Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#434955 - 10/24/17 07:23 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: jazzmammal]
musiclover Offline
Expert

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Jim Graves...Halloween?

Just did a forum search for Jimmy, this one post is it for him.

Time to shut this thread down I think.

Bob

Calling a Jim Jimmy a number of years ago really p""""" a poster off I remember, he didn't like it at all and insisted his name was JIM not Jimmy.

There you go, some people will take offence at anything.
musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 7 and 10 (32 bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro,Band in a Box 2018 Cubase 5.0 and Cubase elements 7.0.

#435059 - 10/24/17 04:16 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: jim graves]
David Snyder Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Jimmy,

You need to forget that computer son and do what I do at a gig like that.

I just walk up to the mic with a 'coustic guitbox in my hand and say folks, sorry I ain't go no fancy equipment, but I'm about to show you how it's done.

That how we do it in North Kalalacky anyhow.

Give that a spin. I don't know nothing 'bout them wave files and all but I can dang sure guarantee you I can burn the place down.

Peace.
http://www.musicdealers.com/artist/davidsnyder
http://www.reverbnation.com./davidpsnyder
https://soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.davidsnydermusic.com

#435093 - 10/24/17 09:38 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: jim graves]
lambada Offline
Expert

Loc: Hong Kong
Interesting precautionary thread nonetheless. Need to get me some more backup. I guess I have my phone, Radial Stage Bug and mp3s as a backup to the tablet. Knowing my luck, my wife would ring me up.:-) One of my streaming shows was briefly terminated by Skype... grin

Edited by lambada (10/25/17 08:04 AM)
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 2, Nova, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic

#435825 - 10/29/17 05:33 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: jim graves]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Jim.... man..... have you ever heard of the KISS principle? Keep it simple ..... and of course Murphy's Law that says if something can go wrong it will?

You have only yourself to blame and not Band in a Box.

Notes Norton's first post on page one is the advice you should have been following.

I volunteer in SAR.... search and rescue. Regarding our essential gear like radios and flashlights.... we have a saying. Two is one and one is none. Things quit and if you have a spare you can keep going. If not....as you discovered, things can end badly.

Never play live with an application program like from a DAW or BiaB. I have done a few musical gigs (since I stopped playing in bands) and for my backup I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS made mixes of the songs and never even once considered running them through my laptop DAW feeding the PA.... nope, not even once. I always burned them to an audio CD, checked it in multiple devices, made duplicates of the disk and then went to the gig. With the application DAW or BiaB, your computer is trying to process multiple wave tracks and possibly even softsynths and it's working hard to do that whereas a music player running an MP3 is nothing to the processor. Less work generally translates to a more stable platform and less chance of a crash.

If I was ever to start gigging for fun and profit, I would have my stuff on laptops in the MP3 320k format and have duplicate computers as NN said.

This is one of those things you might not ever forget. Hopefully, you will have a chance to talk to the manager at the place where you blew it and see if he'll give you a second shot at playing there again. Of course, move all your tunes to MP3 and get 2 computers and be ready for the inevitable SNAFU when .... not if, but when it comes again. Next time, you can switch computers...... make a joke about it and finish the gig with the other machine.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#435893 - 10/30/17 08:11 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: jim graves]
jford Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
One post, almost 10 days ago, with no further response or acknowledgment.

While the discussion is great, the original post looks like a troll.

#1-Win10Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
#2-Win10Pro-64,16GB,SSDBoot,7200RPM
#3-Win7Pro-64,8GB,7200RPM
H/W: Onboard audio, FastTrack Pro, Casio Kbds
S/W: BB/RB2017/Sonar/Reaper/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/
NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web: http://www.sus4chord.com

#435931 - 10/30/17 12:42 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: jford]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: jford
One post, almost 10 days ago, with no further response or acknowledgment.

While the discussion is great, the original post looks like a troll.

I agree.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#435957 - 10/30/17 03:09 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: MarioD]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Troll or not these things do happen and there are a lot of good solutions that will be read by others so it all serves a purpose.

#435964 - 10/30/17 04:47 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: Pipeline]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
Troll or not these things do happen and there are a lot of good solutions that will be read by others so it all serves a purpose.

