You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#448822 - 01/03/18 09:45 AM [Beginners Forum] Updating from 2015 ultra Pack
senn5 Offline
Enthusiast

Just received my 2018 Ultra Pack update on Hard Drive and just curious before I start. My old version is 2015.
Do I just go ahead and install over my older version? Any thing one should do after the install to refresh everything?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Happy New Year ...:)

#448829 - 01/03/18 10:03 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Updating from 2015 ultra Pack [Re: senn5]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I always install over the previous version, so that any add-ons I may have received over the years are preserved. The main thing with 2018, is that it does a clean-up routine and re-organizes the folder structure of BIAB (so there are not so many files in the main BIAB folder). Make sure the cleanup routine runs. Also make sure before you do the install that you know the exact location to do the install:

• location of the current BIAB folder
  • location of the current RealBand folder
  • location of RealDrums (if other than the main BIAB folder)
  • location of RealTracks (if other than the main BIAB folder)

One note of confusion during installation is the location of RealDrums and RealTracks. The installer program wants to know the folder one up from where they are located; however, when you run the BIAB (or RealBand) application, it wants to know the exact location of the RealDrums and RealTracks. By default, the installation location for both RealDrums and RealTracks is C:\BB (the main BIAB folder), whereas the program expects to find them in C:\BB\Drums and C:\BB\RealTracks, respectively.

But let's say you install your RealDrums and RealTracks to a different drive (on my computer, I have a folder called "D:\AppsData\Sounds\PGMusic\RealInst", with the Drums and RealTracks folders below that. So during installation, I specify "D:\AppsData\Sounds\PGMusic\RealInst" for both RealDrums and RealTracks. But then when I open BIAB (and RealBand) and specify the alternate location, I have to type "D:\AppsData\Sounds\PGMusic\RealInst\Drums" and "D:\AppsData\Sounds\PGMusic\RealInst\RealTracks" respectively.

I hope that made sense.

Good luck and have fun.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#448830 - 01/03/18 10:05 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Updating from 2015 ultra Pack [Re: senn5]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Hello. You will love the improvements. One thing: the interface that was introduced in version 2017 may seem odd at first, so remember Ctrl+T changes between old and new.

Yes, you should normally install right over your existing version. This keeps any user styles, bonus paks, songs etc. in place.

You will notice that the install will do a Cleanup routine and rearrange the files in the /BB folder into more sensible subfolders. If you ever install any other add-ons that were made prior to 2018, you should run the Cleanup utility in the /Data folder again.

The new audio driver defaults to WAS (WASAPI). Some people have had difficulty with sound and found that their old MME or ASIO driver was a better choice.

Other than that, everything should seem familiar enough.

EDIT: I concur with everything John wrote while I was posting.

Edited by Matt Finley (01/03/18 10:07 AM)
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac Pro]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & 6" monitors.

#449005 - 01/04/18 06:52 AM [Beginners Forum] Re: Updating from 2015 ultra Pack [Re: senn5]
senn5 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help guys. Installed everything last night and seems to work just fine. I didn't have enough time actually play with much but looking forward to learning the new interface.
Thanks again for your time.

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Tutorials - How to Install Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Here are some tutorial videos we've created to help you install your Band-in-a-Box® purchase.

Our Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, and PlusPAK are delivered as a download, on DVD, or on a 32GB USB flash drive.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from DVD: click here to watch.

Installing Band-in-a-Box® from the 32GB flash drive: click here to watch.
Your flash drive shipment also includes a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

The Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK is available as a download or shipped on a portable hard drive. When you receive the hard drive version, there are a few different installation options:

Option #1 - Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to watch.

Option #2 - Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks and RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to watch.

Option #3 - Install Band-in-a-Box® AND RealTracks on your computer hard drive: click here to watch.

All of these videos are available on our YouTube Channel or Videos support page.

Video - Making A Song in Band-in-a-Box® 2018

Ever wonder how to create a song in Band-in-a-Box®? We start off with the basics in our latest video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

Windows users: click here | Mac users: click here

RealTracks Patch Update for Windows Users

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest RealTracks update patch (519) here.

