#441682 - 11/30/17 06:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: RichMac]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Floyd.
Great this one.
Nice and relaxed.
A mixture of Tom T Hall and Jimmy Buffet to my ears.
Can relate to more of the song than I like to admit.
Sailing islands rum Hong Kong and more Oh dear. Cheers.

Thanks, Richard. Those are a couple of guys I have no problem with having a comparison... smile

#441730 - 11/30/17 11:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Jim Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Great arrangement and mix. I appreciate you sharing the story behind the song. The song draws you in, the longer you listen the more you want to hear. Really like the fadeout.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

++ Saving My Sanity One Song At A Time ++

#441945 - 12/01/17 03:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Al-David]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Floyd,

What a great song! The simplicity of the backing tracks was great idea so as not to detract from fabulous lyric. By far the story telling in the lyric shines above all else.

Also, the way the backing tracks gentle layered up in about halfway through just added to the anticipation of the remainder of the song - compels the listener to pleasantly wait for the ending.

I could have heard Tom T. singing this back in '75 or '76. I'm quite comfortable with analogizing this to a Tom T. Hall effort. He's one of the very best story songwriters in country music history and this is right up there. It can be difficult to hold the listeners' attention without a chorus and a somewhat repetitive verse. But you threw all that out the window and stamped this with an indelible "can't wait to hear it again" mark.

I could ramble on more with seemingly unending praise, but I think you get the point that I believe this is a fabulous song on all accounts and I simply love it.

Best to you and yours.

Alan

Alan - thanks for all of that. The story song seems to have been lost over the last few years. I really appreciate the Tom T reference....

#442147 - 12/02/17 02:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
I love that story!
The song itself reminded me of Homeless Brother (at least I seem to remember that was the name of the song) by Don Mclean.
Top quality as usual!

Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#442262 - 12/03/17 04:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Rob4580]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Floyd you truly are a story telling in song.
Great lyrics and vocals.
Love your instrument choices.
Well told. Rob

Thanks, Rob. I see that you have another new one... will have a listen soon..

#442316 - 12/03/17 09:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Ok, I need to know...how many top line writers are on staff over at the group known as "Floyd Jane?"

I used to think you were but one person, however, as you (plural) have demonstrated, that is clearly NOT the case! It simply wouldn't be possible.

Sorry to point out the obvious.

#442433 - 12/03/17 06:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: PeterF]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd !

The best I´ve heard from
you so far without any doubt !
Love your singing and that
superb tune with those beautiful
chords !:))

Cheers
Dani

smile Thanks, Dani...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

A wonderful piece of storytelling.
The music sits perfectly behind the lyric with your trademark delivery.
Lovely mix and full of superb lines and touches.

Peter

Appreciate that, Peter...

#442637 - 12/04/17 02:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: MusicStudent]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool lyric Floyd. Vocal and backtrack was such a smooth blend. Just fit so tight with each other. So enjoyable. Guitar was very cool as well. Well done

Thanks, Scott...

Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
You the man FJ.

Always appreciate you stopping by, Dan...

#442657 - 12/04/17 05:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Genius writing again from you Floyd.

This is magical, both in its sensational instrumentation, but even more so because of the sensational lyrics.

This is story telling - put to music - at its absolute best.

A real winner. Polished delivery. Class? No question at all.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#442917 - 12/05/17 08:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
Samuel Davis Offline
Apprentice

Another great tune. I just love your songs. The story behind this one is really cool and the way you tell the story is great.

www.sammycountry.com

#443008 - 12/06/17 08:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: animarorecords]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

A wonderful piece of storytelling.
The music sits perfectly behind the lyric with your trademark delivery.
Lovely mix and full of superb lines and touches.

Peter

Floyd,
I could quote all the praise of listeners so far- Peter sums up my thoughts well.
This is the best song I`ve heard about "bums" ( we called them tramps in the UK) since Ralph McTell`s Streets of London.
Going back for another liten to all that streetwise wisdom!

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Wasn't familiar with Ralph McTell, so went and had a listen... the internet is such an amazing thing...

