#441682 - 11/30/17 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: RichMac]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Floyd.
Great this one.
Nice and relaxed.
A mixture of Tom T Hall and Jimmy Buffet to my ears.
Can relate to more of the song than I like to admit.
Sailing islands rum Hong Kong and more Oh dear. Cheers.

Thanks, Richard. Those are a couple of guys I have no problem with having a comparison... smile

#441730 - 11/30/17 11:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Great arrangement and mix. I appreciate you sharing the story behind the song. The song draws you in, the longer you listen the more you want to hear. Really like the fadeout.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

++ Saving My Sanity One Song At A Time ++

#441945 - 12/01/17 03:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Al-David]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd,

What a great song! The simplicity of the backing tracks was great idea so as not to detract from fabulous lyric. By far the story telling in the lyric shines above all else.

Also, the way the backing tracks gentle layered up in about halfway through just added to the anticipation of the remainder of the song - compels the listener to pleasantly wait for the ending.

I could have heard Tom T. singing this back in '75 or '76. I'm quite comfortable with analogizing this to a Tom T. Hall effort. He's one of the very best story songwriters in country music history and this is right up there. It can be difficult to hold the listeners' attention without a chorus and a somewhat repetitive verse. But you threw all that out the window and stamped this with an indelible "can't wait to hear it again" mark.

I could ramble on more with seemingly unending praise, but I think you get the point that I believe this is a fabulous song on all accounts and I simply love it.

Best to you and yours.

Alan

Alan - thanks for all of that. The story song seems to have been lost over the last few years. I really appreciate the Tom T reference....

#442147 - 12/02/17 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
RnAM Online   content
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
I love that story!
The song itself reminded me of Homeless Brother (at least I seem to remember that was the name of the song) by Don Mclean.
Top quality as usual!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#442262 - 12/03/17 04:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Rob4580]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Floyd you truly are a story telling in song.
Great lyrics and vocals.
Love your instrument choices.
Well told. Rob

Thanks, Rob. I see that you have another new one... will have a listen soon..

#442316 - 12/03/17 09:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Ok, I need to know...how many top line writers are on staff over at the group known as "Floyd Jane?"

I used to think you were but one person, however, as you (plural) have demonstrated, that is clearly NOT the case! It simply wouldn't be possible.

Sorry to point out the obvious.

#442433 - 12/03/17 06:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: PeterF]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

The best I´ve heard from
you so far without any doubt !
Love your singing and that
superb tune with those beautiful
chords !:))

Cheers
Dani

smile Thanks, Dani...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

A wonderful piece of storytelling.
The music sits perfectly behind the lyric with your trademark delivery.
Lovely mix and full of superb lines and touches.

Peter

Appreciate that, Peter...

#442637 - 12/04/17 02:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: MusicStudent]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool lyric Floyd. Vocal and backtrack was such a smooth blend. Just fit so tight with each other. So enjoyable. Guitar was very cool as well. Well done

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
You the man FJ.

Always appreciate you stopping by, Dan...

#442657 - 12/04/17 05:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Genius writing again from you Floyd.

This is magical, both in its sensational instrumentation, but even more so because of the sensational lyrics.

This is story telling - put to music - at its absolute best.

A real winner. Polished delivery. Class? No question at all.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#442917 - 12/05/17 08:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Samuel Davis Offline
Apprentice

Another great tune. I just love your songs. The story behind this one is really cool and the way you tell the story is great.

www.sammycountry.com

#443008 - 12/06/17 08:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: animarorecords]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

A wonderful piece of storytelling.
The music sits perfectly behind the lyric with your trademark delivery.
Lovely mix and full of superb lines and touches.

Peter

Floyd,
I could quote all the praise of listeners so far- Peter sums up my thoughts well.
This is the best song I`ve heard about "bums" ( we called them tramps in the UK) since Ralph McTell`s Streets of London.
Going back for another liten to all that streetwise wisdom!

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Wasn't familiar with Ralph McTell, so went and had a listen... the internet is such an amazing thing...

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

There is a deep taste of the folk song in this tune.
I like your rock vocals very much, but this song is also very nice.
How to use RealTracks is really wonderful.
Particularly Mandolin, Soloist CountryAndy Ev 165.
And as always, your vocals are noteworthy.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - Thanks you very much...

#443099 - 12/06/17 03:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Janice & Bud]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jon Thomas
I like it very much Floyd.
As someone said, the lack of chorus may seem odd at first, but it does add power to the storytelling element.
Great job. Wow.

Thanks, Jon. Appreciate that. Just listened to your latest - a Wow right back at ya....

