OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Dear BIAB Mates,

I was at the PGMusic web-site yesterday, and noticed that they are
pushing "Xtra Styles Paks." There are apparently 3 paks of real styles
which have been released separately from their annual upgrades. Two of
these paks were released following the release of BAIB2016, and one of
them was released following the release of BIAB2017.

Each of these three paks costs $49 which is a reasonable price if one
wants to buy the extra styles. However the thing that concerns me is
that when I purchased the "BIAB2017 Everything Pak" it didn't include
these extra styles which were released for BIAB2016. I realize the one
released for BIAB2017 was after-the-fact so I wouldn't expect it to be
included in the "everything pak" for BIAB2017, but I would expect it to
be included in the BIAB2018 "everything pak" which will be released soon.

So I hopped on the PGMusic "chat" and raised this issue with the support
person on the other end who admitted that the "everything pak" was
deceptively named. It doesn't include "everything" despite the name.

The FAQ at PGMusic includes the following question/answer:
30. What is the difference between the Band-in-a-Box and RealBand
EverythingPAK and the PG Music OmniPAK?
The EverythingPAK includes *all* of the currently available RealTracks,
RealDrums, *Style Sets*, all the regular Soloist Sets, the Andy LaVerne
Soloist Series, and Melodist Sets. It also includes the Video Tutorial
PAK, and the 'Songs and Lessons' PAK for Band-in-a-Box. [added the
emphasis around the words "all" and "Style Sets"]

I am very disheartened that PGMusic would stoop to such lows as to tell
us that we get "all the currently available . . . Style Sets" and then
essentially say "oops, only kidding, to get certain style sets you need
to pay a lot more money."

I just thought everybody should be aware that even though you may
purchase the "everything pak" you're not getting everything and they
even admit it's deceptively titled!

Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dhbailey
Dear BIAB Mates,

...the support person on the other end who admitted that the "everything pak" was deceptively named. It doesn't include "everything" despite the name.

Well I would suspect they were not implying there was something nefarious intended. Just acknowledging that "everything" may not have been the best term to use.

So here is how I see it. The Xtra Styles are actually NOT new styles at all, but just a application of the prior styles which came in the "everything pak". These "Xtra Styles" are PG musicians applying their skills at mixing and matching the "existing" styles including all the realtracks. So there you have it. Even the word "Xtra" is not entirely correct usage. But I would not go so far as to use the word deceptive.

Coming from Canada, maybe its because PGMusic is not native US speakers (said with a big smile). grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
But the description of these "xtra paks" says: (copied and pasted from the PGMusic web-site)
"Xtra Styles PAKs will add TONS of new RealStyles to your collection" -- they are *new* real styles, not reworking of older styles.

And (equally with a big smile) I'm sure that even in Canada "everything" actually means "everything."

Regarding the use of the word "deceptive" here's a quote from the PGMusic chat session I had this morning:
"The name EverythingPAK is understandably deceptive, as it isn't include literally everything."
That was from the technician at PGMusic.

Veteran
Veteran
By the way, have you checked out what comes with NI "Komplete" and what does not? crazy

Big sound suites like Komplete and like BIAB and like Toontracks cost a lot of money. Combine that with the fact that they continue to grow and therefore need more money if what they provide is of value. To us users we have to decide on exactly what the value is to us and how much we want to pay.

Just sayin...

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
"Xtra Styles PAKs will add TONS of new RealStyles to your collection" -- they are *new* real styles, not reworking of older styles.

OK, on first pass that is a bit discept... - I mean confusing. But what they are implying, or should be implying, is there are no new sounds. Just a reworking of existing sounds.

Ya this is all coming back to me now. We have had this discussion here in the past. Others have pointed this out and been very vocal. What can I say. crazy

D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I understand the need for a cash-flow to keep the company alive, and I'm all in favor of that, having upgraded every version along the way since the DOS days.

They could raise the price of the Everything Pak if they feel they need to, if they would only live up to what they're calling it and actually include those extra styles paks. Or change the label for what they now call the "everything pak." Label it "Almost Everything Pak" and be honest and upfront about the fact that it's not really complete.

