Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#433522 - 10/15/17 04:35 AM [User Showcase] Sandpaper Castles 1811
rayc Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Stanwell Park NSW Australia
I've been learning more of BIAB Realtracks and how to incorporate them into other sounds etc. This is a song I co-wrote several years ago & posted a rough remake/remix of it months ago. I've had the vocal, (the prime problem), tweaked with an AutoTune type program by someone with the ears to do a decent job.
I started rebuilding the track and ended up with two versions - a fairly straight one with BIAB drums & organ + my guitars, (Teleclone on one side and Mustang HH on the other), & bass, (Emperador Semi with fender flat strings), then I decided to try a tangent using the guitars, organ and vocals from the original but adding extra tracks using a Mel9. It took a while to learn the Mel9 - the tweaks needed to sit them in a song are easy once known but it took some research & experimenting to get a decent mix.
The Mel9 tracks DON'T sound like real instruments or superb samples from a great synth - they sound like Mellotron tape samples- warts and all. I love the old 'Tron tones so am happy with the results but it may not be to everyone's taste.
Here it is...
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/sandpaper-castles-1811-02-by-miriam-stavert-ray-cochrane
Sandpaper Castles 1811
Here's a slight remix with the vocals raised a couple or three dB as suggested/requested.
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/sandpaper-castles-1811-21-miriam-ray
AND
Here's the more straight ahead mix with BIAB drums & organ
https://soundcloud.com/rayc/sandpaper-castles-1811-v1-miriam-ray

I'll build a sandpaper castle,
Beneath the noonday sun,
I'll sit & watch the people,
& laugh as they run.
Within my silent citadel,
I'll shut out the world,
& shelter in my fortress,
Making plans that won't unfurl.
I'll celebrate my solitude,
With music, wine & song,
Loneliness won't reach me;
Nothing can go wrong.
I'll fill my day with minutes,
& watch them slip away,
Eternally grateful for the present,
& the memories they slay.
Just sit & play old records,
& scratch them when they're done,
Try to destroy the memories,
But can they be outrun?
I'll celebrate my solitude,
With music, wine & song,
Loneliness won't reach me;
Nothing can go wrong.
Almost silently the day breaks,
& with it comes the rain,
So I sit in semi darkness,
& pray to go insane.
My mask I'll wear to meals,
For 'tis the part I'd planned,
You know!
The same old story,
In castles made of sand...

Edited by rayc (10/16/17 10:16 PM)
Edit Reason: remix & alt mix
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

#433536 - 10/15/17 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Ray,

This sure is something different! But very succeeded I think.
Miriam's vocals, and so does the track by the way, reminds me of Cocteau Twins from the 80s.
Very creative!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#433558 - 10/15/17 07:56 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This is a very cool tune. Backtrack was so different. Vocal was excellent. Excellent guitar..

#433567 - 10/15/17 08:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
nice!

great sound, I wish the vocals were more out front (just a little)

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

#433574 - 10/15/17 08:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Ray,

This is incredibly creative. You've taken BIAB into musical areas that I've never dreamt of. I totally enjoyed the excursion that you and Miriam took me on. In case it's valuable feedback: like Kenny, I also found myself wondering what the song would sound like if Miriam's vocals were brought a little more forward volume-wise. I congratulate you both on a really fine creation and presentation.

All the best to you both,
Noel

#433612 - 10/15/17 04:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Interesting sound, ray... cerebral...

I agree with Kenny that the vocal could use a bit of a bump...

#433618 - 10/15/17 04:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
rayc, lots of cool twists and turns in here! Like nothing I've really heard before! Ethereal in places with great chord changes! Thanks, Torrey

#433620 - 10/15/17 04:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Rayc, I'm with you in that I also like those old Mellotron sounds.

I also would like to hear the vocal more up front.

Great song and very nice chord progression.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#433643 - 10/15/17 07:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Very creative, really like the sound. Agree with all the comments about bringing up the vocals. Very enjoyable listen.

