Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#445728 - 12/17/17 03:48 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Just received a Taxi rejection for a placement entry I made and the song had been held well beyond the cutoff date and also beyond their normal 30 days to get a reply date.

From the rejection letter: The music (BIAB RealTracks) and lyrics was authentic to the genre and representative of what the client was seeking for a placement in a movie. My vocals needed more warmth and some pitch correction and appears to have been the deciding factor to not getting this song placement.

This Vocal recording was a one take, no punch-ins, no phrase corrections, recorded with reverb during the take with the cheapest mic I have and in a room with no type of treatment. A complete 'one and done'.

I didn't take my work as a serious means to earn income and sold myself short. I submitted it on the spur of the moment and had no confidence it would ever receive serious consideration.

Oops. It's not better luck next time for me. It's up my game and try to output quality workmanship. You only have to get it right once but how many times will once come around?

Be smart with your music.

#445729 - 12/17/17 04:19 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Charlie Fogle]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Charlie,

Dust yourself off and get back at it. Writing for spec is the hardest thing to do. At least you got a rejection letter. grin

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#445734 - 12/17/17 05:18 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Wow Charlie,

Sorry you didn't get a placement but you did get some good feedback and a wake-up call. Now, get in it to win it!
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB HDD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#445755 - 12/17/17 11:04 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Charlie,

That's a very impressive accomplishment!

All the best with next time.
Noel

#445905 - 12/18/17 03:31 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Charlie Fogle]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Thanks for sharing; good lesson .. glad you learned from it.

#445920 - 12/18/17 04:12 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: 90 dB]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Charlie,

Dust yourself off and get back at it. Writing for spec is the hardest thing to do. At least you got a rejection letter. grin

Regards,

Bob

Second time around with Taxi and in my third year this go around so I've had more than a few rejection letters. Most generic, unmeaningful and such. This one seemed to have more depth, you know, like they would actually have picked this one if they could. Yep, I'll dust off and start writing instrumentals.... Got if all figgered this time ;=)

#445921 - 12/18/17 04:13 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Jim Fogle]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Wow Charlie,

Sorry you didn't get a placement but you did get some good feedback and a wake-up call. Now, get in it to win it!

you got it. Upping my game..... Maybe

#445923 - 12/18/17 04:23 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Noel96]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Charlie,

That's a very impressive accomplishment!

All the best with next time.
Noel

Thanks Noel. I must say, I do have a pretty impressive rejection list.....

I appreciate your continued support.

#445924 - 12/18/17 04:26 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: rharv]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: rharv
Thanks for sharing; good lesson .. glad you learned from it.

Thanks. must find a way to change learned to earned......

It actually was a lesson to share and I want to encourage the folks here to believe in themselves and the first step is to treat your work like someone will really be listening to it.

#446007 - 12/19/17 06:05 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Charlie.... Indeed.... there's one thing you absolutely must keep in mind when you submit to any music library or commercial end user. The song you send in is going to be used exactly like you send it in the final video production. They're not going to have another group of musicians record it again, and they're not going to take the time to send it back to you saying they really love the song and could you please fix the vocals or the out of tune guitar..... nope, they're going to deep six it and pick another song that does sound professional in every way.

Taxi generally returns 90% of the music submitted for one reason or another. Rainy Day on my music page was one such return. The review said the music was professional, the lyrics nailed the requested scene in the movie. The screener even asked.... "you wrote this for this listing, didn't you?" (yes I did) .... the style is ballad rock and they wanted more of an indy-rock groove. It was a 3 day turnaround. Close deadline and I spent a lot of time on it to get in before the deadline. The screener even said in the review that I "nailed it". I appealed it but the head of screening at taxi agreed that the song was "spot on" but the wrong style and they didn't want to send songs, no matter how well it fit the lyrical aspect of the listing, if the producer didn't want anything outside of his requested musical style risking their relationship with that producer.... so it was a return.

I had about a 90% return rate, which is average, from what I hear. The forwards all ended up in digital oblivion. I did get one really nice A-list library out of it..... but that library never placed the songs and didn't communicate well. Other taxi folks told me the library was a good one. I guess that's their opinion.

I quit using Taxi for a variety of reasons and started using other libraries I found on my own. My placements in TV and film have come from the ones I have found on my own.

But yeah, back to the topic.... the music you send has to be top bar stuff. If you don't have the time to punch out the mistakes or pitch correct the vocal track, don't send it. Taxi will return it. If you are dealing with a publisher or a library, the president or the screener there will not have a very high opinion of your work and will tend to set your stuff on the side to be reviewed only if they can't find what they need (if at all) in the other songs presented. In other words, you get a bad reputation quickly for sending in less than usable music, and that's hard to recover from.

A number of the libraries I use now, had a screener listen to 2 examples of the music I write, record, and produce. Some of them took me several attempts to get the quality up enough to be accepted. There's a lot of really talented people out here writing music for film and TV. With the advent of home studios and really good gear becoming affordable, the quality bar has been raised to stratospheric levels in this area. That alone is making it harder and harder to get placements. Factor the sheer number of songs being submitted for consideration on each listing, and you begin to see that this is hard work.

I still use a few lower cost alternatives than TAXI. No membership and just pay $6 per submission. The more you submit to them, the more listings they send to you to choose from. Another is only $5/mo and I can unsubscribe any time I want.... or submit as many songs as I want. I get emails for new listings on a daily basis. I pick the ones I think are a good fit. Just got an exclusive publishing offer for some of my tunes from that one.

Look around and see if you can land a few other libraries on your own before the TAXI subscription comes up for renewal again.

Edited by Guitarhacker (12/19/17 06:09 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#446080 - 12/19/17 12:28 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Guitarhacker]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Great advice Herb and your numbers track closely to what I've found. Sounds for sure you've been in my shoes before.

