Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#450063 01/09/18 05:22 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Anyone here ever play or own a Variax (specifically from 2014 or later)? Very curious about them and would love to hear some informed opinions if possible.

TIA!

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I know 4 people with them. 3 have the original Line 6. 1 has a later one with JTV in the model name, standing for James Tyler Variax. The first 3 love WHAT they do (guitar modeling) far more than how it does it. They have a lot of issues with the motherboard. Strings suddenly stop responding. Moisture (humidity) affects them badly. They may have addressed that since, but one of those guys has had that motherboard replaced 3 times. That 4th guy with the JTV has never had a problem, so perhaps that is the key. Buy a later one with the JTV in the model number.

That same guy changed guitar from song to song, kind of defeating why you buy a modeling guitar, but whatever. The early ones I tried did not have good hand feel to them. The James Tyler felt like a Strat. Either way expect to pay $1200 at least. But, for that $1200 you get very realistic modeling, and you can program it to switch to dropped D, open G, open E, or anything guitar sound you like (acoustic, 12 string, Les Paul, Strat, Telecaster...) by turning a knob. If that motherboard issue is fixed for good, they are a nice investment.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/09/18 12:52 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #450087 01/09/18 07:01 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the i
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I know 4 people with them. 3 have the original Line 6. 1 has a later one with JTV in the model name, standing for James Tyler Variax. The first 3 love WHAT they do (guitar modeling) far more than how it does it. They have a lot of issues with the motherboard. Strings suddenly stop responding. Moisture (humidity) affects them badly. They may have addressed that since, but one of those guys has had that motherboard replaced 3 times. That 4th guy with the JTV has never had a problem, so perhaps that is the key. Buy a later one with the JTV in the model number.

That same guy changed guitar from song to song, kind of defeating why you buy a modeling guitar, but whatever. The early ones I tried did not have good hand feel to them. The Jay Turner felt like a Strat. Either way expect to pay $1200 at least. But, for that $1200 you get very realistic modeling, and you can program it to switch to dropped D, open G, open E, or anything guitar sound you like (acoustic, 12 string, Les Paul, Strat, Telecaster...) by turning a knob. If that motherboard issue is fixed for good, they are a nice investment.

Thanks for the input! FWIW, regarding them being a good investment, I don't know that they will ever appreciate in value given that they are heavily tech-centric and with its technology not having advanced since 2014 (other than Workbench software updates) the next gen will be light years ahead.

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I own the acoustic version.

It is very cool for writing and adding weird stuff like Sitar, or having a half decent resonator. The 12 string has it uses.

I have managed to create a signal chain of effects and acoustic amps in Sonar to the point I could use it as a background guitar or for some Pat Metheny type stuff on the rare occasion. The problem is, it does not have the wooden warmth or sustain of a real acoustic, and comes across as metallic if it is up front, so you can't use it on singer songwriter stuff as the main instrument.

I don't know about the electric.

The acoustic is fun as heck to play, and very useful for coloring as long as you don't use it up front in my opinion.

Oh, it is my opinion that you also have to use a limiter on it to approximate a real acoustic, so gear up to buy one of those as well.

Here is a youtube that accurately reflects the sound I get when I play it (acoustic version.)

This is exactly the sound you will get with the acoustic. If you can imagine putting this in one of your recordings go for it.

If not, don't get it, because this is the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iCb3ux9S1k

Also, the motherboard on my first one did do go out in two weeks and I had to get another one. But now I have had it 3 years with no motherboard problems.

For playing out live...Benefits...I don't know. I keep it simple. I just grab a Taylor with no effects and a mic and just sit on a stool in front of the people and do it old school with no gimmicks.

It seems to do the trick. That Taylor fretboard does what I tell it to.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David, which acoustic do you have? The +++ Acoustic 700 +++ models many acoustic instruments as well as variable microphone positions. There was also the +++ Variax 300 acoustic +++ which was available in both steel and nylon string versions.