What other companies do isn't germane to the issue -- just as when we were little children and did something bad and justified it to our parents by saying "But everybody was doing it!" and our parents pointed out that just because everybody is doing it doesn't change a bad thing into a good thing.

I realize I'm just spitting into the wind on this point, but I wanted to be sure that people who haven't been around for any previous discussions on this point understand that the "everything" pak doesn't really have everything included, even though PGMusic's own FAQ says it does.

D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
[snip]But what they are implying, or should be implying, is there are no new sounds. Just a reworking of existing sounds.

They're very clear that these are not new sounds, but rather are new styles working with existing realtracks. That's stated very clearly. I wasn't confused about that, nor am I upset about that.

Since we can't make our own real styles, we're at the mercy of whatever they release should we want a wider palette of styles to choose from.

Don't get me wrong -- I will be buying these styles sets when the budget allows (assuming they're not included in the BIAB2018 Everything Pak) for several reasons: 1) because I really like some of the new styles and will find them useful and 2) I want to keep supporting PGMusic because I value their continued production of BIAB, just as I have supported them since I first found out about them.

I realize that buying these new styles paks will be rewarding what I view as bad behavior, but I also know that they're not likely to change their behavior just from my complaints, so I can either not buy the styles and punish PGMusic by withholding my money while also punishing myself by not getting styles that may be very useful, or I can simply bite the bullet, buy the styles, and having had my little temper tantrum here, get back to more important life issues. smile

Apprentice
Apprentice
since we can't make our own real styles

Of course you can.

Every year that's even a user contest creating new styles, and many of the ones included in the Xtra Paks are.

HTH,

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: LtKojak

Of course you can.

Every year that's even a user contest creating new styles, and many of the ones included in the Xtra Paks are.

HTH,

Well, when I open up the stylemaker the only choices I see for instruments are MIDI patches. So how does one go about creating a new real style -- one that uses realtracks instead of midi instruments? What am I doing wrong that I can't access the realtracks instruments?

Veteran
Veteran

Coming from Canada, maybe its because PGMusic is not native US speakers (said with a big smile). grin

The only five Canadian words that I know are Labatts, Molson Golden, hockey and eh grin

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Just when you have found peace I almost hate to bring this up. But,

Quote:
Since we can't make our own real styles, we're at the mercy of whatever they release should we want a wider palette of styles to choose from.

I am of the opinion that we can make our own real styles. Real styles are not like midi styles which involve coding. Real Styles are nothing more than; set the key, set the tempo and select a grouping of real tracks for the instruments.

BIAB tries to provide a product that can work with customers of any skill levels (that means no skill to advanced). So if you don't know that you should not have two bass players playing at the same time, or that drums should not swing when the piano is playing straight, then no problem, Real Styles are provided which give you a appropriate band playing in an appropriate manner. But if you want two bass players cause you have a jones for bass, and a swing groove against a straight backing fits your jazz mood, then you just need whatever real tracks you want to get your "real style".

Now I know this is a controversial subject and I don't want to upset anyone, but BIAB is one complex instrument that can take a very long time to master. Others may have other opinions - which are always welcome here.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: LtKojak

Of course you can.

HTH,

Ya, what our man in Italy said... grin

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Well, when I open up the stylemaker the only choices I see for instruments are MIDI patches. So how does one go about creating a new real style -- one that uses realtracks instead of midi instruments? What am I doing wrong that I can't access the realtracks instruments?

Now you are asking the right questions.

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
dhbailey:

You COULD make any of the "Xtra Styles" yourself, if you've a mind to. You don't need the "Stylemaker" as you've found out. You just start with a "blank" style, or any existing style, and add the same RealTracks that PGMusic did in their "Xtra Style".

Mind you, you have to sort through the myriad of RT's , mix them accurately, get the beat right, the tempo right, the mix right etc. That's where the value is of buying them. They've gone through all that work, you just buy and use.

I do agree that "everything" in this context is misleading. I like your idea of the "almost everything pak".

