Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I am using biab 2017. I recently noticed that the piano track (channel)volume was lower that the others. To experiment, I loaded the same real track (fingerstyle guitar 822) on different channels. The volume on the piano channel is definitely lower even though they are all set at 90. Why would that be, and how can I fix it?
Thanks.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Not sure why the track would be lower but an easy fix is to open Plugins, Select PGMusic Dynamics.

The default selection will raise the volume some and that may be enough. If it isn't, you can either increase the auto gain or the compression threshold.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Up-date. I tried my experiment again using a different style. Now the piano track is the same volume as the others. The problem must have been with the style I was using. Any other ideas?

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Not sure why the track would be lower but an easy fix is to open Plugins, Select PGMusic Dynamics.

The default selection will raise the volume some and that may be enough. If it isn't, you can either increase the auto gain or the compression threshold.

Thanks Charlie. I'll keep that in mind.

Veteran
Veteran
There are occasional volume differences between RealTracks that we sometimes come across. If it's odd or objectionable, you should report it and PG Music will fix it for the next update. Send an email with the RealTrack number to support@pgmusic.com

But your report is weird and nothing I've seen mentioned here before, that the SAME RealTrack on different channels sounds different. The first thing to try is Options, Return to Factory Settings then reboot and restart BIAB. Let us know if it still has this problem after that.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
There are occasional volume differences between RealTracks that we sometimes come across. If it's odd or objectionable, you should report it and PG Music will fix it for the next update. Send an email with the RealTrack number to support@pgmusic.com

But your report is weird and nothing I've seen mentioned here before, that the SAME RealTrack on different channels sounds different. The first thing to try is Options, Return to Factory Settings then reboot and restart BIAB. Let us know if it still has this problem after that.

Matt: I did as you suggested but the problem persists. The offending style is _SLBLGRW.STY. (slow bluegrass waltz w/banjo) Piano track has RealTrack 822 finger picking guitar. If I load this same RealTrack to another channel, I notice a volume difference between the two. The same problem exists with NEWLIFE.STY using RealTrack 1701 piano. I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Expert
Expert
What you experienced is quite normal. There is no bug. No extra plugin required. Everything is fine !

Balance between the different parts of a style is made inside the Stylemaker.
You are referring to volume set to 90 for all tracks. But these controls are for MIDI tracks only.

In your case of the _SLBLGRW.STY, you can see in the Stylemaker, that PG music decided to put the volume of the Piano track to -11. Try the value that is convenient for you and save the style. For example try value -6 or even 0. Think also to add some brillance with the tone control in the mixer, for ex. set to 10 value. Your guitar part will shine in the mix !
Go to StyleMaker/Misc/More to do that.

That's how the things work !

Please also refer to the BIAB manual, chapter 14 for more details.

Reach for excellence
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you John-Luke. I suspected it had something to do with the style but I don't know enough about the program to figure that out. I appreciate your input.

Apprentice
Apprentice
I find lots of RTs that are not at the same level at the default 90 setting. LOTS. I simply arrange in my BIAB then send all the wavs to my DAW and sort them out there. Is it me or shouldnt there be a set Standard in the PG studios for Final Level of any / all RTs before they are published?
WendyM

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
Veteran
Veteran
Wendy

Yes, it would be better if there was absolute consistency but I have to imagine this would be difficult to deliver, given the tonality and timbre of so many different instruments.

I agree that mixing to get the balance one desires is always the best way to put the polish that all songs require.

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I think it also really depends on the listener. I did a song awhile back and got lots of positive feedback; however, several sax players said that the sax solo needed to come out even more than I had it (which I thought was pretty loud). It depends on what you are listening for.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Yep... some tracks are recorded lower than others. No big deal since there is a way to turn up individual tracks in BB/RB/DAW

Ultimately, in the final mix, you're going to be raising and lowering the tracks anyway from where they all started.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
For the most part, the volume adjustments are not major except for piano MIDI SuperTracks. Those seem to be pretty quiet. Don't forget, for 'regular' RealTrack piano tracks, to adjust the Tone and Reverb as well as the Volume.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
One trick is if a track is too soft for your taste, simply insert the PGPeakLimit plugin in the next slot for that track's FX area. Then you have another slider that will boost it even more, and pretty intelligently.

