Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#433522 - 10/15/17 04:35 AM [User Showcase] Sandpaper Castles 1811
rayc Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
I've been learning more of BIAB Realtracks and how to incorporate them into other sounds etc. This is a song I co-wrote several years ago & posted a rough remake/remix of it months ago. I've had the vocal, (the prime problem), tweaked with an AutoTune type program by someone with the ears to do a decent job.
I started rebuilding the track and ended up with two versions - a fairly straight one with BIAB drums & organ + my guitars, (Teleclone on one side and Mustang HH on the other), & bass, (Emperador Semi with fender flat strings), then I decided to try a tangent using the guitars, organ and vocals from the original but adding extra tracks using a Mel9. It took a while to learn the Mel9 - the tweaks needed to sit them in a song are easy once known but it took some research & experimenting to get a decent mix.
The Mel9 tracks DON'T sound like real instruments or superb samples from a great synth - they sound like Mellotron tape samples- warts and all. I love the old 'Tron tones so am happy with the results but it may not be to everyone's taste.
Here it is...
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/sandpaper-castles-1811-02-by-miriam-stavert-ray-cochrane
Sandpaper Castles 1811
Here's a slight remix with the vocals raised a couple or three dB as suggested/requested.
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/sandpaper-castles-1811-21-miriam-ray
AND
Here's the more straight ahead mix with BIAB drums & organ
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/sandpaper-castles-1811-v1-miriam-ray

I'll build a sandpaper castle,
Beneath the noonday sun,
I'll sit & watch the people,
& laugh as they run.
Within my silent citadel,
I'll shut out the world,
& shelter in my fortress,
Making plans that won't unfurl.
I'll celebrate my solitude,
With music, wine & song,
Loneliness won't reach me;
Nothing can go wrong.
I'll fill my day with minutes,
& watch them slip away,
Eternally grateful for the present,
& the memories they slay.
Just sit & play old records,
& scratch them when they're done,
Try to destroy the memories,
But can they be outrun?
I'll celebrate my solitude,
With music, wine & song,
Loneliness won't reach me;
Nothing can go wrong.
Almost silently the day breaks,
& with it comes the rain,
So I sit in semi darkness,
& pray to go insane.
My mask I'll wear to meals,
For 'tis the part I'd planned,
You know!
The same old story,
In castles made of sand...

Edited by rayc (10/16/17 10:16 PM)
Edit Reason: remix & alt mix

#433536 - 10/15/17 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Ray,

This sure is something different! But very succeeded I think.
Miriam's vocals, and so does the track by the way, reminds me of Cocteau Twins from the 80s.
Very creative!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#433558 - 10/15/17 07:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This is a very cool tune. Backtrack was so different. Vocal was excellent. Excellent guitar..

#433567 - 10/15/17 08:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
nice!

great sound, I wish the vocals were more out front (just a little)

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

#433574 - 10/15/17 08:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Ray,

This is incredibly creative. You've taken BIAB into musical areas that I've never dreamt of. I totally enjoyed the excursion that you and Miriam took me on. In case it's valuable feedback: like Kenny, I also found myself wondering what the song would sound like if Miriam's vocals were brought a little more forward volume-wise. I congratulate you both on a really fine creation and presentation.

All the best to you both,
Noel

#433612 - 10/15/17 04:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Interesting sound, ray... cerebral...

I agree with Kenny that the vocal could use a bit of a bump...

#433618 - 10/15/17 04:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Torrey Bliss Online   content
Expert

Loc: Missouri
rayc, lots of cool twists and turns in here! Like nothing I've really heard before! Ethereal in places with great chord changes! Thanks, Torrey
https://torreybliss.hearnow.com/

#433620 - 10/15/17 04:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Rayc, I'm with you in that I also like those old Mellotron sounds.

I also would like to hear the vocal more up front.

Great song and very nice chord progression.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - 2017 BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#433643 - 10/15/17 07:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Very creative, really like the sound. Agree with all the comments about bringing up the vocals. Very enjoyable listen.

