You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#443251 - 12/07/17 06:01 AM [User Showcase] Like A Thief In The Night
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Like A Thief In The Night

This is a song I wrote and recorded back in February of 2009, using my old music generation software. I redid it using all BIAB tracks and my TC-Helicon vocal processor. The vocal is a little too much up front in the mix. I've since done a new mix with the vocal set back just a tad but haven't posted it.

On the verses, I used a faint double of the lead vocal. On the Chorus, I added vocal harmony one octave higher. The entire vocal features delay with relatively short decay. I use my guitar amp (Peavey Nashville 112) as a power amp for my mixer. I applied a moderate amount of spring reverb from the amp. When I mixed the tracks in Audacity, I put a small amount of plate reverb on top of the spring reverb. That combination seems to have given the vocal a combination of depth and warmth - well, to the degree my vocal allows that to happen.

The original was a Pop Country Ballad. This version is a Pop Ballad but a few ticks faster and with somewhat of a Hip Hop style on the rhythm tracks.

On another note, Di is doing somewhat better. Thanks for the kindness you've shown her as her health declines. We sincerely appreciate it.

Hope you enjoy the song.

Alan

File:Like A Thief In The Night - Version 3 - BG Trax.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 95, Length (m:s)=3:32
Style is _SOULBAL.STY (Smooth Soul Ballad with Piano)

RealTracks in style: ~700:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 2811:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm SmoothSoulSlowMike Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~~1435:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm JazzFunkGroovinChords Ev16 110
Loop in Song: Dubstep\Dubstep - big_man_ting_70_drum_loop_1_f_minor sw16.wav
RealTracks in song: 2020:Sax, Tenor, Soloist PopCountryMark Ev 085 (Bluesy)
RealTracks in song: 1841:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveHigh Ev16 075
RealDrums in Song: PopPromiseEv16^3-a: Snare on 4, HiHat , b: Snare, Ride

Like A Thief In The Night
© 2009 Alan D. David, BMI

(v1)
Forsaken by love, too many times
My heart overruled, the pleading inside
Not wanting to hurt again, I told mysef
Don’t go looking, and there’s nothing to find

(v2)
But you captured my heart, and still I don’t
How you foiled the chains, that locked it so tight
In the shadows of romance, you found the key
Then you stole my heart, like a thief in the night

CHORUS
You played your love song, using my heart strings
Filling the darkness, in my soul with your light
I didn’t know until, it was much too late
That you stole my heart, like a thief in the night

INSTRUMENTAL BREAK

(v3)
I wasn’t looking, for love or romance
Just some affection, in pieces and bits
But just like candlelight, teased by a breeze
Your kisses danced, so soft on my lips

(v4)
Slowly you taught me, that love’s not to blame
It’s just the victim, of a cheater’s delight
You soothed the hurt, then you made your move
When you sole my heart, like a thief in the night

Repeat CHORUS

Edited by Al-David (12/07/17 09:11 PM)

Instrumental Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#443276 - 12/07/17 07:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Al-David]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Alan,

The vocal processing sounds really nice. Like you said, there is a "warmth" to it. I don't think it is too up-front...

Nice backing. Good mix. A good listen.

Best to you both...

floyd

#443345 - 12/07/17 10:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Al-David]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Al,
I can also hear the warmth in your vocal and enjoyed the old meets new sound.

Its not easy to make a common saying sound fresh, but these lyrics do!

Robert

#443374 - 12/07/17 12:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: floyd jane]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Alan,

The vocal processing sounds really nice. Like you said, there is a "warmth" to it. I don't think it is too up-front...

Nice backing. Good mix. A good listen.

Best to you both...

floyd

Thank you, Floyd. This one was a vocal stretch for me - the range. But, I think I got pretty close to getting it done. Thank you for the nice words.

Also, I'll take your word on the vocal placement in the mix. I'll leave it as is. I appreciate the feedback on that. wishing you and yours well.

Alan

#443377 - 12/07/17 12:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Al-David]
Sergio Guarneri Offline
Expert

Loc: Cremona-Italy

Really nice; very well done as usual.

Sergio

Sergio

#443380 - 12/07/17 12:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Robertkc]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al,
I can also hear the warmth in your vocal and enjoyed the old meets new sound.

Its not easy to make a common saying sound fresh, but these lyrics do!

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and leave a few words. I'm glad the effects of the vocal processor are evident. I have a rather thin voice with a limited range but the processor tens to "beef it up" a bit! I need all the help I can get with vocals.

It's interesting you mention that particular verse - for two reasons. First, it's my favorite of the four. Second, on another music site for posting original music, several folks said the verse didn't make any sense to them. That was back in 2009. So, I was happy to see your comment on the verse.

As far as lyrics, with the few exceptions that that appear now and then, there are but a few subjects to address in a lyric:

I love you
I hate you
I miss you
I love being with you
You did me wrong
I did you wrong
I have a problem
I solved a problem
I drink to forget
I love my truck
Spiritual/Religious
It's a great day
It's a crappy day
She's gone
She came back
Social/Political rants
Love hurts
Love heals

There are probably a few others, also. Considering the many thousands (millions?) of songs written, that's a very narrow range of subjects.

