Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#434545 10/21/17 01:51 PM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
J
OP Offline
J
Got to my after jazz fest party in Deland fla(Noble Watts Jazz fest) and biab stopped working at my restuarant gig. Drove an hr to get disc & it no longer installs from D drive on windows 10 Lost $$$$$$$$$$ for years. Owner won't ever use me again being I made him & myself the fools from biab fail !

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Sounds like a hardware failure and nothing to do with BIAB......

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jim graves
Got to my after jazz fest party in Deland fla(Noble Watts Jazz fest) and biab stopped working at my restuarant gig. Drove an hr to get disc & it no longer installs from D drive on windows 10 Lost $$$$$$$$$$ for years. Owner won't ever use me again being I made him & myself the fools from biab fail !

Jim,

I'm just a user like you and I'm very sorry to hear about this catastophe. Are you sure that it was due to BIAB? It sounds more like it might have been a Windows or computer issue.

I learnt a long time ago never to trust computers. I always have a back up plan in case the computer I'm using decides to throw a tantrum. Many people on here who play live, also carry wav files of their BIAB backing tracks as a back up.

Is BIAB working now? If so, how did you fix it?

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I see Charlie was typing at the same time as me and had a similar thought.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Expert
Expert
Sorry to hear about that, Jim.
Not knowing the particulars come into play in your
work, I can only add that when I play live using backing tracks (originated in Band in a Box and tweaked in a DAW and a digital recorder,) those
files have been exported, finally, as WAV, and carried on two players, one of which is a backup.
Cheer up, Jim. Going through the ordeal is the horrific part. You'll find plenty of sympathy here and
no shortage of talented people who may insure that this never happens to you again.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Veteran
Veteran
Jim, sorry to hear that as your first post.

Always, always, post details. You know basic stuff like your OS, computer specs and Biab version.

This is assuming you're not just trolling us...

Oh, and you didn't bother reading the FAQ's at the top of the forum. This is not the Biab forum.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
R
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
R
Sorry to hear about your experience.

Just to underline what others have said - always have a backup. At a recent outing one of the bass players strings broke and he didn't have a spare - very bad. As a woodwind player I always carry spare reeds. The same with technology - to which "murphy's law" seems to affect disproportionately - unfortunately.

Last edited by raddy; 10/21/17 11:12 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
just trolling us...

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
First of all, I'm sorry you lost your gig. Here is how to prevent it from happening again.

I never-ever depend on only one piece of essential gear to get me through a gig. Back up gear is mandatory.

I make my tracks sometimes with BiaB, sometimes from scratch in a DAW/Sequencer. I save them as a 192kb mp3 file.

I bring two computers to the gig with duplicate apps and data on them. They are both up and running all gig long.

I can get along with one computer. I also have the song data on a flash drive. If both computers fail, I can go to a store, get another computer, and it will recognize the USB->Audio interface and play the mp3 files from the flash drive on Windows Media Player.

I've been doing this since the late 1990s and I've had to go to the other computer three times. Not bad for 20 years of making a living doing one-nighters.

(1) the hard drive started to make noise and an mp3 file stuttered. I switched the USB->Audio interface to the other computer as soon as the song was done, and finished the show. Replaced the HD the next day.

(2) the screen went dark on boot up, switched to the other computer and went on. The screen was fixed under warranty.

(3) I didn't really have to go to the other computer, but the CMOS battery failed and the computer wouldn't boot. I could have entered the date and time in the DOS type screen that appeared, but it was easier and quicker to go to the spare computer.

Non computers need spares too.

I have 2 active speakers - if one goes out the show goes on.

I can play sax, guitar, and flute parts on the wind synth, so I bring a spare wind controller and sound module to the gig.

I bring an extra mic.

Never-ever depend on an essential piece of gear for your gig. A spare is cheap insurance considering how much you will lose if you lose the gig.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Jim, also sorry to hear about your serious issue. I guess the lesson to be learned is to check everything beforehand, and as the others have mentioned, have a backup plan. Wav files and even a backup laptop being the most appropriate option, even if it's of a lower specification.

As a first time poster and given the issue you endured, I can understand why you went to the Help! forum. It's just that your post may get noticed more quickly in the Beginners or main Band In A Box forum.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, SynthogyIvory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer ActiveMonitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Jim I'm also sorry to hear about your lost gig and future opportunities (and I also assuming you aren't trolling)

At this point getting help is TOO Late at least for that venue - you already lost it. You need to be better prepared in future.

BUT for this instance:

- I suspect you DID NOT scope out the venue in DETAIL days before the gig (house sound system, mics, mixers, power PLUGS, etc.)

