Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
When I updated my USB HDD drives (one is a backup) from BIAB 2017 to 2018 I have "lost" the HDD ID icon on whichever drive I plug in. The program upgrade itself works fine but instead of the drive icon being the PG BIAB it just defaults to a non descript Windows one. Anyone any ideas on whether I can get the BB icons back please? I'm on Windows 7 (64 bit)

In the Autorun file in root of the HDD it reads: [autorun] ICON=bb\PGMICON.ICO,0 but this does not seem to be activating anything ?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB Capture.JPG (11.48 KB, 75 downloads)
Last edited by Kev T; 12/12/17 01:51 PM.

BIAB 2022 PLUSPAK (ext HD), 49PAKs, STYLESPAKs 1 - 6, Win 7 64bit PC, REAPER, Ozone, Adobe Audition CS6, EZ Drummer3 + EZ Keys,Soundcraft MTK22, Behringer X Touch Universal Controller,, SE Gemini/Rode NT2/Neumann/Shure mics
Veteran
Veteran
Right Click on the icon > Properties > Select Icon.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for the fast reply Jim. When I R click on the HDD icon and pick Properties I can't find any Select Icon option ? Is that in a sub menu somewhere?

BIAB 2022 PLUSPAK (ext HD), 49PAKs, STYLESPAKs 1 - 6, Win 7 64bit PC, REAPER, Ozone, Adobe Audition CS6, EZ Drummer3 + EZ Keys,Soundcraft MTK22, Behringer X Touch Universal Controller,, SE Gemini/Rode NT2/Neumann/Shure mics
Veteran
Veteran
My Boo Boo Kev T,

By habit I told you the steps to reacquire a program icon on the desktop shortcut.

I'm not sure how to assign an icon for a temporary drive.

Please accept my apology. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to answer your question.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
No problem Jim. Good of you to reply anyway. The icon is no big deal but it's good to have that instant ID as to what the content of that USB Drive is...and I'm just curious as to why the BB icon disappeared and whether I can restore it??

Have a great day.

Kev

Veteran
Veteran
Most security software disables AUTORUN.INF on USB drives and CD's, as it has been linked to virus infestation. I'm not really sure why they still get created and used, especially sing usually Windows Autoplay gives you a menu and asks you what you want to do.

Are you saying that you normally get an icon appearing on your desktop when you plug in the USB. On mine, I only get the Autoplay window (which I usually just close) and then go to Windows Explorer to run what I want to run.

Or are you saying that your BIAB or RealBand icon on the desktop changed. That can happen if the USB drive gets connected as a different drive letter than originally used, so the icons can't find the program to launch.

Do you consistently plug the USB into the same USB port. That can cause some weird stuff occasionally, too.

But if you can see the files on the drive, you should be able to run BIAB/RealBand with no problems.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Kev,

On my Band-in-a-Box hard drive, I've got a file called "autorun.inf", and if I open it in Notepad, it contains the following text, which tells Windows which icon to use:

[autorun]
ICON=bb\PGMICON.ICO,0

So I'd check to make sure "autorun.inf" is still there, that the Band-in-a-Box folder on that drive is still called BB, and that the BB folder still contains PGMICON.ICO.

If "autorun.inf" is gone, you can recreate it using Notepad and the text above.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Good point. The reason is that the file referenced in the there (in the autorun) was moved to a subfolder by the Band-in-a-Box cleanup routine. You can edit the file and point it to:
bb\Data\Util\PGMICON.ICO
The change probably won't take effect until next time you plug the drive in.

Last edited by Andrew - PG Music; 12/13/17 07:01 PM.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Again, most modern anti-virus programs block autorun.inf because of possible virus infection. In fact, that's how Sony implemented their horrible root kit infection of computers to keep folks from ripping their CDs.

Autorun.inf History

It's something that should be done away with (even if somewhat convenient) as the potential for virus infection isn't worth the small amount of convenience.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Kev T Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you very much John, Andrew and Kent. Interesting information...every bit of it!

Kent.....yes I did put in my original post that the autorun.inf file was showing the correct data..thanks

John.....yes I do normally use the same USB port as it's one of the two remaining unused ports I have out of six and the other one is a bit unreliable now!....but very interesting info about the Anti spyware/malware programs. There was no problem running BB but just the icon was missing. I have it arranged so that each drive plugged in (independently....not together) appears as drive F:

First prize on this occasion to Andrew! That seems to have done the trick so the Cleanup from 2018 looks to have moved the autorun file to the subfolder you described and editing the autorun.inf to read bb\Data\Util\PGMICON.ICOfile appears to have done the trick! Next time I plugged in either drive the BB icon was back. smile

Problem solved......thanks again for everyones input. Special thanks to Andrew.

Last edited by Kev T; 12/17/17 12:52 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195