Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#446759 - 12/22/17 01:13 PM [User Showcase] If Now Was Then - Robert Cordrey Vocal and Lyrics
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
This song turned into a very special song for me. This song was born in 2014. I tried different styles, tempo, instruments and nothing worked. So it got put into the folder called maybe later.
The title was added when I was missing some of my friends and the early times in my life when all priorities had to have some kind of fun attached to it.

I discovered the song accidentally when I was looking for another song I had done.

I was recently having an email dialogue with Robert Cordrey and asked if he would be interested to adding a vocal and lyric to one of my instrumentals. I was thrilled when he agreed. He asked me to give him my thoughts when I was originally working on the song and he put together these lyrics. Definitely a bucket list moment for me.

If Now Was Then

a high wire between oceans
holding on at both ends
must have been a beautiful failure
though I didn`t see you fall my friend

you said starlight`s a memory
looking at me inside out
your arm around Oleander
hunter`s moon split the clouds
you sang that song you were writing
called If Now Was Then

I kept your insect in amber
with a question in its eye
the riddle of the gypsy girl
how to live and how to fly

did you burn up on reentry
Oleander found the answer leaving town
in the final moments
the hourglass turns upside down
did you finish that song you were writing
called If Now Was Then
did you finish that song you were writing
called If Now Was Then

I kept your insect in amber
how to live and how to fly

© Robert Cordrey Dec.2017

If Now Was Then

This song uses two different styles:

Style is _PBALCEL.STY (Pop Ballad w/ Cello & Guitars)

RealTracks in style: ~~683:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesPush Ev 120
RealTracks in style: 1856:Cello, Background PopCountry Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 838:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopBalladClean Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~703:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Spirited Ev 085
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

_DELUGE.STY. Deluge Heavy 16ths Rock
Instruments: El.Bass, El.Guitar, El.Guitar, Drums
RD: ROCK16THS^01-a:Closed Hat, Snare, b:Open Hat, Snare :Pat Steward
RT2755: Bass, Electric, RockHeavy16thsDoug Ev16 090 , Doug Elliott
RT2760: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockHeavy16thsHighMurray Ev16 090 , Murray Atkinson
RT2759: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RockHeavy16thsLowMurray Ev16 090 , Murray Atkinson
Memo: This even-16 heavy rock Style has a steady rhythm, with two electric guitars, electric bass, and drums.

Guitar Gibson Les Paul R9
Amp Purdy
Effects Maxon 808, Texas Tone Bone OD, Boss CS-2 Compression, Flashback X4 Delay.

Edited by Scott C (12/24/17 11:21 AM)

#446767 - 12/22/17 01:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: Scott C]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
Loved the vocal parts that opened the song and liked the guitars where the vocal break started.

I could barely hear the drums, however. If you turned them up a bit, this would be even better.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#446926 - 12/23/17 02:07 PM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: Scott C]
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Very nice work guys!
Loved the power break and solo!

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#447004 - 12/24/17 05:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: sslechta]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sslechta
Loved the vocal parts that opened the song and liked the guitars where the vocal break started.

I could barely hear the drums, however. If you turned them up a bit, this would be even better.

Thanks for checking out the song. I appreciate it. Thanks for the suggestion on the drum track. I bumped it up a bit.

#447049 - 12/24/17 10:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: Scott C]
sslechta Offline
Expert

Loc: St. Louis, MO. USA
That did it! Sounds a lot better!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2018, Pro Tools 2018, Korg N5, Proteus F/X, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory

#447212 - 12/25/17 01:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then - Robert Cordrey Vocal and Lyrics [Re: Scott C]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
Scott & Robert

Very nice work. Particularly liked the transition to the heavier section.
An excellent piece of music.

Peter

#447265 - 12/26/17 05:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: RnAM]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Very nice work guys!
Loved the power break and solo!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks for checking out the song. Was a real pleasure having Robert write lyrics for my instrumental.

#447336 - 12/26/17 01:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: Scott C]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Scott & Robert,

A very cool sound throughout. Somewhere between The Starship and Genesis. The lyrics fit that perfectly. The vocal, too.

Super guitar work, Scott. Really like the distortion/delay - "just enough".

An excellent listen.

(The vocal gets lost a bit at times, but I couldn't tell if it needed a bump in volume or a bit of EQ to separate it from the guitar bed)

Y'all are doing good stuff together. Enjoyed it.

fj

#447351 - 12/26/17 02:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: Scott C]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

This is the first time I`ve written lyrics for someone else`s song- and it was fun - kind of freeing, so thanks to Scott for being open to the direction I went!
Floyd; we went back and forth a few times on the vocal levels in the "heavy" section - not an easy balance to achieve.
Thanks to all listeners going for another round of Scott/Robert time travel!