Steve

#433650 - 10/15/17 07:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
I loved it. A very surreal tune and melody. I think the melody is unusual and tricky thus the vocals would benefit from more confidence as well as being further forward in the mix.
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#433655 - 10/15/17 09:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Rob4580 Offline
Expert

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Different unusual original.
Appreciate the hard work and effort.
Rob

#433694 - 10/16/17 07:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Ray,

Very creative and evocative. As Rob says, this has a Cocteau Twins feel - and for me that`s a big plus.Miriam has a really good voice for the unusual melody.
Although its fine that the lyrics kind of float through the mix (some cool and unsettling lines in there!) I agree with the comments on bringing the vocal forward a little.
Lots of work has gone into your production and your sound is unlike anything I`ve heard using BiaB before- I`m looking forward to more!

Robert

#433706 - 10/16/17 08:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow, what a tune! As others said, this is very creative and has a truly original vibe here. It reminds me vaguely of Bjork. Even then, the tune has a sound quality unlike anything I've heard made in Band-in-a-Box before.

Thanks so much for sharing smile

#433826 - 10/16/17 10:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: RnAM]
rayc Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Ray,

This sure is something different! But very succeeded I think.
Miriam's vocals, and so does the track by the way, reminds me of Cocteau Twins from the 80s.
Very creative!

Rob

Thanks Rob,
that's very kind of you - any comparison to CT is greedily accepted.

#433827 - 10/16/17 10:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: Scott C]
rayc Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is a very cool tune. Backtrack was so different. Vocal was excellent. Excellent guitar..

Ta muchly Scott,
I have to admit that until the vocals were "tuned" this didn't work at all. I was looking for a good opportunity to use my new Mustang - it sounds good on its own but is an excellent pedal pusher.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Features a Cleaned-up BB Folder

If you've used previous versions of Band-in-a-Box®, you may have noticed a lot of different files and folders within the "BB" folder for the program - after years and years of development there are up to 10,000 files for an UltraPAK! With Version 2018, we've cleaned it up - but you're not losing anything - the cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually if you'd like - just select the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine...

Review all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson

One of our just-released RealTracks Sets features the award winning harmonica player Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson!
RealTracks Set 283: Jelly-Roll Country Harmonica

Add his harmonica playing to your Band-in-a-Box song for that soulful feel that cannot be matched!

Learn more about "Jelly Roll" Johnson and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Beginners Forum - Exporting from Band-in-a-Box® to a .MID File

Our Forum is amazing - an online community full of helpful program users, BETA testers, endorsers, and staff!

We include a Beginners Forum, which is a great place for Band-in-a-Box beginners to visit for discussions & resources!

This week included a very active post, Exporting from Band-in-a-Box to a .MID file. Visit this post to learn more about exporting RealTracks as .MID files, and see our friendly forum users at work!

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 For Windows Build 509 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download this free patch update at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#509

Summary of changes:
Added: The drop station has MP3 and WMAL (lossless WMA) quadrants added.
Fixed: "Drag Audio as MP3" setting in the Plugin settings did not work when dragging a file to Windows Explorer.
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box Server was unable to communicate with BB2018.
Fixed: Choosing a drum kit file in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog would fail with error "Unable to install patch/drum map for...".
Fixed: Disabling "Include 2 bar lead-in" setting in the Render Song to Audio File dialog would cause videos to be out of sync.
Fixed: It was not possible to type the # sharp character into the chord sheet if using a French keyboard.
Fixed: Some Amplitube TGS files and styles were missing in certain installations.
Fixed: Song would stop playing at bar 8 after rendering to an audio file.
Fixed: The Practice Window songs would not load with error "This directory does not exist...".
Fixed: The Tip of the Day dialog was not displaying any tips.
Fixed: The Tuner, MIDI Monitor, and Drum Kit window were always displaying in English instead of the user's language.

Today is the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends at 11:59 PST TONIGHT!
It's your last chance to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Forum Stats
26966 Members
49 Forums
49710 Topics
406967 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
michelin, ArneFau, Kare Synnes, DrPersson, kenastill

26966 Registered Users