You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#442734 - 12/05/17 07:06 AM [RealBand] RealBand won't sync MIDI and RealTracks together so they drift apart
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Houston, Texas
The Title says it all. I'm using the 2017 version of RealBand, and I've just updated it to the latest build.

I first noticed this with a BiaB tune I'd brought into RB that had a drums RealTrack. Its tempo was just a little bit faster than the MIDI instruments. By the end of a 3-minute tune it was very annoyingly out of sync. I then tried loading up a BiaB tune that had all RealTracks except for the melody. Same thing. By the end of a 3-minute tune, the melody was lagging behind by annoying amount.

And yes, I did click on Generate/Generate All BB Tracks so they would become native to RB. Didn't make a difference. This problem occurs whether I'm playing the file as a BiaB file or as a RB (.seq) file. Doesn't make any difference.

I've searched through RB's help, looking for any info related to syncing sound output but I haven't come up with anything that seems to apply in this situation.

Why is it that this is not an issue in BiaB, but it is in RB? It's little things like this that keep me from jumping in and using RB more often. It just seems like every few steps I take I get stymied by one thing or another.

Edited by cooltouch (12/05/17 09:58 AM)

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/michaelmcbroom/albums

#442789 - 12/05/17 10:30 AM [RealBand] Re: RealBand won't sync MIDI and RealTracks together so they drift apart [Re: cooltouch]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
How did you load the song into RB?

Did you drag 'n' drop (or equivalent) or did you open the saved BIAB SGU/MGU file?

#442858 - 12/05/17 01:57 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand won't sync MIDI and RealTracks together so they drift apart [Re: cooltouch]
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

I never drag and drop. I opened it via the File Open icon. It's an MGU file.

Is the manner in which a file is opened really gonna determine if the MIDI and RealTracks are gonna stay in sync?

My Music:

#442966 - 12/06/17 04:22 AM [RealBand] Re: RealBand won't sync MIDI and RealTracks together so they drift apart [Re: cooltouch]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Not saying that this is the case here, but sometimes with drag-and-drop in different DAWs, the tempo needs to be set first to match the tempo of the newly copied data. I think this is what Noel might have been exploring for you. Trying to examine possible causes.

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#442997 - 12/06/17 07:50 AM [RealBand] Re: RealBand won't sync MIDI and RealTracks together so they drift apart [Re: cooltouch]
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

Ah, I see. Well, one of the things I've been looking for is a sync command and I haven't found it yet.

I've noticed that, with BiaB, if I've done a fair amount of editing to a tune, where I've paused it, then unpaused, etc., that after a while, the tracks start getting out of sync with each other. But all I have to do is stop the song then restart it from the top and those out-of-sync issues are gone. Unfortunately, the same doesn't hold true for this problem I'm having with RB.

My Music:

#443036 - 12/06/17 10:57 AM [RealBand] Re: RealBand won't sync MIDI and RealTracks together so they drift apart [Re: cooltouch]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
It sounds like your midi file could possibly have a tempo instruction embedded that is slightly slower than the tempo in RB. Changing the tempo in RB will allow this to be determined.

Also, have a look at the MIDI events and see if there's an indication of tempo anywhere in the file.

Is the midi from within BIAB (i.e. midi track, Supermidi track or Realtrack notation turned to midi) or is from an external source (e.g. the internet, etc.)?

#443207 - 12/07/17 04:04 AM [RealBand] Re: RealBand won't sync MIDI and RealTracks together so they drift apart [Re: cooltouch]
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

It isn't a midi file, and it's never been a midi file. It's been an .mgu since day one. Granted, there are midi instruments and an event list, etc., but this tune originated on this machine, the same one it's having problems on.

NO Supermidi tracks, only one realtrack -- the drums -- and the drums are out of sync with the rest of the instruments. The event list is clean. Nothing in it but note data. Well, for the melody instrument, that is. But all the other instruments are in sync with the melody instrument. Just not the drums, which don't have an event list, since they're not midi.

I'm gonna try your suggestion about changing the tempo. That's one thing I haven't tried yet. I'll let you know how that works out.

My Music:

#443218 - 12/07/17 04:36 AM [RealBand] Re: RealBand won't sync MIDI and RealTracks together so they drift apart [Re: cooltouch]
cooltouch Offline
Apprentice

You know, I don't like being made a liar out of, especially by a razzlefrazzlesnazzle piece of software!

I just booted RB and I've tried several .mgu and .seq files and they're all playing in sync now. Everything's moving happily along in lockstep with each other. I guess maybe RB needed the day off I gave it or something.

You know, I swear I wasn't making this up. It was annoying how out of sync the Realtrack instruments had gotten with the MIDI instruments. And today, there's not a trace of this behavior. Maybe what this machine needed was a reboot. Which has occurred a couple of times since I first reported this problem.

So, I guess at this point I need to say never mind! If the problem crops up again, I'll be back.

Edited by cooltouch (12/07/17 04:38 AM)

My Music:

#443396 - 12/07/17 12:58 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand won't sync MIDI and RealTracks together so they drift apart [Re: cooltouch]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Don't feel badly; stuff like that happens often enough to each of us.

As the saying goes, what a difference a day makes. smile

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

PG Music News
National One-Hit Wonder Day!

Today is NATIONAL ONE-HIT WONDER DAY!

Have you ever created a "one-hit wonder" (that you'll admit to)? Post it to this thread - we'd love to hear it!

Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Forum Stats
27997 Members
57 Forums
54104 Topics
446372 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
gianni2007, SP3, Kevyn285, nitz, smokinhalfnote

27996 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 499
David Snyder 181