I have a +++ 2007 Variax 300 electric +++. So far the instrument has been trouble free. I use it strictly for recording and with the AC power supply.

Sound wise I've found that if you adjust the volume knob to about 70% the sound is much more natural and clean. Raise the volume level any higher and I start hearing harsh and brittle overtones.

Many of the first generation guitars had quality control and build issues as Line 6 used at least three Chinese circuit board manufacturers before finding a Taiwan board maker and switching from guitar builders located in China, Korea and Indonesia before settling on the Indonesian builder. By then the guitars had a bad reputation and were difficult to sell.

Line 6 surveyed first generation owners for two or three years prior to releasing the JTV series. The surveys helped identify quality issues as well as what changes customers wanted. The redesigned bridges and tuners are examples of quality changes while the three body styles and real pick-ups demonstrate customer desired features. It was not anticipated or expected that Line 6 would partner with a boutique guitar maker.

The USA made JTV custom series guitars are literally hand made, boutique guitars and are priced accordingly, more than $3,500. The about $1,200 priced JTVs are manufactured in Korea.

Line 6 was purchased by Yamaha a few years ago and the JTV Standard was quickly added to the product list. The JTV Standard is a redesign of the JTV 69, Stratocaster clone. The JTV Standard is assembled by the Yamaha guitar factory in Japan and sells for about $900.

The only way to adjust tunings in the first generation electric Variax guitars was to purchase the $99.00 US Workbench kit (that includes a custom CAT5 cable, USB to CAT5 conversion box and USB 2.0 type A to type B cable and software CD diskette) and use it to fill one of the existing model slots. It's not a problem fro me but did have a negative affect on some people.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Jim, you seem to know the history. Was it always 50 presets?

The guy I know that has the JTV has created about 4 oddball tunings so he apparently can edit. I love the idea of playing in open E and then with the push of a knob and a twist of a dial be in open G. Apparently, from what you said, they fixed the motherboard problem. I know that all 3 of the guys with the major problems DID have early models and they crapped out on them during summertime outdoor gigs when humidity was high. We don't have the humidity that Notes has in Florida but Ohio has it's moments.

I asked him about doing a song of mine that needs baritone guitar and he had the preset for it, but I ended up just tuning a guitar down 3 half steps to loosen the strings and made it sound like a baritone.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Jim Fogle #450201 01/09/18 03:55 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Jim,

Mine is an acoustic 700 and I have fiddled with all of the knobs.

Not complaining, because it is cool, but no matter what you do or where you set the controls (in my experience) you will always lack that warmth, sustain and resonance of a real acoustic, so I can't see using it up front, because all of my playing is based on really subtle string attacks, holds, bends, harmonics, and moving my hands in different directions from the sound hole.

So again, I think it is wonderful in its place but will always have limitations, because, well it is not a guitar. It is a guitar synth.

Make sense?

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Jim,

Mine is an acoustic 700 and I have fiddled with all of the knobs.

Not complaining, because it is cool, but no matter what you do or where you set the controls (in my experience) you will always lack that warmth, sustain and resonance of a real acoustic, so I can't see using it up front, because all of my playing is based on really subtle string attacks, holds, bends, harmonics, and moving my hands in different directions from the sound hole.

So again, I think it is wonderful in its place but will always have limitations, because, well it is not a guitar. It is a guitar synth.

Make sense?

Spot on. I listened to dozens of clips on YT, and while the jazz models, strats, teles, and even the dobro and 12 stings sound convincing, the acoustic models (to my ears) have this shiny brittle sheen that just makes it sound like they were just EQd to death, and not at all like acoustics. The reason I think (again, to my ears) that the Dobro and 12 strings--which are essentially acoustic instruments work, is because the former has such a naturally bright and almost electric sound, and the latter, due to the octaves has so much extraneous harmonics/overtones.

