Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I had a notification on my browser telling me to update Windows to the latest version (I have 10586.1176) as Windows will not provide security updates for this version anymore.

Now I am using an old Win10, as the first big update caused my printer to malfunction. But I suspect this is a scam and possibly some kind of malware (virus, ransomware, etc.)

I didn't click on anything when this appeared, so that makes it even more suspicious.

Going to my settings it tells me Windows is up to date

HOWEVER.....

I googled microsoft ends security updates for windows 10 version 10586.1176 and this showed up:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4041689/windows-10-update-kb4041689

I know there are some computer pros here, does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.
Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
You are probably SOL unless you upgrade. Current version is 1709. 1511 is fairly ancient by MS standards.

I would upgrade through Windows Update though instead of the browser just in case you have some bug....

P.S. - Windows Update history would show your previous updates.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Send me 10 bitcoins within 48 hrs and I'll have my people in Bangladesh install that update for you.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
1709 finished installing on my laptop and PC yesterday. It was a major update or as MS says, "Featured" update.

So MS may have been trying harder than normal to getting you upgraded.

When you click on that update after it's installed, it will list out all of the "NEW" features they added which I've already disabled as many as possible.

Luckily the folks at "Classic Start Menu" were all over it and that updated too for me.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
Veteran
Veteran
Correct

Notes, you need to either allow a Feature update to a version or two newer (16?? - forget number before 1703, 1703) or even current 1709 or take that machine offline because it sounds like you are NOT a "down in the bowels," command line level, registry hacking, and Group policy editor, and & services inspector - e.g., GEEK.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Unfortunately the more complex Win10 gets over time the harder it is to keep it offline and not update. M$ wouldn't do that on purpose would they?!?! smile

Steve

Veteran
Veteran
So I just discovered that my SSD 250 Gig C:\ drive on the laptop was full.

Found that during the update, M$ turned hibernation back on which created a new 15 Gig file. (I re-disabled it.)

They added a 4 Gig Page file even though I still had virtual memory turned off. (I deleted that.)

They also cloned the C:\Windows directory to Windows.OLD. The OLD directory is 90 Gig. (I will delete the .OLD directory after a few days to make sure nothings in there that I need.)

So just in one major update, they chewed up over 110 Gigs of disk space.

Nice of them to let folks know that. Geez M$, cleanup after yourself.

Steve

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks to all.

Long ago a big update came down and it caused my printer to stop working. I reverted back to the previous version. I think it was the first "featured" update for Win10. Since then I've been getting security updates and they haven't informed me about a major update since.

I'm in settings->Update & Security and checking for updates, and it a couple of Intel display updates in, and now says I'm up to date.

So I guess I need to go to microsoft's website and see if I can download from there.

Hopefully my printer will work, they've had a long time to add the driver or fix whatever was wrong. It was purchased during the Win8 days, and it's a Canon laser printer, so it's not some obscure relic.

Thanks again for the info. I'm a musician, and not also a geek (unfortunately) and when something comes down unsolicited, I find it wise to be suspicious.

Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I'm in settings->Update & Security and checking for updates, and it a couple of Intel display updates in, and now says I'm up to date.

So I guess I need to go to microsoft's website and see if I can download from there.

Hey Notes, I'm confused at this. Are you saying that Update & Security says you are up-to-date and you do not believe you are?

Click the "View installed update history" link from that page. It's just under the "Check for Updates" button.

That should list out the last updates installed, if you could provide to us that would be great. All my last "Quality" updates have Version 1709 in the title.

You should not have to go to an external web page to update.

Steve

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Exactly. And the last updates were for Intel display items.

About still has me @ the 10586 version so I went to Microsoft, downloaded the Microsoft update assistant, Windows10Upgrade9252.exe and it analyzed my system and started downloading.

Obviously a huge download, as it has been running for about a half hour and it's only about 10% down. But then, I have a slow DSL connection, I'm about 3 miles from the end of the fiber optics, so all I can get is what ATT calls DSL Lite which I believe is .768Mbps max.

