You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#443162 - 12/06/17 09:33 PM [RealBand] Adding instruments to pre-existing recording?
Funkifized Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lowell, MA
I've got RealBand 2015. I'm curious if I can load a stereo recording into RB and add horns, strings, keyboards, etc., later. If I make a recording with my band, can I load it into RB, and have it sync up the measures, allowing me to write horn or keyboard MIDI parts to add to the recording?

#443170 - 12/06/17 10:58 PM [RealBand] Re: Adding instruments to pre-existing recording? [Re: Funkifized]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Yes you can.

A number of members on here have done this very successfully.

I'm sure someone with more experience in this area than I have will come along soon. Until then, though, this is how I'd go about it...

1. Open the audio file you want to add instruments too using Audio Chord Wizard.

2. Set bar 1.

3. Play the song through and use F8 to mark beat 1 in each bar.

This is the important bit. Locating the first beat of each bar with F8 will create a tempo map. This tempo map is what will allows tracks that are generated from Realtracks to align with your band's audio.

4. Once complete, a chord chart will also be created from the audio.

5. Click "Send to RB"

6. Go to the chord chart and adjust any chords that may have been interpreted wrongly.

7. Play around with generating tracks.

To generate tracks, click on a blank track, use CTRL+A to select the track, select the Realtrack that you'd like to generate and generate it.

Regards,
Noel

#443487 - 12/07/17 11:09 PM [RealBand] Re: Adding instruments to pre-existing recording? [Re: Noel96]
Funkifized Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lowell, MA
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm not really looking to add a Real Track, though. I'd like to add my own horn parts, which seems to be best done by entering my own MIDI track notes, correct?

#443548 - 12/08/17 08:24 AM [RealBand] Re: Adding instruments to pre-existing recording? [Re: Funkifized]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
You need to run it through the ACW first so that you can 1) get the chord progression (should you want to use some automated creation features, such as RealTracks) and 2) to get the tempo map so that any MIDI you add will line up properly with the audio. But once you've done that, you can add any additional audio or MIDI tracks you want to a maximum of 48 tracks.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#443805 - 12/09/17 09:51 AM [RealBand] Re: Adding instruments to pre-existing recording? [Re: Funkifized]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
This is old, (back when Audio Chord Wizard first came out), but it may help explain ..

http://www.masteringmatters.com/stuff/ACW_Tempo_Map_creation.avi

Shows how to open the ACW and use it to set Tempo/Chords.
Once you have that you can add whatever you want.

If you don't need Tempo/Chords, you can simply Import the file to RB and record more tacks in free time, which sounds like it may work just as well for you if you are going to do all the additional tracks 'live'.

However, the Bar line markers at the top won't line up, which can be handy when you get to any editing or Punch-In needs.
So I usually run it thru ACW anyway just to get everything to look right and line up while I work on the project.

#443895 - 12/09/17 07:23 PM [RealBand] Re: Adding instruments to pre-existing recording? [Re: Funkifized]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Since you say you will be playing live the additional instruments rather than adding Midi or Realtracks its much faster and easier to do than using the Audio Chord Wizard.

Simply make a multitrack recording with a click track. (a click track is not absolutely necessary, but makes recording significantly more accurate and easy.

The steps:

Import your first audio track. Or, record your first audio track.

Create a click track if its pre-recorded material (Rt click on the audio track and select Click Track. This will allow you to manually count the beats or bars of your audio recording. If done accurately, you can add Real Drums. If you end up wanting to add RealTracks, Supermidi or Midi, You will need to either manually enter a chord chart or as suggested utilize the Audio Chord Wizard.

Record a click track if you begin with a live recording. This is easily done in Rb by generating a click track at the desired tempo with the metronome. It does not have to be rendered with the song.

Record your additional individual real instruments or the output of your midi device as you play to the click track.

Everything will sync just fine -

Export your song

Edited by Charlie Fogle (12/09/17 07:26 PM)

PG Music News
Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
27832 Members
51 Forums
53005 Topics
439931 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Alan Herring, boblev, JohnMaxwell, yeto, Damian Lluch

27831 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 149