Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#434424 - 10/20/17 05:48 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Hey,

To follow another thread in BIAB, there is tons of stuff to make "modern sounds" in BIAB.

Modern is about 4 things:

1. Bass.

2. Loops.

3. Kit Drums over loops.

4. Less is more.

The screenshots below show a "doctored" approach to a Rapstyle in BIAB. _Raprock.style

Using this a starting point, I killed the electric, and added a chill loop to the drums used here. (See picture.)

If too hard to see, I replaced some tracks in the style by going to Select Real Tracks in existing tracks in the style Raprock and adding:

Acoustic 703

Acoustic 2678

Chillout Loop Destiny 71

I might also open another BIAB file later and select Rock Hard LA drums ( I think that's what they are called) export those drums, and mix those in as well inside the DAW project for like the second verse to end.

I.e, you want to "pile percussion" on but do it in phases, and cut it up some so the drum mix is constantly changing. Your goal is to hypnotize people and keep them guessing. You want them to go into a trance.

And use some acoustic guitar. See the choices I have made in the screen shot but experiment. (I know they are hard to read in the screenshot so I gave them above.)

If at loss for chord progressions, go the demos of the techno, ballad, or electronica styles and study the chord progressions. Again, less is more. Keep listening to demos and study them until you see the very simple progressions that work.

Then, go to the mic like Mick Jagger and just start babbling some stuff until you hear stuff that sounds cool coming out of your mouth. Don't "try" to write modern lyrics. Just keep babbling away like Mick and have fun until you hear the right words coming out. You will know the hook when you hear it. Let the music tell you what to sing, not the other way around. Record what you babble. Keep the good stuff.

Then when you go to add additional tracks be SPARSE.

You maybe only need one other guitar or a simple catchy synth riff you can play yourself.

Keep it SIMPLE.

If you find yourself going over 6 or 7 tracks you have gone too far.

Put one cool riff left and one cool riff right and sing down the middle and you will be good.

That is modern.

Give it a whirl and experiment.

If you use electric, please load your free amplitube that came with your package and study the drop down presets by right clicking on the track.

See screenshot.

Trust me. All you need to make modern stuff is here, you just have to study it and mix some really simple stuff.

For EQ go to Variety of Sound (google it) and download their entire free package of VSTS if you are using Real Band. (They are 32 bit.) There is a great free reverb rack here and other tools to put on the drums and vox. Master them.

But some Variety of Sound BootEQ on the drums or a bus compressor with glue if you have good paid stuff.

You will be sounding like Beck in no time.

Just make the drums and bass pop and the acoustic snap.

Give us a cool synth riff with 5 notes and sing some happy lyrics that will make us smile.

The Grammy's are yours.

Peace out.

Attachments
Modern 1.jpg

Amps1.jpg

http://www.musicdealers.com/artist/davidsnyder
http://www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
https://soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.davidsnydermusic.com

#434432 - 10/20/17 07:41 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: David Snyder]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
If David's explanation is too brief or you want a more in-depth look into a modern mix, you may enjoy this 6 hr and 5 min video of a complete individual track mix of a commercial release of a modern song titled Young and Restless

Charlie

#434434 - 10/20/17 08:07 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: David Snyder]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the quickie tutorial David!! I really appreciate that!

I followed your steps and built the song using the starting style and tracks you listed. It sounds pretty cool but I'm not sure it sounds modern to me. More like classic backing track with a drum loop added! smile Any chance you'd share your 15-minute song so I can see what I might have done wrong or left out?

I know there is more I could do like changing it up all over the place, maybe changing styles or tracks in various places and of course strong pop vocals. But, unlike many classic songs that don't change it up a ton, these modern pop songs need a lot of additional work it would seem.

At the risk of sounding lazy(which I am!) I would love to see some modern styles that make use of part markers to bring in a variety of tracks/soloists and let BIAB do the heavy lifting to create my modern pop song! smile

For example, when I first bought BIAB I discovered a RealStyle called _BGMEDLY and it has 10 different part markers from a-j instead of the more common a and b. This allows me to quickly put together a classic bluegrass song that has two solo options for four different instruments and two options for no solos! I was hopeful and kinda expecting that many more RealStyles would be set up this way but it seems this one was an exception rather than a rule.

I will keep trying and see if changing out more tracks, changing the style at various points, etc. will get me closer to something I would consider modern. Thanks again and any follow up tips or examples would be greatly appreciated!

