Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Here is an interesting overview of a technology designed for financial transactions may affect music distribution in our time.

Blockchain and Music

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thank you for sharing! I found this to be a very interesting read. Really gives some insight into the direction music distribution is headed, like it or not.

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
You are welcome, Deryk. I thought you might enjoy the article.
I heard about it from a stock analyst, and it had to do with IBM.
Now, just look at the ramifications.

Last edited by edshaw; 12/27/17 01:12 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing! One of my pet gripes on having my music digitally distributed by The Orchard is that, as an artist, you have absolutely no idea if the figures you are being fed are accurate or not. You just have to go on trust.

I don’t know if anybody saw the movie “searching for sugarman”. Sixto Rodriquez’s royalties for his South African sales somehow went missing and nobody knew how it happened. Rodriquez was hugely popular in sa and sold loads of records here. Rodriquez never knew this (because his royalties somehow got lost) and gave up his music career completely. Years later, at the age of about 70 and after an enterprising South Africa “found” him, he came to South Africa to perform and could not believe a packed stadium singing back ALL of his lyrics to him! Sad story really because he was a phenomenal songwriter.

Maybe Blockchain technology will finally give complete control and transparency to artists.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
E
E
I don't understand blockchain or this whole bitcoin hoopla . . . I choose to stay in the dark. I wonder what the Napster guy is doing these days?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
The article describes a model where:

1. Music media is encrypted.
2. Each playback of the media requires payment.
3. Payment is handled via decentralized blockchains.

This scheme requires the music consumer to pay each time they listen to music. This is a non-starter for most consumers - they don't want their music encrypted.

And while the payment is decentralized, codec and associated infrastructure isn't. That means that whoever controls the codec is the distribution channel. They have the ability to control who gets paid, and how much they get paid. No chance of abuse there.

It's a bleak scenario no matter how I look at it.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing! One of my pet gripes on having my music digitally distributed by The Orchard is that, as an artist, you have absolutely no idea if the figures you are being fed are accurate or not. You just have to go on trust.

CDBaby is the same, you basically have to go on trust.

But the big problem with digital music these days is that hardly anyone buys MP3s anymore, it is mostly streams. And not only do you make almost no money with streams (.002 from spotify and iTunes for a stream :p), it takes MONTHS after the stream for you to get the report. But, that's not CDBabys fault.

bandcamp seems pretty good for selling MP3s, I just uploaded our new CD there yesterday and already sold two copies. And that is just from people that follow us over there, we haven't done anything to plug it yet. They send you an email the instant someone buys a CD or a track, which is pretty cool IMHO.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We always look forward to our mega $75-$90 check from CD Baby every couple of years are so grin I don’t even bother to read where all the plays came from. We released the CD in 2003 (a trio with us and our friend bluegrass legend Randy Howard who had passed away in 1999). All proceeds went to cancer research. The CD sold well initially and charted in several markets. Within 18 months all the songs were ripped off and could be found in various places on the net for no charge download. CD sales died so we eventually went with CD Baby’s digital distribution. Is it accurate? I don’t have a clue but a few dollars here and there to donate in his honor are better than nothing I suppose.

I mention this only because it’s one of a zillion, but in this case personal, examples of what the “digital revolution” has done to artists.

Pardon the rant. Not trying to hijack the thread.

Bud

Off-Topic
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
No, you are right on the money with those remarks, Bud. It all gets down to basic, simple, transactions. A bitcoin is not a record, though. But, if you think about it, they could code in some kind of encryption, requiring the consent of a third party to enable the MP3. Problem is, the more they go there the more likely the same old thing is going to be encouraged; that is, bootlegged and pirated tapes.
Let's not go back to the guy in the parking lot with a trunk full of 8-tracks.
I recently attended an online investment seminar. The point was made that any time we see a prolonged bull market, as we are in, we always see a rash of "don't miss out on the next big thing." It is a human frailty and bitcoin (self driving cars, pest free corn, the list goes on) fits the description.

Off-Topic
L
Expert
Expert
L
Don't confuse Bitcoin with blockchain technology. Blockchain technology is basically a ledger that it distributed between multiple machines - a bit like an accounting ledger - that keeps a track of every transaction undertaken. Each transaction is recorded, checked and verified by computers busy mining to find new currencies. Basically the currencies are mathematical formulas that have a known number of solutions. Excuse my gross oversimplification. Bitcoin is the most well known crypto-currency and has seen remarkable price increases. I got into it rather late, but have seen between 50-150% increases in my $US investment over the last 3 months, depending on whether it was last week, the week before or today. I thought about getting involved in it a few years back. If I had, I'd be buying into PGMUSIC etc now. Other less well-known crypto currencies are also making spectacular gains and losses. Some people hold on to their investment/speculation (Hodlers) and others day trade. I like to think of it as a bit like horse racing. You can do your research and at the moment my ponies are doing ok. Blockchain and the technologies surrounding it (often trying to make it work better and faster) have the potential to transform our world in a way similar to the Internet and the WEB. It's the Wild West out there, but it is also a force for libertarianism and change. It's easier in HK because we have no tax on shares etc, so I don't have to fear explaining my investments to the IRS like those in other places. My investment is small, so if I lose it all tomorrow, I'll chalk it up to a bit of fun. I started with about $400 US and lost half of it in the first month. That initial investment is now about $1000 US. Not bad for someone who started in September. I didn't panic when it went down and after learning how to trade and set up wallets etc, I put in more $US. It sure beats the status quo where I get no interest on money in the bank and my retirement pension generally goes down in value thanks to the banks who manage these funds in HK and in whom I am forced to use by my employers and the government. One bitcoin is currently $18033.11 US as I write. Imagine if you'd bought them this time last year when they were below $4,000 US!

Last edited by lambada; 01/06/18 03:48 AM.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Off-Topic
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Here is an article on the Home Page of International Business Machines which addresses the current interest in Block Chain. A feature of the article is that it provides links to additional info, should anyone wish to follow along further.

IBM Home Page Article RE; Blockchain

Anyone who is interested, be sure not to overlook the short video on the page.

Last edited by edshaw; 01/06/18 05:01 AM.

Off-Topic
edshaw Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I am assuming forum members are following this technology according to their own interests and levels
of interest. I don't want to be overbearing about this,
and I know it is a little off our topic. Still, as I follow
along, this is a technology filled with surprises.
https://youtu.be/dufvrGuhQVM
Substratum is developing in video hosting.

Last edited by edshaw; 01/17/18 02:45 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195