Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
OP Offline
M
I'm new to Band In A Box and this is irritating. Why are all the data files installed in the same main folders as the program files? How can I move all the data files to a separate drive (where data files from ALL my other applications are) and keep the program files on the C: drive, and preferably in C:\Program Files\ ?

My SSD C: drive contains all my applications, application data and system data. All my data files are on a larger (albiet slower) D: drive. EXCEPT, Band In A Box 2018 forces data and program files into the same main folder.

And come on! Put the BIAB program files in the program files folder where they belong! There's a good reason that write access is restricted in system folders like C:\Program Files\. Installing on the root drive appears to be sloppy or lazy programming; something I might expect from a $10 shareware app, not from an established mainstream application.

-Randy
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: el camaleón
And come on! Put the BIAB program files in the program files folder where they belong! There's a good reason that write access is restricted in system folders like C:\Program Files\. Installing on the root drive appears to be sloppy or lazy programming; something I might expect from a $10 shareware app, not from an established mainstream application.

Randy, Welcome to the forum.
The recommended location to install BiaB is x:\bb\
Where 'x:' is the drive you select, and for most users this is C:\
Nowhere else is recommended.

You are also very mistaken about installing in Program Files, and it appears you are not aware that there has been a paradigm shift from that methodology for many years now.

Microsoft themselves now no longer recommend the use of \Program Files\, and instead recommend creating a path at the drive level itself, or in the \Libraries\Documents\ folder.

So to be quite clear, the BIAB program files do not belong in the program files folder. You are incorrect on that matter, and while I don't work for the PG Music company, the way it is installed also does not reflect "sloppy or lazy programming".

It's a very workable and accepted implementation method.

Welcome again.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
M
OP Offline
M
OK, I apologize for the derogatory comments. I (and almost all of the software companies that I've gotten software from in the last 20 years) must have missed that paradigm shift.

I'm really not trying to flame anybody. I'm trying to find a way to install program files and data files on separate drives.

Whether program files are installed on the root or under the Program Files directory is really just a difference in organizational style. But the data files should be separate! I backup my program and system drive separately from my data drive. If the program drive crashes, I would normally opt for a fresh install rather than restore from a backup. But the data files can't be restored EXCEPT from a backup.

Keeping the data files with the program files means I have to be careful not to fill up my SSD C: drive. Meanwhile, my spinning D: drive sits with 750+GB free space. And no, I'm not installing the program on D:

I tried the steps in Support FAQ #166 ("Can I store the RealTracks and RealDrums on a different hard drive than the Band-in-a-Box® and RealBand program?"), but haven't been able to get past a few error messages, so I'll probably uninstall everything and reinstall to default with limited options. And grumble about paying so much for limited software.

-Randy
Veteran
Veteran
When you run the install program, there are options for where you want to install files.
Just perform a basic install.

Then create a folder, e.g. D:\bb\ on your D drive.

Move the C:\bb\drums\ folder to that location (D:\bb\drums\)

Then move the RealTracks folder from C:\bb\RealTracks\ to that location (D:\bb\RealTracks\)

Then in BiaB go to Options > Preferences RealDrums and name the custom folder
Repeat for RealTracks.

Your SSD has minimal data, your RealTracks and RealDrums are on your D: drive. You should be good to go. wink

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Online Happy
Veteran
Randy,

Unlike most Window program applications, Band-in-a-Box does not write any data entries into the Windows registry during installation. That means the program can run from anywhere including the primary drive, secondary drive, external drive or even a USB drive.

There are a few files, mainly fonts, that must be installed on the primary drive for the program to properly operate. Those files are installed by running "Setup.exe"

Band-in-a-Box and RealBand needs to know four file locations or paths. Where is the Band-in-a-Box (bb) folder? Where is the RealBand folder? Where is the RealTracks folder? Where is the RealDrums folder?

Since you've installed everything to your primary drive but don't want all the files on the primary drive create four folders on your secondary drive: bb, RealBand, RealTracks and RealDrums.

COPY everything that's in each primary drive folder into it's corresponding folder on the secondary drive. For instance copy C:/RealDrums to E:/RealDrums.

Create new desktop shortcuts for Band-in-a-Box and RealBand. Test to make sure both shortcuts work.

Rename the primary drive folders to something easy to recognize, for instance rename c:/bb to c:/abb, c:/Realdrums to c:/aRealdrums, c:/RealBand to c:/aRealBand and c:/bb/RealTracks to c:/bb/aRealTracks. Test your desktop shortcuts to make sure both programs work.

Once you're comfortable that everything is working correctly, delete the primary drive folders.

Rats! VT beat me to the answer. laugh

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
M
OP Offline
M
I tried those steps (same as described in Support FAQ #166, "Can I store the RealTracks and RealDrums on a different hard drive than the Band-in-a-Box® and RealBand program?") and green messages popped up saying there was no files where the files were (???).

Getting ready to try another fresh install. What's the difference between that method of copying/pasting program directories and just specifying installing the program to the data drive in the first place?

But that still doesn't address my basic question of keeping my content (data) files separate from the program files.

-Randy
M
OP Offline
M
My aim is to have program files installed on the faster SSD C: drive (yes, applications are a little more responsive and run smoother), and content/data files on the larger/slower HD D: drive. From what I can tell so far, PG Music doesn't allow for that scenario. What's the point of copying/pasting the whole directory to a different drive? Or more simply just installing to D: in the first place?

-Randy
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
My aim is to have program files installed on the faster SSD C: drive (yes, applications are a little more responsive and run smoother), and content/data files on the larger/slower HD D: drive.
An admirable aspiration.
Quote:
From what I can tell so far, PG Music doesn't allow for that scenario.
Unfortunately so.
Quote:
What's the point of copying/pasting the whole directory to a different drive? Or more simply just installing to D: in the first place?
You can probably do what you want, effectively, by using Windows' symbolic links. If you try that, I'd be interested to hear if it works.

Good luck and Happy New Year to all. -Ron

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
My aim is to have program files installed on the faster SSD C: drive (yes, applications are a little more responsive and run smoother), and content/data files on the larger/slower HD D: drive. From what I can tell so far, PG Music doesn't allow for that scenario. What's the point of copying/pasting the whole directory to a different drive? Or more simply just installing to D: in the first place?

As others have said it isn't exactly what you want but you could: (1) install Band-in-a-Box on your C drive, e.g. C:\bb. (2) Then once you've done that, move the C:\bb\RealTracks folder to your D: drive (it doesn't matter where on your D: drive, e.g. D:\bbfiles\RealTracks) (3) Then, in Band-in-a-Box, open the RealTracks Preferences dialog and select D:\bbfiles\RealTracks as your 'Custom folder'.

The RealTracks folder can be very large because it contains hundreds of large audio files. That is the main reason for being able to relocate it. The same thing applies to the C:\bb\Drums folder, though the Drums folder is much smaller.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Yes. That's what I had tried to explain. You can have separate program and data. It definitely is possible.

Veteran
Veteran
Hundreds of large audio files? Thousands!

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thank you, Andrew, this answered the question I had when I came to the forum. I just upgraded from 2017 and wanted to continue to use the external hard drive that it came installed on to hold all of the audio files, but was not sure how to do this until I saw your post. cool

I've been a BIAB user for almost as long as the program has been in existence. Love PGMUSIC!

Janet Stevenson

BIAB 2019 Win/Finale v25/Audacity
Yamaha Tyros 4/Yamaha P-115/Pianodisc Player Piano

https://www.facebook.com/janetstevensonsinger
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JanetStevenson
https://soundcloud.com/janetstevenson
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,646
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193