Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#449690 - 01/07/18 07:26 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
I did this cover of "Listen to the music" sometime back and have posted it on YouTube and linked to this forum mainly as a demonstration that guitar and other instrumental riffs can accurately and authentically be replicated using techniques and features available in the BIAB program such as midi and audio recording. Enjoy.

LISTEN TO THE MUSIC - DOOBIE BROTHERS 1972

#449765 - 01/07/18 01:38 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Very impressive Charlie, thanks.

Can you advise what tracks / style was used?

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#449797 - 01/07/18 02:48 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: VideoTrack]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

I didn't think I would be able to find anything because when I did this project was prior to the loosening of restrictions for covers and we could post songs from YouTube. I don't normally preserve a project that I will likely never have reason to use again. But I found the original seq and sgu files on a backup drive. That's some good luck.

I originally did this project 11/15/2014 and the style I started with was _M16SPNO.STY. Worship Pop w/ Piano.
That is the date that Windows Explorer show all the associated files being last modified including the original sgu file but I would not have guessed it was that long ago. But that is the best date I have anything documented for.

I played the seq file and it is the same as what is posted.

Here is the memo from the seq file:

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Listen To The Music
File:Listen To The Music.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 106, Length (m:s)=3:46
No intro. 98 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 98. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _M16SPNO.STY (Med.Pop 16ths with Piano [110RS])

RealTracks in style: 1174:Bass, Electric, PopClypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1689:B3 Organ Background Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1606:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: 1608:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16ths Ev16 110
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

There is an additional audio track of the guitar riff.

Edited by Charlie Fogle (01/07/18 02:52 PM)

#449817 - 01/07/18 06:41 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
What a great cover, Charlie. That's one of my favorite Doobie Brothers songs and one I had been wanting to tackle. I'll take a look at that style.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#449862 - 01/08/18 06:22 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Nice job, Charlie!

I can hear the vocal in my head as I'm listening to your track. Rhythm guitar in particular is perfect.

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#449958 - 01/08/18 02:06 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Charlie,

That is really nicely done.

#449981 - 01/08/18 04:06 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: floyd jane]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Originally Posted By: jford
What a great cover, Charlie. That's one of my favorite Doobie Brothers songs and one I had been wanting to tackle. I'll take a look at that style.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice job, Charlie!

I can hear the vocal in my head as I'm listening to your track. Rhythm guitar in particular is perfect.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Charlie,

That is really nicely done.

Thanks for listening and taking time to comment. I appreciate it.

Charlie

#450265 - 01/10/18 06:23 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

You nailed it Charlie! This is a personal favourite of mine by the Doobie Brothers, and you seriously did it some justice here smile

#450408 - 01/10/18 06:43 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Deryk - PG Music]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
You nailed it Charlie! This is a personal favourite of mine by the Doobie Brothers, and you seriously did it some justice here smile

Thanks for the kind comments Deryk. This one has always been a personal favorite of mine too.

#451033 - 01/14/18 03:37 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
nice job Charlie! Especially thanks for posting the tracks used!
Did you play any of that yourself? (Your original post said something about audio recording...)

And you mention something about restrictions being lifted regarding the posting of cover songs... I must have missed that... is it true that we can post covers here now?

#451036 - 01/14/18 03:49 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Pat Marr]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Good morning Pat.

I did this project for a friend's personal use several years ago and all of the tracks are BIAB real tracks except for the pre-recorded signature rhythm riff made available to me that was recorded by a guitarist that could play it in a more professional sound that I could.

Regarding restrictions, they have not changed for here on the BIAB forum but what is now allowed are postings in this thread of covers that are on YouTube. The short answer is yes, if the cover is on YouTube and was done with the use of BIAB.

I uploaded this project to YouTube and posted the link here and linked to this post in another thread here on the forum as a reference during a discussion that accurate covers could not be achieved using BIAB.

#452248 - 01/19/18 01:09 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Pat Marr]
Larry Kehl Offline
Veteran

Loc: New Mexico
GREAT work!

That song takes me back to another time, another place, another mindset, and people & friends I'll never see again.

Larry

#452346 - 01/20/18 03:28 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Thanks Larry for taking time to listen.

Charlie

#455137 - 02/01/18 11:40 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
David Snyder Offline
Veteran

Loc: North Carolina
Thanks man. Great sound and great cover.

