You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#447537 - 12/27/17 06:10 PM [Beginners Forum] BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One
steve200 Offline
Enthusiast

Hi,

(I've posted 2 newbie questions to this forum so far, and have gotten excellent answers for both. Here comes #3.)

I am using the Pianoteq MIDI piano module to upgrade the sound of my Roland FP-7F keyboard. It is excellent.

Pianoteq has an awesome feature that it is always recording your MIDI channel. It offers you access to stuff you've played recently, without you having to start recording. This is great for quick feedback on your practice sessions.

Of course, unfortunately, that doesn't capture the biab backing track i'm playing with.

I have two scenarios where i want to record:
1) making a polished recording
2) quick feedback for practice session

For (1) I definitely want to use Studio One.

For (2) I could imagine there are other solutions. Is there a quick and dirty way to record the mix of biab and my playing thru pianoteq, using biab?

In any case, i experimented with dropping tracks into Studio One, but did not have luck.

I used the DAW plugin view. When I clicked on the Master track button at top, and tried to drag it, i got a "not allowed" crossed off circle icon.

What do i have to do to enable dragging tracks into studio one?

Here are my daw plugin settings:

steve200

#447612 - 12/28/17 07:18 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One [Re: steve200]
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Quote:
I have two scenarios where i want to record:
1) making a polished recording
2) quick feedback for practice session

For (1) I definitely want to use Studio One.

For (2) I could imagine there are other solutions. Is there a quick and dirty way to record the mix of biab and my playing thru pianoteq, using biab?

The answer is yes, but for "quick and dirty", "practice sessions" why do you want to record? Just between you and me, if you want to record go to Studio One. BIAB's ability to record is limited, while that is exactly what Studio One was made to do.
My suggestion is to get your workflow such that once you carve out a tune in BIAB you can drag and drop it into Sonar for recording your accompaniment. That should be your priority.

I don't have Studio One so I can't tell you exactly how to transfer content from BIAB into it. But I am confident when you discover how (you are just not pushing the right buttons - I use PianoTeq in both Reaper and BIAB going back and forth with a simple drag and drop), you will prefer that workflow for your recordings.

Good Luck, it takes some time to figure it all out.
SoundCloud

#447666 - 12/28/17 11:26 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One [Re: steve200]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Steve, 1- drag and drop the master to the center + window of the Drag and Drop. A prepare option for rendering will appear.

2-Click on Wav, Mid and separate files for each track.

3-Click on DAW in the Drag and Drop window.

4-Open Studio one and drag the + in BiaB's Drag and drop window to any empty area in Studio one's track window. All of your wav tracks as well as your MIDI track in then populate Studio one.

5-load your Pianoteq MIDI piano module in Studio one and you are all set.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#447727 - 12/28/17 05:02 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One [Re: MarioD]
steve200 Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Steve,

1- drag and drop the master to the center + window of the Drag and Drop. A prepare option for rendering will appear.

Thanks.

But, I can't drop the master to the + window in biab's drop area. When i try, I get a "not allowed" circle with a slash icon.

I found that I can drag and drop to Windows Explorer. But i got a message saying "Can't create .wav file because the file might already be open" or something like that.

Steve

#447744 - 12/28/17 07:02 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One [Re: steve200]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: steve200
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Steve,

1- drag and drop the master to the center + window of the Drag and Drop. A prepare option for rendering will appear.

Thanks.

But, I can't drop the master to the + window in biab's drop area. When i try, I get a "not allowed" circle with a slash icon.

I found that I can drag and drop to Windows Explorer. But i got a message saying "Can't create .wav file because the file might already be open" or something like that.

Steve

Are you using a PC or Mac? What version of BiaB are you using? I am using BiaB 2017 on a PC.

Note when I left click on the master I get the "not allowed" circle with a flash icon also but when I keep the left click down and move it to the + window it changes from that to a + sign.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#447790 - 12/29/17 04:01 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One [Re: MarioD]
steve200 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks again.

I am using 2017 on windows 10. Yeah, unfortunately, when i drag master into the + sign, it stays a 'not allowed' circle.

steve200

#447800 - 12/29/17 05:15 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One [Re: steve200]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: steve200
Thanks again.

I am using 2017 on windows 10. Yeah, unfortunately, when i drag master into the + sign, it stays a 'not allowed' circle.

steve200

Have you tried going into DAW mode prior to drop and dragging to the + window?

Have you tried return to factory settings?

{edit} an afterthought, have you tried running BiaB as the administrator?

Edited by MarioD (12/29/17 11:48 AM)

#450192 - 01/09/18 04:51 PM [Beginners Forum] Re: BiaB, Drag and Drop, Studio One [Re: steve200]
steve200 Offline
Enthusiast

i chatted with biab support. the solution to my problem seems to have been creating a folder called DragDrop in the bb directory

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

New Interactive Online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 Manual for Mac!

We've added an Online Manuals option to our Support page, where you can access an interactive online Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac User's Guide!

The Online Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window! Also available on our Online Manuals page is the PDF files for Band-in-a-Box® 2017-2018 Full manuals & Upgrade manuals.

User Feedback - Run as Administrator

Our Forum is a great resource for all your Band-in-a-Box questions (and a GREAT place to connect with other program users!)

Among the many forums available, we have a User-to-User Tips & Tricks forum - perfect for sharing your own technical tips and tricks for any PG Music product!

Like the recent post by jford: You Should Run BIAB and RealBand As Administrator!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - Over 25 Entries!

We recently launched an Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest with 4 prizes of $150!

So far, there are more than 25 entries! Have a listen to these entries and submit your own song here.

Contest Rules:
-You must own Band-in-a-Box® 2018 along with one or more of the Xtra Styles PAK 5 packages (Country, Jazz, Rock-Pop, MIDI)
-The song you submit must be your own original composition. This could be simply typing in chords to your song and pressing play, but you may also add additional instruments, solo, and/or melody.
-Public domain songs will be accepted.
-Multiple entries are permitted.
-Submit your song to the "Xtra Styles 5 Contest" forum, before the deadline. (This contest runs until September 30th)

For complete information on this contest, click here.

Forum Stats
27980 Members
57 Forums
53973 Topics
445788 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Intini, veman, Clair, Ivica Pencic, fuhawa95

27979 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 456
David Snyder 153