If you then find that certain track becomes a little to 'squashed', move the PGPeakLimit to the main output FX and turn the other tracks down to let that track fit.. use PGPeakLimit to compensate for the overall gain.

If it still sounds too 'squashed' turn up the main physical monitor volume and re-adjust everything else down, working backwards in the chain.
smile

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
To get back to styles, this is another example that Biab is NOT a DAW, it's a styles based backing tracks program.

With Biab it begins and ends with the styles. John-Luke
has the best answer imho. Don't like the balance of any particular style? Change it and save it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
John-Luke
has the best answer imho. Don't like the balance of any particular style? Change it and save it.

Bob

Thanks Jazzmammal.

In fact, the message was this :
Rather than opting for sophisticated approach, and speak about limiter and other plugin, let's privilegiate the basics of the things, I mean 'how does it work ?'.

The issue was style related, so I have checked the style in question.

This is pure logic, is not it?

Reach for excellence
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: TLMelvin
I am using biab 2017. I recently noticed that the piano track (channel)volume was lower that the others. To experiment, I loaded the same real track (fingerstyle guitar 822) on different channels. The volume on the piano channel is definitely lower even though they are all set at 90. Why would that be, and how can I fix it?
Thanks.

TL,

I've been playing around with styles since reading this email of yours because I've noticed the same as you. I haven't really paid all that much attention to it, though, because I eventually export all tracks to a DAW and mix there. This means that whatever volume the tracks leave BIAB is irrelevant because I adjust the volumes in my DAW.

Inspired by your post, here is what I have discovered...

From what I can deduce, PG Music approach the creation of styles by adjusting the volumes of individual tracks in Stylemaker. These internal adjustments are such that when the final, instrumentally balanced style is completed, the 'balanced' track volumes all show '90' on the Mixer volumes.

The image at the end of this post shows three such adjustments made in the the _ECLIPSE.STY style so that balanced track volumes translate to '90' on the mixer panel. As can be seen, the three volume offsets for the individual Realtracks (1595, 1676, 1539) are +1, -7 and -8 respectively.

Since the above settings are applied to the tracks that host the RTs, any RT that is used to substitute for the above will be affected by these volume settings. For example: if a piano RT is used to replace RT 1539 (where the dB offset is -8 db), then that piano RT will also be playing at -8 db quieter; if, however, were the piano RT added to the track that hosted guitar RT 1595 (where the db offset is +1), then it will sound louder.

While such an approach might seem unusual, it means that anyone who plays around with mixer volumes for any style can always return to the original volume settings for the style simply by adjusting the volumes back to 90. From a user's perspective, this is very valuable.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. Apologies if this has already been discussed in detail. I didn't read through all the above posts. I just posted this on the off-chance that it added extra information.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
individual track volume offset.JPG (42.98 KB, 53 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Noel, that has been indeed mentionned.
See my post #433939 - dated 0/17/17.

You got the same conclusions as me.

It is true that this feature is not very known.
For all BIAB users, to help your memory smile , see below the description from the BIAB manual :

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
dB offset.jpg (35.85 KB, 45 downloads)

Reach for excellence
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: John-Luke
Noel, that has been indeed mentionned.
See my post #433939 - dated 10/17/17.

You got the same conclusions as me.

It is true that this feature is not very known.
For all BIAB users, to help your memory smile , see below the description from the BIAB manual :

John-Luke,

Apologies for doubling up. You know about great deal more about Stylemaker than I do. I'm just in the process of learning about it. Hopefully I'll get there one day!

I encourage anyone who is keen to understand BIAB in a little more detail to investigate this aspect of the program. It's incredibly powerful!

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Quote:
John-Luke,

Apologies for doubling up.

You're welcome, Noel.

Reach for excellence
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199