BTW, I immediately found this file and saved it to desktop as let me see...

DOOBIE BROTHERS

New song coming!!!

Man, one thing that has always bothered me. I have been trying to figure out what the Doobie in Doobie brothers was referring to for decades.

I wonder if I will ever know? Is it just one of those things that must forever remain a mystery?????

www.davidsnydermusic.com
www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder
www.soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel
www.songtradr.com/user/profile/david.snyder

#455141 - 02/01/18 11:53 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Quote:
Man, one thing that has always bothered me. I have been trying to figure out what the Doobie in Doobie brothers was referring to for decades.

Yeah, and they're not even brothers. What's with that? smile

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#456616 - 02/09/18 09:18 AM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: David Snyder]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Thanks man. Great sound and great cover.

BTW, I immediately found this file and saved it to desktop as let me see...

DOOBIE BROTHERS

New song coming!!!

I wonder if I will ever know? Is it just one of those things that must forever remain a mystery?????

Thanks for listening and I'm guessing your 'new song coming' may take a poke answering to what the 'Doobie' in Doobie Brothers means?? ;=0

Edited by Charlie Fogle (02/09/18 12:57 PM)

#456638 - 02/09/18 12:33 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Good job Charlie but bump up the drums. Note the key here is finding someone to play the signature lick. That's always the problem with trying to create good covers in Biab.

A Doobie is/was a joint. A joint is what's now legal in 9 states for folks who may not know. At the time the name Doobie Brothers was quite the flower power/counter culture/antiwar joke...

Bob

#456652 - 02/09/18 02:13 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: Charlie Fogle]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
I was going to post a YT link to a good backing track just to use as a comparison. I found many different ones then I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_YmaI6qSQ

This is amazing. Who is this guy who posted this? It really sounds like he has access to the original studio tracks especially when the vocals comes in. If he someway somehow created this himself, how the heck did he do it? Where did he get those clean vocals?

Bob

#456687 - 02/09/18 05:24 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: jazzmammal]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I was going to post a YT link to a good backing track just to use as a comparison. I found many different ones then I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_YmaI6qSQ

This is amazing. Who is this guy who posted this? It really sounds like he has access to the original studio tracks especially when the vocals comes in. If he someway somehow created this himself, how the heck did he do it? Where did he get those clean vocals?

Bob

There's a fellow named Terry Jackson that claims to have access to the original studio tracks for this song and many others.

Listen to the Music original studio tracks posted by Terry Jackson

#456696 - 02/09/18 05:57 PM [I just heard Band-in-a-Box on YouTube] Re: Listen to the music by the Doobie Brothers BIAB performance track [Re: jazzmammal]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
The multi-tracks may be a by product of guitar video games like Guitar Hero or Rocksmith. Many familiar songs were remixed in multi-track format so gamers could play their favorite instrument on their game controller.

There is also a +++ Wikipedia Article +++ that lists some albums and songs that have been released as stems.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Andrew - PG Music, PeterGannon 
PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows - User Programmable Functions

But, what if you want to be able to tell the program to do MORE than that?

Head to Chapter 14: User Programmable Functions within the online manual, and you'll learn more about programmable features like:

The StyleMaker
Create brand-new styles or edit existing styles!

Making RealDrums Styles
Template file included! You can either record a drummer, or you can piece together a wave file using drum loops!

The Harmony Maker
Create or edit your own (or existing) harmonies!

The Soloist Maker and The Melodist Maker
Define your own Soloists or Melodists in whichever style you'd like!

The Guitarist Maker
The program will intelligently arrange any melody to a guitar chord solo by inserting real guitar voicings throughout the piece. There are many preloaded Guitarists to choose from, or you can customize existing Guitarists’ settings or make your own Guitarists from scratch using this feature.

#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Review - Software for Learning Saxophone

McGill Music Sax School posted a video review of Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows last year, stating "I love using software to help learn saxophone. One of my favourite programs is Band-in-a-Box. It's a really powerful tool for quickly making backing tracks I can use for lessons, or my own practice."

Check it out! www.pgmusic.com/?vid=2AgfV7emdLQ

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Forum Stats
28093 Members
57 Forums
54487 Topics
450684 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Frans, Gregle, sergio2018, Pellegrino, Vladislav

28092 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 206
Matt Finley 144