Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've got BiaB installed on two computers (one Workstation that is mainly used to assist with forum matters) and one with the Audiophile drive installed which is only used as an actual Music System.

The "What Add Ons Do I have" shows exactly the same between both systems.

However, the Workstation shows that it has significantly more styles available than the Music system.

There are no User Styles on either system.

How can I definitively find what styles etc are missing from the Music computer?

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
2017-12-20_15-08-11.jpg (184.84 KB, 156 downloads)
2017-12-20_15-10-14.jpg (42.78 KB, 156 downloads)
2017-12-20_15-09-40.jpg (184.37 KB, 156 downloads)
2017-12-20_15-11-06.jpg (36.74 KB, 156 downloads)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Using the command prompt (right click on the start, select run then enter cmd. You should get a black window with a prompt for the directory). Change to the directory that has your styles then type "dir > mystldir.txt" no quotes this will create a text file of your directory. Do the same in the second pc. Then import both into a spreadsheet and compare. In some word type applications you could do a simple compare.

It all looks like work but it is not too bad. That is a way I would check two directories but there may be easier methods.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes, not a bad idea Tony. I'll definitely give that some attention. I'm a little more interested as to why BiaB gives the same results when clearly there are differences. It will likely boil down to 49-paks or Xtra paks for sure. But the test should know these exist, even if not installed, and point out the discrepancies.

Thanks for your input.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Expert
Expert
Silly question, is the Audiophile version up to date with all the 2018 stuff?

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Should be, the only difference is supposed to be the availability of WAV files as well as the WMA files.

I'll be checking more closely though. I wrote a program a while ago that analyses the contents of an Audiophile installation and lists any discrepancies in file content.

Veteran
Veteran
If it's of any help, Trev I have just done this. I have 2 drives,one XP and one Win7, both latest 2018 507 but the Styles count was different. Win7 won with 6051 but I was nearly 100 down in XP.
So I created an Excel file, brought up the alphabetical Win7 style list which you can dump to Notepad and thence to Excel and then did the same with XP and dumped it following the Win7 one. Trimmed out the unecessary columns to keep important ones like name, date, Pack etc, then brought the XP set up alongside the Win7. Just scanning down, comparing Win7 vs XP and you can quickly spot the omissions. Or 'Sort' by Pack or date etc at will. Anything missing will quickly be obvious.
I'm sure clued-up Users have a shorter, more accurate way of auditing the two together but it worked for me.
HTH
Ian

Last edited by sixchannel; 12/20/17 02:31 AM.

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
If the two machines are networked so you can access both machines folders from one machine, kdiff3 (http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/) can compare folders and show what is different.

Expert
Expert
I just did a simple test.
I have removed randomly 3 styles from MIDI set #61.
Rebuilded the style data base.
Restarted BIAB and checked what addon's do I have : 'You have all of the Style disks (unless we've made some new ones)'.

Everybody will make its own conclusion.

Reach for excellence
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:
Restarted BIAB and checked what addon's do I have : 'You have all of the Style disks (unless we've made some new ones) have all'.

Yes, everyone's answers are very worthwhile and very much appreciated, but I think this is the actual issue.

The program itself does not correctly calculate what is there and what is missing.

I think I need to report this as a problem.

In the meantime, I'm off to Excel.

Trev

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Quote:
Restarted BIAB and checked what addon's do I have : 'You have all of the Style disks (unless we've made some new ones) have all'.

Yes, everyone's answers are very worthwhile and very much appreciated, but I think this is the actual issue.

The program itself does not correctly calculate what is there and what is missing.

I think I need to report this as a problem.

In the meantime, I'm off to Excel.

Trev

It'll look a bit like this when you do. Note _AIRILY is shown as missing on this screenshot page.
AND - I have no idea why the Set / Packs show differently one to the other. lol!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
6051-Win7 vs XP.JPG (164.73 KB, 91 downloads)
Last edited by sixchannel; 12/20/17 04:18 AM.

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Trev,

If you click on the Category button under the Filter String box, you'll be able to see how many styles you have in each category on each machine. Once we know which categories are missing styles, it won't be too hard to figure out exactly what's missing.

Feel free to give our tech support line a call tomorrow if you need a hand with this.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: John-Luke
Restarted BIAB and checked what addon's do I have : 'You have all of the Style disks (unless we've made some new ones)'.

Everybody will make its own conclusion.

It would be great for PG music to verify user purchase data in a more up to date fashion. In other words, do away with the "unless".

PG music knows what it has sold, knows what I have purchased and could confirm what is on my machine.

Quite possibly it could be a revenue enhancing feature.
After over 2 decades of purchasing BIAB, I would like to know I have access to all I have purchased.

