Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#440447 - 11/25/17 04:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Jon Thomas Offline
Apprentice

I like it very much Floyd.
As someone said, the lack of chorus may seem odd at first, but it does add power to the storytelling element.
Great job. Wow.

#440707 - 11/26/17 06:36 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Did we just hear a lost Prine write?

Never noticed the lack of a chorus as the arrangement is perfect for the story and supporting imagery.

The build and variety of instruments is extremely effective and indicative of a heckuva mix.

The vocal was perfect and full of, as Janice said, “richness.”

Many singer songwriters would be delighted to have one or two tunes like this in their repertoire but, man, you are a cornucopia!

J&B

PS We used to talk to an elderly lady, Pearl, who much reminds us of your story.
J&B Website

#440863 - 11/26/17 05:44 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
A BIG WOOOOOOOOOW!!!! This is just great storytelling! I was first struck by the line David referenced. BUT, the whole song is so beautifully put together. Brilliant writing! The repetition of the verse structure as the story unfolds just tangles the listener into the story. Reminds me of something by Jerry Jeff or Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone. The arrangement is PERFECT! And the vocal is exactly the right tone for the story. In the LP days, this would be a first or last song on one side of the Best of Floyd Jane. Awesome Floyd!!! Take care. Greg

#441021 - 11/27/17 03:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: 44kfl]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: 44kfl

"the state of the world for a crutch"

that's a line that I wish I'd written

the entire song is a super write and shows great storytelling ability

I instantly fell in love with that acoustic bluegrass Doc soloist

easy flowing, takes you along gently painting images

makes you want to hear it again as soon as it ends

"I could've been rich if I wanted"

even if he could not have, his experiences made him

wonderful mix

as always, I enjoyed this very much

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. Can't think of anything I like to hear more than a writer like you say "...that's a line that I wish I'd written"... Really appreciate that... your stuff has been blowing me away...

#441031 - 11/27/17 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Ember - PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I think that this song is probably my new favourite from you. Victoria has a pretty high homeless population (perhaps because it is so temperate year round; some also choose it as a lifestyle), so this song hits pretty close to home and almost moved me to tears. There is so much that we will never understand that they go through on a daily basis, and I feel like this song gives us a small glimpse in to what it's like.

Thanks for making and sharing this song with us! <3

I appreciate that, Ember. Glad you liked the song. Indeed, there are far more (obvious) homeless these days. Far too many.

#441152 - 11/28/17 05:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: David Snyder]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
All the lines are great, but these are genius:

his hands were swollen and bleeding
his stories as raw as they come
his whole life a matter of waiting to hear
he traveled the world on a thumb

Nice!!!!

Great song, Floyd. Kinda reminds me of Mr. Bojangles.

I have a story kind of like this. The result of it was REM's third album. Maybe I will tell it later.

smile

Happy Thanksgiving.

Bojangles was a classic. Looking forward to hearing that REM story...

#441207 - 11/28/17 08:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
JoanneCooper Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Ah floyd. This is just lovely. Sell you a story for a cigarette. Great line.
Just Wonderful

#441236 - 11/28/17 10:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Great story over a top notch arrangement. The entire musical bed is outstanding. It really holds my interest. Enjoyed this a lot and for some reason the bass had my attention throughout the song. It really fit the vibe of the song. A good story of life, and a bit in the vein of "Wrong Mailbox"

Good song by every measure.

Charlie

#441348 - 11/28/17 04:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
This is great Floyd! What a story teller you are! Top level Singing/writing/production and I mean it!!! Veteran musicians have some of the best tales to tell! Thanks, Torrey

#441420 - 11/28/17 08:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Joe -PG Music]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi Floyd Jane, well done on this! I found the vocals quite captivating and an excellent groove with this. The Mandolin is a great touch too!

Thanks for having a listen, Joe.

#441682 - 11/30/17 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: RichMac]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Floyd.
Great this one.
Nice and relaxed.
A mixture of Tom T Hall and Jimmy Buffet to my ears.
Can relate to more of the song than I like to admit.
Sailing islands rum Hong Kong and more Oh dear. Cheers.