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Did we just hear a lost Prine write?

Never noticed the lack of a chorus as the arrangement is perfect for the story and supporting imagery.

The build and variety of instruments is extremely effective and indicative of a heckuva mix.

The vocal was perfect and full of, as Janice said, “richness.”

Many singer songwriters would be delighted to have one or two tunes like this in their repertoire but, man, you are a cornucopia!

J&B

PS We used to talk to an elderly lady, Pearl, who much reminds us of your story.

smile - I never thought of this as one of my "Prine inspired songs" (I've had many)... more a Jerry Jeff Walker thing, I think... Thanks for the nice review...

#443131 - 12/06/17 06:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Don't think I didn't notice that you "missed" answering my questions. wink

I'm on to you. I'm like the FBI meets Band In A Box. I'm the FBIAB?

You know how I feel about the song. LOVE IT!

#443278 - 12/07/17 07:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Greg Johnson]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
A BIG WOOOOOOOOOW!!!! This is just great storytelling! I was first struck by the line David referenced. BUT, the whole song is so beautifully put together. Brilliant writing! The repetition of the verse structure as the story unfolds just tangles the listener into the story. Reminds me of something by Jerry Jeff or Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone. The arrangement is PERFECT! And the vocal is exactly the right tone for the story. In the LP days, this would be a first or last song on one side of the Best of Floyd Jane. Awesome Floyd!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - thank you for such an awesome review. Warmed my heart... smile

#443298 - 12/07/17 08:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: JoanneCooper]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Ah floyd. This is just lovely. Sell you a story for a cigarette. Great line.
Just Wonderful

Thanks for stopping by, Joanne...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 3 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can update their version with the latest patch, Build 3. Download this patch here

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 3:

Added: Section Numbers supported. All section letter menus now include numbers 1 through 9 in addition to letters A through Z.
Fixed: Section letters in Notation Window were not being resized if the notation was zoomed in/out
Fixed: RealBand might freeze when generating audio harmonies
Fixed: Loading in a BB song (MGU/SGU) or generating realtracks could freeze up the program.
Fixed: Chords in Notation/LeadSheet on 1st beat of a bar were being drawn too close to bar lines.
Fixed: Support for XP and Vista.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_3

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 505 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can update their version with the latest patch - Build 505.

This patch can be downloaded here.

Summary of changes for Build 505:

Added: You can now put Section Numbers in your song. Previously you could only use letters A-Z, but now you can use 1-9 as well.
Added:You can now filter styles in the StylePicker for styles that contain Video RealTracks.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash with error "Procedure entry point MFTEnumEx could not be found in the Dynamic Link Library Mfplat.DLL" while starting up if using Windows Vista.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box would crash with error message "dwmapi.dll cannot be found" while starting up if using Windows XP.
Fixed: The Transcribe feature in the Audio Edit window was not always working.
Fixed: The Windows Audio Devices dialog might show garbage text for names of devices if not running Band-in-a-Box in English.
Fixed: There was no Quality selector in the Render to Audio File dialog if rendering MP3 on Windows 7 or earlier.
Fixed: There were visual artifacts in the leadsheet & notation windows when moving the cursor.
Fixed: Using the Transpose or stretching features in the Audio Edit window might cause an access violation if the audio track is mono.
Improved: Band-in-a-Box will start up faster.
Improved: Importing ABC Notation files has been improved.
Updated: Help file and manuals.
Updated: RealTracks Artist bio's.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#505

New! Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

NEW with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows... Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.
TIP: If you load one of the video RealTracks bands, you will have video RealTracks on 5 tracks, and you can make a video of 1-5 musicians!

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows packages during our December special.
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Holiday Special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: Video link - "Video RealTracks Sets 1-6 for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows"

Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)! Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qDFYZMjrzAI

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade, on sale until December 31st!

NEW! Xtra Styles PAK 4 - Available for both Windows and Mac!

We've just released Xtra Styles PAK 4 with over 150 new RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles! These new RealStyles will work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition.

To add to the excitement of this release, we're putting all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned with Band-in-a-Box® 2018, and is now built in to the program! Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app that was not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but now the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit Window!

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

RealBand® 2018 for Windows Build 2 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 users can download a small (free) patch update for their purchase!

Summary of patch update:
Access violation if clicking on Guitar Window or Big Piano when there isn't any notation window currently open.

http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_2

Forum Stats
26697 Members
50 Forums
48806 Topics
398844 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Phil Taylor, Poppins, Mannnolo, sebz77, KGU 2

26697 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 364