Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I know there is a simple way to do this, but I can't find it. I am using an RT for a song. I don't like the bass sound or the note selection. Is there a way to replace just the bass with a midi track?

Thanks. And Happy Holidays to all.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Veteran
Veteran
2018 Band-in-a-Box this is one of multiple ways:

On the mixer, click on the Patches tab

Right click on the RealTraks loaded into the Bass track. This opens a sub menu pop-up window.

Scroll down to "Select MIDI Instrument (Patch)" This opens another pop-up window.

Chose from the available MIDI options.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Assigning a MIDI patch to a track that contains a RealTrack won't do anything, as there are no MIDI notes there to play. The RealTrack would be unaffected.

The easiest solution would be to use the RealTracks Picker to pick another bass RealTrack, but if you really want to switch to MIDI, there are a couple options.

You can right-click on the track name and go to "Select custom MIDI style for this track", which allows you to pull any track from any MIDI style, but you'll need to know which MIDI style has a bassline you like.

I'd right-click on the track name and hit "Select MIDI SuperTrack for this track", which will generate a MIDI SuperTrack. That method is far easier.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Expert
Expert
Kent,

"Select custom MIDI style for this track"

I just recall you, that don't work for the DRUMS track in BIAB 2017. That has been confirmed by several users and reported to the developpers on june 20, 2017. Don't work neither in BIAB 2018. We hope a fix will fix soon this issue.

Reach for excellence
Veteran
Veteran
Also, it's possible to set a number of Realtracks to 'Simple arrangement' too. This might help get something more like you want.

You'll need to unfreeze and regenerate the track after this change.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
simple arrangement bass 2018.JPG (64.19 KB, 153 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Why not use a MIDI style?

It's one of the many advantages of MIDI. Don't like the bass sound? A few mouse clicks later, it's perfect.

Want that piano to sound like a clave? No problem.

Want that trumpet section to sound like saxes? Click, click, click -- done.

Want that distorted guitar to sound like a clean one? No problem.

MIDI is thousands of times more editable than audio - at least at this point in time and technology.

And with a good MIDI sound module, the tracks can sound 95% as good as the recorded instrument.

I'm not saying that the RTs are bad. I'm just saying that there are different situations and different tools. Sometimes you need a hammer, and sometimes a set of wrenches.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
I know there is a simple way to do this, but I can't find it.

This question is a good one. I knew when I saw this, that there is no simple way!

I have had to work through this in the past. In the case when you have a great group of RTs but you just need one of the instruments to go midi(for any number of reasons). I quickly found out that the RT Styles do not contain the info to generate a midi track. For that you need a Midi Style.

I am glad Kent jumped in quickly. While it is possible to insert the bass from a midi style into the single track, inserting a Super Midi Track is a simpler option since it behaves like a Real Track and a Midi Track.

Good lesson for us all.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Wow, I thought I was asking something that everyone but me knew. Turns out to be a little more complex after all.

As far as using RT vs. midi, I use both. I guess I am one of the few people in the world that thinks acoustic bass sometimes clashes with other things in the low end. So a little editing seems in order.

Thanks to all for the ideas. I will see what I can do.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
Wow, I thought I was asking something that everyone but me knew. Turns out to be a little more complex after all.

As far as using RT vs. midi, I use both. I guess I am one of the few people in the world that thinks acoustic bass sometimes clashes with other things in the low end. So a little editing seems in order.

Thanks to all for the ideas. I will see what I can do.

2b

The complexity comes from all of the available options you have to get the sound and notes that satisfy you from the BIAB program.

It's a simple problem with overwhelming solutions. ;=)

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/29/17 05:39 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
I understand that since a lot of the Realtracks contain underlying midi data, then that can be copied to a different track such as soloist, and then you can select any midi patch you want, though the results can be strange and I have never heard of anyone doing it in a song on here.

from Edit menu---copy special....copy/move tracks

if you do try this you will probably have to regenerate again, won't change the notes being played though

Last edited by musiclover; 12/29/17 09:29 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ive just done my first year with BB and renewed for 2018.I got it in the frst place because of all those lovely RTs and styles.Now im more used to it all i have realised that RT styles have limitations that midi styles don't. And there are twice as many midi styles than Rt ones.So i changed the way i start a new sgu by going looking for midi ones first.Then it's easy to dub in an RT if you want cos you can't do it the other way around.

BiaB2022PLUS,927. every extras pack I can find ;-),Sonar7XL,Win 10
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: WendyM
...So i changed the way i start a new sgu by going looking for midi ones first.Then it's easy to dub in an RT if you want cos you can't do it the other way around.

Wendy,

I often do something very similar.

When I'm first looking for song inspiration I regularly use many of BIAB's midi-based procedures such as styles, chord progrssion of style demos, melodist, soloist, etc. One of the really big advantages for me is that midi generates almost instantaneously and this is very useful when I'm fine tuning a chord progression (especially when the changed chord occurs well into the song).

Once I have my song's building blocks in place, I then move on to Realtracks. Sometimes I start with a style containing RTs and sometimes I simply add RTs track-by-track.

BIAB was sophisticated, highly developed midi-based backing software before Realtracks were invented and, as a result, there are many midi-based song creation tools that I find invaluable in building a song.

All the best for 2018!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Not to mention that it renders a lot faster using midi styles! More super midi styles please.

Windows 10 build 16299
2018 Ultra
Intel i5-3550 @ 3.3GHz
p8z77-v pro
RAM: 32GB
Roland V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbom/
Veteran
Veteran
If there is a perfect Real Style that works, I'll use it.