One measure of writing a good lyric is finding a new and fresh way of saying things that have been said countless times in the past. Thus you comment on that last verse made me particularly happy. Thank you!

Wishing you the best,

Alan

Edited by Al-David (12/07/17 12:29 PM)

#443384 - 12/07/17 12:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Sergio Guarneri]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Sergio Guarneri

Really nice; very well done as usual.

Sergio

Thank you very much, Sergio! I'm happy to liked it. Wishing you the best.

Alan

#443606 - 12/08/17 12:13 PM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Al-David]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Excellent tune Alan Well done

#443653 - 12/08/17 03:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Al-David]
Rob4580 Offline
Expert

Loc: Murgon Queensland Australia
Great lyric vocal and production.
Good work Al. Rob.

#443662 - 12/08/17 04:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Al-David]
edshaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Colorado
Very nice tracks.
I'm going to have to agree with Floyd that the vocals are not too much up front. To the contrary, the tendency with Biab is to let the backing track run unmodulated, which is not so good. The BB onboard mixer and DAW multi track volume controls help.
When you are playing live, and it is time for the vocalist to shine, do you not instinctively butt out? Isn't that really the mark of an amateur to just hog along, stepping on the soloists lines?
No, your vocals are not up front too much. If anything the BG could use more modulation. Just sayin'

Here'as an example, a friend of yours:
https://soundcloud.com/user-484637010/a-feeling-for-the-blues
Note that no lines compete.

Edited by edshaw (12/08/17 04:18 PM)
TEAC Digital deck
HD Stereo field recorder w/ clock

#443714 - 12/08/17 11:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Al-David]
animarorecords Online   content
Expert

Loc: Aichi, Japan
Hello, Alan

Very nice tune!
It is just like a fusion version of Sinatra song.
The standard style melody has become a very good finish with backing fusion arrangement.
The effect of TC-Helicon vocal processor is also pleasant.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

#443720 - 12/09/17 12:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Al-David]
RichMac Online   content
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Nice one Alan.
The title grabbed my attention and the chorus also really lifts the song.
Cheers.

#444231 - 12/11/17 08:47 AM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Scott C]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent tune Alan Well done
\

Thank you very much, Scott. I really appreciate that. merry Christmas.

Alan

#444232 - 12/11/17 08:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: Rob4580]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
Great lyric vocal and production.
Good work Al. Rob.

Hi Rob,

Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the very kind words! Merry Christmas.

Alan

#444239 - 12/11/17 09:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Like A Thief In The Night [Re: edshaw]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: edshaw
Very nice tracks.
I'm going to have to agree with Floyd that the vocals are not too much up front. To the contrary, the tendency with Biab is to let the backing track run unmodulated, which is not so good. The BB onboard mixer and DAW multi track volume controls help.
When you are playing live, and it is time for the vocalist to shine, do you not instinctively butt out? Isn't that really the mark of an amateur to just hog along, stepping on the soloists lines?
No, your vocals are not up front too much. If anything the BG could use more modulation. Just sayin'

Here'as an example, a friend of yours:
https://soundcloud.com/user-484637010/a-feeling-for-the-blues
Note that no lines compete.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the listen and interesting comments. Personally, I'm fine with the lyrics' place in the mix. So much of today's music is focused on the beat and rhythm more so than the lyric. I had 2 songs declined for licensing because the lyric was to "forward" in the mix. The voice was no louder than the vocal track in this mix.

I agree with what you're saying, but the music directors of those 2 projects didn't.

And yes, I was a lead guitarist for over 50 years and the lead players should always back down and allow the singer to be the top dog. that was in country music. I've found a lot of the newer pop music has the vocalist buried deeper in the mix. but, as I said. I agree with you & Floyd. I never did post the version with the vocal buried deeper. I'll keep this one as is.

Always appreciate constructive comments like yours. Thanks!

Merry Christmas,

Alan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Build 512 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download the latest free patch update here: www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#512

Summary of changes for Build 512 since 510 (Feb 15 2018):
Fixed: "Load SoundTrack Song" and "Load song with RealDrums Audio" buttons in the Sound Track dialog were not working.
Fixed: After returning Band-in-a-Box to factory settings the File Open dialog would default to the bb\Data\Lib directory.
Fixed: Choosing a custom chord sheet font would ignore any color choice made in the font selection dialog.
Fixed: Drum names were sometimes truncated in the RealDrums MultiDrums and Quicklist dialogs.
Fixed: Exporting a MIDI file might cause the error, "MIDIConv.exe no found".
Fixed: Mixer changes were not undoable, and would not cause user to be prompted to save their song when exiting.
Fixed: Static in RT2438 and other various RealTracks fixes.
Fixed: StylePicker database various updates. Some styles were displaying the wrong feel (swing/even) in notation. A few styles incorrectly showed missing Drums.
Fixed: The audio latency setting would increase every time leaving the Windows Audio Devices dialog.
Fixed: The Download Manager folder name defaulted to 2016 instead of 2018.
Updated: Help file.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is Here!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is here! PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 includes many new features and enhancements:

Windows Audio (WASAPI) driver support. This allows for low latency audio recording/playback without requiring ASIO. Note that this supports 1 stereo input plus 1 stereo output at a time. For multiple inputs/outputs, you should continue to use either MME or ASIO.

