Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#4384 01/12/08 07:39 PM
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
R
OP Offline
R
I'm new to PT Pro Audio. I have a Yamaha keyboard connected to my computer via a Tascam US 122. I'm using a standard 1/4 jack from the Yamaha Headphone jack into the Tascam and the Tascam uses USB to the computer. I've laid down a drum track and everything is fine. The problem occurs when I then lay down a piano track next. When I listen to it, it starts off fine, but then the piano gets off sync. I understand their are latency issues with MIDI but in this case, I'm not using MIDI. Any suggestions?

Expert
Expert
I'm not familiar with PT, but there could still be problems with latency - MIDI is not the only technology that takes time to process data, or in this case, signals.

Of course, someone more familiar with the devices you have may be able to give a more pertinent answer.

Another point, while I've seen it mentioned here quite a bit, the headphone jack is probably not the best signal source - better to use a line out if possible. Normally a headphone jack is set up to drive headphones:
a) 32 Ohm impedance rather than 600 Ohm or 47k,
b) NOT line level (1v peak to peak IIRC)
c) Also IIRC, there is some equalisation curve applied to make up for (headphone) speaker response deficiencies (a bit like the old RIAA curve for vinyl - this was done during recording and undone in you'r amp's pre-amp stage)

Of course, if you don't have a line out, you use what you got...

Last edited by Lawrie; 01/12/08 09:20 PM.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Headphone output can safely drive a line input.

Rule of thumb, if the impedence of the input is higher than the impedence of the output in audio work, it is not a problem. Ohm's law.

This is likely not a latency problem but a sync problem.

Revisit the Preferences->Audio in PT and try things. If using MME drivers, try switching to ASIO, just to see what happens.

MME drivers, use the automatic button to fill in the stuff, "Get from Soundcard".

Try different settings for audio sync.

I don't know the 122, but does it have a Direct Monitoring capability in its control panel somewhere? May just be that you are monitoring at the Output when recording.

HTH,

--Mac

Mac #4387 01/13/08 01:46 AM
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Rule of thumb, if the impedence of the input is higher than the impedence of the output in audio work, it is not a problem. Ohm's law.

True, but not ideal - an impedance mismatch is an impedance mismatch - but this one is not worth arguing over - in most cases there are probably worse problems in the signal path.

Lawrie's $0.02 AUD

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I don't want to argue, actually there is no argument here, I just want to set the record straight.

Impedance mismatch when the input is higher impedance than the output is only a power loss.

Which is a good thing in this case.

Let's take the worst case of a headphone amp output that is designed for 8 ohm impedance cans. (Not typicaly today, where the output is going to be typically higher, from about 32 ohms to maybe 100, but using worst case will show how negligible the power loss really is).

Ohm's law demonstrates that the 8 ohm impedance amplifier jacked into a 10Kohm impedence Line Input will have to develop less voltage across the load. And therefore less power.

But because the load impedence is HIGHER than the output impedance of the Audio Amplifier, there will be no circuit loading of the amplifier and thus no change in frequency response or ability to recreate high or low frequencies.

This is only true at Audio frequencies, if we were talking RF frequencies then the power transfer situation as well as the frequency situation would prove problematic.

BTW this is a basic rule of audio connection taught in many of today's recording schools. "You can always safely introduce a Low Impedance output into a High Impedence input, but not the other way around."

Confusion comes in when people confuse the impedence of nonpowered outputs like mics or guitars. Even then, the Low Impedence passive device can indeed feed a High Impedence input without frequency degradation, but you might not have enough amplitude there to drive the input well enough. That is a signal voltage issue that the headphone amp won't have problems dealing with.

--Mac

Mac #4389 01/13/08 02:56 PM
Expert
Expert
G'day Mac,
this is kinda fun

Also in the interests of keeping the record straight...
Quote:

Impedance mismatch when the input is higher impedance than the output is only a power loss.

Actually, due to capacitive and inductive effects in the surrounding components including the leads etc., you also get reflections. Dectable with a CRO but not really audible - Chorus and echo effects would be far greater delays - and as you say, increased frequency exaggerates things. Neglible at audio - possibly devastating at RF.

Quote:

Let's take the worst case of a headphone amp output that is designed for 8 ohm impedance cans. (Not typicaly today, where the output is going to be typically higher, from about 32 ohms to maybe 100, but using worst case will show how negligible the power loss really is).

Ohm's law demonstrates that the 8 ohm impedance amplifier jacked into a 10Kohm impedence Line Input will have to develop less voltage across the load. And therefore less power.

Actually, it's primarily a parallel circuit, voltage remains the same, current is reduced - end result, power is also still reduced... (P=VI). I said "primarily parallel" 'cos leads etc. also have series resistance as well as reactance but this is usually negligible in relation the overall impedances in question.

I apologise Mac, I tend to be a bit pedantic at times - unreasonably so when it's an issue that doesn't really matter. For all practical purposes in a purely audio environment you are quite correct, but my background includes telecommunications where it just HAD to be right, no matter what, 'cos everything ended up in carrier systems where you were constantly moving audio streams into and out of RF channels in the carrier systems. Reflections and power losses were a HUGE no-no. ANY kind of echo was most unwelcome...

Very glad I ain't in it anymore...

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
My background covers the whole gambut from DC to Daylight, didn't start out that way, just what happened over time and the ever-changing work environment that our generation must be able to deal with.

Having started out in audio, though, recording and broadcast studios, I all too soon found out how much murder we get away with in the audio region a few decades back when having to deal with RF design seriously. Heh.

Then came bouts with the Telco stuff, followed by some rather sincere broadcast TV design work, triaxial repeaters for cameras, stuff that is now outdated analog anyway (grin) and after that came the last decade or so, digitization of radar in just about all the environments as it ended up. Now there's a place where you'd better match your impedances.

But reflections, all that jazz, aren't going to be a problem in an unbalanced run of a few feet from an earphone amp output to a Line Input on a soundcard or mixerboard and today's twenty to twenty, man. I've driven broadcast audio lines with the speaker outputs on TLO solid state poweramps just fine.

Peace.

--Mac

Mac #4391 01/14/08 09:01 AM
Expert
Expert
Er, quite fascinating stuff Mac, Lawrie, but none of that is going to solve RanchWilder’s sync problem!

For what it’s worth, I had exactly the same phenomenon.
I’d record a click track but then find that a second audio track I’d recorded while listening to it was out of sync (way out of sync after 90 secs).

I still have a huge folder of test00, test01 etc files that date from that time.

But, and this is the reason for my post RanchWilder, watch and listen closely.
Record a 5 minute audio click track in PTPA and then go back to the start and press Record (doesn’t matter if you’re not actually recording anything).

I have a hunch that from about 90 secs onwards (but this will be crystal clear after 4 minutes), you will hear the click a long time before the cursor passes over the visual representation.

I eventually found that it was this which was causing my sync error.

For some reason, in Record mode the existing tracks were in a hurry to make themselves heard, although in Playback mode they behaved themselves just fine.

I tinkered with everything I could from the sound card drivers to the buffer settings but couldn’t crack it.

How did I solve the problem in the end ?

….by recording all my audio work on Audacity !

R
OP Offline
R
Hey guys,. I figured it out. DUHHHHHHHH!!!!. I found out there's a latency setting for the TASCAM. I don't know why, but it had changed. I went in and reset it and now it's fine. Thanks for all your comments. I learned a lot from the various exchanges.

Ranch

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,725
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197