Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I’ll tell the Tracktion story to possibly give the Cakewalk owners some hope.

Tracktion was developed primarily by one developer through version 2 or so. Then Mackie bought it and bundled a pile of software with it, acted like they would push the software which they did for a short time then abandoned all development. Panic ensued in the rather small user base. Software went dark for several years. Original developer reappeared with a new team and it came back to life and is now at what amounts to version 8. It’s still my fave DAW and has led PRo Tools in some features by years. Still very inexpensive relatively speaking. Still confusing to people that can’t use a DAW without a fake mixing board on screen.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I read this news with some distress, being a Cakewalk user since the days of Pro Audio 8 (Win98 days) and I've played around with other Cakewalk products that would come bundled with sound cards and the like reaching all the way back to the good ol' DOS days.

There's one primary reason why I've stuck with Cakewalk all these years and it is because they've always included a Staff View in their products. I think on the staff when I write music. It's a big reason why I've stuck with BiaB for almost 20 years. A staff view. Pro Tools (ptui!) does not include a staff view in its product. So it is useless to me. Yes, AVID is the current publisher now for Sibelius, but Sibelius is more like pretty-looking music publishing software than software meant to get real sounds from. And it doesn't fit well with PT anyway.

I guess I'll continue to use Sonar until the bitter end. If I have to maintain an antiquated system just to keep Sonar going, I'll do so. Hopefully somebody will realize Gibson's folly and rescue Cakewalk from its predicament. What about an employee buy-out option? That's worked in other industries. It might in this case too.

Last edited by cooltouch; 11/22/17 08:33 PM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
matt

To the poster who said the BIAB files sound better in another DAW besides SONAR, well, no. There is something else at work.

Hi Matt what do you mean by this, As i have used Cakewalk way back to midi only.

I am giving my honest opinion I was on mixcraft last night again and it is awesome what you get included for a daw .

And the special price means I'm looking at the Cakewalk scenario as luck.

Made me try another daw.

As the meerkat says simple.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi beatmaster. I’m not disputing your good results but I would argue it’s not because you are playing .WAV files in another DAW. Any DAW playing .WAV files should sound exactly the same. In fact, if they don’t sound the same, something is very wrong.

So, since it sounds better to you in Mixcraft, there is another reason. It could be a difference in the default panning law, since SONAR has several choices. More likely you have some form of processing plugin set on in Mixcraft. Take a look for that. Or, on the flip side, maybe you had some plugin in SONAR that wasn’t helping.

Mixcraft is one of the few DAWs I haven’t used, so I’m glad you like it. Everyone has to choose a DAW based on features and user interface/workflow method. But not based on sound. Does that help?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Although I'm not a Cakewalk fan, I'm sad about this and I feel for you.

I still have an XP computer so that I can use Master Tracks Pro.

Microsoft bought Passport (the originators) so it could use its technology in Power Point. They sold the rights to Encore (notation) and MTPro (sequencer) to G-Vox.

G-Vox changed very little, they added long file names, more modern looking dialog boxes but introduced a number of bugs in it. All but a couple were eventually fixed.

They continued to develop Encore but did nothing for MTPro. Eventually one of the people in G-Vox bought MTPro and renamed his new company Passport with the intention of revising MTPro. That never happened.

I like MTPro because there is no Audio and thus a simpler interface with no sub or sub-sub menus. It's much faster to use and it also loads and saves fast so I spend more time on the musical instrument and less time on the computer.

Plus it's very powerful and has groove filters.

Then when I'm all done with the MIDI, if I want to add audio, I'll open the MIDI file in a DAW.

My oldest version of MTPro doesn't work in Win10 and it's the bug free version. The newest version barely works in Win10, certain features just don't work right, thus the XP computer.

MTPro started on the Motorola Mac and was upgraded to Intel/OSX - and no longer works. It was ported to the Atari first and then Windows. Now it's an orphan.