ABC Notation format support. You can save a track of notation in a popular ASCII text format to import into other programs, or you can paste this format into a user forum as a way of sending the track (usually the melody and chord symbols) to other users without having to attach a file.

The built-in Audio Chord Wizard detection in the Chords window automatically detects the chords of the song, based on the audio data from all non-muted audio tracks. This works similar to the standalone Audio Chord Wizard, except that it uses the current bar lines of the existing song.

Notation Enhancements:
-X/8 time signature support. This is a special method of displaying 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 time signatures in the Notation window.
-The Duplicate previous chord in notation right-click menu lets you quickly duplicate the previous chord (group of notes on same peg) without having to reenter it.
-Delete highlighted notes in notation right-click menu lets you delete all highlighted notes.
-Delete all notes on this peg in notation right-click menu lets you delete all notes on the nearest peg that was clicked on.
-You can now enter Section Numbers. Previously, you could enter letters (A-Z) only, but now you can also enter numbers (1-9).

...a full list of the new features in PowerTracks Pro Audio 2018 is available at http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.features.htm

http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm

#TBT - The Beginning of Xtra Styles PAKs for Band-in-a-Box®

We released the much-loved Xtra Styles PAKs in August 2016! This release included 164 RealStyles for Jazz, Country, Rock-Pop, and Singer/Songwriter and worked with any Band-in-a-Box® 2016 or higher UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

Xtra Styles PAKs were such a hit... we couldn't stop making them! Since their introduction, we've released 3 more PAKs with a total of over 600 Xtra Styles in all!

Want to hear what other program users are doing with their Xtra Styles? Visit our Xtra STyles Contests forum to hear all the songs submitted during previous song contest we've had: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=102&page=1

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs and listen to their demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win.

Band-in-a-Box® Customer Feedback - Feel The Love!

Check out some great feedback we've received on our Facebook account from program users:

"I have been using Band-in-a-Box for years. It is the anchor of my music gigs as well as my fun in my studio. I have used other software but Band-in-a-Box is my main go to."
-Jack T.

"Love Band-in-a-Box. As someone who played professionally for 20 years and retired from live performing years ago, I still love music. Band-in-a-Box allows me to create fun arrangements which I can sing over or play over. There are THOUSANDS of different variations plus you can enter any chords you like and create any chart. It's also great for creating background tracks for videos and audio content for websites, training etc. And like everything else in the world . . . it may not be right for everyone. For those who love music and don't have the time to shed five or six instruments it's way cool."
-Vinnie R.

"This program has completely changed my playing for the good. I can experiment with playing chords and leads over various scenarios that I can quickly create and change. Love this program. I use it nearly every day."
-Dave R.

"I bought my first version in 1994 and have progressed to 2018 version. I use it to create backing tracks for live music performance. I currently have over 2,000 songs performance ready. If you can and type, and use mouse it will work for you."
-Roger M.

"The premiere reason for me for buying this program; it has given me the freedom to fully complete the foundation for my songs without the confinement of limited minded musicians. After the song concept is complete, it can then be presented those musicians to play as a cover song. Also writing a song with a band gives them partial ownership of your idea... not cool... especially since they may have fought your idea every step of the way.. Every member of an organized band should own a copy of this program to compose or to even give legitimate composition alternatives to the original songwriter."
-Paul V.

Thanks everyone!

Support for ABC Notation Format in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

ABC notation is the simple text-based notation system used by musicians worldwide to store chords, melody, and lyrics of songs. Now with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows you can open and save songs in ABC notation format!

To save the song in ABC notation format, press the [Save As] toolbar button and choose Save as ABC notation file from the menu. Once opened, select a track that you want to save and choose your other criteria - The [Copy to clipboard] button will copy the file to the clipboard (that you can then paste it into other programs). The [Save as File] button will let you type a name and select the destination in your hard drive.

Band-in-a-Box® Song Title Browser Requests Forum

Have you stumped the Song Title Browser feature in the Band-in-a-Box® StylePicker?

If you tried to search for a popular song and this feature didn't offer you any listings, we'd love it if you'd let us know in our Wishlist forum here.

Posting your requests to this forum really does work - we used it to increase the database with the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 release!

Forum Stats
27105 Members
49 Forums
50244 Topics
412290 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Tuneslayer, donalcert, Hugh Wages, wkamen, maforbaaby300

27105 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 299
Matt Finley 279