It's the price of living in near paradise. There is a 15 mile stretch of road, with a protected wetlands to the west, and to the east a 2 mile wide lagoon, a thin barrier island, and the Atlantic Ocean. Most of the lots are 50 acres or more, with only about a half dozen dead end spur streets coming off where people subdivided their lots before zoning said "no-no". I live on a half acre, one lot away from the big mansions in a 900 sq ft house originally built as a fishing cottage. 10 homes on this dead end street that was a portion of the original owner's 56 acre lot.

I'm 32' above sea level (a mountain for Florida) on the top of an ancient sand dune, and thanks to the water, it's a micro-climate, about 10 degrees cooler in the summer and 10 degrees warmer in the winter than the rest of the area.

I've been typing away for a while, and it's now 13% downloaded. It says I can keep on working, I can choose when to start the update, and if I don't like it, I can go back.

Of course, I did a full Acronis back-up before starting the download.

I wonder what spyware MS is going to install now laugh -- I know it's the price to be paid.

Notes

Expert
Expert
Hi, on the start (Windows) icon (usually bottom left corner) right click and select run. In the run box type "winver" with the quotes. That will show what version you are running. Version 1709 is large and does take time.

To get shy of the Windows.old it is best to do a Windows clean of the drive. It won't let you delete it as such ( not easily anyhow).

I also ran out of room even though I had RealTracks on a different drive. I picked up about 20Gig moving all BIAB to a different drive. This was a simple task albeit time consuming.

Hope this helps

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 12/13/17 11:19 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
Good tips Tony, thanks!

Steve

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Tony.

The d/l is 30% now. But it's only about 5:PM and we don't have a gig today.

I've had no trouble with the old build, and hopefully won't have trouble with the new. They've probably had it out long enough to get the bugs worked out.

So I'm wasting time, not doing anything too productive, as I don't want to be in the middle of something important when it gets done, and in case it doesn't work out, I've made a disk image of my HD so if I have to revert, and I do anything important now, it might get lost.

Anyway, I'm glad it's a real MS upgrade and not somebody scamming me.

Now I did get one of those calls yesterday evening, (with thick Asian accent) "This is Microsoft calling to tell you that you have a problem with your Windows software..." at which time I told him, "I have an Apple computer" and hung up.

Notes

Expert
Expert
I love those "I am from Microsoft" calls. I got one when I first retired.

I said "oh thanks for the call. I am so lonely with no one to talk to can we chat"

He hung up on me.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My wife told them "My husband will fix it, he works for Microsoft."

I told one, "Let me put you on hold while I start my computer", hit the hold button, and checked about hour later, he was no longer on the line.

I figured the more time of his I waste, the less time he has to nail an innocent.

Notes

Veteran
Veteran
I like acting all excited about their deal and say 'Explain it to me in detail" .. then set the phone down and let them talk for a while.

Every time I've done this, when I went back to the phone they had hung up. Only one ever called back. He said 'I think we got disconnected'. I said 'Nope, I set the phone down and you talked a while, then hung up'. At which point he hung up again.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I went to bed after midnight, it still wasn't done. This morning it was ready.

Not without minor problems, so I'll start a new thread.

Notes

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Teunis
To get shy of the Windows.old it is best to do a Windows clean of the drive. It won't let you delete it as such ( not easily anyhow).

Correct sir. I ran Administrative Tools-->Disk Cleanup and clicked the "Clean up system files" button. I made sure to check all the file boxes and there was a Windows Update files in there somewhere. After I ran that the 90+ Gig Windows.old directory was gone.

Steve

Veteran
Veteran
Very interesting thread. I had just noticed that my system drive suddenly lost a lot of free space. I used Explorer to open the C drive and the last item on the list is Windowsold and it shows as 85.5 gigs. Why not just delete that folder?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, in some cases Windows will keep some files in use. In that scenario you wouldn't be able to delete the folder as it would say some files are in use. When I looked in the folder, it looks like it had made backups of Program Files and Program Files (x86). Anyhow, if it deletes, go for it. I waited a couple of days after the Windows Update to make sure everything was working fine on my machine.

The Disk Cleanup option can at least wipe the folder if you cannot do it manually.

Steve

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195