#434436 - 10/20/17 08:22 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: Charlie Fogle]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
If David's explanation is too brief or you want a more in-depth look into a modern mix, you may enjoy this 6 hr and 5 min video of a complete individual track mix of a commercial release of a modern song titled Young and Restless

Charlie

Thanks Charlie! That looks like a great video! It may be a bit too in-depth for me at this point at over 6 hours in length! smile I watched the first 15 minutes and can see it is very informative.

I guess my focus right now is seeing what I can do with BIAB to get closer to a modern sound without doing it all in my DAW. When I work on a classic bluegrass or country song in BIAB I find it outputs something that needs very little attention in the DAW. I'd love to see how close to that I could get with BIAB for modern pop songs.

#434441 - 10/20/17 09:30 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
Samuel Davis Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Thanks for the quickie tutorial David!! I really appreciate that!

I followed your steps and built the song using the starting style and tracks you listed. It sounds pretty cool but I'm not sure it sounds modern to me. More like classic backing track with a drum loop added! smile Any chance you'd share your 15-minute song so I can see what I might have done wrong or left out?

I know there is more I could do like changing it up all over the place, maybe changing styles or tracks in various places and of course strong pop vocals. But, unlike many classic songs that don't change it up a ton, these modern pop songs need a lot of additional work it would seem.

At the risk of sounding lazy(which I am!) I would love to see some modern styles that make use of part markers to bring in a variety of tracks/soloists and let BIAB do the heavy lifting to create my modern pop song! smile

For example, when I first bought BIAB I discovered a RealStyle called _BGMEDLY and it has 10 different part markers from a-j instead of the more common a and b. This allows me to quickly put together a classic bluegrass song that has two solo options for four different instruments and two options for no solos! I was hopeful and kinda expecting that many more RealStyles would be set up this way but it seems this one was an exception rather than a rule.

I will keep trying and see if changing out more tracks, changing the style at various points, etc. will get me closer to something I would consider modern. Thanks again and any follow up tips or examples would be greatly appreciated!

Well of coarse to get a great sound you have to put the work in to your DAW to cut up the parts and add effects. Even with my classic contry sounding tunes i do that. BIAB makes a lot of great sounding tracks but being auto generated it can only do so much on it's own. Knowing BIAB is only half the battle. You also need to know your DAW and how to manipulate the BIAB tracks within it.

Edited by Samuel Davis (10/20/17 09:31 PM)

www.sammycountry.com

#434448 - 10/21/17 12:29 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: David Snyder]
Samuel Davis Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Florida
I decided To see what I could come up with on the fly when I got home from my gig tonight. I made this using 3 real tracks from BIAB. I exported the MIDI from the drum track to use with Groove Agent in my DAW (Cubase.) I then added 2 VST instruments and done in about 30 minutes. Took a little extra time for mixing, a quick master and upload to Soundcloud... so all together took about an hour.

https://soundcloud.com/user-742389722/slow-dark-modern-country

Keep in mind this is based off of a country rock song style and I am working with BIAB 2011 an I only have one realtrack add on at this time. When I get the full version in January I'm sure I'll be able to do much more.

www.sammycountry.com

#434451 - 10/21/17 01:25 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: David Snyder]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

That is pretty cool Samuel! Thanks for the example and sharing how you built it. I could imagine some powerful country vocals coming in to make it shine!

#434463 - 10/21/17 05:21 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: Samuel Davis]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Great work Samuel.

That is exactly what I am talking about. That is the FIRST 20 to 30 minutes just like I said. Basic bed done. Samuel, thanks for doing the work for me man. smile Good job!

My quick tutorial was just to show ONE potential starting point.

To Samuel's response, BIAB simply gives you 80% or more of the sounds you will hear out there in the world today. "Modern" changes every day as a definition but right now it's about bass, kits drums mixed with loops, lots of cuts and splices, interesting arrangements where stuff keeps changing, sparse instrumentation, killer synth riffs and a lot of experimentation.

The other 20% comes in when you play you own riffs, on any instrument--most often synth or guitar. Acoustic is really big right now. People are taking a break on electric in most areas outside of country, at least for this month. Kind of a joke, but the days of 20 minute electric solos and guitar dominated music are over.

Experimentation means you have to work your butt off. Beck probably spends two days just finalizing the INITIAL percussion bed on a song. Maybe more.

