Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
When you replay tracks, reload BIAB or hit regenerate it seems the RealTrack regenerates. When doing a multi riff you have seven choices. Do the RealTracks cycle through seven iterations or are they completely random.

Sometimes you get something that is brilliant then it steps to another iteration which is not as good. Is it possible to step though and regather what you had? Or is it lost forever?

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Its "random". However, some are more random than others it seems to me - and other users.
If you want to use a particular riff that you heard it is probably best to move your SGU into RealBand and you can use the multi riff feature in there to get the one you want, where you want.

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Beginners Forum
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for your reply.

So if I get something I like at the time I would do better to export the wav and the pull them into Sonar and sort them there. That way I could be sure of getting the best combinations. I could then comp the bits I like sounds like a plan. thank you.

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Much easier: freeze the track(s) that you like. You can stay in BIAB, or save/load the song, as long as you like. Then move the tracks you like into a DAW if you wish.

As to the randomness, I don't think we users know the answer. But if it isn't truly random (computers aren't), it's much more than seven variations. It's so many that in ten years I have never heard it 'cycle around'. I do hear phrases that repeat, but that's expected. Whole tracks, no, never.

I suggest you go to the Help, Index menu and look up Play Menu. This will explain the difference between Regenerate/Play and just plain Play. Also, look up Freeze tracks. Let us know if you need help.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Beginners Forum
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
The issue I have I am looking for the best or better arrangement so I like to regenerate but sometimes I feel a previous iteration was better. That is why I was thinking if it went through a set of cyclic iterations I could find my way back.

Saving the wav files seems to be the best option for me.

Beginners Forum
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Teunis,

Since every measure re-generates each time, you're unlikely to get the exact performance twice (for the entire track). If you open the song in RealBand, you can regenerate individual measures, in case you get something you like in one section and not in others.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Beginners Forum
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks to all. I think going to RealBand re generating the bits I want then when I have what I want saving the wav is probably the way to go.

Last edited by Teunis; 12/11/17 06:26 PM.

Beginners Forum
B
B
I have a very similar situation right now. I'm working out of BIAB, have volumes, setting, tracks exactly the way I want them. I just want to fix a couple bars on one track. So, in BIAB, I freeze the tracks, save the .SGU file and open it in RB. So far so good. I fix the couple bars on the one track (love this selective regen/multiriff capability btw). Now, the difference is I want to save that .SGU and re-open in BIAB (rather than gen the wav from RB...I have a legitmate reason for doing that...short term at least). When I re-open the file in BIAB, my saved volumes/settings are gone. Is there a proper way to save and get the .SGU from RB into BIAB which keeps those settings in tact? I've been using BIAB on/off for ~2 years, but last night was my first foray into RB. Thanks in advance.

Band In A Box Windows 2018 Ultra Pak
Windows 2007 x64
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
When you go back from RB to BIAB, as I understand it, you are only going to get the information related to the chord grid and style, and it will regenerate back in BIAB. RB will not send over it's audio content from the tracks. The only tracks that come over will be MIDI soloist and melody tracks.

RealBand has no concept of frozen. Everything will come back into BIAB unfrozen and it will regenerate according to the style.

Just the way it is.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I am lost once again. Can the SEQ files that come from RealBand be opened by BIAB? I didn't think they could.

Tony

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
You can save a SEQ file as an SGU or MGU file, which BIAB can then open. However, the audio tracks in RealBand will not transfer back to BIAB tracks (except perhaps the BIAB audio track; not at my machine right now to test that). But RealBand will create a file with the information about the style used, the tempo, the chord progression, the soloist/melodist track MIDI notes, and a few other things (such as lyrics). But it won't overlay work you have done on a track in RealBand back into the BIAB file.

Then, you can open that SGU or MGU in BIAB; it will then generate a new arrangement based on the style selected, with the chord progression that it imported.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi BoxMan
You may find for what you want to do you would be better adjusting the volume of the bars on the tracks you want better in biab. By using the volume up down setting in the bar settings menu F5 or right click on bar want to change, here you can choose the track and adjust its vol by a negative amount. At the bar want to return to normal or adjust back up .
You can only do this for bars not individual notes.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Boxman,
What is your 'legitmate reason' for wanting to take the file back to BiaB?

