35-ish myself then) and they had their table decorations with the quote "Wise men say only fools rush in, but I can't help falling in love with you." And the quote was attributed to Corey Hart!!! THAT was the version they knew, so that's who they thought wrote it. Similar circumstances once playing in the Motown band. 5 of us, and we all sang. We were in the dressing room warming up doing the 4 Seasons cover of I Got You Under My skin. There was some 22-ish kind of kid in there and he made the comment about how great the writing was in the 4 Seasons. All the band guys, who knew better, just kind of looked at each other. I looked at the kid, and in my perfect fake angry face and voice I asked "Have you ever heard of Cole Porter?" The kid said "No. Who does he play with?" And I did an exaggerated "Heh heh heh. Get out of my dressing room!" And he left as everybody laughed about it. Good times!

Point of those stories is that everybody knows what they know how they know it and don't bother to research it, and why would they of they aren't a music student? I knew somebody who went round and round with me saying that Cole Porter wrote My Funny Valentine. There comes a point where you just say "Okay. You want to be right? Then Porter wrote it."

My opinion is that I don't think the old masters like Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Mozart, etc.... belong in that conversation. They are in their own elite group. They were to music what Henry Ford was to cars, where they did the heavy lifting and set the foundations and standards that we have all built upon since. The people who wrote the show music like what is in that book belong there. Porter, Arlen, Berlin, the Gershwins, Glenn Miller, Goodman etc... And this generation's book would include Lennon and McCartney, Elton John and Bernie Taupin, Diane Warren, Brian Wilson also belongs in that group... the hitmakers since 1950-ish. Funny thing about Brian Wilson is that his best work was NOT what people know when you say The Beach Boys.

Off to buy my book.

Edit: I now see that there are like 5 Great American Songbooks. So, one at a time, I will end up with all of them.

Last edited by eddie1261; 10/16/17 04:16 AM.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Does it really matter if a song is liked in 100 years or even 1 year ( thinking Macarena)If people enjoy the artist or song and it makes life better isn't it doing its job ? If a song goes number one it means thousands of people parted with their hard earned money because it touched them right now, really what more do we need ?

Last edited by Birdie; 10/15/17 08:18 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
... And this generation's book would include Lennon and McCartney, Elton John and Bernie Taupin, Diane Warren, Brian Wilson... the hitmakers since 1950-ish.

And Burt Bacharach / Hal David.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We enjoy blues, bluegrass, some country, jazz, big band, folk rock, lots of rock, Americana and mashups of them. Janice’s favorite singers are Gregg Allman, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Del McCoury and Frank Sinatra. smile

With Apple Music we have more of the above than we could ever listen to. And we listen a lot. Apple has “for you” playlists curated by human beings available for us that are curated by human beings, are updated frequently and are spot on regarding what we like. We constantly discover artists that are new to us.

And I could care less if others folks and other generations don’t like our choices and listen to different music. Why sweat it. Just turn on your music.

Bud

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I don't personally believe classical music is on life support at all. As a younger person myself, I quite enjoy listening to classical ( and I also attend the Opera; over the next year I will be going to three of them ). There are just as many people who prefer the classics to the Top 40 stuff of today. There is so much beauty in classical music that I can't foresee it dying off anytime soon.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I hope you are right, Ember, because it is such beautiful music that should not be allowed to die.
I worry that it will. The only place I hear it now is in church. Orchestras are struggling and the young just aren’t exposed to it any more. Great art endures but it must be given a chance.

Cheers! -Alastair
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As long good players keep doing things like this with the Great American

Songbook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhECm_uiqyQ ,

It keeps me interested. (for the jazz lovers)

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: raymb1
As long good players keep doing things like this with the Great American

Songbook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhECm_uiqyQ ,

It keeps me interested. (for the jazz lovers)

First, this is indeed an interesting rendition of a 40 year old song that was uploaded to youtube almost 3 years ago and has 96 views and five likes - wait make that 6 since I just clicked it.

So to answer the Subject question - Yes.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
7 clicks now! I forget about the Like button most of the time.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
... And this generation's book would include Lennon and McCartney, Elton John and Bernie Taupin, Diane Warren, Brian Wilson... the hitmakers since 1950-ish.

And Burt Bacharach / Hal David.

They were in there too. Walk On By and I Say A Little Prayer were masterpieces.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Birdie
Does it really matter if a song is liked in 100 years or even 1 year ( thinking Macarena)If people enjoy the artist or song and it makes life better isn't it doing its job ? If a song goes number one it means thousands of people parted with their hard earned money because it touched them right now, really what more do we need ?

I don't know if that was the point. Somebody somewhere liked Little Black Egg, too. In general the thread is along the lines of the fact that the quality writing is going away. Does it take a lot of skill to write the vulgar, racist, sexist crap that is permeating the world these days? With every other word things that would come up here as asterisks if I tried to type them in?

THAT is more the topic.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Birdie

Exactly!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Some music will live forever.

Think:

- Bach
- Tchaikovsky
- Mozart
- Schubert

and also think

- Lennon & McCartney
- Elton John
- Bacharach & David
- Antonio Carlos Jobim

and others.