Yes, probably many of us picked up some good ideas.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#435994 - 10/31/17 05:43 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: jim graves]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
Agreed, but it's a worthy thread anyway.

Somebody may have gotten some good advice from it.

And being a troll, means somebody didn't actually lose a gig, and that's a good thing.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#435998 - 10/31/17 06:12 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: jim graves]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
The sociology paper was turned in.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#436028 - 10/31/17 09:10 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: Matt Finley]
WendyM Offline
Apprentice

Loc: UK
How unprofessional is he! i doubt if he's real by the way.
BB is not meant to be used AFAIK as a playback machine. Who would?
He's a Troll, Fol-de-rol as Frank Luther sang.
Wendym

#436058 - 10/31/17 01:21 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: WendyM]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

What about a hardware version of Biab with a solid state drive that is firmware update-able for new RT/Styles and comes with a ultra thin gorilla glass wireless LED screen or can also Bluetooth to your tablet ? no more Windows, no more laptops !
Just like you have hardware karaoke players, DigiTech Trio (that uses biab tracks) and BackTrak backing track pedals.

Thanks "Jim" you may have started something here !

(don't be surprised if Jim responds to all of this)

#436152 - 11/01/17 05:53 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: Pipeline]
Notes Norton Offline
Veteran

Loc: Fort Pierce, Florida, U.S.A.
What about a hardware version of Biab with a solid state drive that is firmware update-able for new RT/Styles and <...snip...>

I'd still need two. Even hardware pieces of gear fail, just not as often. I've had one Archos Juke Box and two iPods die on me, and they only play when I'm in the car. My gigging computers play probably 100 times as many hours per week, in in all that time, I've lost one computer. And it still works, but the display has horizontal patches of different colors so I don't trust it anymore (I bought it in 2002).

Plus I think exporting the BiaB files to a sequencer/DAW and spending some time tweaking them can take the very good BiaB output and turn it into something excellent and worthy of being on stage.

Insights and incites by Notes.

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks

#436175 - 11/01/17 08:44 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: Pipeline]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
What about a hardware version of Biab with a solid state drive that is firmware update-able for new RT/Styles and comes with a ultra thin gorilla glass wireless LED screen or can also Bluetooth to your tablet ? no more Windows, no more laptops !
Just like you have hardware karaoke players, DigiTech Trio (that uses biab tracks) and BackTrak backing track pedals.

Thanks "Jim" you may have started something here !

(don't be surprised if Jim responds to all of this)

Pipeline, thanks for posting links to Digitech Trio and BackTrak pedals. International musicians have the opportunity to be exposed to a lot of gear that never seems to make it to North America, specifically the USA. Since search engines order responses based, in part, on location American musicians may, or may not see products like the BackTrack pedals in their search results.

While I do not play live I can easily understand and appreciate how single and small acts would be receptive to incorporating the BackTrack pedals into their acts.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

++ Saving My Sanity One Song At A Time ++

#437902 - 11/14/17 05:02 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: biab lost me a steady gig [Re: MarioD]
Paj Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Along with having two fully load with programs for a gig computers I would also have an Uninterrupted Power Supply, at least around here. That is if I was still gigging.

Hey, Mario---I found out the hard way that even an inexpensive UPS is better that an expensive surge protector/power conditioner. I burned out two RP1000s on the same outlet on different gigs in a club but the mains and the backlines on UPSs were unaffected. The RPs didn't fry at those gigs but they both died within an hour at the very next gigs. $260 in repairs/shipping (DigiTech factory repaired one and completely replaced the other). UPS units are so light-weight and inexpensive now, they should be considered.

Regarding the OP: My experience tells me there's a lot more undocumented drama than has been presented. Seriously---we've all dealt with equipment failures---on and off stage, remedied or not by redundancy or spares. Sometimes it goes easy, sometimes it goes hard. However, I submit that an accomplished pro with a following and a track record could have a complete equipment failure and more likely than not be rebooked. Did something else happen that crossed a non-musical line? It's a shame, because you don't often see guaranteed restaurant gigs that pay $$$$$$$$$$ for years, especially the non-volatile kind that go to the unprepared.

