Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
R
OP Offline
R
Hi there, total noob here. I very recently posted concerning a problem I was having using style maker and building styles from scratch. If you know a lot about that and would like to help you can see that post here: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=444100&#Post444100

Otherwise I just wanted to see if BIAB would make sense as a tool for some musical goals I'm trying to accomplish.

One thing I love is how you give BIAB a number of 1 measure phrases and then it sort of randomizes them. This is especially useful for percussion. I have some different drum machines, groove boxes, and an electronic drum kit. Would it be feasible to create or edit a style where I record a whole ton of phrases myself via midi from these different devices? Would it capture the sounds or just the midi information? Or is BIAB the wrong tool for this kind of job?

If it is possible for me to build a song this way, would it be easy to then experiment swapping out different midi instruments while the track is playing to find the sounds that I like the best?

Sorry if either of these questions are too basic, I have been reading the tutorials and watching videos, I'm trying to figure out if my goals are even possible before I spend all this time trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
You are essentially describing creating loops and samples with your question. Biab can do the things you are wanting to do but any DAW will do it faster, easier and better in most conceivable aspects than Biab. DAWs are designed to do that type task whereas Biab is not. Biab can use loops and samples, contains loops and samples and is a great place to construct your song. There is simply little reason to do so unless you wish to use additional features of Biab such as RealTracks, Supermidi, midi or RealDrums. Or, perhaps use Biab to scratch out ideas.

Some DAWs are better suited by design to work with loops and samples than others such as Logic, Ableton Live and FL Studio. However, most every commercial DAW will be more than competent. It is better to work with a DAW you understand and are familiar with than change to another DAW because it recommended for loops and samples.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for the reply! I guess the only thing I wonder about is how easy is it to structure a song in another DAW? BIAB has been very intuitive so far, since I think in terms of traditional musicianship. Everything is bars, and choruses, repeat signs, bla bla. I've not seen that in any DAWs I've looked at. Also, are there DAWs that do what BAIB does in terms of randomizing phases within a style? Like, if I create some percussion within a DAW I have to create every second of it, then if I don't like the way it sounds I have to do it all over again and again. Wouldn't BAIB allow me to save some time in that regard if I used it to create percussion?

Sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well. Basically I like the "robot drummer with some degree of autonomy" that BAIB provides. But maybe stuff like FL studio and Ableton do that too?

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Yes, to your question of randomizing phrases. That's actually a unique feature of Biab/RealBand. Each time you regenerate a track, it changes from the previous version. You can also force these variations to occur and somewhat control them using various means such as part markers, pushes rests and stops, as well as slash chords. I made some additional suggestions over in your other post also.

I'm particularly enjoying following your posts because you are working within a genre that's not featured very much here in the BIAB forum but is a genre certainly within the programming capabilities of BIAB. Your work may inspire others to try this genre too.

I urge you to post some of your ongoing projects onto the BIAB Users Showcase to get other Biab users feedback and recommendations. They are very respectful even if they may not follow your particular genre of music, but for you, it as a wonderful way to fast track your learning how to work with BIAB all the while letting the world hear your original music. Covers can't be posted to the Users Forum and a PGMusic produce must be used in creating the finished work in some manner.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/11/17 10:04 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
R
OP Offline
R
Cool, thanks for all of your help so far. Next time I sit down my plan is going to be to pick an existing style and see how far I can take editing that style, and play with how far I can push that style from what it started out as. I'd REALLY like to have more control of the types and amounts of rhythm phrases that BIAB will randomize, that's kinda how I approach percussion.

I'll also play around with mixing and matching from different styles to see what happens. So, one more thing if you don't mind: I can only edit things in Style Maker that are pure MIDI right? I cannot edit real tracks, real drums, or live drums (pre recorded phrases?), correct? Can I edit midi styles than later assign real tracks and real drums to the phrases I edited?

I'll figure it out eventually I'm sure, and yes I will certainly be sharing stuff here once I start making some progress.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
In style maker, you can only edit MIDI events. You can include RealTracks in a style; however, it's just a matter of picking an existing RealTrack for that particular track in the style and it will play according to how the RealTrack engine processes it. You can't edit it.

But for MIDI tracks, you have the flexibility to edit as much as you wish.

For a drum track, each pattern is up to one 4-beat bar in length, broken down into 16th notes (if you use the grid); however, you can also import "live" played drums for each bar as well. You get 14 slots (or 14 bars worth of content) for the "A" substyle and 14 slots for the "B" substyle. You also get 14 slots for drum fills (which will play when transitioning between the "A" and "B" substyles. And you get 14 slots for the 2-bar song ending.

Also, don't forget that you can define multi-styles, which basically daisy chain individual style files together to give you "C", D" and "E", F" and "G", "H" etc. substyles for as many as you wish.

If you want to create MIDI riffs for the other instruments, you get 30 slots to work with. For the "A" substyle, you get 30 8-beat slots, 30 4-beat slots, 30 2-beat slots, and 30 1-beat slots. Likewise for the "B" substyle, and then 30 slots for the 2-bar song ending. What happens is that if a chord's duration is 8 beats or longer, BIAB will pick riffs from the 8-beat slots; if a chord's duration is 4 beats, it will pick from the 4-beat slots; likewise for 2-beat and 1-beat. And again, with multi-styles, you can have very many riffs.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
R
OP Offline
R
Hey there, thanks for the response! That's what I figured out RealTracks, I'm thinking it'd be more useful for me to just acquire better MIDI samples and prioritize those over RealTracks if I'm trying to so something really specific.

Also, this is copy and pasted from a different question I had about editing in stylemaker. Basically I was trying to build something from scratch (following the tutorial mind you) and BIAB just started adding in weird rhythm tracks that showed up in the mixer, but were nowhere to be found in stylemaker editer:

""Hi, just got BIAB a few days ago and I've been messing around with it, trying to figure out how it works. I've run into some hiccups with the style maker.

First I tried editing an existing style like the tutorial suggested and that went ok, I get how it works more or less. Then I tried building a style from scratch. I went into the drum grid and put some patterns in. Then, as soon as I save it and hit play I hear all these extra drum sounds on the drum and loop channels in the mixer. They are sort of blended in with the drums I recorded. Has anyone else had this problem? What is going on?""

If you have any insights about this I'd love to hear, just so have a better gut feeling of what is going on when I work with the thing you know?

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Some styles have loops defined in them; I would avoid those if you are looking to modify an existing style. I would probably start with the BLANK.STY and go from there, and then after saving the style, make sure your saved style is what is loaded in BIAB. In general, you shouldn't get weird sounds.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
R
OP Offline
R
OK, I suspect my problem is that I did not start from BLANK.STY, perhaps assuming that that would happen automatically. I will check that out later, thank you!

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
robertleo,

Also there are four (4) blank styles: two for swing feel, two for even feel, two for 3/4 time signature and two for 4/4 time signature.

Open the StylePicker (2017 BiaB photo) and type in the word "blank" to easily find all four. In my photograph the loaded style is also listed.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Blank Styles.jpg (161.35 KB, 26 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195