You can't expect BIAB to have a style that you can just pull up and all of a sudden sound modern. If you do the "let me just find a style" thing then you WILL have a classic backing track which is the best they can do for you in this known universe. If you want to sound like an artist or "modern" you have to take the BIAB track, samples and loops into your DAW and work, work, work like a dog. It's what everyone else does.

I was just showing the very beginning of the work flow and one very simple example. Simple on purpose. The rest is up to you and your imagination.

It's what music is about.

Peace out.
www.davidsnydermusic.com

#434473 - 10/21/17 06:41 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: David Snyder]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
You can't expect BIAB to have a style that you can just pull up and all of a sudden sound modern. If you do the "let me just find a style" thing then you WILL have a classic backing track which is the best they can do for you in this known universe.

This is what I have been assuming for the most part. With BIAB I can quickly enter chords, pick a style and output a relatively complete classic song. But not so much with modern music I guess.

You can't expect BIAB to have a style that you can just pull up and all of a sudden sound modern.

I bet that same sentiment could have been accurately expressed about bluegrass, country, rock and other classic styles before the implementation of RealTracks! Here's hoping they are able to get closer to the same result for more recent (modern) music in the future!

Thanks again for sharing your insights!

#434475 - 10/21/17 07:02 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Not necessarily.

There is a huge difference between "songs" and compositions.

A lot of country and classic rock and ballads use predictable song forms, song structures, chords and instruments. That is why BIAB can pull it off--in say Bluegrass.

Many "modern" songs as people refer to them (with a wide berth for definitions on what that means) are COMPOSITIONS. Meaning, they are pieced together.

There is no way BIAB will ever be able to take the place of your brain on the composing front. If you want to compose, you HAVE TO piece things together. BIAB just gives you the sounds.

I think the two different worlds are getting mixed up here and that's the problem.

Not to be sarcastic, please trust me I'm not, but what you have essentially just said is "If BIAB can give me classic bluegrass songs, why can't it give me classic modern songs?"

The very definitions don't match. I think the songs you are referring to (if I am guessing correctly) are compositions, and for that, you will have to simply work really hard for a really long time at your mixing board.

BUT, you can at least get started by locating some sounds in about 20 minutes. That's what I mean. The rest could take days. It takes days for everyone else.

Peace.
www.davidsnydermusic.com

#434481 - 10/21/17 08:01 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: David Snyder]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Great points and discussion, very interesting. Thanks for providing this insight.
SoundCloud

#434487 - 10/21/17 09:19 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: David Snyder]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

what you have essentially just said is "If BIAB can give me classic bluegrass songs, why can't it give me classic modern songs?"

No, I am actually acknowledging that it cannot while expressing the wish that it could!

As an example, before BIAB you simply could not produce a bluegrass backing track without a great BG band. Then, BIAB, with RealTracks, delivered something really amazing. You can enter an appropriate chord progression, use the bgmedly style, leave space for vocals and quickly produce a bluegrass song with four separate instrument solos so authentic sounding that it fools even great BG players!

And I guarantee you if someone had said this was possible before RealTracks they would have been assured it was not and would never be possible. But the clever folks at PG did it!

If I am understanding what you and others are saying, BIAB cannot do that for modern music without additional work to, as you say, move it from a song to a composition. So, I can accept that (it was my original contention in the first place!)

But I also hope they can improve BIAB in this area in the future. In the same way RealStyles exist, they could have RealSets (or some such name) where multiple RealStyles are linked together and made as easy to use as clicking the part marker. Maybe a modern RealSet would include a pure acoustic set of RealTracks for V1, add in big drum loop for chorus, bring in some huge bass and more drums and drop out the acoustic for V2 and second chorus. I dunno how that would work out and it might end up being too specific but it would be an interesting direction for those of us who have less time to "tinker". And before someone says "stop being lazy, ya gotta put in the time", I'd remind them that by using BIAB at all they have already conceded they too are looking for shortcuts! laugh

#434490 - 10/21/17 09:32 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: JohnJohnJohn]
cxp Offline
Enthusiast

How about something like this:

https://soundcloud.com/cxp-2/style-versatility-demo

This is right out of Band-in-a-Box. Changing the instrumentation on the MIDI based style several times in the track gives the same style a variety of sounds. Basically an EDM style with elements of blues and bluegrass.

#434491 - 10/21/17 09:35 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: David Snyder]
JohnJohnJohn Offline
Veteran

Just to expand on my last idea regarding RealSets...

