Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi, my C drive partition is fairly full less than 30gig Left. When I get updates etc I need move and delete stuff. BB for example lives entirely on my D drive partition. I am contemplating installing an SSD drive to greatly increase the C drive. Is it worth going to an SSD drive?

Thanks in advance Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
I've now got two machines that have each been retro-fitted with 2TB SSD's

One is a desktop, the other a laptop.

Both of these are used for fairly intensive software development.

Performance is remarkably better. No problems here.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks VT.

Tony

Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
I have SSD boot drives in all my computers. It is the single best updgade to a computer you can do.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Matt, I thought that would be the answer but I needed reassurance.

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Tony, since you will be replacing a hard drive with an SSD, make sure auto defrag is turned off.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks

Veteran
Veteran
I've been using SSD for the C:\ drive on my machines for a few years now. I still use HDD for my D:\ drives for all data and media since it's cheaper for a much larger amount of storage.

Tip: Just install your programs on the C:\, everything else to D:\. I even re-point all my Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos default folders to D:\.

I just created a folder on the root D:\ called DataFolders and moved them all per the instructions:

Moving Your User Folders

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Teunis
Hi, my C drive partition is fairly full less than 30gig Left. .. I am contemplating installing an SSD drive to greatly increase the C drive. Is it worth going to an SSD drive?

Thanks in advance Tony

From that I assume you are not only changing to SSD, but increasing the storage size, correct?
If this is the case, since your sig says you have 16 gig of RAM, I would agree that this is likely the most significant performance increase option for you.

If your new drive is larger, that solves problem 1 (less than 30 gig left on C:, though for many systems 30 gig is plenty)
If it is much much faster, that covers any problems that may be induced by solving problem 1.

In other words, it will not only be bigger, it will very likely be much faster.
Sometimes bigger means slower, in your case it'll likely be much faster for boot time, loading apps and other such functions when changing to SSD.

To me, yes it is worth it.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
It is absolutely worth it. Since using a SSD, my computer no joke runs 10x faster - easily. That aside, the increase in space is a major bonus as well. If you work exclusively in .wav files as many of us do, it makes a world of difference.

Cheers,
Deryk
Veteran
Veteran
Emphatically yes! My seven-year-old DAW with SSD C: drive boots to Windows in 20 seconds. I just this summer upgraded the drive from 128 Gb to 500.

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, my machine is about the same age as Richard's and have similar boot-up speeds. Still 43 GB free space, but have to go to a larger SSD drive at some point.

Worth it? I'd call it an "essential" upgrade!

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks to the many responses. I will be taking my PC into a support shop to have a 512gig SSD installed on Saturday.

Tony

Veteran
Veteran
Tony, when I did the upgrade, I had the shop clone the old drive and install the new one. It worked flawlessly from the moment I booted up.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
Tony, when I did the upgrade, I had the shop clone the old drive and install the new one. It worked flawlessly from the moment I booted up.

R.

Hi Ryszard, thanks, that is the plan it will be easier that way and not a lot more expensive.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 01/17/18 04:48 PM.

Expert
Expert
Quote:
Sometimes bigger means slower, in your case it'll likely be much faster for boot time, loading apps and other such functions when changing to SSD

Really, when you don’t know the answer, it’s ok not to post one.

With an SSD, bigger does not mean slower—ever.

BIAB 2023 Audiophile, 24/60 Core M2 Mac Studio Ultra/8TB/192GB Sonoma, M1 MBAir, 2012 MBP
Digital Performer 11, LogicPro
Finale27.4, Dorico5, Encore5, SmartScorePro64, Notion6, Overture5
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Mike Halloran
Quote:
Sometimes bigger means slower, in your case it'll likely be much faster for boot time, loading apps and other such functions when changing to SSD

Really, when you don’t know the answer, it’s ok not to post one.

With an SSD, bigger does not mean slower—ever.

It’s unfortunate when quoting out of context might confuse the meaning. Taken in total, Rharv’s comments made perfect sense.

I think your point may be that SSDs come in different specs. Assuming the same manufacturer, quality and design, I agree the larger SSD will be faster. But that isn’t what Rharv was talking about.

Teunis Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi, I got what Rharv meant and with his thoughts in mind and also Matts suggestions I changed my mind and upped the size of the SSD from 256G to 512G. With 256G I wasn't really gain a lot of space. With 512G I'll have headroom of over 50% in the short term. I have moved BB and RealBand back to the C drive in readiness.

Tomorrow for other reasons I won't need the PC for two weeks so the IT shop can have it.

Thanks again

Veteran
Veteran
You will be amazed. Don’t forget, remind the shop to turn off Defrag on that SSD.

Expert
Expert
Matt Don’t forget, remind the shop to turn off Defrag on that SSD.

So you do not defrag the ssd drives is that what you mean Matt.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195