Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#449708 01/07/18 07:02 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I found this song in a shoe box and redid it in BIAB. I wrote it in my freshman year of college when I came out of a swamp and a country road to find that things were not what they seemed and a lot of people of “privilege” seemed to have a kind of misery that no amount of mashed potatoes or biscuits and gravy could cure.

My band at this time was called Blue Babylon or something cheesy like that. My first girlfriend that year told me I was an "18 year old kid with the heart of an 80 year old Memphis blues man." Things got really interesting after that.

https://soundcloud.com/davidsnyderchannel/and-the-river-cries

And the River Cries

By David Snyder

V1

You’ve got so many
sad-eyed friends
who don’t where your troubles start
or where they end

don’t nobody here really laugh anymore
It’s a different kind of laugh
Comes behind the closet door

And here your untrained actors
learn to laugh and cry
and here your shooting stars
their infant voices try

CH:

and here the water comes
and the river rises
here the water comes and the river rise
yeah here the water comes
and the river rises

and oh, oh, oh, the river cries

V2

well it rains down
on this city
like it rains down in my heart
and there’s a darkness in your love
that tears my soul apart

I wish that I could tell you
that love’s the only cure
but there’s only so much love
some people can endure

CH

and here the water comes
and the river rises
and the river rises

SOLO

CH:

And here the water comes
and the river rises
and the river rises

Outro

Lyrics and music by David Snyder, ASCAP/Day of Faith, new version copyright 2018

Written and performed by David Snyder

TRACKS

I started with the Fallen Style from Xtra Styles Pak 2 (Rock) but added my own acoustic, electric rhythm guitars, and lead.

The lead guitar is a Strat, obviously. There is a Brent soloist in this style that is cool but I chose to do my own.

Style is _FALLEN.STY (Fallen Emotional Rock Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 1036:Bass, Electric, NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 806:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DrivingCountryBalladDirty Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 1598:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Pop16thsGritty Ev16 065
RealTracks in style: 1596:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths Ev16 065
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Earliest David Snyder.jpg (16.25 KB, 127 downloads)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

I like EVERYTHING about this. And almost everything about it brings to mind the best of early Neil Young with Crazy Horse (and still sounds like David Snyder doing David Snyder).

A good Rock-Singer-Songwriter write.

The vocal has soul, heart.

The backing tracks are just what they need to be. Nice mix. And your leads (very Neil Young-ish!) take it another notch higher. Very cool tone/processing - a real standout - you could make that a signature sound...

Super.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

Now that is cool! Great song. I love the way this still reflects your style, even though it was written years ago. Great mix and vocal.

Love the pic as well! smile

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David

Excellent song, one of your best vocals - great choice of backing and as floyd said a Neil Young feel to the guitar.
Really strong composition.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The lyrics may be the same as when you were a younger man, but your vocal surely has added a maturity to it. I have to say, your voice seems to fit this song REALLY well!

There are obviously no lyrics for the guitar solo, but none are needed. The cool part is, I know exactly what it's saying anyway. To me that is PURE emotion.

Great song man. I really enjoyed it.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David this is your best to date IMHO.

I love the blues and you did the blues justice on this one.

Great backing tracks with an outstanding vocal, lyrics and lead guitar. That rhythm guitar was also very good.

This is a keeper.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David. Its nice to revisit your roots.
Great lyrics that reflect the age.
Powerful tune as yours always are.
Well done again sir. Rob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David, I too feel that this is one of your best vocal performances! I also hear the Neal Young thing going on but I also hear a lot of the late 60's influences popping up (Jefferson Airplane, CCR-the extended jam type songs and other Bay Area groups. Nice processing on that guitar! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Great song. great feeling in it. Excellent chord line and real tracks used.
Super final solo.
Very well performed. Surely one of your best for me.

Sergio

Sergio
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I actually got a little Randy Newman (ala I Love LA) kind of vibe from the vocals. Nice work on the guitars too.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, I LOVE THIS!!!!

Your vocal is just dripping with emotion!

I also dig your guitar playing! You should play more often, lots of attitude and feel happening with that lead, a Neil Young vibe happening as others have commented, and that's ok in my book!

My new favorite from you! Love that old picture of you BTW smile

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great song. I agree with Floyd, it has a Neil Young kind of quality to it. Great vocals. Love the way it starts with just acoustic and vocals and builds up throughout the song.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Floyd! I was just having fun on this one and amazed once again and at how fast BIAB could help me resurrect a "blast from the past."

As for the guitar sound, yeah, I fiddled with that tone a lot. I started off trying to get a Shine On You Crazy Diamond sound, then it went to kind of a Comfortably Numb sort of thing, then it went to this.

But yeah, I have saved that sound for sure!! I love the way you can make a Strat growl if you spank it just right.

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Bob! Yeah, that was a good era. I am amazed I am still alive after having gone through it.

smile

But wait! Then I moved closed to the area of the village you are writing about in your last song.

Even MORE surprised I got through THAT phase. Must have had a guardian angel.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Peter. That means a lot! Looking forward to hearing all of your great songs in 2018!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks HTL!

That compliment on the guitar solo is about the highest compliment you can give a musician.

Thank you so much.

My daughter told me one time something to the effect "Dad, you should just shut up and play the guitar."

I told her Frank Zappa had already done that album.

smile

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - what a stunning piece of music! Your signature sound is coming through full force here, and I really enjoyed it smile The lyrics and the vocal delivery of them is extremely captivating.

Great work, and thanks so much for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David, Good work on this one. May be my new favorite from you. The guitar work has that ragged edge in all the right places. It compliments the raw emotion in the vocals. Nicely mixed and mastered. Sounds great! I liked everything about it, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really, really like this song. Man you had the gift back then as well. Super vocal and backtrack. The lyric was exceptional. The guitar tone was so complimentary to the song. Everything just first fit perfectly..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"don’t nobody here really laugh anymore
It’s a different kind of laugh
Comes behind the closet door"

Great lines out of many.

We wholeheartedly agree with fj's "the backing tracks are just what they need to be. Nice mix. And your leads (very Neil Young-ish!) take it another notch higher. Very cool tone/processing - a real standout - you could make that a signature sound..."

Powerfully written and performed. There's about five good emotional songs packed into this one tune.

We like everything about it and now off to look through shoeboxes....

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195