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Kent
I've been installing everything I can find, and have reduced the discrepancy.
However, the missing styles seem to be from just about everywhere:

2017-12-21_15-20-25.jpg (303.51 KB, 85 downloads)

Veteran
Veteran
Why not just COPY the larger count style folder to the SMALLER count style folder? no harm no foul.

Actually I NEVER install BIAB I just COPY the ENTIRE desktop \BB folder (and \Realband and \PT) onto other PC/laptop. Minus the need to re-activate and thus decrementing that count, they are IDENTICAL in every way, never an issue - ever.

==================
I’ve been accumulating in the same (virtual) desktop \BB directory since DOS. Once we started getting BIAB on HDD’s and not just new versions via downloads, CD’s, and floppies (oh my!) here’s what I do:

First I install the DOWNLOADS onto actual working \BB directory on desktop (I don’t wait for HD to arrive). Then I back up entire BB folder (so I have all styles and RT’s backup) and Realband and a few others misc folders.

When new HD arrives I COPY, I do not move, I do not install the entire CONTENTS of the new USB drive’s \BB folder over to my working computer.

If there was an extra (good, bad, or left over/unaccounted for) style, RT, demo, etc. that’s on the this new factory HD that WAS NOT part of any download, as unlikely as that is, it is NOW on my working desktop.

I run BIAB make sure it all works - everything is accounted for then I make another backup (so yes now TWO backups of all RT’s, RDs and styles, aka the BIGGIES).

NOW I COPY the this final DESKTOP \bb folder to LAST YEARS external USB drives \BB folder.

and then COPY THOSE working FOLDERS onto my LAPTOP (now everything is 100% identical).

Yes if I used AUDIOPHILE RT's that would UN-DOABLE on a laptop and impractical on a desktop (but ONLY for the RT's themselves not the rest)

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/20/17 07:53 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You are absolutely correct Larry, and I think I've sorted just about everything out.

However, the real underlying problem is that the 'What Add-Ons Do I Have?' provides erroneous results. It states that the user has everything when clearly this is incorrect, and was further proven by John-Luke who deliberately removed styles with no change in the Add-Ons results.

So I would like PGM to improve the tests that evaluate the existence of all available files and provide a more accurate result. As mentioned also, it is likely to increase sales if users can determine that they are missing specific features.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
You are absolutely correct Larry, and I think I've sorted just about everything out.

However, the real underlying problem is that the 'What Add-Ons Do I Have?' provides erroneous results. It states that the user has everything when clearly this is incorrect, and was further proven by John-Luke who deliberately removed styles with no change in the Add-Ons results.

So I would like PGM to improve the tests that evaluate the existence of all available files and provide a more accurate result. As mentioned also, it is likely to increase sales if users can determine that they are missing specific features.

Yes indeed.
They gyrations users are going through in thready simply cannot provide definitive results. At best you can say you diff'd 2 lists of files for example. That is not the answer to "What Am I missing"?

I believe the ONLY way of determining which piece/part of biab you are missing is for PG music to tell you.

In most cases many of us are multi-year consumers of this product. At this point we are all in with biab. I know I am. If I knew definitively I was missing a bunch of real styles, I would probably buy them. As long as they weren't KLEZMER!!
I've got all I need of them.

More REAL FunK Styles Baby!!

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I'm pretty sure they're all KLEZMER. smile

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The discrepancy between the 'forum' computer and the 'music' computer discussed in this thread might have been due to not having installed the latest update patch on the music computer, as we added more styles in the patch.

You're right it would be good for us to improve the "What addons do I have" dialog so that it makes more sense for version 2018. To check if you have absolutely all Styles and RealTracks, currently the best way is to:
1. Make sure you have installed the latest update patch, so that the program knows about all available styles and is up-to-date.
2. Check in the StylePicker and see if there are any N/A styles listed.
3. Check in the RealTracks Picker and see if there are any N/A RealTracks listed.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Andrew for your time and effort to respond. It's appreciated.

I certainly have all of the patches installed. My problem apparently stemmed back to 2015/2016.

This is the first time I've put everything onto the BiaB USB HDD.

Working backwards, I eventually got back to 2015 / 2016 and added these files from my archives:

- xtra_styles_pak_1.exe
- 2016_49pak.exe
- 2016_8pak.exe
- 2015_49pak_1.exe
- 2015_49pak_2.exe

Then I ran the Cleanup Utility (each time).

After that I now have over 6000+ Styles

So it seems that What Add-Ons doesn't know about many of the paks that have been released. But it also doesn't know about missing Styles that are expected to be there, i.e. deliberately removed for testing the function.

Also, there appears to be no way to search for the string "N/A" in the StylePicker. Scrolling through 6000 Styles looking for a few N/A's is of course impractical. Too easy to miss.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,537
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200