Or, more simply stated: "Fortune favors the prepared."

Ya know what? I'm sorry---we ALL know this. I think I just trolled myself!

My bad.

Paj
8^}

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Build 506 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest Build 506 at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#506

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 205:
Added: "Export Song as Audio File..." menu item has been added to the Audio menu.
Added: BB2018 tutorials folder.
Added: New styles (STY files) for many of the new RealTracks in Sets 278-300 and MIDI SuperTracks sets 25-27.
Added: StylePicker User Categories updated for Xtra Styles PAK 4.
Updated: Styles database
Updated: Various improvements (including Db offset adjustments) to many of the new STY files and .SGU demos included with RealTracks Sets 278-300.
Fixed: "K3" did not work in the chord sheet for copying 3 bars (8 bars would be copied instead).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box always opens with a maximized window briefly before resizing to the user's saved size.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box will not open using the proper window size if the Mixer window was open while exiting.
Fixed: Deleting a region of chords would cause "Undo Delete Bars" to appear in the Edit menu, but do nothing unless chosen twice.
Fixed: Error "Input and output sample rates must match" might show when the devices do have matching sample rates.
Fixed: Flash messages were not being added to the flash message log.
Fixed: If Band-in-a-Box was in DAW Plugin mode while exiting, the window size was not restored the next time opening the program.
Fixed: Rendering .m4a or video files might fail and request that the user install QuickTime if using Windows 7. QuickTime should only be necessary for Windows Vista or XP.
Fixed: Some of the Oohs and Aahs (Vocal) RealTracks were not working correctly, and they have been greatly improved.
Fixed: Sometimes when deleting a note in the notation window, you will be asked "OK to delete chord".
Fixed: The "Show Flash Tips" setting did not have any effect when disabled.
Fixed: WashboardBluegrass drums.
Fixed: When exiting DAW Plugin mode, the window would not return to its previous size (it would become maximized).

Have Your Band-in-a-Box® Delivered In Time for Christmas!

The gift of music... some say this is the greatest gift of all! Imagine receiving the tools to help you create your own music for Christmas... like Band-in-a-Box!

If you are in the United States or Canada, order Band-in-a-Box before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

If you are outside of North America, order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

With major savings and Bonus PAKs until December 31st, it's a great time to purchase Band-in-a-Box upgrades as a gift for someone you know... or for yourself!
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - 49 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows boasts more than 50 new features... and a lot of the new features fill the requests posted by program users!

Some of these include:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I love the Audio Chord Wizard, as it figures out chords from mp3 and other audio files. But it is a separate program from Band-in-a-Box, and I can’t go back and forth to change things easily.

A. We've solved that, as BiaB 2018 has integrated the Audio Chord Wizard directly into Band-in-a-Box. Now load an audio file into BiaB, open the Audio Edit Window – Audio Chord Wizard mode, and let it automatically figure out the bar lines and chords for the song.

Q. I like to save songs as MP3 files, and can't do this with BiaB, except a very low quality one, 64kbps.

A. We've improved this, by adding support for Windows Media Foundation. This allows you to save MP3 in your choice of resolutions, up to very high 320mpbs. Better still, it works on current versions of Windows (Windows 7,8,10) and also on older versions too (Vista, XP).

We've answered 49 questions - review all of these answers on our forum post "49 of your Problems solved? List of 49 Requests fulfilled in Band-in-a-Box 2018" here.

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 3 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can update their version with the latest patch, Build 3. Download this patch here

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 3:

Added: Section Numbers supported. All section letter menus now include numbers 1 through 9 in addition to letters A through Z.
Fixed: Section letters in Notation Window were not being resized if the notation was zoomed in/out
Fixed: RealBand might freeze when generating audio harmonies
Fixed: Loading in a BB song (MGU/SGU) or generating realtracks could freeze up the program.
Fixed: Chords in Notation/LeadSheet on 1st beat of a bar were being drawn too close to bar lines.
Fixed: Support for XP and Vista.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_3

Forum Stats
26716 Members
50 Forums
48897 Topics
399752 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ava Smith, Elsa R, Bell, scotty-mcd, chadrips

26716 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)