Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
If anyone has the Mariachi Style "_OAXACA", could they load and then generate and play it and see if they get a correct count-in for the time signature?

Thanks

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
OK. I created a new song with one chord, loaded the _OAXACA style (love tacos in this style!) and played the song.

I hear a 4/4 count-in on bongo of 1,2, 1234. It fits correctly with the music to follow, assuming this is a 6/8 style where there are twelve eighth notes in a measure of 4/4, at a tempo of (quarter note =) 110.

I could live with it. Is that what you are hearing?

I do think an eighth note subdivision sounding in the count-in would be more helpful, with 12 eighth notes per bar. 1 & 7 are emphasized in the first measure; 1,4,7 & 10 emphasized in the second.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yes, what you've described is what I'm hearing.

I believe that there is a problem using a 4 beat count-in for this style. Although it 'technically / mathematically' fits, it is less than desirable for this style and would be improved with a 6/8 count-in.

The style should have a count-in that that matches the time signature.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I found further inconsistencies.

The style: '-68_BOS+' is a 6/8 Bossa style (6 even 8th notes per bar).

It actually has a 6/8 count-in.

Veteran
Veteran
I can’t imagine what that sounds like. I’ll try it. Thanks.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
...I hear a 4/4 count-in on bongo of 1,2, 1234. It fits correctly with the music to follow, assuming this is a 6/8 style where there are twelve eighth notes in a measure of 4/4, at a tempo of (quarter note =) 110.

I could live with it...

Matt. Please forgive the long-winded response below.

I've struggled with this part of your reply all day. I'm still having difficulty with it so am looking for some assistance / clarification.

The two values in a time signature indicate how many beats and what type are in each measure of music. We all know that a song with a time signature of 4/4 has four beats (top value), each with a value of a quarter note (lower value).
Similarly, a musical passage with a 3/4 meter has three quarter note beats to the bar.
When a song in 4/4 time is counted in, it is counted in as 1,2,3,4. The number of beats to the bar is 4 (the top value).
When a song in 3/4 time is counted in, it is counted in as 1,2,3 not 1,2,3,4. The number of beats to the bar is 3 (the top value).

In 6/8 time, the top number tells us there are 6 beats to the bar, each beat is an eighth note.

Using the same simple rule, when we count in a 6/8 song, surely it supposed to be counted in as the number of beats to the bar which is 6

Let's also think Paul Desmond. "Take 5" has to have a count in of 5. Nothing else fits. It's impossible to correctly count it as a 3, 4, 6, or anything else.

So I cannot reason how a song with 6 eighth note beats to the bar could ever be correctly counted in as 1,2,3,4. Surely it should have a multiple of 6 as the count-in value. The notes are not even quarter notes. They're eighth notes.

It goes against all the music theory I ever learned (I'm classically trained and I studied and sat Australian Conservatorium of Music and also sat London College of Music examinations for too many years to remember).

I just cannot get the comment "It fits correctly with the music to follow" to work. There are no quarter notes in the time signature. There are 6 x eighth notes.

The correct count-in for a 6/8 musical passage surely has to be something made up of 6 beats. Just the same as the count-in for a 3/4 song has 3 beats.

I know you mentioned it could be improved with a 12 beat count-in, but I'm keen to know how 4/4 is in any way acceptable.

Have I missed the goal here?

I'd also look forward to any reply from PG Music staff to indicate why a 4/4 count-in should be associated with music with 6/8 time signatures. I am willing to learn.

Last edited by VideoTrack; 01/09/18 02:12 AM. Reason: Invite PG Music to comment also

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Trevor,

The correct tempo (and count-in) of time sigs of 6/8, 9/8, or 12/8 is a group of 3 8th notes, not a single 8th. So this is a count-in on a dotted quarter. (Note: I am referring to the usual situations, and there are exceptions since people are free to notate music in different ways*)

It helps if we talk about a song example in 6/8. Let’s talk about funiculi funicula
Here is a link to sample of the sheet music
https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0067310

. and the tempo is usually about 140. That’s because the 140 is the tempo of a group of 3 eighth notes.
Imagine you are hearing that song, and clapping along - you wouldn’t be clapping at 420 which would be every 8 th note. You would clap every group of 3. So the BB countin is the same thing, and is at 140. The countin is four bars of 6/8. This is usually noted on the lead sheet by a dotted quarter symbol followed by “=140”

To hear this in practice, listen to this USF marching band.specifically, listen to their countin (and watch the conductor) which is exactly the familiar BIAB style countin 1-2- 1234 at tempo about 140. https://youtu.be/5yTUB1fyQ5Y

Does the countin that USF Marching band uses seem correct?