LLOYD S

D
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Just when you have found peace I almost hate to bring this up. But,

Quote:

I am of the opinion that we can make our own real styles. Real styles are not like midi styles which involve coding. Real Styles are nothing more than; set the key, set the tempo and select a grouping of real tracks for the instruments.

Creating a style is more than simply choosing different realtracks -- creating a style means providing the data like the stylemaker requires for midi styles. To create a style you have to tell the "players" what to play, how to voice the chords we want. And then we need to be able to save that as a separate style which will work as we want it to whenever we choose it. I still don't see how to do that and nobody has provided any instructions.

If I start out with a blank style and then select realtracks for the different patches, I indeed get new sounds. However I can't save that as my own real style. And if I open up the StyleMaker, and save the current style under a new name, when I select that style it shows up with no instruments in the various tracks.

So again I ask, how does a user create their own real style?

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Creating a style is more than simply choosing different realtracks -- creating a style means providing the data like the stylemaker requires for midi styles. To create a style you have to tell the "players" what to play, how to voice the chords we want. And then we need to be able to save that as a separate style which will work as we want it to whenever we choose it. I still don't see how to do that and nobody has provided any instructions.

You really got this all wrong.

First, real-styles are not like midi-styles.
Real styles are a collection of the audio recording of multiple individual instruments. The only thing these recording need from you is the tempo and key and the chords. Chord voicings have already been recorded.

Second, I don't make and save real-track styles, I make and save songs. So someone else will have to comment on how to "save" your new real-style.

And finally, patience, there are a lot of professional question answers here, much better than I at addressing you questions. I am sure they will weigh-in, in due time.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
If I start out with a blank style and then select realtracks for the different patches, I indeed get new sounds. However I can't save that as my own real style. And if I open up the StyleMaker, and save the current style under a new name, when I select that style it shows up with no instruments in the various tracks.

RealStyles are very different from MIDI styles and are processed by a completely different engine. You don't get to "tell" the RealTracks how to play like you do the MIDI tracks in a MIDI style.

You have several options to create a new RealStyle based on existing RealTracks. As has been said, start with a blank style (or actually start with any style; doesn't really matter. Then substitute the RealTracks you want, and then select "Save Current Song (except muted instrument) as a Style"

Or you can open StyleMaker and for a particular track, you can click on the Miscellaneous Style Settings, then click the More button, which will let you assign a RealTrack to that track.

When you do that, however, you don't get all the settings that you do with MIDI - such as, play only under these circumstances, or push a certain number of ticks, or set weights on different patterns, etc. No, you just get that RealTrack that gets played as the RT engine determines.

Maybe not the answer you want, but it's the way it works.

And yes, the EverythingPak isn't everything. It does not include every product PGMusic sells. For example, in additional the the XTRA styles, you still have to purchase jbridge separately if you want to use 64-bit plugins, you also don't get the Coyote Forte softsynth, and you don't get all the libraries.

I do agree that a better term should be used; just like I think the ProPak should be renamed, as that has caused much confusion over the years. You think you are getting the Professional version, but it's really just the basic program with a few styles thrown in to give you a flavor of what BIAB/RealBand can do.

But also as has been pointed out, if you go to the Native Instruments site, their "Komplete" series isn't "complete"; in fact, there are two levels of "Komplete" and even the "Komplete Ultimate" (while it really has A LOT) doesn't have everything.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
With an anticipated new release being launched soon, maybe it's an ideal time for PG Music to consider new naming conventions for the product range?

As an example, somehow the name 'Band-in-a-Box Pro' does give the impression that it's something more than the basic 'Entry Level' into the product range.

Perhaps 'Band-in-a-Box Lite' or 'Lite-Pak' might actually be more fitting for this particular product?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Something similar that has bothered me in the past...

I have paid additional $$ for extra paks of RealTracks then in the following year found those same RealTracks included in the upgrade and referred to as new RealTracks. I only discovered this because I was thrilled with some baritone guitar tracks one year and hoping for more the next year. Then I saw "new" baritone tracks in the following year's upgrade but they were the same ones I bought previously.

J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Why are folks mentioning Komplete as if their deceptive marketing makes other deceptive marketing ok??? "Well, others do it" is NOT an acceptable excuse!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,509
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195