Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#436234 - 11/01/17 05:52 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need some computer help [Re: Larry Kehl]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Hi Larry,

I just triple checked the logs and there is no mention of chkdsk. I have no idea what happened.

The only time that this computer is on-line is to update software that either is a PITA to do off-line or has no off-line service available. Thus my Ethernet card is mostly disabled. I also keep Defender turned off because if it is on it has a propensity to slow my DAW to a crawl. I also keep anti-malwarebytes turned off for the same reason.

After each software update I update and run both Defender and anti-malwarebytes. After they are finished those two are turned off and the Ethernet card disabled. Note that no other anti-virus was installed on this computer.

The system was running fine, as I was able to turn those off and on with no problem. I turned them off, shut down my system, and went to bed. The next day I had the problem all over again.

Today I DLed the free Avast anti-virus. Thus far all is fine, i.e. I have shut down and started it with no problems. We shall see in the morning if all is still OK. Note I scanned everything with Avast and it didn't find any viruses either.

Thanx for you time and help - MarioD

PS - I'm going to buy another 1 TB HD just in case.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#436242 - 11/01/17 06:18 PM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need some computer help [Re: MarioD]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Hey Mario, for the network on/off, I just use the following 2 DOS command lines each in their own .BAT file with shortcuts on the desktop. That way I can turn the network off and on with a click.

I also have the DISABLE one set up in Scheduled tasks to turn off the network overnight each night at the same time and have the window prompt me that it's going to turn off in 1 minute. That way I can stop it if I'm working on something online.

netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" ENABLED

netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" DISABLED

I don't turn off anything else and Microsoft seems to not have any issues with updates.

Also "Ethernet" above is the name of my main network connection. Could be different in your case.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#437907 - 11/14/17 05:49 AM [Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)] Re: I need some computer help [Re: MarioD]
Paj Offline
Apprentice

Mario,

(1) This might help:

It was sent to me by Microsoft after a posting to their community:

(First, set a Restore Point, just in case.)

Open up your Command Prompt window (Start Menu-->Windows System-->Command Prompt) and type (note the spaces):

sfc /scannow

[Shift]-[Ctrl]-[Enter] to run as administrator

After the error report, even if nothing is found, type:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

[Shift]-[Ctrl]-[Enter] to run as administrator

I hope that the same magic occurs for you that occurred for me---everything was back as it should be. Also, I noticed no recent data losses.

(2) I'd say you're due for an update. The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update cleared up issues for me, including a Windows Defender error that was introduced by Driver Assist (I do NOT recommend this program) and could not be rectified by the outdated version of Windows 10. It also makes Edge run faster, more reliably, resolves issues for it, and does not delete Favorites for Edge like previous updates did (although, I would still export my bookmarks/favorites from within Edge before I updated, using the export option in the upper-right "•••" menu (Settings->Import from another browser->Export to file). I'd say you're due for an update.

Good luck.

Paj
8^)

Edited by Paj (11/15/17 11:39 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
27835 Members
51 Forums
53022 Topics
440114 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
HCM, iyana, mfandrich, Lefaff, alleas23

27835 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 152