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

There is a deep taste of the folk song in this tune.
I like your rock vocals very much, but this song is also very nice.
How to use RealTracks is really wonderful.
Particularly Mandolin, Soloist CountryAndy Ev 165.
And as always, your vocals are noteworthy.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - Thanks you very much...

#443099 - 12/06/17 03:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Janice & Bud]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jon Thomas
I like it very much Floyd.
As someone said, the lack of chorus may seem odd at first, but it does add power to the storytelling element.
Great job. Wow.

Thanks, Jon. Appreciate that. Just listened to your latest - a Wow right back at ya....

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Did we just hear a lost Prine write?

Never noticed the lack of a chorus as the arrangement is perfect for the story and supporting imagery.

The build and variety of instruments is extremely effective and indicative of a heckuva mix.

The vocal was perfect and full of, as Janice said, “richness.”

Many singer songwriters would be delighted to have one or two tunes like this in their repertoire but, man, you are a cornucopia!

J&B

PS We used to talk to an elderly lady, Pearl, who much reminds us of your story.

smile - I never thought of this as one of my "Prine inspired songs" (I've had many)... more a Jerry Jeff Walker thing, I think... Thanks for the nice review...

#443131 - 12/06/17 06:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: floyd jane]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
Don't think I didn't notice that you "missed" answering my questions. wink

I'm on to you. I'm like the FBI meets Band In A Box. I'm the FBIAB?

You know how I feel about the song. LOVE IT!

#443278 - 12/07/17 07:51 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: Greg Johnson]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
A BIG WOOOOOOOOOW!!!! This is just great storytelling! I was first struck by the line David referenced. BUT, the whole song is so beautifully put together. Brilliant writing! The repetition of the verse structure as the story unfolds just tangles the listener into the story. Reminds me of something by Jerry Jeff or Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone. The arrangement is PERFECT! And the vocal is exactly the right tone for the story. In the LP days, this would be a first or last song on one side of the Best of Floyd Jane. Awesome Floyd!!! Take care. Greg

Greg - thank you for such an awesome review. Warmed my heart... smile

#443298 - 12/07/17 08:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Bum [Re: JoanneCooper]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Ah floyd. This is just lovely. Sell you a story for a cigarette. Great line.
Just Wonderful

Thanks for stopping by, Joanne...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows is a HIT!

Since the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, we've received some great feedback!

"Oh wow. [The Audio Chord Wizard] has got to be the coolest enhancement to 2018 Band-in-a-Box. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!"
"2018 is a great release in so many ways!"
"Nice work, as usual!!"
"Luvin' it so far!"
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely 'must have'!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Every one of these tracks is phenomenal!"
"You guys just keep blowing us away."
"This is an amazing product. I tip my hat and thank you immensely."
"Awesome job once again!"
"What an unexpected treat!"
"What a fantastic idea PG music! I love to know who specifically thought of this idea. What an unexpected treat!!"
"Video set number three with Oliver Gannon is phenomenal just by itself! I've been asking for additional instruction from him for sometime And here it is! Plus it looks like there's something for everyone. You really out did yourself on this one PG Music - way to go!"
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid this could be!"
"Come on, whats not to like about this"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"I know what I'm getting for Christmas!"
"What a release!!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"it's educational utility and potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me champing at the bit!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"Amazing!"

Upgrade your Band-in-a-Box® to version 2018 during our special for great savings & Bonus PAKs! www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video

Here's a video showing you the different ways you can use the Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks, new with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

Video link - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, now with Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks!

