You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#438964 - 11/20/17 10:36 AM [RealBand] RB records tracks, but then the recording is empty
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Houston, Texas
Everything in this song file was written in BiaB 2017. I saved that file as a regular *.mgu and brought it over to RB. None of the synth settings were remembered, so I had to reconfigure them. I'd have to do that anyway I guess, since the tracks have to be converted from BiaB tracks to RB tracks, and then I have to assign each synth to a channel. So I did all that in RB, had it all set up and balanced where it was sounding just right. Then decided I'd give it a go and lay down a recording of it. First I saved it as a .SEQ file, though.

I know I can save a file as a WAV file, but I can't do that with this particular song because of a VSTi I'm using. It always resets to an instrument I can't use at the beginning of the song, so I have to manually reset it to the patch I want. I do this while the metronome is clicking down before the recording actually begins.

So because of this I'm hitting the Record button. It is configured to record all audio and midi tracks. I have one audio track -- Realdrums -- and the rest are MIDI tracks being played by the above mentioned VSTi plus the Coyote DXi. Everything sounds fine in my headphones, and at the end of the recording it asks me if I want to keep it (yes) and then if it's okay to lay down the recording on Track 10 (fine by me). A pair of tan stripes appear on Track 10, but there's nothing inside of them.

It's worth mentioning I guess that it took two attempts to get this far. The first time I did it, I answered the same questions, but nothing got laid down on Track 10 -- not even the tan stripes. So I tried again and at least got the stripes but that was it.

Anything obvious I might be doing wrong? Maybe third time's a charm?

Nope. Just tried it a third time and nothing.

Edited by cooltouch (11/20/17 03:44 PM)

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/michaelmcbroom/albums

#439001 - 11/20/17 03:42 PM [RealBand] Re: RB records tracks, but then the recording is empty [Re: cooltouch]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
When you re recording and monitoring at the same time you are likely hearing the playback (not the recording).

Sounds like you may want to enable 'What You Hear' or 'Stereo Mix' in the windows mixer.

Remember, RB uses the system sound device, so your windows mixer settings may be in play.

Then it is a matter of selecting the correct Driver in RB, under Options-Prefs-Audio tab-Drivers button.

You need to find the magical mix of routing options that achieves the desired result, and this varies a lot between devices.
What's your interface?

#439028 - 11/20/17 09:11 PM [RealBand] Re: RB records tracks, but then the recording is empty [Re: cooltouch]
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

Honestly, I didn't bother to check and see what it was I was listening to, but I've gotten bitten by the recording out vs. monitor out before with other software, so I know what you're getting at.

I just went to Control Panel/Sound/Recording tab and had a look. I know what it's defaulting to and that's the one I always use. But yeah, there's also a monitor selection, which I don't use.

When I'm setting up audio software to be used for the first time with a sound card, the very first thing I do is make sure the audio drivers are showing up in the software where they're supposed to, cuz if they aren't -- well, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

My audio is handled by an old but very excellent M-Audio Delta 66 24/96 sound card with OMNI I/O box. I always have the Delta's channels 1 and 2 selected for the ins and outs. I'm using the ASIO drivers as well. Earlier, I saved a song file to a WAV file in RB and that worked great. It's just when I've been using the Red Record button that I'm not getting anything. And, yes, I did indicate with the Red button's little drop-down that I wanted to record both MIDI and audio.

It's probably something really lame that I'm forgetting to do, but whatever it is, it's preventing my system from recording using the red button. I need to get to the bottom of this though because I plan to make fairly heavy use of RB as recording software.

My Music:

#439315 - 11/21/17 02:05 PM [RealBand] Re: RB records tracks, but then the recording is empty [Re: cooltouch]
Kent - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Originally Posted By: cooltouch
I know I can save a file as a WAV file, but I can't do that with this particular song because of a VSTi I'm using. It always resets to an instrument I can't use at the beginning of the song, so I have to manually reset it to the patch I want. I do this while the metronome is clicking down before the recording actually begins.

I'd say you should deal with this issue first, and then you don't have to worry about figuring out how to record your stereo mix (which is tricky in modern versions of Windows).

It sounds like there's a patch change embedded in that track, and it'll be easy to get rid of it. Select the track, click on Window - New - Event List, and you'll see every MIDI event the track contains. Patch changes will be labelled "Program". If you delete whatever Program event is there, the patch changes you assign to the track should then stick.

You should then be able to render your song to WAV normally.

The "Record Audio" command is more for recording a microphone or instrument through the audio inputs on your audio interface, it's not supposed to record the tracks that are already in RealBand. That would be done with Edit - Track - Merge, but you'll still need to take care of that Program change I mentioned earlier.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

#439399 - 11/21/17 08:48 PM [RealBand] Re: RB records tracks, but then the recording is empty [Re: cooltouch]
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

Hey Kent, thanks for your response. And thanks for the explanation. That was helpful. Unfortunately it isn't a patch change. Turns out this "free" VSTi I picked up is actually a demo version and I suspect is somewhat crippled in that fashion. I've kind of given up on using it and am muddling along with the patches I have at my disposal. They'll do for now.

My Music:

PG Music News
User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Forum Stats
28068 Members
57 Forums
54395 Topics
449587 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
KeithR, Andreu Casado, Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC

28067 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 160