You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#437525 - 11/11/17 10:15 AM [Beginners Forum] Easiest way to copy rhythm part in song
Andyman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
Even though I use BIAB quite often to help me compose songs, I'm still quite a beginner when it comes to arranging a song in BIAB, as I mainly use Audacity to do the actual arranging after I've imported each instruments to my project from the rendered wav files, which involves a certain amount of copy and pasting.

When BIAB plays the song three times, the default is set to 'beef up' the rhythm the second time through.
I'm currently working on a new song where I particularly like the 'beefed up' rhythm in the middle, and I would like to use it for the whole song.
Can anyone tell me an easy way to get BIAB to repeat this 'beefed up' rhythm all three times in BIAB ?

#437528 - 11/11/17 11:17 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Easiest way to copy rhythm part in song [Re: Andyman]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
The 'beefed up' movement that you are referring to comes from part markers. It's worth reading about this in the Help file.

If you click on a bar number, the bar number will first become enclosed in a blue box, a second click will make the box green and a third click will remove the green box that encloses the bar number. These blue and green boxes are part markers and they control the movement of the backing.

Blue part markers tell BIAB to generate less movement in the backing. Green part markers tell BIAB to generate more movement.

For you to have the 'beefed up' sound, click on the "1" for bar 1 and then click again until it becomes green. Now generate your song.

Regards,
Noel

#437533 - 11/11/17 11:54 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Easiest way to copy rhythm part in song [Re: Andyman]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
In addition, the default is to use the sound of that B (green) part marker during the Middle choruses. If all your part markers are green, you will lose the difference (and some good fills leading back to Blue part markers).
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#437785 - 11/13/17 05:18 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Easiest way to copy rhythm part in song [Re: Andyman]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

first thing I do is to UNFOLD the song into one chorus.

That makes it easier to see and alter the song structure including the color of the part markers.

Yes.... the green ones have more "beef". I like to use them for verse chorus energy levels. I tend to keep verses on blue and choruses on green.

There's also reddish and brown markers too. depends on the style you picked. I find those are generally worthless to my style of writing.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#437803 - 11/13/17 07:50 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Easiest way to copy rhythm part in song [Re: Andyman]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Quote:
There's also reddish and brown markers too. depends on the style you picked. I find those are generally worthless to my style of writing.

The other colored markers are for multi-styles, which ave 4, 6, 8, or more substyles. There aren't many, but PGMusic has offered several multi-styles to use.

While they may not fit your bill, they do offer value in offering more variations. But better than selecting one of the existing multi-syltes, you can easily create one on the fly.

Rather than switch styles using the F5 key, say to go from straight feel style to a swing style, just right click on the bar where you want the new style, and select "define C/D". Then, instead of using F5 to switch between two styles (and only use part markers A and B), you can define C/D as the new style and then you can visually see where the different styles are on the chord grid. This way you switch styles by using part markers.

See the instructions at around page 101 in the PDF user manual.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#439324 - 11/21/17 02:40 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Easiest way to copy rhythm part in song [Re: Andyman]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Matt, Herb & John,

All excellent points. Like Herb, the first thing I do is unfold the WIP for the very reason he mentioned. And i really enjoy those lead-ins in green to transition back to the blue, as matt mentioned.

And John, I find those additional styles, in colors other than blue and green, a bit cumbersome at times. Choosing new styles involves a lot of trial and error to make it compatible with the blue and green sections. I'm referring to a totally different but compatible style - not just blue to green and opposite. Am I overlooking something?

Best to all of you,

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#439326 - 11/21/17 02:42 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Easiest way to copy rhythm part in song [Re: Andyman]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Matt, Herb & John,

All excellent points. Like Herb, the first thing I do is unfold the WIP for the very reason he mentioned. And I really enjoy those lead-ins in green to transition back to the blue, as matt mentioned.

And John, I find those additional styles, in colors other than blue and green, a bit cumbersome at times. Choosing new styles involves a lot of trial and error to make it compatible with the blue and green sections. I'm referring to a totally different but compatible style - not just blue to green and opposite. Am I overlooking something?

Best to all of you,

Alan

Sorry about the double post; but when I try to delete the second one, it deletes both of them. ???

Edited by Al-David (11/21/17 02:42 PM)

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#441011 - 11/27/17 02:43 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Easiest way to copy rhythm part in song [Re: Andyman]
Andyman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
Thank you everyone for your very helpful responses.

I'm aware that I really should spend the time to read through the documentation properly so that I can better understand how to get the best from BIAB, but I'm sure that we must all experience those rare magical days when we're inspired to create a song and just want to get to work before we're distracted by something or someone, or have a limited amount of spare time available in which to capture it ?

That's where this forum and the users who contribute to it, are a great help.
And yes, there are occasions when I might like to start with a 'beefed up' rhythm for the whole song, and then make adjustments to the arrangement at a later stage.

#441569 - 11/29/17 04:38 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: Easiest way to copy rhythm part in song [Re: Andyman]
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA
As you see there are lots of ways to control the substyles.

Take a look at the menu that you get when you click "Song settings."

"Vary style in middle choruses" is what causes the variations you mentioned in your first post.

Try unchecking it and see what you get.

Attachments
Settings.JPG

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Resource - Individual New Features Videos

The December release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows added 50+ new features and enhancements, Video RealTracks, 202 new RealTracks, and more!

Here is a summary of the videos created to highlight the new additions and features:
(click on the title to play the video)

- Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes!
- Complete New Features Video
- 2018 Audio Chord Wizard
- Vocal Oohs and Aahs
- Video RealTracks
- 202 NEW RealTracks
- 40 Bonus RealTracks in the 2018 49-PAK

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 520 Available!

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows users can download the latest free patch update, Build 250, here.

Summary of changes for Build 520 since 519 (July 17 2018):
Added: Save As style feature has support for MIDI velocity changes if volumes aren’t 90 on mixer when saved.
Added: Support for MIDI velocity changes in styles. Use the Misc-More dialog in StyleMaker to set velocity changes in MIDI styles.
Fixed: [Style Memos etc] button was not visible in the Style Editor -> Misc dialog.
Fixed: Bar lines would not display properly in the Audio Edit window if launching through the menu item "Audio Chord Wizard (Audio Edit)".
Fixed: Hitting the Return key while in the Audio Edit window might trigger Loop Screen mode.
Updated: PDF Manual and Help.

User Blog - Recording and Processing Vocals Using RealBand...

Joanne Cooper's latest blog post is a "start to finish" of how she records and processes vocals for her songs using her three "go-to" programs: RealBand, Melodyne, and Nectar from Izotope (with a little help from Band-in-a-Box...)!

Check out this blog post here.

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Musician Brent Mason in the Studio Recording RealTracks!

Before leaving Nashville, Tobin caught up with Brent Mason recording some future RealTracks in the studio.

We can't wait to hear them!

Video - Adding RealTracks to Your Band-in-a-Box® Song

There are 300 RealTracks Sets available (over 2,500 RealTracks!), and here at PG Music we have this to say about them: You'll want to use RealTracks in all of your projects... and you can!

But what if you're not sure how to add them to your Band-in-a-Box® song? We have a video for that! Click here to watch...

Forum Stats
27719 Members
50 Forums
52621 Topics
436186 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Biazine, walletss, sosa, LaurieS, jigelaz

27719 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
David Snyder 167
Al-David 144