Plus, here are two audio demos, the full versions of two of the songs that appear in this video:

http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_LAZYDAY_full_demo.m4a
http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/DownByTheSalleyGardens_with_VocalOohsAahs.m4a

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 Build 506 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest Build 506 at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#506

Summary of Changes since 2018 Build 205:
Added: "Export Song as Audio File..." menu item has been added to the Audio menu.
Added: BB2018 tutorials folder.
Added: New styles (STY files) for many of the new RealTracks in Sets 278-300 and MIDI SuperTracks sets 25-27.
Added: StylePicker User Categories updated for Xtra Styles PAK 4.
Updated: Styles database
Updated: Various improvements (including Db offset adjustments) to many of the new STY files and .SGU demos included with RealTracks Sets 278-300.
Fixed: "K3" did not work in the chord sheet for copying 3 bars (8 bars would be copied instead).
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box always opens with a maximized window briefly before resizing to the user's saved size.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box will not open using the proper window size if the Mixer window was open while exiting.
Fixed: Deleting a region of chords would cause "Undo Delete Bars" to appear in the Edit menu, but do nothing unless chosen twice.
Fixed: Error "Input and output sample rates must match" might show when the devices do have matching sample rates.
Fixed: Flash messages were not being added to the flash message log.
Fixed: If Band-in-a-Box was in DAW Plugin mode while exiting, the window size was not restored the next time opening the program.
Fixed: Rendering .m4a or video files might fail and request that the user install QuickTime if using Windows 7. QuickTime should only be necessary for Windows Vista or XP.
Fixed: Some of the Oohs and Aahs (Vocal) RealTracks were not working correctly, and they have been greatly improved.
Fixed: Sometimes when deleting a note in the notation window, you will be asked "OK to delete chord".
Fixed: The "Show Flash Tips" setting did not have any effect when disabled.
Fixed: WashboardBluegrass drums.
Fixed: When exiting DAW Plugin mode, the window would not return to its previous size (it would become maximized).

Have Your Band-in-a-Box® Delivered In Time for Christmas!

The gift of music... some say this is the greatest gift of all! Imagine receiving the tools to help you create your own music for Christmas... like Band-in-a-Box!

If you are in the United States or Canada, order Band-in-a-Box before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

If you are outside of North America, order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th for Express delivery in time for Christmas.

With major savings and Bonus PAKs until December 31st, it's a great time to purchase Band-in-a-Box upgrades as a gift for someone you know... or for yourself!
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial Video

Our latest video includes a Quick Start tutorial on the installation, locations, and use of the Band-in-a-Box® Xtra Styles PAKs in Version 2018 for Windows. Video: Xtra Styles PAK Quick Start Tutorial

We have put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE! Until December 31st, purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

User Blog - How To Record a Cover Song Using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand

Joanne Cooper's final blog post for 2017, How to record a cover song using Band-in-a-Box and RealBand is a must-read!

Joanne summarizes the steps she took to produce her cover of "Old Lang Syne" - her final result was posted to the User Showcase Forum: Listen to Auld Lang Syne

https://www.joannecooper.co.za/blog/blog/how-to-record-a-cover-song-using-band-in-a-box-and-realband

Announcing…The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

We are excited to announce the release of a new project: The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)

Songwriter Floyd Jane shows the songwriting process from inspiration to performance and publication: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IYMMZVvQdCw

The idea for this project came about when many members on this forum and elsewhere were asking questions about the song writing process. There are many aspects, and many parts of it necessary to create a song, get it arranged, performed, and then published on the internet. So we asked the great songwriter Floyd Jane, who is a regular member on this forum, if he could help. Floyd agreed and was even able to collaborate with other forum members, Janice and Bud. The result is this video we put together that you can see on YouTube or Facebook, called "The Birth of a Song (w/Floyd Jane)".

We hope this video helps other songwriters with their songwriting process, and also shows them tools that are available to them along the way. Also, we mention this User Showcase Forum, and hope to see many new aspiring or accomplished songwriters join this community :blush:

A big Thank You to Floyd for sharing your knowledge with the community and making this possible. And to Janice and Bud for your great collaboration!

Here is Floyd's original forum post for his song "A Little Bit Of Me": http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=433190

Check out Floyd / Janice & Bud’s music here:
http://floydjane.com/
https://www.janiceandbud.com/

Forum Stats
26734 Members
50 Forums
49009 Topics
400514 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
TimmyA, Adam Fressbender, Smashplex, PasUser, zeuxis

26737 Registered Users