Peter

* an atypical example of 6/8 is when it is grouped as two 8ths per quarter, as in Christina Aguilera you lost me song. I prefer to think of these as 3/4 but it gets notated as 6/8. This is the exception to the rule. https://youtu.be/WOKI_tIBWVI

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Trevor. I didn’t say I like it, but i said I can live with it. Big difference.

What I meant is that I can hear in my head how it would sound when counting it, and indeed Peter has indicated he considers it the same way. I think 123 for each 4/4 beat. I indicated I would have counted it off as 1,2 123,123,123,...

Or 1,2 1e& 2e& 3e& ...

Everybody is in at the next measure with the triplet 6/8 feel in their heads. I play a lot of great 6/8 tunes in concert, like Footprints by Wayne Shorter. I’ve written some, too.

But since BIAB doesn’t (yet?) count off that way, I have to imagine it. Is that more reassuring?

Veteran
Veteran
My experience is all live stage work. A 6/8 tune is always counted off by a band leader as ONE two three, TWO two three, THREE two three, FOUR two three. Exactly like Peter says. As for Take 5, I play that all the time. I start it off on piano and everybody follows. On the original album Joe Morello starts it on drums but on Live at Carnegie Hall Brubeck starts it. We do Mission Impossible and it's also in 5 although one of the movies put it 8 for the out credits. Either myself of the bass starts it. I'm not saying that's a rule or anything it just seems like tunes in 5 sound better with an instrument starting them off rather than counting them in.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
OK. I created a new song with one chord, loaded the _OAXACA style (love tacos in this style!) and played the song.

I hear a 4/4 count-in on bongo of 1,2, 1234. It fits correctly with the music to follow, assuming this is a 6/8 style where there are twelve eighth notes in a measure of 4/4, at a tempo of (quarter note =) 110.

I could live with it. Is that what you are hearing?

I do think an eighth note subdivision sounding in the count-in would be more helpful, with 12 eighth notes per bar. 1 & 7 are emphasized in the first measure; 1,4,7 & 10 emphasized in the second.

It says in the Style picker too that Mexican Hat Dance (La Raspa) is suitable as demo for this style. Now I found this Tube version, La Raspa , and further down there's a great rhythmic part with a walking bass; i wonder how to get such an arrangement construction into BIAB with this style ... Maybe one of you experts can?

PS Update: I figured it out: In the style maker the display shows a 4/4 groove, but when you replace the recorded Guitarron RT bass track with a midi bass that works it needs a 3rds' based counting, see pic. If some one wants to do some further style adapting to it i could send the _OAXACx style variation via a PM. It also makes the original style somehow better understandable and useful, IMO, as far as the _OAXACA groove works out for me. -F

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BIAB mariachi bass.jpg (244.28 KB, 13 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I found further inconsistencies.

The style: '-68_BOS+' is a 6/8 Bossa style (6 even 8th notes per bar).

It actually has a 6/8 count-in.

Right, it's using quarter note triplets for this count-in. It's like what I mentioned, where there is a sort-of swing-starting count-in of 1,2 123 123

Very interesting. I didn't realize BIAB could play a 6/8 Bossa.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you one and all for your detailed clarifications. The effort you all went to is greatly appreciated.

As a band leader, I feel it is vital to indicate to the other musicians that the music is to be performed in some type of group(s) of 3 x eighth notes. In my view, a 4/4 count-in for a 6/8 song just doesn't sit right, especially when this could be improved significantly.

I prefer the suggestion by several members to count it such as 1,2 123,123,123,...

Thanks again to everyone for your input.

Veteran
Veteran
I learned from this thread that it appears it must be possible to alter the count-in to suit time signatures (from the -68_BOS style), so perhaps we can recommend in the Wishlist some styles where this should be done.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I learned from this thread that it appears it must be possible to alter the count-in to suit time signatures (from the -68_BOS style), so perhaps we can recommend in the Wishlist some styles where this should be done.

Good point Matt.
I am genuinely hoping that an existing Wishlist item which requests that the count-in matches the time-signature of the first bar will be available one day.

If the first bar is 6/8 it should be able to provide a count-in in a format such as 1, 2, 1,2,3,1,2,3

I think that the count-in is currently recorded as a fixed part of the style and this is what possibly needs to be changed.

I do know there has been a huge amount of support for both the count-in to match the time signature, and also for it to be selectable locally for a song, and not a global setting (all or nothing) function.

We can only hope it will be introduced.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195