Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well I updated Windows to the latest build, it took from mid afternoon to way past midnight.

All my settings were gone, the apps pinned to the start menu and so on.

What I'm trying to restore is the system font in file explorer.

I had a bold typeface, probably Verdana, and now it is not bold and hard to read. In the past I could figure out how to change the font, but now I'm flummoxed.

Any clues?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What operating system are you using, Notes? Knowing would help us inform you smile

Cheers,
Deryk
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Windows 10, latest release. I haven't found where to get the release number yet. Things are not in the same place they used to be.

I used to be able to go to the Control Panel and find Display Settings -- I found Display Settings with a right click on the desktop, but can't find where to change the font for the icons, file explorer, and drop down menus to bold typeface. It's all I need as I'm farsighted.

Bob

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Veteran
Veteran
Bob -

To get the version and build of Windows you are using, just open a command prompt and type: winver

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
To change the size and boldness of text for various elements, right click on the desktop and select "Display Settings" from the popup menu. When the window comes up, click on "Display" in the left hand navigator, then click on "Advanced display settings" on the bottom right of the window. Scroll down the new window until you see "Advanced sizing of text and other items". Click on that, and from there, you can redefine the text size and boldness (but not the font used). The following elements can be changed:

• Title Bars
  • Menus
  • Message Boxes
  • Palette Titles
  • Icons
  • Tooltips

Hope that helped.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Expert
Expert
Hi Bob,

Do you have the Windows icon (usually at the bottom left hand side). If so do a right click and select Run. In the run box type "winver" (without the quotes) that should show you the version.

What I would do is shut down and once it is completely shut power on again, log in and pray.

When you power up you might get a little box telling you it can't find your profile let it sit there a while minute or two then press enter. With any luck the log in screen will appear. Let that sit for a minute or so then log in.

Make sure you keep the Windows.old file whatever you do if all else fails you might need to restore and the Windows.old is the restoration point.

Hope it works out

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's WINVER: 1709 OS Build 16299.125

Originally Posted By: jford
To change the size and boldness of text for various elements, right click on the desktop and select "Display Settings" from the popup menu. When the window comes up, click on "Display" in the left hand navigator, then click on "Advanced display settings" on the bottom right of the window.

That's what I tried via some instructions on google, but there is no "Advanced Display Settings" in the window of this build. There was on the version I just replaced.

More googling and I think I'm SOL.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=advanced+d...s=1513294681990

It says:

Select Start
Windows logo Start button
and select Settings
Gear-shaped Settings icon
> System > Display.
If you want to change the size of your text and apps, use the dropdown menu under Scale and layout. In Windows 10, you can no longer change the text size of a specific item.

(the bold type above is mine)

So I guess I can't make them bold either. That's all I really need.

Very rude indeed.

I can just change she size of all the fonts. At bigger sizes they create other problems.

Microsoft is getting more and more like the things I don't like about Apple. they are hiding things from the user and not letting us adapt the tool to our needs.

I've been farsighted since I was a teenager. Small, thin fonts are food for eyestrain.

Well, if there is nothing I can do about it, I'll just have to deal with it. I'm using a laptop (ThinkPad) but I can connect an external monitor if I find it too difficult to cope with.

Thanks for all your help.

Bob

Last edited by Notes Norton; 12/14/17 01:50 PM.

Veteran
Veteran

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Larry. This looks like it might save the day.

Pardon me for taking so long to say "Thanks" I just got on-line. I went up to see the SpaceX launch and landing, and stopped off at my sisters on the way back. First day off in a loooong time.

I'll download it, make a disk image, and try it out.

Take care,
Bob

Veteran
Veteran
I've always wanted to see a take off. I've read that when the Saturn 5 or a Shuttle took off not only could you see and hear it but feel the vibrations in your chest.

I would imagine seeing a stage 1, automated landing is in a class by itself. Surely amazing times we live in.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've done the shuttle a dozen times, it's worth the >100 mile (one way) trip up north. Night launches are really spectacular. It was loud but you really can't get close enough for ear damaging volumes. Security is tight (and rightly so). But even a couple of miles away it's truly awesome (and I don't use that word unless it's deserved).

This is the first time I've seen a first stage land. It was like a "Flash Gordon" moment. The rocket went up, the exhaust flame was a different color from the shuttle, We followed it with the binoculars, watched the first stage get jettisoned, it fell away and disappeared behind a wispy cloud.

So we were standing there, scanning the sky (I met a couple from Suriname and another from England) watching for close to 10 minutes. None of us knew just where it was going to land.

Then someone pointed and said "There it is!" and the rocket did a few second burst of flame orienting itself, the flames quit, it descended and then the flames started again as it slowed down in that vertical position.

Then we got the twin sonic booms.

And I remember the old Mercury days when the capsule splashed down in a target area as big as the ocean and the service ships would have to go fifty miles or so to get to it because we couldn't control the landing any finer than a few hundred mile target. And now they can land on a dime. Amazing.

When the space shuttle was in service, as it passed on the way to the cape, we would hear the twin sonic booms and we'd know she was home.

If you ever get there, take the tour, watch the IMAX movie and enjoy the exhibits. IMO it's worth the money to do at least once.

It was a great day.

Notes

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

This worked perfectly.

First I had to backup, but after the Creators Update, Acronis wouldn't recognize my external drive. I e-mailed Acronis, today they answered, that I have to simply reselect the drive. I guess even though it showed, something between Acronis and Windows wasn't complete (layman's guess). Re-selecting allowed me to backup.

If you have Acronis and get updated to Creators, note this.

So I just got done installing that A+changesize.exe nudged the font size up 2 ticks and made it bold, and now it's perfect for these farsighted eyes on a hi-rez screen.

Thanks again Larry.

Bob

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK now the the problem is solved and we got off on a Kennedy Space Center tangent, here is my best KSC story.

We went up for a night launch of the shuttle and didn't want to park in the place where we usually do for day shots, so we drove up US1 to the causeway that leads to the space center.

It was blocked off, and we on the exit ramp to ask the guard where a good place to watch a night launch might be.

She looked around, moved the barricade and said, "Go in".

It took us to the viewing area you see on TV. With the bleachers where the press sits, near the news cameras, and that giant digital clock.

We've never been this close for a launch, and the shuttle is up there with spotlights on it at night, looking like a sci-fi movie.

We think, "Wow! We're really IN!"

And the clock tics down and right before the launch it stops. I remember 10 seconds, Leilani things it was 3. The 7 second difference doesn't matter. The launch was scrubbed over a computer problem.

And we were sooooooo close.

Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195