Thanks, Richard. Those are a couple of guys I have no problem with having a comparison... smile

#441730 - 11/30/17 11:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Great arrangement and mix. I appreciate you sharing the story behind the song. The song draws you in, the longer you listen the more you want to hear. Really like the fadeout.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#441945 - 12/01/17 03:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Al-David]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd,

What a great song! The simplicity of the backing tracks was great idea so as not to detract from fabulous lyric. By far the story telling in the lyric shines above all else.

Also, the way the backing tracks gentle layered up in about halfway through just added to the anticipation of the remainder of the song - compels the listener to pleasantly wait for the ending.

I could have heard Tom T. singing this back in '75 or '76. I'm quite comfortable with analogizing this to a Tom T. Hall effort. He's one of the very best story songwriters in country music history and this is right up there. It can be difficult to hold the listeners' attention without a chorus and a somewhat repetitive verse. But you threw all that out the window and stamped this with an indelible "can't wait to hear it again" mark.

I could ramble on more with seemingly unending praise, but I think you get the point that I believe this is a fabulous song on all accounts and I simply love it.

Best to you and yours.

Alan

Alan - thanks for all of that. The story song seems to have been lost over the last few years. I really appreciate the Tom T reference....

#442147 - 12/02/17 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
I love that story!
The song itself reminded me of Homeless Brother (at least I seem to remember that was the name of the song) by Don Mclean.
Top quality as usual!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#442262 - 12/03/17 04:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Rob4580]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Floyd you truly are a story telling in song.
Great lyrics and vocals.
Love your instrument choices.
Well told. Rob

Thanks, Rob. I see that you have another new one... will have a listen soon..

#442316 - 12/03/17 09:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Ok, I need to know...how many top line writers are on staff over at the group known as "Floyd Jane?"

I used to think you were but one person, however, as you (plural) have demonstrated, that is clearly NOT the case! It simply wouldn't be possible.

Sorry to point out the obvious.

#442433 - 12/03/17 06:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: PeterF]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

The best I´ve heard from
you so far without any doubt !
Love your singing and that
superb tune with those beautiful
chords !:))

Cheers
Dani

smile Thanks, Dani...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

A wonderful piece of storytelling.
The music sits perfectly behind the lyric with your trademark delivery.
Lovely mix and full of superb lines and touches.

Peter

Appreciate that, Peter...

#442637 - 12/04/17 02:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: MusicStudent]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool lyric Floyd. Vocal and backtrack was such a smooth blend. Just fit so tight with each other. So enjoyable. Guitar was very cool as well. Well done

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
You the man FJ.

Always appreciate you stopping by, Dan...

#442657 - 12/04/17 05:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Genius writing again from you Floyd.

This is magical, both in its sensational instrumentation, but even more so because of the sensational lyrics.

This is story telling - put to music - at its absolute best.

A real winner. Polished delivery. Class? No question at all.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#442917 - 12/05/17 08:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Samuel Davis Offline
Journeyman

Another great tune. I just love your songs. The story behind this one is really cool and the way you tell the story is great.

www.sammycountry.com

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Pro & MegaPAK RealCombos!

We've added MORE to the RealCombos included in the Pro & MegaPAK packages with the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Pro includes 300 RealTracks instruments in over 100 bands - that's 100+ more than previous years - listen to them here.

There are now over 500 RealTracks in 300 Bands in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 MegaPAK! Take a look at all the RealTracks & RealDrums in the MegaPAK here.

To receive the new version with these new RealCombos, upgrade during our special for as little as $59! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm.

Get ALL the Regular RealTracks & RealDrums when you upgrade to an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition!

Title Track Day, May 23, 2018!

Did you know... today is Title Track Day!

Which album do you think of on this special day? Better yet, have you created your own album and named it after a song?

Join the converation...

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends May 31st!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Forum Stats
27513 Members
50 Forums
51826 Topics
428210 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Aimini, Tanna Dietrich, Korle, markmarkmark, rocetka

27513 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 440
zedd 193