#446288 - 12/20/17 07:13 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Despite the rejection, at least it seems like they had some significant feedback. Much better than the blunt dismissal I think all musicians have received at some point or another. Keep truckin' on smile

#446387 - 12/20/17 02:42 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

I agree Deryk. I'm use to the generic don't fit the vibe, groove or genre rejections. This recording could have been better and wasn't because I recorded the vocal in one take with little processing and no vocal punch in to correct minor pitch error. It's a bummer but I honestly deserved the rejection.

I shared hoping others will recall my story and put the effort into their entire song and not be slack like I was

Fair warning to everyone we can't ride to success solely on the professional results we can now obtain with BIAB/RB generated tracks.... ;=)

#446445 - 12/20/17 08:23 PM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Tobias Offline
Expert

Loc: Way too close to Palm Springs,...
Could be they are giving constructive criticism because they view you as a future resource and want to keep you on their list of potentials for future projects. Sounds to me that they liked something about your writing, lyrics, arrangement, style, etc... "the music and lyric was authentic to..." Apparently, I'm speculating, you hit on most of attributes they were looking for in the instruments selected. The vocal is always the most criticized part of a song. Perhaps choosing the appropriate vocalist would make a difference also. I put my own voice on songs I arrange for other song writers with the suggestion of what type of vocalist might work best if they are pitching the song. But, they most often pitch them with my sample vocal/voice or their own voice which, in my opinion is not always the best way to go.
Anyway, how to I/we get to hear it? Do you have a link?

#446495 - 12/21/17 06:49 AM [Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production] Re: No more 'One and Done' Vocal recordings for me [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

You are right on the mark on every point Tobias. There are several points about vocals. One, vocals are the most difficult instrument to record. Much about recording good vocals is subjective. A quick comparison between vocalists such as Michael Buble and Joe Cocker or Celion Dion and Stevie Nicks who all have achieved great success as vocalists but there are great variances in their performances. Don Felder performed in the best selling vocal band of the 20th century but he's self professed and unchallenged by the experts, to be at best, an average vocalist.

When it comes to recording with BIAB, there are many possible weak links to getting a professional sounding final product but the weakest possible link is vocal recordings. The 'Band in the Box' in our computer gives us the world class, professional session musicians playing quality instruments through quality gear into a quality recording. It's a near perfect recording environment. From that point forward, it becomes what we do with this tool we have that makes the difference between success and failure. The product is no longer dependent on the instrumentation performance, however, the composition,arrangement, mix, production and performance relies on the ability, environment, post production gear, experience and work ethic of the person using the BIAB software. The actual quality of the final recording depends on what happens out of the box. Every Band in a Box owner/user begins a project on a level playing field with the Band in a Box software.

I knew the song I submitted to Taxi was authentic to the genre. It's a genre I've been around and performed my entire life. I knew the lyrics were good enough as they were extensively discussed in detail and reviewed here on the forum. All of the music was generated in BIAB and I know my way around the program well enough to create a professional sounding, radio quality performance track. What I did not do was properly finish off the project in a manner equal to the quality of the write and performance track.

My One and Done title for this thread is my recognition of understating the importance of the quality of an entire project and not relying on the strength of other elements to carry a project to success.

The song I submitted was put into the User Forum well before I submitted it to Taxi. Here is a link to the song:

My Sad Story

Edited by Charlie Fogle (12/21/17 06:55 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Features a Cleaned-up BB Folder

If you've used previous versions of Band-in-a-Box®, you may have noticed a lot of different files and folders within the "BB" folder for the program - after years and years of development there are up to 10,000 files for an UltraPAK! With Version 2018, we've cleaned it up - but you're not losing anything - the cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually if you'd like - just select the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine...

Review all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson

One of our just-released RealTracks Sets features the award winning harmonica player Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson!
RealTracks Set 283: Jelly-Roll Country Harmonica

Add his harmonica playing to your Band-in-a-Box song for that soulful feel that cannot be matched!

Learn more about "Jelly Roll" Johnson and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Beginners Forum - Exporting from Band-in-a-Box® to a .MID File

Our Forum is amazing - an online community full of helpful program users, BETA testers, endorsers, and staff!

We include a Beginners Forum, which is a great place for Band-in-a-Box beginners to visit for discussions & resources!

This week included a very active post, Exporting from Band-in-a-Box to a .MID file. Visit this post to learn more about exporting RealTracks as .MID files, and see our friendly forum users at work!

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 For Windows Build 509 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download this free patch update at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#509

Summary of changes:
Added: The drop station has MP3 and WMAL (lossless WMA) quadrants added.
Fixed: "Drag Audio as MP3" setting in the Plugin settings did not work when dragging a file to Windows Explorer.
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box Server was unable to communicate with BB2018.
Fixed: Choosing a drum kit file in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog would fail with error "Unable to install patch/drum map for...".
Fixed: Disabling "Include 2 bar lead-in" setting in the Render Song to Audio File dialog would cause videos to be out of sync.
Fixed: It was not possible to type the # sharp character into the chord sheet if using a French keyboard.
Fixed: Some Amplitube TGS files and styles were missing in certain installations.
Fixed: Song would stop playing at bar 8 after rendering to an audio file.
Fixed: The Practice Window songs would not load with error "This directory does not exist...".
Fixed: The Tip of the Day dialog was not displaying any tips.
Fixed: The Tuner, MIDI Monitor, and Drum Kit window were always displaying in English instead of the user's language.

Today is the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends at 11:59 PST TONIGHT!
It's your last chance to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Forum Stats
26977 Members
49 Forums
49726 Topics
407170 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Marz, Frank Gualtieri, David Carden, Jaymel, sidrat

26977 Registered Users