You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#437384 - 11/10/17 09:28 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Audio Interface with MIDI?
Boca Bob Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: South Florida
Hi Everyone,
I don't post often, but do read a lot of your posts.

I'm ready to buy a decent interface to replace my old POD X3. All I need is two channels, phantom power, AND MIDI like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I was hoping some of you could recommend some under $250 street. I just want to record voice and guitar along with MIDI from an old Proteus 1 (stop laughing). Interface should be user friendly - I'm not really MIDI literate. I want to use BBW and some MIDI backing tracks. I don't mind reading a manual, but should be novice friendly.

Thanks for reading, and any suggestions.

Bob
Ft. Lauderdale

#437502 - 11/11/17 05:24 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? [Re: Boca Bob]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Why not just get the 2i4? Price on that is under your $250 limit, $180 or so.

I'm running the 2i4 here, great little unit.

Edited by BlueAttitude (11/11/17 06:14 AM)

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Latest song: Time Flies

#437629 - 11/12/17 02:57 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Boca Bob Offline
Enthusiast

That's certainly an option. Just checking other options so I don't "wish I had known about this other one." I like doing comparisons...

#437645 - 11/12/17 06:19 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? [Re: Boca Bob]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Bob, google/bing audio interfaces with MIDI and you will find a number of them for under $250 USD.

Sorry but I can not suggest anything in that price range. My only advice is to buy a little more than what you think you need, because you may need more in the future.

Good luck.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#437665 - 11/12/17 08:08 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? [Re: Boca Bob]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
When you say you want to record midi from an old proteus clarify that a little more. I think you might mean you want to record the audio from the proteus playing back midi data. If that is the case the 2i4 may not have enough audio input channels for you to do voice and guitar and proteus simultaneously.

#437776 - 11/13/17 01:36 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? [Re: rockstar_not]
Boca Bob Offline
Enthusiast

Yes. You are correct. You totally nailed it. I want to record the Proteus playing MIDI tracks into Real Band or Power Tracks. The Proteus rear panel has mono, stereo, and/or four individual sub-outputs. I guess I could go stereo, or two tracks at a time to save money. But, I'd probably be happier with at least four inputs on the audio interface. I didn't plan on recording vocals and guitar along with the MIDI simultaneously. Just lay down the Proteus tracks and build from there.

And, someday I might want to play MIDI tracks live in a band or solo setting as backing tracks, etc. Two seperate scenarios. Although, I think if I were to use the Proteus for backing tracks, I would do all the work at home and save it as a .wav or .mp3 file and play that to avoid a "overly complicated, prone to possible failure" situation.

Thanks for your input. I'll have to raise my price range for sure. Any other insights?

Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
When you say you want to record midi from an old proteus clarify that a little more. I think you might mean you want to record the audio from the proteus playing back midi data. If that is the case the 2i4 may not have enough audio input channels for you to do voice and guitar and proteus simultaneously.

#437818 - 11/13/17 10:14 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? [Re: Boca Bob]
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Houston, Texas
For your needs then, the Scarlett 6i6 might be just the ticket. Well under $250 street, and just as great a unit as the 2i4. Next up is the 18i8, but it's street price is above your $250 ceiling.

I own a 2i4, which is all I need. It's a great little unit.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/michaelmcbroom/albums

#437870 - 11/13/17 04:26 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? [Re: Boca Bob]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Originally Posted By: Boca Bob
Yes. You are correct. You totally nailed it. I want to record the Proteus playing MIDI tracks into Real Band or Power Tracks. The Proteus rear panel has mono, stereo, and/or four individual sub-outputs. I guess I could go stereo, or two tracks at a time to save money. But, I'd probably be happier with at least four inputs on the audio interface. I didn't plan on recording vocals and guitar along with the MIDI simultaneously. Just lay down the Proteus tracks and build from there.

And, someday I might want to play MIDI tracks live in a band or solo setting as backing tracks, etc. Two seperate scenarios. Although, I think if I were to use the Proteus for backing tracks, I would do all the work at home and save it as a .wav or .mp3 file and play that to avoid a "overly complicated, prone to possible failure" situation.

Thanks for your input. I'll have to raise my price range for sure. Any other insights?

For the live playing, a mixer is more apropos than a multi channel I/O device. For recording, two tracks at a time is all I can usually manage. I have an 18i8 mostly for convenience of not having to have a mixer or patchbay in my signal chain. I’ve never recorded more than two channels at a time at home. I don’t regret buying the 18i8.

#437894 - 11/14/17 12:32 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? [Re: rockstar_not]
Boca Bob Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone smile

#438098 - 11/14/17 11:47 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: Audio Interface with MIDI? [Re: Boca Bob]
mullhull Offline

Hey Bob have you seen these ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-Behringer-XENYX-302USB-5-Input-Compact-Mixer-and-USB-Interface/172968701630?epid=2255534904&hash=item2845bceebe:g:9nkAAO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-Xenyx-Q802USB-8-Input-2-Bus-Analog-Mixer-3-Band-EQ-USB-Audio-Interface/252497179619?epid=1111109214&hash=item3aca0133e3:g:stcAA

I was fortunate ended up with a high end unit but if I am reading what you desire for recording they may do the job have some comparable reviews to Focusrite. I never laugh at any equipment !!!
Although my first Checkmate guitar with the strings 1/2" off the neck didn't make learning how to play a walk in the park it still brings a smile to my face ,wish I had a picture of it.

It did teach me at a certain point there are guitars and then there are real instruments and at a certain stage price does matter. Just thought you might like to check them out. Sweetwater and a lot of the online stores have them I am actually selling my 302 they cannot be beat for the price IMNSHO ?. Happy and Safe Holidays to every one !!! Keep on rockin !!!

PG Music News
Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

YouTube Find - Love it (with Band-in-a-Box 2018)

YouTube channel EmtpyHallToones uploaded a video of their guitar performance using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks!

Click here to watch.

Get to Know the 202 NEW RealTracks Released with Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

We released 202 NEW RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box® 2018! Learn more about these new RealTracks when you watch our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - 202 NEW RealTracks.

These new RealTracks (in Sets 278-300) are included in every Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - the Mac packages are on sale until June 30th!

Learn even more about the new RealTracks and listen to demos here.

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video for Mac

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, we've introduced Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks. This video shows you the different ways you can use these versatile new RealTracks.

Video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=zkO-AtAPv4g

You can also listen to demos of RealTracks Set 278: Shiny Vocal Oohs & Aahs here.

This RealTracks Set is available for just $29, and is also included in RealPAK 14: Country, and the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, Audiophile, or 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade.

Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Special Pricing Until June 30th!

With the recent Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release, we also released Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends June 30th!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! Learn more.

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Forum Stats
27617 Members
50 Forums
52221 Topics
432233 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
ausvsac, Jose-Luis-NZ, Cipher, BillyP, fleahead

27616 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 192
Noel96 170