You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#432908 - 10/09/17 05:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] macOSX High Sierra - Quote from Macworld (Oct 2017)
Beachboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Australia
Software issues

Apple announced at WWDC that the company will start to phase out support for 32-bit software in macOS. In January 2018 (High Sierra will be released months before that), new apps submitted by developers to the App Store must be 64-bit apps. Also, all apps and app updates must be 64-bit by June 2018. Eventually, 32-bit support will no longer exist in macOS, probably in a version after High Sierra.

That’s important for developers to note, but it’s also important for users. If you have old software you like to use and never update, it’s possible they are 32-bit apps and they won’t work in a future version of macOS. Now’s the time to update those apps and get used to them, or find alternatives.

#432919 - 10/09/17 06:58 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: macOSX High Sierra - Quote from Macworld (Oct 2017) [Re: Beachboy]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

That's Apple for you, every update something don't work anymore or you need the latest cat or mountain range for it to work !

But on Windows10 you can run Win95 apps:

Last week's Apple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2GfKUi9ghM

#432922 - 10/09/17 07:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: macOSX High Sierra - Quote from Macworld (Oct 2017) [Re: Pipeline]
Beachboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Australia
lol smile Simpsons seriously funny, as per usual.
Yes, for anything beyond track generation in BIAB I use the Windows version via Parallels.
That said, Logic, Cubase, Ableton work like a charm on OSX (Yeh, I know too many DAWs...)
In fact everything seems to (except BIAB) smile
My wife had a MAC for years and I didn't have much time for it, preferred Windows/PC's, probably because I was an IT Tech who worked with its Hardware and Software.
Made the switch to the "dark side" several month's back (for music production) and am still in the love affair stage. No more wrestling with drivers etc. mmmm heaven smile
Doubt that I'll ever go back, all to easy, as long as you have the initial deep pockets smile
Col

#432926 - 10/09/17 10:11 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: macOSX High Sierra - Quote from Macworld (Oct 2017) [Re: Pipeline]
w Offline
Journeyman

Loc: somewhere in outer space

Quote:
That's Apple for you, every update something don't work anymore or you need the latest cat or mountain range for it to work !

I fully understand what you are saying and the humorous point .

In my 40 plus years of using Apple Operating Systems software and third party software that has always been the case .

Who today, except us old geeks remember for example OS 6 or OS 7.5 and the days of using floppy disks. . That's progress .

Even Mac's Band in a Box has gone and is going thru tremendous changes .

Mac BBox 2017 Audiophile, MOTU Digital Performer, Steinberg Cubase, Apple Logic Pro...and many more that i really have too many...

#435780 - 10/29/17 10:12 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: macOSX High Sierra - Quote from Macworld (Oct 2017) [Re: Beachboy]
Mike Halloran Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sillie Con Valley, California
Blaming Apple is ridiculous. BIAB should have been 64 bit years ago like nearly every other app.

Looking at all of my current, supported apps to see how many are not 64 bit in About this Mac/System Report/Software.... Only one isn’t. Yep, it’s BIAB 2017 Audiophile. 2017? Really? C’mon, even Finale made the change last year.

It’s bad enough that I paid all this money to find that the Mac version lacks some of the Windows functionality such as Piano Roll editing or that the Lyric editor still doesn’t work.

No doubt that 64 bit will be the big feature of the next version and that I’ll shell out the $$$ to upgrade my Audiophile version just so that it will work in the next OS.

I’d rather you sell me the 2018 upgrade because it has all these new features that I want; not because I have to.

If my copy was years old like, say Office 2011, I’d suck it up. I’ve been a Mac user since 1986 and have had many software and hardware upgrades over 31+ years. The only other app I recall having a paid upgrade every year due to the OS was BIAS Peak and I pulled the plug on that over a decade ago.

I only do Windows when my day job requires it. That’s not been an issue for me since 2009 and there’s no way I’ll switch back.

Edited by Mike Halloran (10/29/17 10:20 AM)

#447364 - 12/26/17 03:51 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: macOSX High Sierra - Quote from Macworld (Oct 2017) [Re: Mike Halloran]
Islansoul Offline
Journeyman

Loc: St. Petersburg , FL
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Blaming Apple is ridiculous. BIAB should have been 64 bit years ago like nearly every other app.

Looking at all of my current, supported apps to see how many are not 64 bit in About this Mac/System Report/Software.... Only one isn’t. Yep, it’s BIAB 2017 Audiophile. 2017? Really? C’mon, even Finale made the change last year.

It’s bad enough that I paid all this money to find that the Mac version lacks some of the Windows functionality such as Piano Roll editing or that the Lyric editor still doesn’t work.

No doubt that 64 bit will be the big feature of the next version and that I’ll shell out the $$$ to upgrade my Audiophile version just so that it will work in the next OS.

I’d rather you sell me the 2018 upgrade because it has all these new features that I want; not because I have to.

If my copy was years old like, say Office 2011, I’d suck it up. I’ve been a Mac user since 1986 and have had many software and hardware upgrades over 31+ years. The only other app I recall having a paid upgrade every year due to the OS was BIAS Peak and I pulled the plug on that over a decade ago.

I only do Windows when my day job requires it. That’s not been an issue for me since 2009 and there’s no way I’ll switch back.

Same too. I gonna buy a windows computer just for work.
music producer/engineer

#449139 - 01/04/18 07:04 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh] Re: macOSX High Sierra - Quote from Macworld (Oct 2017) [Re: w]
Mike Halloran Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sillie Con Valley, California
Originally Posted By: w
In my 40 plus years of using Apple Operating Systems software and third party software that has always been the case ...
40+ years?

Not too many of us around who remember the Apple 1. I don’t recall any 3rd party software for it, however — or the first version of the Apple 2 either.

Edited by Mike Halloran (01/04/18 07:08 PM)

PG Music News
Song Titles Brower Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows!

In 2016, we added the Song Title Browser feature to the StylePicker within Band-in-a-Box, which filters the styles listed using your criteria: familiar song title, artist name, genre type.... with Version 2018 we made it even better!

We've added 2,000 new song titles, the option to filter the lists, added subgenres, and more! Visit http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm to see all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows.

YouTube Find - Triste - Hammond Organ + Band-in-a-Box®

Our latest search of "Band-in-a-Box" on YouTube has delivered some great videos, including this one by YouTube user Keith Horton!

YouTube Video - Triste - Hammond Organ + Band In A Box

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Features a Cleaned-up BB Folder

If you've used previous versions of Band-in-a-Box®, you may have noticed a lot of different files and folders within the "BB" folder for the program - after years and years of development there are up to 10,000 files for an UltraPAK! With Version 2018, we've cleaned it up - but you're not losing anything - the cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually if you'd like - just select the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine...

Review all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson

One of our just-released RealTracks Sets features the award winning harmonica player Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson!
RealTracks Set 283: Jelly-Roll Country Harmonica

Add his harmonica playing to your Band-in-a-Box song for that soulful feel that cannot be matched!

Learn more about "Jelly Roll" Johnson and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Beginners Forum - Exporting from Band-in-a-Box® to a .MID File

Our Forum is amazing - an online community full of helpful program users, BETA testers, endorsers, and staff!

We include a Beginners Forum, which is a great place for Band-in-a-Box beginners to visit for discussions & resources!

This week included a very active post, Exporting from Band-in-a-Box to a .MID file. Visit this post to learn more about exporting RealTracks as .MID files, and see our friendly forum users at work!

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Forum Stats
26979 Members
49 Forums
49753 Topics
407409 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Anxing, robertgalp, sheski1, Frank Levingston, prasopal666

26979 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 408
Matt Finley 283