Just a slight improvement to the way you can change RealStyles in the middle of a song would be huge I think. So, currently you have to pop up an obscure window and select the style change and it is not really indicated in the song so doing it once is complicated and doing it multiple times would be way too complicated to even attempt.

So, how about making it much easier to change styles on any bar? And then make RealSets where PG's experts group together cool RealStyles that might work together? And give us the option to change/create RealSets in the same way we can change/create RealStyles?

#434492 - 10/21/17 09:35 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Modern Sound_Very Quick Tutorial [Re: cxp]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

This is fun.

smile
www.davidsnydermusic.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows is a HIT!

Since the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, we've received some great feedback!

"Oh wow. [The Audio Chord Wizard] has got to be the coolest enhancement to 2018 Band-in-a-Box. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!"
"2018 is a great release in so many ways!"
"Nice work, as usual!!"
"Luvin' it so far!"
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely 'must have'!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Every one of these tracks is phenomenal!"
"You guys just keep blowing us away."
"This is an amazing product. I tip my hat and thank you immensely."
"Awesome job once again!"
"What an unexpected treat!"
"What a fantastic idea PG music! I love to know who specifically thought of this idea. What an unexpected treat!!"
"Video set number three with Oliver Gannon is phenomenal just by itself! I've been asking for additional instruction from him for sometime And here it is! Plus it looks like there's something for everyone. You really out did yourself on this one PG Music - way to go!"
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid this could be!"
"Come on, whats not to like about this"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"I know what I'm getting for Christmas!"
"What a release!!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"it's educational utility and potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me champing at the bit!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"Amazing!"

Upgrade your Band-in-a-Box® to version 2018 during our special for great savings & Bonus PAKs! www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video

Here's a video showing you the different ways you can use the Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks, new with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, now with Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks!

Plus, here are two audio demos, the full versions of two of the songs that appear in this video:

http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_LAZYDAY_full_demo.m4a
http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/DownByTheSalleyGardens_with_VocalOohsAahs.m4a

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Build 506 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest Build 506 at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#506

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 205:
Added: "Export Song as Audio File..." menu item has been added to the Audio menu.
Added: BB2018 tutorials folder.
Added: New styles (STY files) for many of the new RealTracks in Sets 278-300 and MIDI SuperTracks sets 25-27.
Added: StylePicker User Categories updated for Xtra Styles PAK 4.
Updated: Styles database
Updated: Various improvements (including Db offset adjustments) to many of the new STY files and .SGU demos included with RealTracks Sets 278-300.
Fixed: "K3" did not work in the chord sheet for copying 3 bars (8 bars would be copied instead).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box always opens with a maximized window briefly before resizing to the user's saved size.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box will not open using the proper window size if the Mixer window was open while exiting.
Fixed: Deleting a region of chords would cause "Undo Delete Bars" to appear in the Edit menu, but do nothing unless chosen twice.
Fixed: Error "Input and output sample rates must match" might show when the devices do have matching sample rates.
Fixed: Flash messages were not being added to the flash message log.
Fixed: If Band-in-a-Box was in DAW Plugin mode while exiting, the window size was not restored the next time opening the program.
Fixed: Rendering .m4a or video files might fail and request that the user install QuickTime if using Windows 7. QuickTime should only be necessary for Windows Vista or XP.
Fixed: Some of the Oohs and Aahs (Vocal) RealTracks were not working correctly, and they have been greatly improved.
Fixed: Sometimes when deleting a note in the notation window, you will be asked "OK to delete chord".
Fixed: The "Show Flash Tips" setting did not have any effect when disabled.
Fixed: WashboardBluegrass drums.
Fixed: When exiting DAW Plugin mode, the window would not return to its previous size (it would become maximized).

Have Your Band-in-a-Box® Delivered In Time for Christmas!

The gift of music... some say this is the greatest gift of all! Imagine receiving the tools to help you create your own music for Christmas... like Band-in-a-Box!

If you are in the United States or Canada, order Band-in-a-Box before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

If you are outside of North America, order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

With major savings and Bonus PAKs until December 31st, it's a great time to purchase Band-in-a-Box upgrades as a gift for someone you know... or for yourself!
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Forum Stats
26724 Members
50 Forums
48944 Topics
400094 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
pavus, Neil Cotton, vwxyz{943671, ZooD, Grainger

26724 Registered Users