I predict that some of that music will still be heard centuries from now.

Good music never dies.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm a little late to the party, and with a gig today, I don't have time to read all the posts, so if I'm just repeating, please forgive me.

What is good music?

That can be looked at two ways.

1) Good music is what you like to listen to, whether it's rap or opera or anything else

2) Good music is complex music that follows the rules set by the theory that originates the music.

To me the best music is symphonic, but not all. Mozart bores me, although I recognize his genius and that he pushed music forward according to the MAYA principle (Most Advanced Yet Accessible). My tastes start in the Romantic era with Beethovan's 3rd and I especially like the Eastern Europeans like Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Suk, Shostakovitch, etc. and it goes to the contemporary. But it has to appeal to my personal tastes. I like dark and brooding more than light and happy.

I consider it the best because I like it and it is very complex according to the rules of western music theory.

But I like Cole Porter, Duke Ellington, Stan Kenton, Woody Herman, Benny Goodman, and a lot of the swing people, as well as more modern jazz from Thelonius Monk to Stan Getz to Scott Hamilton and others.

I also like rock in genre of Zeppelin, Queen, Deep Purple, Vanilla Fudge, King Crimson, and so on.

But my tastes aren't limited to the complex either, I love Muddy Waters, Bobby Bland, much top 40 especially from 1955 to the beginning of the Rap/EDM era. But still there is good music being written, played and recorded.

What about Salsa, Brazilian, Cabo Verde, Reggae, Klezmer, and so on?

Just because I don't embrace much Rap/EDM doesn't mean it's bad. When I was young, I listened to a lot of music that bores me now. But because I grew up with it, to hear it every once in a while is like visiting an old friend.

My father loved big band jazz and when I started gigging rock, the old guys used to say that good music is dying. Now the old guys of the rock era are saying the same thing.

And as a musician who studied classical in school and also played in the jazz band (they called it stage band because jazz still wasn't an accepted term in school) I understood the big band stuff and liked my father's music. I could play his records and follow with mine. Different kinds of good music.

My generation started with 3 chord rock, and the jazz guys were right, but went into much more involved music like that from the Moody Blues, later Beatles, Jethro Tull, later Beach Boys, and so on. Every bit as complex as the Big Band music was, but with a different expression.

The complexity of music ebbs and flows.

So is good music dying? It might be in an ebb right now, but I'm certain it isn't dying.

If I'm being redundant and not well composed, please excuse, I have an early gig today and am running out of time.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
What concerns me is the pervasive mundane sameness of modern music.
My first 45 was Born Too Late by the Poni Tails. As I got a little older, I was hip to Elvis and the Beach Boys and the Beatles, but I also liked folk (Kingston Trio, P,P & M) and listened to a jazz radio station. My parents would put Broadway musicals and classical music on the HiFi, and I was taken to classical concerts. I even got into Indian ragas in college (!).
If young people today aren’t exposed to the rich variety of good music, then I’m afraid it will die.

Cheers! -Alastair
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: raymb1
7 clicks now! I forget about the Like button most of the time.

Make that 8 clicks!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If young people today aren’t exposed to the rich variety of good music, then I’m afraid it will die.

Exactly.

When I was much younger my brothers and I were exposed to all genres of music. Consequently we all like a wide variety of music. My kids were exposed to all genres also and they like a wide variety.

We have a rule here that whomever is driving controls the radio. My wife plays modern country and I play either jazz or classical. We all like all kinds of music, except my wife does not like scat!

It really saddens me that music is one of the first things schools cut during budget problems. I wish they would put more emphasis on music and the arts and less on sports. YMMV.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

It really saddens me that music is one of the first things schools cut during budget problems. I wish they would put more emphasis on music and the arts and less on sports. YMMV.

There are organizations you can join to help change this.
For instance NASMD (supportMusic.com) which has recently become NAMMFoundation.

My parents have been involved for years, and if I may be so bold -
https://www.nammfoundation.org/get-involved

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Hmmmmmmmmm....

My daughter asked me to take her to see Imagine Dragons one time. I thought they were awesome. In return, I asked her to go see U2 with me. I think she thought they were "ok." She also likes Train and One Republic. I listened to them and agreed they were great. Other stuff she likes I am not too crazy about but we both agree that Five For Fighting is awesome.

smile

I can't say that I can point out anyone in the last 30 years who is on the same par with McCartney, though. Have we had a McCartney in the last 30 or 40 years? Maybe we have and I missed it.

On playing: one of my fondest and funniest memories is of playing a talent show in high school. Aerosmith was really big back then. A lot of people did Aerosmith and metal covers and got booed off the stage by the Metal Heads in the bleachers of the gym.

I was terrified when I got up there with my fifty dollar acoustic, pulled a mic up to it, and said "This is by Chet Atkins." (I had very big glasses and was the school nerd x 1000.)

About 20 seconds in, the Metal Heads were on their feet cheering (and stoned out of their minds, I think) but lo and behold, I won.

There will always be something to say for playing notes. That will never go out of style, I don't think. That is what I learned that day.

The rest of musical taste is a mystery to me. I just know I love playing.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
See Snarky Puppy thread

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,072
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185