- I suspect you did NOT DRY RUN IT at home first? From now on tear everything part you plan to bring to gig, move it to the garage or another room, set it up like it would be at venue including suitable substitutions for any "house" gear and see if it all WORKS as configured.

- Finally, you obviously didn't have ANY kind of backup planned or you wouldn't be here posting about it.

ONE IS NONE, TWO IS ONE!

I hope you can figure out issue, correct it, and go forth and get other gigs. Maybe if you have a few successful gigs get the previous venue owner to see you DO HAVE your "stuff" together and get another shot at it.

Good Luck
Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Along with having two fully load with programs for a gig computers I would also have an Uninterrupted Power Supply, at least around here. That is if I was still gigging.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: jim graves

Been there done that, with windows chord wav coming thru the PA when there is an error.

Solution, save your songs to video.mp4 and play then with a hardware player, even a portable DVD player with a usb port for a flash drive, or a Tablet.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Along with having two fully load with programs for a gig computers I would also have an Uninterrupted Power Supply, at least around here. That is if I was still gigging.

I use 2 ThinkPad laptops, so there is plenty of battery. So the UPS is not needed, but I always use a Power Conditioner. It minimizes both the voltage spikes and dips. The dips can be as nasty on your gear as the spikes. So if I'm on the same circuit as the AC or Ice Machine, when it kicks on, the voltage to my gear doesn't drop.

The up side of this is I have never lost a piece of gear or even blown a fuse. And I've been gigging with a Power Conditioner since 1985. I've always relied on Tripp Lite brand, but there are plenty of other good ones out there.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
Veteran
Jim Graves...Halloween?

Just did a forum search for Jimmy, this one post is it for him.

Time to shut this thread down I think.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
R.I.P.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Jim Graves...Halloween?

Just did a forum search for Jimmy, this one post is it for him.

Time to shut this thread down I think.

Bob

Calling a Jim Jimmy a number of years ago really p""""" a poster off I remember, he didn't like it at all and insisted his name was JIM not Jimmy.

There you go, some people will take offence at anything.
musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Jimmy,

You need to forget that computer son and do what I do at a gig like that.

I just walk up to the mic with a 'coustic guitbox in my hand and say folks, sorry I ain't go no fancy equipment, but I'm about to show you how it's done.

That how we do it in North Kalalacky anyhow.

Give that a spin. I don't know nothing 'bout them wave files and all but I can dang sure guarantee you I can burn the place down.

Peace.

L
Expert
Expert
L
Interesting precautionary thread nonetheless. Need to get me some more backup. I guess I have my phone, Radial Stage Bug and mp3s as a backup to the tablet. Knowing my luck, my wife would ring me up.:-) One of my streaming shows was briefly terminated by Skype... grin

Last edited by lambada; 10/25/17 05:04 AM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Veteran
Veteran
Jim.... man..... have you ever heard of the KISS principle? Keep it simple ..... and of course Murphy's Law that says if something can go wrong it will?

You have only yourself to blame and not Band in a Box.

Notes Norton's first post on page one is the advice you should have been following.

I volunteer in SAR.... search and rescue. Regarding our essential gear like radios and flashlights.... we have a saying. Two is one and one is none. Things quit and if you have a spare you can keep going. If not....as you discovered, things can end badly.

Never play live with an application program like from a DAW or BiaB. I have done a few musical gigs (since I stopped playing in bands) and for my backup I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS made mixes of the songs and never even once considered running them through my laptop DAW feeding the PA.... nope, not even once. I always burned them to an audio CD, checked it in multiple devices, made duplicates of the disk and then went to the gig. With the application DAW or BiaB, your computer is trying to process multiple wave tracks and possibly even softsynths and it's working hard to do that whereas a music player running an MP3 is nothing to the processor. Less work generally translates to a more stable platform and less chance of a crash.

If I was ever to start gigging for fun and profit, I would have my stuff on laptops in the MP3 320k format and have duplicate computers as NN said.

This is one of those things you might not ever forget. Hopefully, you will have a chance to talk to the manager at the place where you blew it and see if he'll give you a second shot at playing there again. Of course, move all your tunes to MP3 and get 2 computers and be ready for the inevitable SNAFU when .... not if, but when it comes again. Next time, you can switch computers...... make a joke about it and finish the gig with the other machine.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.

You can make excuses or you can make progress but you can't do both.
Veteran
Veteran
One post, almost 10 days ago, with no further response or acknowledgment.

While the discussion is great, the original post looks like a troll.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,306
Posts731,340
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213