This patch includes some RealTracks audio updates we have made since the release of Band-in-a-Box 2018. 2018 users should be sure to download the latest Band-in-a-Box 2018 update patch (519), as that patch includes the bulk of the fixes for RealTracks released with 2018. This is a larger download than typical because it updates the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks audio files. There is more information and Audiophile patches available here.

Summary of RealTracks Audio updates:
Improved: There were small issues with the tuning of several Bass styles. This has been fixed for both the original mix and the direct input mix. This affects the following RealTracks:
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow16thsByron Ev16 060
- Bass, Acoustic, AmericanaSlow128Byron Sw 040
- Bass, Acoustic, RockabillySwingByron Sw 190
- Bass, Acoustic, BluesyPopByron Ev 100
Improved: Audio glitches have been removed from the ends of phrases in the Vocal Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Patch Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows users can download the latest (free) update patch (519) here.

Summary of changes:
Added: Additional dialog available for detailed information in the StyleMaker (fields for memo, examples, and other parameters). These are set in the StyleMaker (more dialog, a button called "Style Memos etc").
Added: Help Video button Added to the Audio Harmony dialog.
Improved: ABC opening improvements with some accidentals, and leadin bars that occur in middle of song.
Improved: Audio harmonies now used Improved algorithms, and can be easily set using N voices above, M voices below (and have additional functions like duplicate melody, and dup. melody octave below).
Improved: Lyrics will be now read from .mid files that used to be karaoke files (.kar) and got renamed somewhere along the line.
Improved: Support for RealTracks that should be transposed only lower (ie heavy metal guitars) and for future Improved metal guitar comping.
Improved: The Audio Harmony Dialog has been rearranged to be more intuitive when using Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: Audio harmonies might be missing some notes.
Fixed: Audio harmonies would be generated with the wrong notes if selecting a range of audio in the middle of the track.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box might crash on bootup with error "Read Beyond end of file".
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box should show message if the latest VJT application is not installed when the user tries to render videos.
Fixed: File > Open Special > Open Audio was importing audio instead of opening it in a new song.
Fixed: In the Bar Settings window, "Chordsheet and Notation - Start a New Line" should say "Notation - Start a New Line".
Fixed: It was not possible to record audio using WAS audio drivers if "Output always on" was disabled.
Fixed: Misc. RealTracks updates.
Fixed: Quicklist drums picker sometimes showing too many drums in the list.
Fixed: Redundant flash messages were showing.
Fixed: Removing a custom drums from a track would still display Drums as the name of the loop in the track.
Fixed: Rendering audio while there is a region of bars highlighted in the chord sheet might cause a crash.
Fixed: Saving a MIDI file would fail unless saving as type 1.
Fixed: Some 12-key RealTracks were incorrectly set to allow transposition.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog needed some hints.
Fixed: The Audio Harmony dialog was missing the new Band-in-a-Box Intelligent Mode.
Fixed: The VJT application should print out its version number in log files.

Tutorials - How to Install Your Band-in-a-Box® for Mac Hard Drive

When you have your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac UltraPAK shipped to you on a portable hard drive, there are a few different options for installation. We go over these 3 options with our latest video series:

Option 1: Run Band-in-a-Box® directly from the USB drive only: click here to view.

Option 2: Install Band-in-a-Box® on your computer hard drive, but leave the RealTracks & RealDrums on the USB hard drive: click here to view.

Option 3: Install Band-in-a-Box® and the RealTracks & RealDrums on your computer hard drive: click here to view.

Check out all our Band-in-a-Box for Mac videos here.

Video - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets for Band-in-a-Box® for Mac

Have you purchased your Band-in-a-Box® package, and want to make sure you're downloading and installing the RealTracks Sets correctly?

Well, we've created just the tutorial video you're looking for! Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® - Downloading and Installing RealTracks Sets.

Video link:
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=QndXu8H_IwM

Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Forum Stats
27635 Members
50 Forums
52274 Topics
432777 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
run97410, LeftyMark, War Eagle, reaper19, Waaree

27634 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 180