You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#447238 - 12/25/17 08:23 PM [RealBand] No sound in Kontakt
Trygve Larsen Offline
Expert

Loc: Philippines
Lately I have ben using RB a bit more for Midi and the other VSTi I have tried, works fine, but not Kontakt. I had that issue before with BiaB, until I learned from the forum that Kontakt must have Chanel 1 in order to work. RB is different here, as it does not have the same as BiaB, in the top, to select a forced channel. I tried right click on the track and chose channel 1 from there, to no avail. What am I doing wrong?
My tracks on Soundcloud; https://soundcloud.com/trygve-larsen
The Universe = Uni-verse ie one song.

#447248 - 12/25/17 10:28 PM [RealBand] Re: No sound in Kontakt [Re: Trygve Larsen]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Trygve,

We need more information.

How do you load Kontackt? Do you load it on each individual track?

Noel

#447249 - 12/25/17 10:49 PM [RealBand] Re: No sound in Kontakt [Re: Noel96]
Trygve Larsen Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Trygve,

We need more information.

How do you load Kontackt? Do you load it on each individual track?

Noel
Ok.. I right click the track, then go up to "Specific VSTi for midi track, and select Kontakt from there. When Kontakt loads, I select the VST I like to use and drag it over.. Another problem here both in BiaB and RB is that it takes a terrible long time before the VST loads... Any way to make it load faster?

#447280 - 12/26/17 06:53 AM [RealBand] Re: No sound in Kontakt [Re: Trygve Larsen]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Trygve,

It sounds like you need to do some homework on how to use midi with multiple channels. There's a great deal of information out there on the internet. While working with midi can be confusing to start with, once you can see how it works, it all makes sense.

Let's see if I can get you started...

Firstly, if you are setting all the different RB tracks to midi channel to 1 (which it sounds like you might be), you'll confuse Kontakt. Each midi track MUST have it's own, unique midi channel.

Then, when you load an instrument in the instance of Kontakt that's specific to the track you are working on, you need to make sure that you use THE SAME MIDI CHANNEL in Kontakt that your track is set to.

Here's an example using Philharmonik Miroslav (because I don't have Kontakt). The principle is exactly the same with any softsynth that is not general midi.

I'm going to put Philharmonik strings on RB Track 5.

1. Right-click on track 5.

2. From the menu that appears: (a) select a unique midi channel for this track (#1 on the image below, I'm using midi channel 6); (b) follow #2, #3 to load Philharmonik Miroslav.

3. Open the softsynth Philharmonik (#4) and make sure that the required String sound is added to midi channel 6 (#5).

Hope that helps get you going,
Noel

P.S. Loading time is a function of the synth. As I understand it, because Kontakt is one of the superior synths, the audio files used for the samples are large. This is why it takes time to load. (The higher the quality of the audio, the longer the loading time.)

#447310 - 12/26/17 11:10 AM [RealBand] Re: No sound in Kontakt [Re: Trygve Larsen]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Kontakt does not require everything to be on channel 1. when the Kontakt screen pops up, you click on the port (usually Input A) and select the channel you want to use as your input.

In BIAB, you can go to Options, Preferences, Channels to see which channel a particular track uses, and then you should be able to match the channel to the input setting in Kontakt.

Attachments
Kontakt MIDI Channel.jpg

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#447395 - 12/27/17 12:38 AM [RealBand] Re: No sound in Kontakt [Re: Trygve Larsen]
Trygve Larsen Offline
Expert

Thank u guys for trying to help me out. I have messed more around with it today and figure out something, but not all. There is some different Kontakt library that works just fine, others does not work at all and one, and the Chris Hein Harmonica works only on channel 1. It does not have a channel choice at all in it. The one that works well in BiaB but not at al in RB is the Rhapsody Orchestral Color. And I have tried all of the above advice. The strange thing is that I can see it getting midi signal, because the is blinking movement in the little midi channel circle to the left, and the voice numbers fluctuate up and down...