Cakewalk just got orphaned too. At least Cakewalk works on Win10 so you should be able to use it for a decade or more without worries.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I'm legitimately shocked to learn about this. While I'm not a Cakewalk enthusiast myself, clearly they have an extremely devoted user-base. This is will sadly be a big loss to many frown

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Some good news:

Cakewalk just posted that, if the servers are shut down, they would send the authorization codes to all registered users (so the program doesn’t revert to demo mode, or you can install it on another computer).

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Some good news:

Cakewalk just posted that, if the servers are shut down, they would send the authorization codes to all registered users (so the program doesn’t revert to demo mode, or you can install it on another computer).

That is very good news. Thanx for sharing.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
F.M.M. Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
yup good news for sure

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah, that is good news.

I'm waiting for a Cakewalk announcement where they say they're assuming control of the company once more independent of Gibson and will continue to produce award-winning products.

Hey, if Gibson is just shutting down CW that means it has no value to them. Possibly even negative value. So that means that the Cakewalk personnel should be able to take over without having to pay Gibson a dime. Right?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, here is some good news.

If you only had to go to the next to the last inner ring of hell in Mixers Inferno you could go with Pro Tools.

But if you really want to go into the innermost ring where the torture is the most severe, you could be forced to use Ableton Live.

I guess we should all be thankful that while most of our bodies are covered in severe burns, we aren't totally covered in burns.

That's what I have learned from all of this as I strive to be on the optimistic side.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And in a galaxy far away there are us Logic Pro X users who at the very least can rest assured Apple will not desert us. Excellent reviews and no copy protection. $199 forever. I’ve had several major upgrades and many minor ones over the five years and they are always free.

Yeah, I know it only runs on a Mac....... smile

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've been a Cakewalk user since version 3 and have upgraded every time a new version came out. I'm using Platinum today. I'm sure going to miss it if I ever have to give it up.

However, I'm thinking about learning something new. I bought a new Mackie mixer this past week and it came with a full blown version of Tracktion. This isn't a "Light" or stripped down edition. It's a full version. That being said, it is old - Tracktion 4.

I bought an audio interface 2 weeks ago, but returned it for a swap for the mixer. It came with a light version of Cubase. I had a quick look and really didn't care for it. Now this isn't fair to the software because I really did nothing in it during the 20 minutes I was looking at it.

But seeing as both of them didn't cost me a dime, and the thought that I may have to look for a new DAW further on down the line, this may be a good excuse to start learning something other than Sonar.

I'm not in a panic about losing Sonar. I just think I shouldn't remain being one dimensional.

Bobby
Bobby

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've just been sampling demos of several competing DAWs. So far I'm not finding what I need. Haven't looked at Cubase yet.

Off-Topic
F.M.M. Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm trying a couple as well i have reason 10 going to try Cubase studio 1 3 is pretty good so far eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Cubase "Lite" I guess it was came with a piece of hardware I bought. After being put through the ringer just getting my copy validated so I could even look at it, I found it to be rather dry and clinical. And, my memory is not 100% here, but I don't think it has a staff view. Which is enough to kill it for me.

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
I can feel your pain from trying to get Cubase validated. They sure gave me the runaround when getting my copy authorized.

Bobby

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
What I see in this thread with a few exceptions is old guys. I am one too. We're not the demographic music companies care about. Sucks I know, one day we're the masters of the universe and the next we're tossed aside like yesterdays laundry, sniff, sniff. Excuse me...

Ok, that's over.

Bottom line is this guys. If CW was making Gibson money this wouldn't have happened.

We all know the music biz has dramatically shifted in the last 20 years and it's accelerating. Don't believe me? Look at the description of one of the HipHop styles. It says "Old School Hip Hop". Old School Hip Hop!? To us it was yesterday and it still sucks as bad now as it did then but in reality it began in the 80's. There are a few hiphop billionaires now. Can anybody in this thread name them? More to the point can anybody in this thread name a few of their greatest hits?