Most of the time though I'll use MIDI because if the MIDI style isn't perfect, I can edit it to as close to perfection as my skills allow me. And the more I do this, the better my skills get.

I can exaggerate the groove of a MIDI track, this goes great for live performance backing tracks.

Speaking of that, I can pump up just the snare or whatever I need to make it sound more live than a recording. Have you ever noticed when you approach a venue with a live band, you hear the bass and the crack of the snare first before you even enter? Live mix is very different from recording mix.

I can change instruments, and use different styles as needed for A, B, C, parts, and change instruments so it sounds like the same musicians are playing the different styles.

I can export to MIDI and use a MIDI sequencer/DAW to add song specific licks, change chord inversions to complement the melody better, rearrange some of the parts, put a real intro or real ending on the tune, add musical cues to help me with my live performance, change a few notes of any given track without the same instrument/mic/recording studio, add kicks, change any instrument or drum kit, and do so many other editing tricks to get the very good MIDI output into something really ready for prime time.

Through the years I have collected many different synths, hardware samplers, and sound modules. My Ketron SD-2 and Edirol StudioCanvas SD-90 usually get the bulk of the sounds. Bit players are my Roland SC-55, Yamaha VL70-m, Yamaha TX81z, Roland MT-32, Korg DS-8, Korg i3, Korg DDD5, or my Akai or Peavey sampler. But then I got my first synth in the 1980s (Korg DDD5 and then the MT-32).

The perfect clean guitar might be on one module, while the best sax is on another. I've got a Tele rear pickup on one synth module that might sound great but I also have LPs, 335s, Strats, and other guitar sounds. Dozens to choose from. And that's only the clean guitars. Other instruments work the same way.

The external sound modules have for all practical purposes zero latency (I think they are about 5ms +-1ms) and are always in sync.

Plus they are never orphaned. My first sound modules were purchased in the Atari ST/pre-Windows DOS/Motorla CPU Mac days, and they still work perfectly using MIDI cables today. So I don't replace, just add, and they never go obsolete by an OS update. In addition, they don't tax the computer's CPU and never crash.

If I were to recommend a 'starter' sound module, I'd recommend the Ketron SD2. It has a great General MIDI sound set, a few other banks, and all the sounds are solid. Then when you can afford it, instead of buying a new soft synth that will some day be obsolete, get another MIDI sound module.

In most cases I can find sounds that are 95% as good as the real tracks, and in very many cases I can find sounds that are much more appropriate for the song I'm doing than what is on the Real Tracks.

This is not to dis the RTs though. When the RT is right, it's easy-peasy and sounds great. Depending on the song, I just try to use the tool that will make the song come out right, and I'm not going to ignore any tool.

In fact, I have been known to combine MIDI and Real Tracks in the same song in my DAW. Sometimes using both tools is perfect.

BiaB is an immense, multi-functional app. There are so many tools in there to help make better music, that for me, I want to use whatever is best for the job.

And don't give me the line about MIDI sounds cheesy. Some MIDI synths sound cheesy, but you hear MIDI on virtually ever major studio recording - and it doesn't sound cheesy.

Excerpt from Electronic Musician (EM) February 2013 by Craig Anderton:

…Thirty years ago, at the 1983 Winter NAMM show, a Sequential Circuits Prophet-600 talked to a Roland JX-3P and MIDI went mainstream. Since then, MIDI has become embedded in the DNA of virtually every pop music production (yes I stole that line from Alan Parsons, but I don't think he'll mind)…

IMO it's foolish to overlook MIDI in favor of the Real Tracks, but instead to use them both, either one or the other or both to make the music sound better. And the more you play with your Band-in-a-Box tool/toy, the better you will get at using the tool, and the better your music will sound.

I hope this isn't TMI laugh

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
Reminds of something I recently stumbled across on this site.

Quote:

Points to remember if you are comparing RealTracks to MIDI...
The term "RealTracks" means "Real Musician, playing on a Real Instrument." With our RealTracks styles, we have included the "musician" in the style, by actually recording fabulous musicians. On the other hand, MIDI styles just contain chord patterns based on a C7 chord, played by the keyboard player who made the style.
There are more MIDI styles in Band-in-a-Box®than RealTracks styles, so you might use a MIDI style because there isn't a RealTracks style available.
Mixing MIDI and RealTracks styles can be done easily in Band-in-a-Box. You can get the best of both worlds by doing this, and the RealTracks will usually make the MIDI sound more realistic.
MIDI styles are more editable than RealTracks styles. If you plan on doing a huge amount of editing, consider using a MIDI style. Otherwise, small audio edits can be done using a DAW like RealBand.

Then there's this
Quote:

What are MIDI SuperTracks?

Instead of MIDI styles based on C7 chord patterns that get repeated over every chord, the MIDI SuperTracks are based on actual playing by studio musicians. When you play the SuperTracks with your favorite MIDI synth or VST plug-ins, you'll hear great sounds using MIDI. MIDI SuperTracks are an excellent option for those looking for the editing and control capabilities of regular MIDI tracks, but with the added bonus of incredibly good MIDI sounds!

Windows 10 build 16299
2018 Ultra
Intel i5-3550 @ 3.3GHz
p8z77-v pro
RAM: 32GB
Roland V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbom/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,625
Posts735,217
Members38,522
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Steve Smith, Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich
38,521 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185