Maybe I just have to contact the Rhapsody company and address the problem? Or is it anybody else that have Rhapsody? And have made it work in RB?

Thank's again guys !

#447445 - 12/27/17 07:46 AM [RealBand] Re: No sound in Kontakt [Re: Trygve Larsen]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Quote:
There is some different Kontakt library that works just fine, others does not work at all

Another thing to consider is that Kontakt Libraries are not like general MIDI libraries and so the notes sent to it don't do the same thing as they would going to a GM library. For example, a Kontakt library may only respond to one octave of notes and other octaves may be used for key switches, for example.

So, you have to be very careful to send the library what it expects. If your Chris Hein library only works on channel 1, then just make sure that the track is set to channel 1. Sometimes you have to actually completely rechannel the track to accomplish that (just setting the track to channel 1 doesn't change existing data on the track, which may be, say, channel 3). You can rechannel the track to get everything on channel 1.

Also, if you have multiples that want to go to channel 1, make sure all of those tracks are defined to send to separate instances of the VSTi (Kontakt, for example) on different ports so they don't step on each other.

I'm sure you probably know all this, but it may also help others.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#447554 - 12/27/17 09:59 PM [RealBand] Re: No sound in Kontakt [Re: Trygve Larsen]
Trygve Larsen Offline
Expert

Yes, jford, aware of most of it, but that part;

"Also, if you have multiples that want to go to channel 1, make sure all of those tracks are defined to send to separate instances of the VSTi (Kontakt, for example) on different ports so they don't step on each other."

I have never had to mind before. But since I now work with remixing bigger midi files from Classical Music, I certainly have to learn how to do that... Thank's a lot for ur always helpful advises... wink

I just started to scratch the surface of RB, so I guess I will soon be back here with other questions...

#447584 - 12/28/17 05:25 AM [RealBand] Re: No sound in Kontakt [Re: Trygve Larsen]
Mike Head Offline
Journeyman

HI Leo

You may find this post I made last year helpful .
Although this is my way of working the settings hold true and may well help with you big midi arrangements

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=421946

There is also a printable version on my website below on my technical articles page

Mike
Magix Music Maker2014, NI Kontakt5 + VSTs

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mikesmusic/

#447611 - 12/28/17 07:11 AM [RealBand] Re: No sound in Kontakt [Re: Trygve Larsen]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Originally Posted By: Trygve Larsen
Yes, jford, aware of most of it, but that part;

"Also, if you have multiples that want to go to channel 1, make sure all of those tracks are defined to send to separate instances of the VSTi (Kontakt, for example) on different ports so they don't step on each other."

I have never had to mind before. But since I now work with remixing bigger midi files from Classical Music, I certainly have to learn how to do that... Thank's a lot for ur always helpful advises... wink

I just started to scratch the surface of RB, so I guess I will soon be back here with other questions...

Trygve, Chris Hein's harmonica can be set to any MIDI channel, not just channel 1, as previously indicated.

Are you working with a 64 bit Kontakt via j-bridge? If so, FWIW, I have found the j-bridge does not work correctly for every program. Note that this is using 32 bit VSTis in a 64 bit environment.

If you are working with large MIDI arrangements you will be much happier, IMHO, using a 64 bit system and DAW. YMMV.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#447763 - 12/28/17 10:20 PM [RealBand] Re: No sound in Kontakt [Re: Trygve Larsen]
Trygve Larsen Offline
Expert

Thank's Mike, will have a look at it...
Mario, yes, I have tried Reason, but don't have all the time to learn a new interface. Struggling enough with learning RB...;)

PG Music News
User Tip - Slowing Down and Looping Audio in Band-in-a-Box®

Forum user DeaconBlues09 created a video tutorial to help answer a fellow forum user's question:
Using the Audio Chord Wizard to tempo map, slow down, and learn the notes of an audio track - video link http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=R09Lf3bHjhQ

Forum thread: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=467504

Thanks for sharing!