Steve

#433650 - 10/15/17 07:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
I loved it. A very surreal tune and melody. I think the melody is unusual and tricky thus the vocals would benefit from more confidence as well as being further forward in the mix.
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#433655 - 10/15/17 09:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Rob4580 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Different unusual original.
Appreciate the hard work and effort.
Rob

#433694 - 10/16/17 07:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Ray,

Very creative and evocative. As Rob says, this has a Cocteau Twins feel - and for me that`s a big plus.Miriam has a really good voice for the unusual melody.
Although its fine that the lyrics kind of float through the mix (some cool and unsettling lines in there!) I agree with the comments on bringing the vocal forward a little.
Lots of work has gone into your production and your sound is unlike anything I`ve heard using BiaB before- I`m looking forward to more!

Robert

#433706 - 10/16/17 08:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: rayc]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Wow, what a tune! As others said, this is very creative and has a truly original vibe here. It reminds me vaguely of Bjork. Even then, the tune has a sound quality unlike anything I've heard made in Band-in-a-Box before.

Thanks so much for sharing smile

#433826 - 10/16/17 10:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: RnAM]
rayc Online   content
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Ray,

This sure is something different! But very succeeded I think.
Miriam's vocals, and so does the track by the way, reminds me of Cocteau Twins from the 80s.
Very creative!

Rob

Thanks Rob,
that's very kind of you - any comparison to CT is greedily accepted.
Pop on over to The Recording Rebels for positive, honest commentary, critiques and support. http://therecordingrebels.com/index.php

#433827 - 10/16/17 10:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: Scott C]
rayc Online   content
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is a very cool tune. Backtrack was so different. Vocal was excellent. Excellent guitar..

Ta muchly Scott,
I have to admit that until the vocals were "tuned" this didn't work at all. I was looking for a good opportunity to use my new Mustang - it sounds good on its own but is an excellent pedal pusher.

#433828 - 10/16/17 10:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: 44kfl]
rayc Online   content
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
nice!

great sound, I wish the vocals were more out front (just a little)

enjoyed the listen,

Kenny

Kenny,
You're a generous - I've raised the vocal level & popped a link in the OP. Thank you.

#433830 - 10/16/17 10:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: Noel96]
rayc Online   content
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Ray,

This is incredibly creative. You've taken BIAB into musical areas that I've never dreamt of. I totally enjoyed the excursion that you and Miriam took me on. In case it's valuable feedback: like Kenny, I also found myself wondering what the song would sound like if Miriam's vocals were brought a little more forward volume-wise. I congratulate you both on a really fine creation and presentation.

All the best to you both,
Noel

Noel,
Thank you very much for your kindness. I've raised the vocal level & put a link in the OP.

#433831 - 10/16/17 10:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: floyd jane]
rayc Online   content
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Interesting sound, ray... cerebral...

I agree with Kenny that the vocal could use a bit of a bump...

Floyd jane,
Thank you - though I fear you left hemorrhage from the end of your 1st line.
Vox upped & the link is in the OP.

#433832 - 10/16/17 10:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: Torrey Bliss]
rayc Online   content
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
rayc, lots of cool twists and turns in here! Like nothing I've really heard before! Ethereal in places with great chord changes! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey,
I wrote the chord progression & lyrics in '84 but didn't do anything with them until this century. Ethereal is something I'm happy with.

#433833 - 10/16/17 10:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Sandpaper Castles 1811 [Re: MarioD]
rayc Online   content
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Rayc, I'm with you in that I also like those old Mellotron sounds.

I also would like to hear the vocal more up front.

Great song and very nice chord progression.

Mario,
Until this July I cut & pasted .wav files from a set I found on line. I still use them for the voices the Mel9 doesn't do. Vocals lifted - please see link in OP.
Thanks for your kind assessment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Forum Stats
28068 Members
57 Forums
54395 Topics
449610 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
KeithR, Andreu Casado, Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC

28067 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 160