Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Everything in this song file was written in BiaB 2017. I saved that file as a regular *.mgu and brought it over to RB. None of the synth settings were remembered, so I had to reconfigure them. I'd have to do that anyway I guess, since the tracks have to be converted from BiaB tracks to RB tracks, and then I have to assign each synth to a channel. So I did all that in RB, had it all set up and balanced where it was sounding just right. Then decided I'd give it a go and lay down a recording of it. First I saved it as a .SEQ file, though.

I know I can save a file as a WAV file, but I can't do that with this particular song because of a VSTi I'm using. It always resets to an instrument I can't use at the beginning of the song, so I have to manually reset it to the patch I want. I do this while the metronome is clicking down before the recording actually begins.

So because of this I'm hitting the Record button. It is configured to record all audio and midi tracks. I have one audio track -- Realdrums -- and the rest are MIDI tracks being played by the above mentioned VSTi plus the Coyote DXi. Everything sounds fine in my headphones, and at the end of the recording it asks me if I want to keep it (yes) and then if it's okay to lay down the recording on Track 10 (fine by me). A pair of tan stripes appear on Track 10, but there's nothing inside of them.

It's worth mentioning I guess that it took two attempts to get this far. The first time I did it, I answered the same questions, but nothing got laid down on Track 10 -- not even the tan stripes. So I tried again and at least got the stripes but that was it.

Anything obvious I might be doing wrong? Maybe third time's a charm?

Nope. Just tried it a third time and nothing.

Last edited by cooltouch; 11/20/17 01:44 PM.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
When you re recording and monitoring at the same time you are likely hearing the playback (not the recording).

Sounds like you may want to enable 'What You Hear' or 'Stereo Mix' in the windows mixer.

Remember, RB uses the system sound device, so your windows mixer settings may be in play.

Then it is a matter of selecting the correct Driver in RB, under Options-Prefs-Audio tab-Drivers button.

You need to find the magical mix of routing options that achieves the desired result, and this varies a lot between devices.
What's your interface?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Honestly, I didn't bother to check and see what it was I was listening to, but I've gotten bitten by the recording out vs. monitor out before with other software, so I know what you're getting at.

I just went to Control Panel/Sound/Recording tab and had a look. I know what it's defaulting to and that's the one I always use. But yeah, there's also a monitor selection, which I don't use.

When I'm setting up audio software to be used for the first time with a sound card, the very first thing I do is make sure the audio drivers are showing up in the software where they're supposed to, cuz if they aren't -- well, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

My audio is handled by an old but very excellent M-Audio Delta 66 24/96 sound card with OMNI I/O box. I always have the Delta's channels 1 and 2 selected for the ins and outs. I'm using the ASIO drivers as well. Earlier, I saved a song file to a WAV file in RB and that worked great. It's just when I've been using the Red Record button that I'm not getting anything. And, yes, I did indicate with the Red button's little drop-down that I wanted to record both MIDI and audio.

It's probably something really lame that I'm forgetting to do, but whatever it is, it's preventing my system from recording using the red button. I need to get to the bottom of this though because I plan to make fairly heavy use of RB as recording software.

RealBand
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Originally Posted By: cooltouch
I know I can save a file as a WAV file, but I can't do that with this particular song because of a VSTi I'm using. It always resets to an instrument I can't use at the beginning of the song, so I have to manually reset it to the patch I want. I do this while the metronome is clicking down before the recording actually begins.

I'd say you should deal with this issue first, and then you don't have to worry about figuring out how to record your stereo mix (which is tricky in modern versions of Windows).

It sounds like there's a patch change embedded in that track, and it'll be easy to get rid of it. Select the track, click on Window - New - Event List, and you'll see every MIDI event the track contains. Patch changes will be labelled "Program". If you delete whatever Program event is there, the patch changes you assign to the track should then stick.

You should then be able to render your song to WAV normally.

The "Record Audio" command is more for recording a microphone or instrument through the audio inputs on your audio interface, it's not supposed to record the tracks that are already in RealBand. That would be done with Edit - Track - Merge, but you'll still need to take care of that Program change I mentioned earlier.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

RealBand
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hey Kent, thanks for your response. And thanks for the explanation. That was helpful. Unfortunately it isn't a patch change. Turns out this "free" VSTi I picked up is actually a demo version and I suspect is somewhat crippled in that fashion. I've kind of given up on using it and am muddling along with the patches I have at my disposal. They'll do for now.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,459
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195