#447384 - 12/26/17 07:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: Scott C]
44kfl Offline
Expert

Loc: Middletown, PA.
Cool collaboration

some very nice guitar

enjoyed the listen

Kenny

#447398 - 12/27/17 01:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then - Robert Cordrey Vocal and Lyrics [Re: Scott C]
bluage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Washington State
"Scott C" and Mr. Cordrey...

"If Now Was Then" is like a rock fever dream. It rolls in, and then out, like waves caught in a closed loop of rhythmic motion. And then, there's the poetry of the lyrics. They flash their hidden meanings like blinks of an eye at a burning sun. Listening to the song is like staring at a painting until it begins changing and morphing into one scene after another. It's a bit of an hallucinatory experience of words and sound that ends up feeling like it could go on, forever.

Entranced,

LOREN

#447412 - 12/27/17 05:22 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: sslechta]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: sslechta
That did it! Sounds a lot better!

Yes I agree much better. Thanks for the help on that. It is appreciated..

#447470 - 12/27/17 08:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then - Robert Cordrey Vocal and Lyrics [Re: Scott C]
Torrey Bliss Offline
Expert

Loc: Missouri
Scott/Robert, you guys produced a great sounding tune here! Scott, I liked how you moved the song to a heavier rock sound midway and the chord pattern is great! Robert's vocal lends itself well to this type of song! Excellent lyrics as always from you Robert! Thanks, Torrey

#447609 - 12/28/17 07:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then - Robert Cordrey Vocal and Lyrics [Re: Scott C]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Yep, the floyd mentioned Starship vibe is definitely there. Janice mentioned that it felt as though it was from one of the Dunes series.

Forum collabs are a cool way to create a musical synthesis of different ideas and performances - this is a fine example of that.

Great performances and write y'all.

Went down nicely with the morning cup of joe!

J&B

PS: Catchy title/hook

J&B Website

#447672 - 12/28/17 11:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then - Robert Cordrey Vocal and Lyrics [Re: PeterF]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Scott & Robert

Very nice work. Particularly liked the transition to the heavier section.
An excellent piece of music.

Peter

Thanks Peter for checking out the song. I appreciate it.

#447798 - 12/29/17 04:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then - Robert Cordrey Vocal and Lyrics [Re: Scott C]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nice one guys!

I always like the lyrics Robert writes:

"I kept your insect in amber
how to live and how to fly"

Great line!

I like the transition into the heavy part. Track sounds good, as does your guitar work. Overall a good listen!

Edited by BlueAttitude (12/29/17 05:00 AM)

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Latest song: Time Flies

#447823 - 12/29/17 08:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then - Robert Cordrey Vocal and Lyrics [Re: BlueAttitude]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice one guys!

I always like the lyrics Robert writes:

"I kept your insect in amber
how to live and how to fly"

Great line!

I like the transition into the heavy part. Track sounds good, as does your guitar work. Overall a good listen!

I agree with Dave. Some great lines lyrically and guitar wise. I like the repeating guitar signature. Good job to you both, Tom

#447836 - 12/29/17 09:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: floyd jane]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Scott & Robert,

A very cool sound throughout. Somewhere between The Starship and Genesis. The lyrics fit that perfectly. The vocal, too.

Super guitar work, Scott. Really like the distortion/delay - "just enough".

An excellent listen.

(The vocal gets lost a bit at times, but I couldn't tell if it needed a bump in volume or a bit of EQ to separate it from the guitar bed)

Y'all are doing good stuff together. Enjoyed it.

fj

Thanks Floyd for checking out the song. Thanks also for the comments on the mix. This was new territory for me. This is a real testiment to Robert’s skill as a song writer and vocalist as I had already done the solos for each section of the song. His lyrics and vocal were a perfect fit. Getting the volume blend right between vocal and the guitar playing was very elusive. Look forward to trying this again in the future. Mixing is quite an art in itself.

#447936 - 12/29/17 04:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then - Robert Cordrey Vocal and Lyrics [Re: bluage]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: bluage
"Scott C" and Mr. Cordrey...

"If Now Was Then" is like a rock fever dream. It rolls in, and then out, like waves caught in a closed loop of rhythmic motion. And then, there's the poetry of the lyrics. They flash their hidden meanings like blinks of an eye at a burning sun. Listening to the song is like staring at a painting until it begins changing and morphing into one scene after another. It's a bit of an hallucinatory experience of words and sound that ends up feeling like it could go on, forever.

Entranced,

LOREN

Loren,
Your review made me smile as I certainly drew on some "halucinatory experience" writing the lyrics!
I appreciate the way you dive right into a song and express your impressions so vividly.

Robert

#448011 - 12/30/17 06:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: If Now Was Then [Re: 44kfl]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Cool collaboration

some very nice guitar

enjoyed the listen

Kenny

Thanks Kenny Thanks for checking out the song. Was fun working with Robert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

Forum Stats
27629 Members
50 Forums
52259 Topics
432601 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
BjornTopo, lauzah, soucychapiro, rH7yB6bGKL, VTR8ve0Hhj

27628 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 198
Noel96 166