Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#437365 11/10/17 05:36 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Online Content
Apprentice
Hi all... hoping I’m putting this in the right place and also hoping someone can help me out and put an end to my frustration!

I have a new interface - Steinberg UR22 mk ll - that I'm trying to wire up. But it seems that I've got a problem.

I have a wire coming from my MIDI keyboard controller's OUT that goes to MIDI IN on my interface. The interface's MIDI OUT goes to my Ketron SD2 sound module's IN

This may look good on paper but there is a problem. The MIDI signals are going into the interface and then into and the Ketron SD 2. The signal is also going to the DAW (Sonar) I know this because the little blue light on the Ketron blinks when I play a note and the meters in the DAW are moving as they should when I play a note. But there is no sound coming out from the interface into the speakers. (yes... the speakers are on) smile

I've reinstalled the Steinberg drivers and still nothing. I have tried it with other DAWs – BIAB and Cubase - and have the same problem there as well.

Also, when I plug my earphones into the interface there is no sound. But when I plug the earphones into the Ketron I have sound.

I know that this is probably some stupid easy little setting that has to be changed somewhere but I've run out of ideas and of places to look. I’m a real newb with this interface and am not very tech savvy in general.

Like I said... the MIDI notes are going everywhere they’re supposed to go... Except there's just no sound coming out.

It would be really good if maybe some kind soul out there could help me out? It would be so much appreciated.

Hope I've put in enough info - if not I'll get whatever else that would be needed.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

• I'm running Windows 10 PRO
• Roland PC-200 MIDI controller. It only has one MIDI port - “MIDI OUT”
• Steinberg UR22 mkll that has 3 MIDI ports – IN,OUT and Thru
• Ketron SD2 Sound module that has 2 MIDI ports – IN and Thru
• BIAB
• Real Band
• Sonar Platinum
• Cubase

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The Steinberg UR22 MK ll is not a MIDI SOUND MODULE, you will never get it to make any sound or hear anything in headphones unless you ROUTE some AUDIO signals into it.

all it does is route MIDI DATA (which is NOT SOUND) from outside the PC to inside the PC and vice versa.

you need route the AUDIO from your Ketron to the INPUTS of the UR22 at a minimum

Since I'm unfamiliar with this interface and it's virtual audio mixer (if any) you will have to read instructions on how to get DAW audio into it and back to PC, or out to speakers, or...

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
The Steinberg UR22 MK ll is not a MIDI SOUND MODULE, you will never get it to make any sound or hear anything in headphones unless you ROUTE some AUDIO signals into it. all it does is route MIDI DATA (which is NOT SOUND) from outside the PC to inside the PC and vice versa.

Huh? He knows it is an interface. He even said so.

Did you try bypassing the interface and go from from controller to sound source and see if you get sound? That will tell you if your interface is outputting MIDI. Is everything on the same MIDI channel? Did you power cycle the interface? Did you reboot the controller and sound source? Does your interface have switchable midi outs? If so, is it on or off? After you updated the drivers did you reboot the computer? Those are just the generic things. Beyond that, you have a midi traffic indicator showing traffic is passing, so beyond checking channels and on/off options, you may be calling the manufacturer of the interface if their manual doesn't show you anything in the trouble shooting section.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Do you want to record keyboard midi in Sonar or Audio from Ketron SD2 or both ?

You should be able to connect your keyboard straight to the Ketron SD2 then connect the Ketron SD2 audio and midi to the UR22 then in Sonar select UR22 as midi in and audio in.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Online Content
Apprentice
Hi guys

Sorry for being long in getting back to you. I had a hard drive crash yesterday and had to beg my computer guy to get me back up as soon as possible. And he came through, I picked it up late this afternoon.
The computer is running marvelously but I hate having to reinstall everything again.

I'm going to put up a short video on my YouTube channel that shows you the way I'm trying to wire it up and what happens once it is wired up.

I still have to install BIAB and Sonar before that so the video will probably be up in the afternoon. I'll let you know once it's up.

Thanks so much for the comebacks!!!

Bobby

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: bobbyt9999
..I still have to install BIAB and Sonar, THEN make a backup clone of my hard drive.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Online Content
Apprentice
Hi again all. Pipeline... I can't plug the keyboard straight into the Ketron as there's only 2 MIDI cable inputs on it... MIDI IN and MIDI Thru. You have to have a MIDI interface in order to get the MIDI signals into the computer. (DAW) I have the same situation when recording audio as well... It's all there but you can't hear it.

As I said... I'm able to record and play back in Sonar... just no sound. The little blue light on the Ketron flashes when I press a key on the MIDI controller, meaning that the signal is going into the interface. When I record a track in Sonar it's all there. Same with playback. It's putting it out but there's no sound. Nothing in the earphones when either recording or playback.
It's the same situation with BIAB...

I'm thinking that there MUST be a setting somewhere in Windows 10 that I'm missing. Windows 10 does recognize the interface and uses it for it's own sounds when it is plugged in without any problems. Very frustrating to be sure. mad

Bobby

Last edited by bobbyt9999; 11/14/17 03:50 PM.
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:
I have a new interface - Steinberg UR22 mk ll - that I'm trying to wire up. But it seems that I've got a problem.