I'm dying to see when (if) they release a 3rd gen model whether the acoustics will be more realistic (and a nylon string model or two would be awesome!)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
After lusting after one for years, I found an early model at a nice price on Craigslist. The seller didn't have any issues with it, he simply never played it.

I used it a couple of times, but mostly it spent the couple of years gathering dust, as it was much simpler for me just to use an acoustic.

Fortunately, I ran into a multi-instrumentalist friend who gigs around town, and I suggested that the Variax might be perfect for him. He came over, demonstrated his awesome guitar skills, agreed with me, and he walked out with his new purchase.

Of course, I warned him (before selling it) that although I'd never had any problems with it, there were quite a number of people who had, and not to blame me if it failed in the middle of a gig. wink

I've talked with him a number of times since then, and he says he couldn't be more pleased with it and the convenience of not having to lug around a bunch of guitars.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
eddie1261 #450405 01/10/18 04:34 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Jim, you seem to know the history. Was it always 50 presets? Eddie, no. The first generation firmware has the same model set as the current generation JTV 59 & JTV 69. However the firmware had duplicate memory slots with half the memory slots available to the model knob and pick-up switch and the others locked into firmware. That way, if you locked-up the motherboard so much that it could not be accessed through the Variax port you can reset the motherboard and the permanent motherboard memory slots will overwrite the accessible memory slots. I've never had to reset my motherboard so I don't remember the step-by-step but can look it up if I had to. I have not played with a new generation Variax but my understanding is the alternate tunings are set across the board so you can switch between models but retain the tuning set by the alternate tunings knob. Generation 1 shipped with two alt tunings that occupy two of the five custom model settings. Using Workbench you can drop up to five frets and up eight but they didn't sound very good. Realistically you can drop three or raise five.

The guy I know that has the JTV has created about 4 oddball tunings so he apparently can edit. I love the idea of playing in open E and then with the push of a knob and a twist of a dial be in open G. Apparently, from what you said, they fixed the motherboard problem. I know that all 3 of the guys with the major problems DID have early models and they crapped out on them during summertime outdoor gigs when humidity was high. We don't have the humidity that Notes has in Florida but Ohio has it's moments.

I asked him about doing a song of mine that needs baritone guitar and he had the preset for it, but I ended up just tuning a guitar down 3 half steps to loosen the strings and made it sound like a baritone.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
David,

I understand exactly what you're saying. I believe all the Variax models have too much piezo effect that make them sound artificial. I've used that to my advantage recording rockabilly or playing the thunk, thunk Johnny Cash lick invented by Luther Perkins. My guitar responds well to pick position between the bridge and fretboard but doesn't like finger strums or picking. It sounds better when I use a pick.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09
Anyone here ever play or own a Variax (specifically from 2014 or later)? Very curious about them and would love to hear some informed opinions if possible.

I have a JTV and love it. It's not a perfect guitar in terms of the action or even the look of it, but I love being able to switch between emulations and tunings.

Most of the emulations sound pretty fanastic, and when playing through amp/cab emulations I have often found that I like what the Variax emulations are giving me than one of my my traditional guitars. I have compared some emulations with the real guitars and found that the differences can be very minimal and in some cases I even like the result of emulation better (though that would really depend on what you're going for and what amp/cab preset you are using, I think).

Definitely a tool to have in the shed, and it could become your favorite guitar just for the ability to easily experiment with different results (very handy when trying to zero in on a tone for a new song or a recording, and then of course for performing later).

Did you end up getting one, or are you still considering it?

I don't trust it not to fail on me at some point so I keep paying the annual warranty replacement insurance just in case. That computer is bound to fail at some point, I would think.

There were some build and quality control issues when they first came out, so beware buying second hand... though if someone had those minor issues fixed the guitar could be pretty solid.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, MacPro (Mid-2010) OSX 10.12.6
DAW: Digital Performer 8

Jim Fogle #467429 04/15/18 04:42 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
David,

I understand exactly what you're saying. I believe all the Variax models have too much piezo effect that make them sound artificial. I've used that to my advantage recording rockabilly or playing the thunk, thunk Johnny Cash lick invented by Luther Perkins. My guitar responds well to pick position between the bridge and fretboard but doesn't like finger strums or picking. It sounds better when I use a pick.

