Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Version 2018 (504), Release 1
RealBand Version 2018 (3)

When I open a SGU file it converts the BB tracks to normal tracks and loses the bar settings for volume changes.

Try to reenter them in the RB chord chart and they have no effect. Which probably makes sense because there aren't any BB tracks. However, opening the RealTracks panel from the Bar Settings panel and it says there aren't any RealTracks. All tracks are actually RealTracks though.

Is this a bug or is it a trick I am missing?

Is the only option to use volume automation?

Thanks.

Tim

EDIT:

IF you reenter the bar settings in RB and then select Generate/Regenerate All it seems to work ok.

Last edited by BigSugarHopkins; 12/15/17 04:02 AM.

Band-in-a-Box PlusPAK Upgrade (2018) on Windows 10
Live instruments: Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Fender Mustang III v2.
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Just a guess; check the Song Generations tab in Preferences:

On the song Generation tab, are the Allow Realtracks and Allow Realdrums check boxes checked?

Is the 'Autogenerate song when mgu file is opened' box checked?

Mine are, and I didn't experience the same result.
SGU opened fine here, with BB Tracks.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
OpenSGU-Fine.jpg (104.63 KB, 144 downloads)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Expert
Expert
HI Tim

Yes as above if I OPEN a sgu/mgu in Realband the first 8 tracks are BB tracks.
You can change them to non BB tracks by right clicking on the Track at the bottom of the list you will see an option to covert to normal tracks.

Are you sure you are not importing your file in this case any imported say midi tracks
Will go to track 9 and upwards clear of the fist 8 BB tracks.
Just a thought.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I checked to be sure I was opening the files and not using import.

See the reply to rharv for more details.

RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback. I did some more testing and took screenshots. I added captions to the screenshots so I hope they explain the context okay. The RB_tracks image only shows a link but you can right-click on the image name link and open in a new tab for a better detail view.

If I recall correctly, in 2016 and 2017 versions. Opening an SGU in RB from BiaB would load the tracks in the first 8 RB slots. Then you could use the convert to normal tracks option once you were ready to save to a SEQ file. Well, that was my workflow.

In the screenshots you can see that my original complaint of the bar settings not importing, in fact imported just fine with this song. However, my drum track is missing completely.

All the BB tracks are RealTracks. So where did the MIDI come from on the Piano and Guitar tracks?

I went back and checked the original file that caused me to post here and it still does not import the bar settings. The chord settings are okay. It also shows the same results in not showing the BB tracks as BB tracks but does add MIDI on some tracks.

There seems to be some real inconsistencies in opening SGU files in RB at this point. I hope they can fix and/or document these "features" as I really like the integration between BB and RB and is one of the reason I use BB.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB_settings.png (50.94 KB, 121 downloads)
The RB Settings.
BB_new_SGU.png (158.09 KB, 121 downloads)
A new BB SGU file w/mixer showing the tracks.
RB_tracks.png (505.96 KB, 4 downloads)
RB Tracks showing the tracks view results of opening the new SGU.
RB_chords.png (474.77 KB, 121 downloads)
RB Tracks showing the chords view results of opening the new SGU.
RB_open_a_BB2016_SGU.png (397.21 KB, 124 downloads)
A 2016/2017 BB SGU opened in RB 2018.
Last edited by BigSugarHopkins; 12/16/17 11:41 PM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
All the BB tracks are RealTracks. So where did the MIDI come from on the Piano and Guitar tracks?

Note the MIDI tracks are labeled RC .. are they the Real Chart notation for the associated RealTracks?

RealBand
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
First of all, I thought that was suppose to be normal behavior, because it's been puzzling me what the BB tracks are even for. I understand that I'm new, but I was wondering why sometimes the BB tracks are not being generated in the BB slots?

Windows 10 build 16299
2018 Ultra
Intel i5-3550 @ 3.3GHz
p8z77-v pro
RAM: 32GB
Roland V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbom/
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
In RB, when you open a BB file (in my experience), the first 8 are reserved for BB MIDI and RTs get added as needed further down.
The MIDI track can contain a RealChart, and here I think I get those generated at the very bottom of available tracks (last) which is different than some.

In my workflow, I always just make the BB tracks regular tracks right away so I can generate each one as I see fit easily (section by section or track by track).

In RB, BB track act more like the tracks in BB, in that you can easily generate all the BB tracks at once for a new rendition. You can't do this with 'Regular' or MIDI tracks; those have to be done one at a time in RB. But if they are BB tracks (blue) they can all be regenerated at once.

RB still makes you specifically ask for it to do that, instead of just doing it when you hit Play (and it also has to regenerate everything before it starts to play). This is what makes BB faster/better for some stuff. BB starts playing before it is done regenerating, so it is faster for the user. RB will finish regenerating before it starts playing.

Last edited by rharv; 12/18/17 02:24 PM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
To remove or add the Band-in-a-Box tracks got to "edit" tracks then chose one of the last two choices.

RB BiaB Tracks.jpg (195.2 KB, 85 downloads)

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for all of the tips and hints.
However, the two fundamental questions haven't been answered and I believe this is because it is a bug. This was not the behavior of previous versions.

When opening an SGU in RB, the bar settings aren't retained. Chord settings are retained.

When the tracks open they are not brought in as BiaB tracks, They appear below the 8 BiaB track slots.

Can anyone confirm this behavior in RB 2018?

So, should I file this as a bug report?

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, tried to answer what I could.

I would suggest contacting support about Bar settings, especially if you can provide examples.
As for the tracks loading where they do, this is what I see, and I think this is also still buggy, but mine is a bit different. I get 'RC' charts after the others at the bottom .. your RC tracks seem to be up in the BB tracks. (RC seems to be RealCharts but I don't see any good reference to be sure)
At least your RC tracks seem to show the associated RT in the name .. mine just show up with minimal labeling, and in a different location (see below).

Both of us get RTs listed after the 1st 8 BB (MIDI) tracks, but like I said, once in RB I usually discard the 'BB Tracks' feature right away, so I don't really notice the Bar Settings in RB.
My track order when I Open an SGU file in RB is below

Hope that helps.

RBGenerateSGU2.jpg (125.73 KB, 64 downloads)

RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: rharv
Sorry, tried to answer what I could.

I would suggest contacting support about Bar settings, especially if you can provide examples.
Both of us get RTs listed after the 1st 8 BB (MIDI) tracks, but like I said, once in RB I usually discard the 'BB Tracks' feature right away, so I don't really notice the Bar Settings in RB.
My track order when I Open SGU file RB is below

Hope that helps.

I sincerely appreciate the hints and feedback.

Yeah, comparing what we are getting seems to point to some serious inconsistencies. Sometimes I am even missing a drum or bass track when I open the SGU. :-(

I'll contact support referencing this thread.

Thanks.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran

RealBand
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: rharv

Thanks. Yeah, I checked for updates and applied the 508 update before sending a support order.
I pointed them to this thread as well.

Cheers,
Tim

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,481
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195