I have a wire coming from my MIDI keyboard controller's OUT that goes to MIDI IN on my interface. The interface's MIDI OUT goes to my Ketron SD2 sound module's IN

How you had it set up you could send the Midi Out from Sonar to the Midi Out on your UR22 to the Ketron SD2 and you would have sound playing a midi track back in Sonar.

Try this:

Quote:
I have a wire coming from my MIDI keyboard controller's OUT that goes to MIDI IN on my Ketron SD2 sound module, my Ketron SD2 sound module has MIDI THRU that lets the same MIDI signal Through >>>>>>>> to my new interface - Steinberg UR22 mk ll, my Ketron SD2 sound module has Audio OUT that I connect to my new interface - Steinberg UR22 mk ll Audio INPUT.
I set Sonar's MIDI IN to UR22, I set Sonar's Audio OUT & IN to UE22.
When I record in Sonar it Records the Midi coming from my MIDI keyboard controller's OUT into my Ketron SD2 MIDI IN then out MIDI THRU to my UR22 and into Sonar, it also Records the Audio produce by my keyboard controller's OUT into my Ketron SD2, this Audio my Ketron SD2 produces goes into my UR22 and then is Recorded on an Audio track in Sonar.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For all the more complex your MIDI set-up is you could go this way and this is JUST ONE WAY. This first configuration assumes you want to use your DAW all the time to play Ketron (which means PC must be on all the time just play and listen to the Ketron via its headphone jack). And to reiterate what I alluded to previously this is JUST MIDI data routing: it ASSUMES you know which MIDI channels you are sending MIDI data on, which MIDI channels on the keyboard, DAW, KETRON or other MIDI HW/SW are “listening,” etc.

Also, this has nothing to do with AUDIO routing that is a separate discussion.

1. Keyboard OUT to UR 22 MIDI IN (which allows MIDI connectivity to PC over USB),

2. Inside PC now:

-Your DAW (SONAR, BIAB, …) MIDI IN from “UR 22 MIDI port” whatever it’s called in your DAW)

-Your DAW MIDI OUT (using again the UR 22 MIDI Port )

3. UR22 MIDI OUT (which got it’s MIDI data form your DAW) to Ketron MIDI IN, and Finally completing “circuit,”

4. (see this old post for Ketron MIDI THRU or OUT) http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=232431

option a. Ketron MIDI THRU ( to Keyboard MIDI IN. Note, using the THUR function of the Ketron allows ALL MIDI data sent by DAW to end up at keyboard (may or may not cause a MIDI feedback loop depending on your DAW settings, whether your keyboard is set for “local control” on or off, etc. OR

option b. Ketron MIDI OUT to Keyboard MIDI IN. Now what MIDI data gets to keyboard is dependent on other factors

OR you could go this way (keyboard local control on – this then sends data to Ketron and PC but also triggers internal Keyboard sounds & patches/programs directly) Neither this configuration or the next one are recommended - they are just optional config's.

1. Keyboard MIDI OUT to Ketron MIDI IN

2. Ketron MIDI THRU to UR 22 MIDI IN – this allows MIDI connectivity to PC over USB and also allows all keyboard sent MIDI data to make it into the PC DAW. HOWEVER, the draw back is NO DAW MIDI DATA CAN BE SENT TO THE Ketron directly. All data from DAW to Ketron would have to go from DAW to Keyboard to Ketron which is a recipe for disaster and a MIDI loop.

[Again see this for setting Ketron thru or out
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=232431 ]

Inside PC again:

-Your DAW (SONAR, BIAB, …) MIDI IN using the “UR 22 MIDI port” – whatever it’s called in your DAW)

-Your DAW MIDI OUT (using again the UR 22 MIDI Port ) , and again to complete the "circuit:"

3. UR22 MIDI OUT to Keyboard MIDI IN

OR you could go this way (keyboard local control off – this then sends data to Ketron and PC but DOES NOT trigger internal Keyboard sounds & patches/programs - MIDI data must come back to the keyboard from outside of itself before the keyboard will make any sounds, and in this configuration that would be your DAW) - and again this is not a recommended config for you just a possibility

1. Keyboard MIDI OUT to Ketron MIDI IN

2. Ketron MIDI THRU to UR 22 MIDI IN – this allows MIDI connectivity to PC over USB and also allows all keyboard sent MIDI data to make it into the PC DAW. Again the drawback is NO DAW MIDI DATA CAN BE SENT TO THE Ketron directly. All data from DAW to Ketron would have to go from DAW to Keyboard to Ketron which is (again) a recipe for disaster and a MIDI loop.

[Again see old post for setting Ketron thru or out
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=232431 ]

Inside PC again:

-Your DAW (SONAR, BIAB, …) MIDI IN using the “UR 22 MIDI port” – whatever it’s called in your DAW)

-Your DAW MIDI OUT (using again the UR 22 MIDI Port ) , and again to complete the circuit:

3. UR22 MIDI OUT to Keyboard MIDI IN – if you want the keyboard "key push" to trigger internal keyboard sounds/programs/patches in this configuration then you must make sure to use the MIDI THRU of the Ketron AND ensure your DAW also has and allows MIDI THRU, otherwise data that you wanted to send back to the keyboard itself to trigger its sounds from keyboard “key pushes’ via this circuitous route will never make it back to trigger those sounds.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195