This helps me get a more acoustic and less piezo sound when I record my acoustic with the include piezo pickup:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/better-sound-from-acoustic-guitar-piezo-pickups

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
R
R
I have a JTV69 in red currently. I have had a Variax 600, JTV59, and a sunburst JTV69 previously. I loved how the 1st Gen 600 played but all the models didn't quite sound as open as a normal guitar does. When I had the JTV59 it was a nice guitar but was so heavy I sold it, nothing wrong with it but if you go that route I'd hold it because like any LP style guitar they can be heavy. The JTV69 is what I enjoyed most because I like Strats and use a trem a lot. The models are much more convincing and Workbench HD is a blast to get lost in. The real deal is when you pair this with a Helix. With snapshots it is just the ultimate gigging tool. I can be on a Gretsch 6120 with filtertrons for the opening to a Strat neck on the Verse, to a Les Paul bridge pup driving the Chorus, to an Acoustic Jumbo for the bridge, etc. All in one preset, all by just pressing a button on my Helix. It can't get much better than that.

Yes I agree the Acoustic models take longer to dial in but it's possible and in the mix sounds great, even the 12 String acoustic models. On their own you can kind of tell but still more than passable and much better than just using a Fishman power bridge on a Strat or Tele.

The Alt tunings are super fun and have found myself exploring slide again. Overall this thing is a tool that can inspire and drive music out of you that you didn't know you had in you. I like mine a lot. Is it like playing my Mag equipped guitars? No not exactly but once you get adjusted to it it's amazing. It's kind of like how when you get a new guitar with a neck profile you aren't use to, it takes some time to adjust but when you do you don't notice it anymore.

The other big reason I chose the JTV69 is you can put any Strat neck out there on it. The neck pocket is the same. So if you don't like the neck you can put a new one on no problem, one of the screw holes is different but that's really no big deal.

If you have already got good guitars this would be a great guitar to through in there.

Off-Topic
C
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
C
I own a JTV -69. I used to carry around multiple guitars. I had my Stratocaster electric and one of my acoustical guitars. I had to have a bunch of pedals. I play country covers and all my original stuff and I also play classic rock covers. Going in and out of the two genres gets sticky with having to change out guitars and jacking with distortion and effects. With my variax though all of that is gone.
I have a line 6 amp and I can program my back ups tunes into the amp.
I just create my songs with band in the box...make a copy without vocals and program them into them into my amp. I program the guitar effects and such as well as vocal effects. If I want to play a rock song I just load up the backing for the song that I have created..it automatically brings up the effects and settings for my guitar and vocals. I set my guitar to the guitar I want (like Les Paul setting for rock) I hit play with either with my finger or step on the pedal and start rocking.
If I play a country tune, I just set my variax to acoustic on the guitar I want and set my amp to the song backing and start jamming down.
I haven't mastered the virtual capo yet but I do use the tuning knob for some songs.....I just set the tuning knob to a tuning like "drop-d" or "open g". Then I can get down to something like "Heard it Through the Grapevine" or Honky Tonk Women"
I run into a lot of musicians who play classic rock covers and some who play country covers....but I never run into anyone who play my original tunes, I loose them at that point.

But Band in the Box gives me a way to have a backing band with my original tunes..
Before I use to had to use a drum machine and record all of the parts of my song separate and record them to make a backing track.
I took me a little while to get use to the acoustic guitars on the variax because the guitar is actually and electric body style and at first it is kinda creepy cranking out acoustic sounds on an electric, but I am used to it.
People can't even really tell in your recordings. I had the variax 700 to start with, but it had no pickups and you can't get harmonics out of them..The JTV version solved all of that though and can be used straight up just as an electric.
C.Dan

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195