#TBT - Band-in-a-Box® 2006 for Windows Ear Training Fun!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2006 for Windows we added two great games for ear training: Pitch Invasion and Music Replay!

Pitch Invasion helps to develop perfect pitch as you shoot down "alien" notes invading from above (you hear the note sound, and click on the on-screen piano/MIDI or QWERTY keyboard to shoot them down).

Music Replay develops your pitch, rhythm, and melody recognition by replaying what the program plays, in note, rhythm, or melodic modes.

These games can still be accessed with newer versions of the program - in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 you'll find these by accessing the Practice Window or Ear Training Window, both located in the Window drop-down menu. The Practice Window can also be accessed using the Practice button within the main Band-in-a-Box screen (don't see it? CTRL+T to change the view).

Learn all about the features released with Version 2006 here.

Video: Exporting Audio Files in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Our latest video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows - Exporting Audio Files Tutorial walks you through the different options to export your Band-in-a-Box® songs and song tracks from Band-in-a-Box® as an audio file (WAV, MP3, etc.)!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=_Px958TmzhA

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 516 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows customer can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#516

Summary of changes:
Improved: More RealTracks have HiQ transcriptions. Fixed Bass AmericanaSlow16thsByron bad chords.
Improved: The Audio Drivers dialog for WAS devices now shows Bit Depth in the device description.
Improved: WAS audio driver performance has been Improved when using 44.1 kHz sample rate.
Improved: Windows Audio Session error messages contain more specific information.
Updated: Misc. updates to StylePicker database, memos, manuals, help files.
Fixed: "BBW.LST not found" errors when using the Hybrid Style maker dialog.
Fixed: "mono" was being ignored when rendering a batch of songs to audio files.
Fixed: "normalize individual tracks" was only working for MIDI tracks.
Fixed: "One file per track" was being ignored when rendering a batch of songs to audio files.
Fixed: Access violation on bootup if using a Roland audio interface (ASIO) that is not connected.
Fixed: Adjusting Melody or Soloist tracks to fit a new number of choruses was not undo-able.
Fixed: An access violation error might occur in the RealTracks Picker if quickly scrolling and double-clicking to hear demos.
Fixed: Changing a track name using the StylePicker mixer controls might open a hidden popup window.
Fixed: Changing the number of choruses was not undo-able.
Fixed: Clicking on the far left of the Guitar window would cause a "!!!!!" flash message to show.
Fixed: If adjusting the number of choruses in your song, choosing Cancel is ignored when asked, "OK to adjust Melody track to fit new # of choruses?".
Fixed: JazzBebopDannyBrushes sometimes out of sync.
Fixed: Panning the audio track did not work.
Fixed: Some Amplitube presets/styles/demos pointed to a preset which wasn't available in some installs.
Fixed: Some typos and omissions in RealDrums Picker.
Fixed: The [.STY] button in the Hybrid Style maker dialog.
Fixed: The [Get Patch/Drum Kit Info] button in the MIDI drivers dialog would not find the synthesizer documentation.
Fixed: The About dialog was not showing the Fretlight Ready logo.
Fixed: The Audio Chord Wizard would always run in English.
Fixed: The busy mouse cursor might remain after analyzing audio with the Audio Chord Wizard.
Fixed: The PDF driver installer could not be launched from Band-in-a-Box.
Fixed: The Plugins window would be too small when using plugins that have a small GUI.
Fixed: Using a Coyote DXi synthesizer (eg CoyoteWT or ForteDXi) might cause crackling/buzzing noise during playback.
Fixed: Using a multi speaker layout (eg. 4 speakers surround sound) instead of stereo might cause failure to connect to audio hardware with error -9996. This only happened when using WAS as audio driver type.
Fixed: Video rendering would fail if saved using Japanese characters in file name.
Fixed: When saving a Hybrid style for the first time, the File Save dialog should start in the Styles directory.

PG Music Inc. Newsletter - Stay In-the-Loop!