The change is slow and inexorable, we don't notice it because it's going on in the background of our lives sort of like the frog in the pot. The heat is up and that frog doesn't have much time left.

Gibson is hurting all over because guitar sales have been tanking. Modern pop music doesn't use guitars or much keyboards either for that matter. Yes there are exceptions but overall sales are way down. And our "old guy" demographic isn't enough to support these companies any more.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Cubase has perhaps the best staff view and MIDI handling of any DAW. I don't know if that includes their 'lite' version, though.

While I have no knowledge of Gibson other than their ownership of Cakewalk (the SONAR company), I know that Gibson stepped in to buy Cakewalk from Roland even when Cakewalk was losing money. Thus, in a way, Gibson gave us more time before Cakewalk would have gone under anyway. My problem is only with how the recent announcement was made.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Bob, I resemble those remarks!

All too true, I'm afraid. In fact, when I look at a modern pop "star," I see a dancer whose primary task is to look sexy on stage. Music and musicianship are secondary or even tertiary. You know, historically, I've never been much of a fan of Country and Western music. But I find myself gravitating toward it now because musicianship is still on display, for the most part, with C&W performers and their music. I suppose the fact that modern C&W sounds a whole lot more like country rock or even all-out rock has probably helped some in that regard.

Anyway, what I see happening in the music industry is a decline overall in musicianship. It used to be something to make fun of, with boy bands and hip hop and all, but these trends are persisting -- much longer than I ever thought they would.

So I wonder now if the REAL musicians where "music" is being made are not unlike little gnomes hidden away in the dark labyrinths of modern music production facilities, and it is for this select few that full-featured music production software is even being put to use. There's no wonder the industry is hurting. And there's no wonder a company like Gibson is hurting. If it weren't for amateurs and hobbyists who don't mind paying dizzying amounts for their guitars, Gibson would have probably gone belly up years ago.

Take me, for instance. Until a couple years ago, it had been some 45 years since I'd owned a Les Paul (I bought a first year of reissue LP Custom back in 1968. I was sixteen.) I sold in in 1972 -- I always had a love/hate relationship with that guitar: love because of its sound, but hate because of its non-existent frets. I've owned a few Gibsons since then, but never a genuine traditional-looking Les Paul until recently. A couple years ago, I had some spending money burning a hole in my pocket and I was determined to buy a nice LP. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on one at Guitar Center, but of all places I found one that looked like it had never been played in a pawn shop I drop in on occasion, in which I had found various cool items in the past. First thing I noticed when I walked in was an LP Traditional hanging on the wall. I walked out with it for $1300 -- about $700 less than what Guitar Center was asking for a new one.

Me, I usually can't afford Gibson prices, so I have to scrounge for deals on used Gibson gear, which doesn't help Gibson at all. The only new Gibson I bought in recent memory was a Les Paul Special (double cutaway, two P90 single coils) at the now defunct Mars Music some 17 years ago. Yeah, it's a Les Paul, but not a traditional one like the Standards and Customs.

Gibson's prices continue to skyrocket. I just visited their website and they now have a few models with a $12,000 list price. Geez. That's some serious money and I'll bet they don't sell very many of 'em. Sure, Gibson still tries to compete in the cheaper price ranges, but to me their cheaper offerings look like dogs. I'd rather buy a nice Ibanez (I like Ibanez) and get a lot more guitar for the same amount of money. Hey, I can buy an eight-string Ibanez for about $400. That's a heck of a deal, ask me.

So, where does it all end? I dunno. I even have a hard time understanding today's popular music. So I'm definitely not writing it. I reckon I'll just stick with what I know how to do, using the software I know how to use (like BiaB and Sonar) and if folks like it, well great. And if they don't, well we all have our own tastes. I can't please everybody, so I may as well please myself and hope for the best.

Last edited by cooltouch; 11/26/17 09:21 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195