Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
floyd jane #440447 11/25/17 02:54 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I like it very much Floyd.
As someone said, the lack of chorus may seem odd at first, but it does add power to the storytelling element.
Great job. Wow.

floyd jane #440707 11/26/17 04:36 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Did we just hear a lost Prine write?

Never noticed the lack of a chorus as the arrangement is perfect for the story and supporting imagery.

The build and variety of instruments is extremely effective and indicative of a heckuva mix.

The vocal was perfect and full of, as Janice said, “richness.”

Many singer songwriters would be delighted to have one or two tunes like this in their repertoire but, man, you are a cornucopia!

J&B

PS We used to talk to an elderly lady, Pearl, who much reminds us of your story.

floyd jane #440863 11/26/17 03:44 PM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
A BIG WOOOOOOOOOW!!!! This is just great storytelling! I was first struck by the line David referenced. BUT, the whole song is so beautifully put together. Brilliant writing! The repetition of the verse structure as the story unfolds just tangles the listener into the story. Reminds me of something by Jerry Jeff or Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone. The arrangement is PERFECT! And the vocal is exactly the right tone for the story. In the LP days, this would be a first or last song on one side of the Best of Floyd Jane. Awesome Floyd!!! Take care. Greg

44kfl #441021 11/27/17 01:13 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 44kfl

"the state of the world for a crutch"

that's a line that I wish I'd written

the entire song is a super write and shows great storytelling ability

I instantly fell in love with that acoustic bluegrass Doc soloist

easy flowing, takes you along gently painting images

makes you want to hear it again as soon as it ends

"I could've been rich if I wanted"

even if he could not have, his experiences made him

wonderful mix

as always, I enjoyed this very much

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. Can't think of anything I like to hear more than a writer like you say "...that's a line that I wish I'd written"... Really appreciate that... your stuff has been blowing me away...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
I think that this song is probably my new favourite from you. Victoria has a pretty high homeless population (perhaps because it is so temperate year round; some also choose it as a lifestyle), so this song hits pretty close to home and almost moved me to tears. There is so much that we will never understand that they go through on a daily basis, and I feel like this song gives us a small glimpse in to what it's like.

Thanks for making and sharing this song with us! <3

I appreciate that, Ember. Glad you liked the song. Indeed, there are far more (obvious) homeless these days. Far too many.

David Snyder #441152 11/28/17 03:13 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
All the lines are great, but these are genius:

his hands were swollen and bleeding
his stories as raw as they come
his whole life a matter of waiting to hear
he traveled the world on a thumb

Nice!!!!

Great song, Floyd. Kinda reminds me of Mr. Bojangles.

I have a story kind of like this. The result of it was REM's third album. Maybe I will tell it later.

smile

Happy Thanksgiving.

Bojangles was a classic. Looking forward to hearing that REM story...

floyd jane #441207 11/28/17 06:18 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ah floyd. This is just lovely. Sell you a story for a cigarette. Great line.
Just Wonderful

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
floyd jane #441236 11/28/17 08:13 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Great story over a top notch arrangement. The entire musical bed is outstanding. It really holds my interest. Enjoyed this a lot and for some reason the bass had my attention throughout the song. It really fit the vibe of the song. A good story of life, and a bit in the vein of "Wrong Mailbox"

Good song by every measure.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
floyd jane #441348 11/28/17 02:00 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is great Floyd! What a story teller you are! Top level Singing/writing/production and I mean it!!! Veteran musicians have some of the best tales to tell! Thanks, Torrey

Joe -PG Music #441420 11/28/17 06:25 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi Floyd Jane, well done on this! I found the vocals quite captivating and an excellent groove with this. The Mandolin is a great touch too!

Thanks for having a listen, Joe.

RichMac #441682 11/30/17 04:59 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Floyd.
Great this one.
Nice and relaxed.
A mixture of Tom T Hall and Jimmy Buffet to my ears.
Can relate to more of the song than I like to admit.
Sailing islands rum Hong Kong and more Oh dear. Cheers.

Thanks, Richard. Those are a couple of guys I have no problem with having a comparison... smile

floyd jane #441730 11/30/17 09:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great arrangement and mix. I appreciate you sharing the story behind the song. The song draws you in, the longer you listen the more you want to hear. Really like the fadeout.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Al-David #441945 12/01/17 01:55 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd,

What a great song! The simplicity of the backing tracks was great idea so as not to detract from fabulous lyric. By far the story telling in the lyric shines above all else.

Also, the way the backing tracks gentle layered up in about halfway through just added to the anticipation of the remainder of the song - compels the listener to pleasantly wait for the ending.

I could have heard Tom T. singing this back in '75 or '76. I'm quite comfortable with analogizing this to a Tom T. Hall effort. He's one of the very best story songwriters in country music history and this is right up there. It can be difficult to hold the listeners' attention without a chorus and a somewhat repetitive verse. But you threw all that out the window and stamped this with an indelible "can't wait to hear it again" mark.

I could ramble on more with seemingly unending praise, but I think you get the point that I believe this is a fabulous song on all accounts and I simply love it.

Best to you and yours.

Alan

Alan - thanks for all of that. The story song seems to have been lost over the last few years. I really appreciate the Tom T reference....

floyd jane #442147 12/02/17 12:04 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love that story!
The song itself reminded me of Homeless Brother (at least I seem to remember that was the name of the song) by Don Mclean.
Top quality as usual!

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

Rob4580 #442262 12/03/17 02:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Floyd you truly are a story telling in song.
Great lyrics and vocals.
Love your instrument choices.
Well told. Rob

Thanks, Rob. I see that you have another new one... will have a listen soon..

floyd jane #442316 12/03/17 07:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, I need to know...how many top line writers are on staff over at the group known as "Floyd Jane?"

I used to think you were but one person, however, as you (plural) have demonstrated, that is clearly NOT the case! It simply wouldn't be possible.

Sorry to point out the obvious.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
PeterF #442433 12/03/17 04:02 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

The best I´ve heard from
you so far without any doubt !
Love your singing and that
superb tune with those beautiful
chords !:))

Cheers
Dani

smile Thanks, Dani...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

A wonderful piece of storytelling.
The music sits perfectly behind the lyric with your trademark delivery.
Lovely mix and full of superb lines and touches.

Peter

Appreciate that, Peter...

DrDan #442637 12/04/17 12:22 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool lyric Floyd. Vocal and backtrack was such a smooth blend. Just fit so tight with each other. So enjoyable. Guitar was very cool as well. Well done

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
You the man FJ.

Always appreciate you stopping by, Dan...

floyd jane #442657 12/04/17 03:42 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Genius writing again from you Floyd.

This is magical, both in its sensational instrumentation, but even more so because of the sensational lyrics.

This is story telling - put to music - at its absolute best.

A real winner. Polished delivery. Class? No question at all.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, SynthogyIvory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer ActiveMonitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
floyd jane #442917 12/05/17 06:34 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Another great tune. I just love your songs. The story behind this one is really cool and the way you tell the story is great.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,346
Members38,410
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213