Want to be notified when a new version of Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, or other PG Music Inc. products are released? Sign up for the newsletter at http://www.pgmusic.com/newsletter.htm.

If you purchased Band-in-a-Box® (or any other PG Music Inc. product) directly from us, you're already on the list!

Of course, we also announce new releases and specials on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pgmusicinc/), Twitter account (https://twitter.com/BandinaBox), and right here in our Forums!

Amazing Band-in-a-Box User Comments!

Great program with lots of support through the publisher and after-market. Use it for teaching, practicing, and gigging.
-Andrew L.

I just got my 6th film placement on a song recorded entirely in Band-in-a-Box. You guys rock!
-Terry Fernihough (Band-in-a-Box Endorsing Artist!)

I love this program. I have only had it for around a month but it has made things a lot easier for me. I no longer have to scour the internet for backing tracks. I just plug in the chords I want to use, find the style I want and done. Saving me so much time and being able to transpose into different keys is awesome too.
As the days go on I will be delving deeper into what it can do, importing some of my backing tracks into Abelton 9 to play with and writing some songs.
Best money I have spent on something in while.
-Peter S.

I started using Band-in-a-Box around 1990. It was the DOS version naturally and I used one of those old portable computers with dual floppy drives and a built in 9" monochrome display. I connected midi cables to a great sounding Yamaha keyboard and played my music using midi tracks. I did a demo for a university music class that was a lot of fun. Wow, it is almost unimaginable to see where this product has elevated to today. I have upgraded many times over the past 28 years but each time I am even more amazed. Thank you PG Music for being such a major part of my love for music all of these years!!!
-Dwayne G.

Incredible Software. Great for ignorance and experts and for anyone who wants to deal with music. If you do not have a hobby and want to have one "band in a box" is the best choice. Simple, but if you want to be an expert on it, you need to make an effort to master it perfectly for perfect use. The only disadvantage is if you do not want to become a musician, and use it, you will become a perfect musician. Therefore, be cautious. It's not a toy.
-Ilija B.

I’ve been using it for about the same time (20 years). I’m a trumpet player and just really want some backing on lead sheets. With the Real Styles - it sounds fantastic! Takes just minutes to input chord changes and find the right style. There is so much you can do and I love having the Soloist features to really add color.
-Mike B.

Read even more great feedback here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Danish Edition for Windows® is Here!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=win&lang=da

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 til Windows er klar!

Vi har haft travlt, og har tilføjet mere end 50 nye funktioner og en fantastisk samling af nyt indhold, bl. a. RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studies, Loops, Artist Performances, Amplitube presets og dertil hørende stilarter, 12-tonearter RealTracks og Hi-Q Guitar Notation! Vi har tilføjet 202 nye RealTracks, hvilket er det dobbelte af de 101, vi ofte tidligere har udgivet! Vi introducerer Video RealTracks (40 i genrerne Country, Pop, and Jazz), som fungerer helt som RealTracks, men også har videoer af musikerne, mens de spiller! Vi har også lavet en ny Xtra Styles PAK 4 med 160 nye Xtra Stilarters. (Xtra stilarter er stilarter baseret på tidligere udgivne RealTracks). Der er mere end 200 nye RealStyles baseret på vores nye RealTracks bl.a. Americana, Klezmer, Top-40, Jazz stryger pads, Vokal (ooh og aah), Ny Crooner "Shout" BigBand stilart og meget mere! Vi har en Bonus 49-PAK med 40 ekstra ikke tidligere udgivne RealTracks foruden de 202 ovenfor nævnte, så alt i alt er der 242 nye RealTracks til rådighed! Bonus 49-PAK indeholder også Video RealTracks sæt 1 og 2, 32 nye MIDI SuperTracks, 108 nye Instrumental Studies, 52 Loops og 8 Artist Performances.

Forum Stats
27389 Members
49 Forums
51151 Topics
422449 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
lugolatino, paulbeuning, Victor Frankl, spooky67, naeryn

27388 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 192
Matt Finley 154