Just curious, as there may be a way to do what you want in RB still. There is a lot to learn in RB, especially if you come from a BiaB background as opposed to a DAW.

You can do some pretty cool stuff, some of it BB related, some totally different.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BoxMan
When I re-open the file in BIAB, my saved volumes/settings are gone. Is there a proper way to save and get the .SGU from RB into BIAB which keeps those settings in tact?

if you just want to know how to preserve a mixer setup in BBox in general, you could try use the "Save Current Mix as Default " under the Master menu. Then you can always apply that saved setup onto any songs in BBox you want.

Last edited by Icelander; 12/19/17 02:06 PM. Reason: correcting mistakes.

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
Beginners Forum
B
B
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not really bringing the tune into RealBand to adjust volumes, I am doing it to fix/improve a couple bars of one of the Real Tracks. Ideally, I would like the volumes, and all tracks to be in place when I save the file in RealBand and then re-open it in BIAB. Even if I could make the corrections and have the tracks remain, I could then reset the volumes back in BIAB. But the track doesn't preserve, so i'm not left with a lot of options.

Windows 2007 x64
Beginners Forum
B
B
My disclaimer is that it is "legitimate" at least in my mind smile

I have a ton of other backing tracks which I have done in BIAB exclusively, including wav file rendering. I played around a long time to make sure I head the volume of the wav's very close between those tracks which included multiple types of styles/songs. I'm outputting to basically one channel, so I can't mix the tracks individually at a gig. And also, I have a pretty significant gig coming up where I don't want to take any chances on the levels of this track being off with the others i've done and refined over the past 2 years.

I do realize there are normalizers that would even out the levels...in theory. Just don't want to take any chances short term. Long term, I see the future is to create the basics in BIAB and do partial regens/finalize/mix/render in RealBand (or similar), I just don't have that luxury right now...at least to meet my comfort level. I found that with various hall/room types, what I am hearing out of my desktop configuration in my office can vary depending upon the acoustics.

In a nutshell, i'm being cautious to make sure everything is consistent. In a couple months i'll have some time to start down the proper path...I think.

Windows 2007 x64
Beginners Forum
B
B
BTW, I just want to be clear...I am a huge BIAB fan. It's benefits far outweigh a few challenges I have. As far as i'm concerned it is a remarkable piece of software.

That said, boy I really wish they had the same ability in BIAB to pick riffs and generate partial parts of tracks...instead of the whole track. I'm going out on a limb and guessing I am not the first to express that sentiment!

Windows 2007 x64
Beginners Forum
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
There are many more experienced in BIAB than I but when I have a song pretty much set I export the .wav files bring them into Sonar that I have set up with the Master out having a limiter. I then output to a .wav that has all tracks merged. So with minimal adjustment the .wav file I shift to my laptop for the gigs I play. I have my guitar also going via the laptop using TH2 or sometimes Guitar Rig that way everything is preset and I stand and deliver.

As for adding bits I think RealBand does this well. Then I still export the .wav go into Sonar for the mix I want on stage but that is more through habit and the feeling I know what I'll get when it leaves Sonar.

I have also added parts in BIAB and muted the track until the bar I wanted used F5 unmuted and so forth.

There are many ways to skin a cat.

Enjoy Tony

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
It's been my experience that the generations are random and if you get a good one, you need to export it or freeze the track or risk losing it forever.

When I first started with BB/RT, I didn't realize this and lost so many good tracks that fit perfectly. I'd save the project for another day and when I reopened it, it would regenerate a totally new track. You can then only try re-generations to see if you can get close. Often, you won't get exact but you can find something new that works well.

And that's how I approach much of my recording. I don't sweat the small stuff. I have often deleted tracks totally and redid them with the understanding that I recorded a good track before and therefore, I can do it again and very likely, much better this time around.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Boxman, thanks for the explanation.

Being on a short time frame I now totally understand your legitimate reason.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195