Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
G
Geneoh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
So Im running my HP Laptop into a Fender FM25DSP.
And yes Im new at this..anyway Im doig this to simply run Band In A Box
through the amp to blend with guitar.
Its a 2 ch amp with RCA inputs, so headphones out of LT to RCA inputs.
Problem is everything sounds wavy on the RCA ch...out of Laptop.
The laptop plays fine when not connected to the amp.
The sound is best described as wavy...high & low every 2-4 seconds?
Could this be a line out level issue? My laptop also has Beats Audio.
The only way to control the volume of my input ch is from the LT
Im just trying to learn to play with some backing tracks and its very annoying.
I just got the 2018 BIB & dont think it has anything to do with my issue.
I used BIB for a short while 10 years ago..
BTW Im running windows 10
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Gene

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Geneoh

Its a 2 ch amp with RCA inputs, so headphones out of LT to RCA inputs.

So, if I understand you correctly you are feeding the RCA input of the amp with a headphone output from the laptop?

That won't work very well because the RCA input of the amp is expecting a high impedance, low output signal (line level) and a headphone output will be just the opposite, low impedance, high output.

Do you have a line out on the laptop?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
This is one of my personal goals, to ensure no one does it that way (grin).

Dave is correct; the headphone jack is not a line-level signal. The gain can be close if you turn up the laptop maybe two-thirds (varies, of course). The impedance will still be wrong and degrade the sound.

What I really hate, in addition to poor quality sound, is the horrible static-like blast you will hear when the headphone connection isn’t perfect, especially when it is jostled. This can clear a room worse than feedback. And those mini headphone jacks will fail, just by their design.

A much better solution is to get an audio interface that connects to your laptop USB port. You can find these with a gain knob and RCA output jacks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
G
Geneoh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Yep, You are understanding me correctly HP out of LT to RCA amp.
The amp manual states, (RCA)for CD MP3 Drum Machine..
But as you mention those devices would or should have RCA out to work properly...
And no I dont have Audio Out on my LT, I surely would have used it rather than the HP jack.
With all respect, Thank you for taking the time.
Gene

G
Geneoh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Thanks Matt, I'll check with Guitar Center & head that way if they have it?
Gene

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I like this for you: a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Copy this link.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite/Scarlett-Solo-2nd-Generation-USB-Audio-Interface-1500000010205.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyszSBRDJARIsAHAqQ4psxluOe9TVRrvou7G0N9J7S0S7uCETGi86j2rRNLcNmeEE0-RY45oaAtfGEALw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^57619015002-device^c-plaid^140858361861-sku^1500000010205@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Of course, that's a minimum. You can get more inputs and outputs in other Scarlett models. I have a pair of 18i20s and a 6i6 I keep as a spare. Even the 2i2 is good; just get their 2nd generation units (better specs, and in the higher models, better software).

Other brands include Behringer, M-Audio, Apogee etc.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Adaptors are readily available online and are actually the right tool for the job this time. They are also inexpensive, require no usb or power. This is a common problem with an easy solution. Nearly every church, community center, night club and gigging musician wants to plug their I-device into mixers now days... Here's a high quality cable at B&H Photo.

- Attenuator cable h4n -

Matt is correct that using USB is physically more stable and a better connection, this method is also widely used.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 01/09/18 02:11 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, I skipped that solution because it uses the headphone connection. Potentially very bad. But Charlie is correct that this is the least expensive way to match the signal. It still depends on setting the headphone volume correctly for the right gain staging.

Veteran
Veteran
This Behringer unit should be arriving in a week or so. I'll let everyone know how it does. I would have liked the Focusrite, but budget constraints for now. My old FastTrack Pro seems to give me more and more problems with each update on my computer (of course it's almost 10 years old and the available drivers are almost as old).

That being said, when it works, the external USB FastTrack Pro plays nicely with my amp and the sound is great.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
G
Geneoh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
I appreciate the advice here men!
Matt, I have not made it to Guitar Center yet, still scratching my head here! Ive got some odd things going on with this Laptop!
1st off the sound out of the headphone jack is remarkably clean going into the amp other than the volume flex. Obviously a cheap fix would be idea. We also need to keep in mind that I have No Volume Control on the amp for that channel (RCA INPUT), what ever device thats plugged into it controls the volume! So Im assuming the cable alone too level it would not work?
Matt, can you tell me if the USB Audio Interface that you suggested will
control the volume in my situation?
Now..from my recent research on my Laptop (HP Envy 17) Ive found there is an issue with the audio driver, same issue Im have with the HP jack!
What I dont understand is why does it sound clean & just has volume swings, who knows...
Also..Matt will the USB AI bypass my LT sound card & run by itself?
If my LT truly has an audio driver output issue will the other device have the same issue?
Sorry for all the questions & confusion it aint easy being a newbie LOL.
Thanks again guys!

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, the Focusrite (or Behringer etc.) would bypass the laptop's sound card (which is a good thing), and yes, it has its own volume control.

Veteran
Veteran
I second (or third) the USB-to-Audio interface.

For your purposes, I think the fewer knobs, bells and whistles will be best.

I use an Edirol UA-1A that I bought in the 1990s. It works great and they come up on E-bay all the time.

The simplicity for live performance is nice. Plug into the USB port, and connect a line from the output of the UA-1A to the amp (in my case the PA).

USB->Audio devices generally have wider bandwidth than the headphone or speaker jack and don't make static connection noises if accidentally jarred.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Expert
Expert
When playing I use a Roland Tricapture into a PA. I plug my guitar into the Tricapture and use TH2 on the laptop for the guitar. That way I have a balance between the backing and guitar. I often play through others equipment doing it the way just mentioned I don't have to play around looking to get a balance just overall volume. I only need one port in a PA or whatever. At home I use a Roland Quadcapture for similar reasons.

I notice some folk use BIAB when performing I use .wav files and Windows media player. I looked at the very good article http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html Bob Notes Norton put out and am considering converting to MP3s. That way I might get a more even volume mix by running the MP3 files through MP3 gain before transferring them to the laptop.

Thanks to all and Bob Notes Norton.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 01/09/18 12:22 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
G
Geneoh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Here's an update on what Ive decided to do with some advice here.
I went ahead ordered the Focusrite 6i6 along with a pair of Yamaha HS8 Monitor Speakers. Those Yamaha's not only sound pricey they are pricey!
Anyway I think in the long run Ill be better off this way...
It least I'll have more options and much better sound.
Stay tuned guys, Im sure Ill have more questions once I get started.
Thanks to all !
Gene

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the kind words, Tony.

And let us know how your new system works out Gene.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I love my Focusrite 6i6 for portable use. You should do well with it.

G
Geneoh Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
My 6i6 showed yesterday, I mail ordered it & the HS8's..still waiting on the speakers. Anyway got a question about the 6i6 as far as downloading all of the software & drivers, I'd like to install all the software that comes with it on 2 different PC's, my Laptop & Desktop.
So, will I be able to do both or is the downloads only good for one PC?

Veteran
Veteran
The Focusrite software should work fine on multiple systems. I have mine installed on both laptop and PC.

I use my PC most of the time on the 18i20 and for mobile recording I use it on the laptop.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Yes, it will be fine on both.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195