You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#428526 - 09/02/17 11:35 AM [Other Programs Wishlist] Publish Manuals in ePUB Format
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Band-in-a-Box and RealBand manuals presently are provided electronically as pdf files. While pdf files are generally are okay for display on a computer screen they do not adapt to all resolutions well. Similarly pdf files are terrible when viewed on alternate displays such as a tablet, e-reader or smartphone. EPUB was created specifically to resolve the issue of viewing documents on various displays. EPUB is the most widely supported vendor-independent XML-based (as opposed to PDF) e-book format; that is, it is supported by the largest number of hardware readers. More information about the ePUB standard is available +++ HERE +++

This wishlist request is for PG Music to provide user manuals electronically as ePUB files in addition to the current, pdf, file format.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#428534 - 09/02/17 12:05 PM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Interesting info; thanks Jim.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#431466 - 09/28/17 01:01 AM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
DeaconBlues09 Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Merkaz, Israel
+1

#431515 - 09/28/17 10:41 AM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
doctormidi Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Torino, ITALY
+1 for me, also!

#431519 - 09/28/17 11:40 AM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I actually tried to convert the PDF file to ePub format, but it fails on something in the file. I'll look at it more closely as I have time. Clearly, PGMusic should do this, but I just thought I'd give it a shot so I can have it on my Kindle. I use Calibre (free) to convert various document formats to ePub or Mobi formats.

If I get a clean conversion in the near future, I'll post a copy for folks to take a look at.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#431530 - 09/28/17 12:53 PM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

In reading a little about this, I noticed Kindle is one of the few devices not supported. Maybe that has changed since the articles I read.

There is no way to save a Microsoft Word file to ePub but there are workarounds using a third-party utility.

I did not look yet at other programs that could save a PDF as an ePub but there appear to be some.

John, perhaps the problem you ran into is similar to Music XML, which I understand to be a similar concept to ePub. There may be syntax requirements that haven't yet been standardized. In Music XML, a single misplaced or missing character, or missing or misspelled tag, can cause the importing program to reject the file (sometimes with no warning message).
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#431534 - 09/28/17 01:53 PM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
For Kindle, you have to convert to MOBI format. I've helped another Music Vendor convert their documentation accordingly (Diamond Cut Software). The problem is that my source material for BIAB was the PDF file, rather than the source Word File. The Diamond Cut folks provided me with the Word document, which made the conversion much easier.

Actually, you can load a PDF and view on Kindle, but then you don't get adjustable text sizes and it becomes very difficult to read. I didn't spend a lot of time with it yesterday, but will probably pursue it further. I tried to convert the PDF back to Word, but it died about 50% through. I'll try some other means to see if I can do it.

Barnes and Noble Nook requires the EPUB format. The Calibre application supports both formats (and others).

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#431556 - 09/28/17 03:37 PM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Calibre was mention in several how-to articles about using Word.

You would think Word would just add it as a supported file type.

#434577 - 10/21/17 10:06 PM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
If it's an open standard and is gaining popularity with devices especially suitable for reading electronic format material. +1

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#450375 - 01/10/18 03:35 PM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Bump primarily to allow more people the opportunity to support the idea of having electronic manuals available in the ePub format.

Edited by Jim Fogle (01/10/18 03:49 PM)
Edit Reason: Removed misinformation
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#459173 - 02/25/18 12:06 PM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Support.

+1

#459231 - 02/25/18 05:18 PM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: Jim Fogle]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Good idea

+1

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#459405 - 02/27/18 01:02 AM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: MarioD]
doctormidi Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Torino, ITALY
Support.

+1

#459410 - 02/27/18 02:49 AM [Other Programs Wishlist] Re: Publish Manuals in ePUB Format [Re: doctormidi]
Teunis Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Gold Coast, Queensland, Austra...
Get it done correctly so that text size works and graphics are viewable.

+1

PG Music News
National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Forum Stats
28071 Members
57 Forums
54411 Topics
449796 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
ugtk, Laureli06, helenmai, chuckster55, KeithR

28071 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 160